Planet Fitness kicks out Muslim woman for wearing head scarf

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You'd be silly to think all PF are like this. And quite frankly it's pretty childish to bad mouth a gym just because of its philosophy. People go there to get in shape and don't need to be annoyed by a bunch of grunters. If you're one of those people and used to go to a PF you're the only one at fault for being dumb enough to not realize their rules.

I find the fact that you think people exerting themselves enough to not remain perfectly silent while working out to be annoying to be...kind of disturbing.

Also, just so we're clear, headbands are also annoying? And skinny strapped tank tops? And that's why they're banned?

There is no reason to grunt to the point to where it's audible for people on the other side of the gym. Zero. If you want the attention to be all on you, go to some meat head gym. As I already said- I see people with headbands all the time at PF so I don't really know how much truth there is to that. And I don't pay attention enough to skinny strapped tank tops... whatever that is. I certainly see people in tank tops

Wow. Yes, I suppose you wouldn't want to be a gym with people like me and would much prefer to be surrounded by nonjudgmental people like yourself.

I totally get it now.
  • Bibianna2012
    Bibianna2012 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My PF is cool. No discrimination at my place.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    You'd be silly to think all PF are like this. And quite frankly it's pretty childish to bad mouth a gym just because of its philosophy. People go there to get in shape and don't need to be annoyed by a bunch of grunters. If you're one of those people and used to go to a PF you're the only one at fault for being dumb enough to not realize their rules.

Really? I'd talk poorly of any company that I feel has faulty logic, poor business practices, and in fact, can cause harm to their customers. What do you think the Better Business Bureau does? Yelp?
  • Achrya
    Options

Really? I'd talk poorly of any company that I feel has faulty logic, poor business practices, and in fact, can cause harm to their customers. What do you think the Better Business Bureau does? Yelp?

This is also a good point. I went to Mexican place back home (Aiea, Hawaii) and the service was crap, the food was awful, and my drink was a watered down mess. I certainly did go to Yelp and 'bad mouth' that establishment. /shrug
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

It's philosophy is to not judge or intimidate. So you think that judging and intimidating is something gyms should encourage then? Can cause harm to their customers? Explain that one. I'm dying to hear this
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think the dress code is for health and safety reasons; a scarf could get tangled in the equipment and strangle the person. Also bandannas are used for gang affiliation which would intimidate some people. It is the only gym I can afford, so I follow the rules and mind my own business. P.S. The scarves retain sweat and create a "stank"

You're right about a long scarf being a safety hazard, which is why we also have headcoverings that do not dangle. And they're washable too! Ingenious, those fashion designers these days. :flowerforyou:
  • MBrothers22
    Options

This is also a good point. I went to Mexican place back home (Aiea, Hawaii) and the service was crap, the food was awful, and my drink was a watered down mess. I certainly did go to Yelp and 'bad mouth' that establishment. /shrug

If their philosophy was to serve ****ty food then you're dumb to think it'd be anything else. PF philosophy is no judging or intimidating. Likewise, you'd be dumb to go there if you want to do such things.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with this place? I honestly didn't know anything about this chain (other than the lunk alarm, or whatever it is) until the recent news stories about it. This place seriously seems like an ongoing SNL skit. I would never want to work out at a place like this.

Do they really not allow you to wear headbands, or am I missing a joke? :noway:

Honestly I'm pretty sure about 90% of these news articles are part of PF's intentional marketing strategy. Not sure about this one though, since it seems likely to actually cost them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

If there philosophy was to serve ****ty food then you're dumb to think it'd be anything else. PF philosophy is no judging or intimidating. Likewise, you'd be dumb to go there if you want to do such things.

Yep you fit right in. With the not judging.
  • Achrya
    Options
    I think the dress code is for health and safety reasons; a scarf could get tangled in the equipment and strangle the person. Also bandannas are used for gang affiliation which would intimidate some people. It is the only gym I can afford, so I follow the rules and mind my own business. P.S. The scarves retain sweat and create a "stank"

You're right about a long scarf being a safety hazard, which is why we also have headcoverings that do not dangle. And they're washable too! Ingenious, those fashion designers these days. :flowerforyou:

Get out, with your logic and your sense.

It's not like this woman offered to go and get a different type of head covering, in an attempt to smooth the issue over, and it's not as if that covering may very well have been a headcovering that didn't dangle (we'll never no, since they didn't allow her to switch out to something else).
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize we had Planet Fitness locations in Quebec.

:laugh:

:drinker:
  • mondriantree
    mondriantree Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Clothes you can wash... What sorcery is this? I thought we lived in the Middle Ages and wore the same clothing until it fell apart!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

It's philosophy is to not judge or intimidate. So you think that judging and intimidating is something gyms should encourage then? Can cause harm to their customers? Explain that one. I'm dying to hear this

They judge more than any other gym. I have gone to plenty of gyms like Gold's, smaller powerlifting gyms, midsize family gyms, and currently a gym that is a mix of stay at home moms, working people, and people who would absolutely set off the lunk alarm just by walking in the door. Never have I been a member of a gym that would throw someone out based on an arbitrary set of appearances. And never have the "meathead" gyms tossed out someone doing work to better themselves. So who judges and intimidates?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I find the fact that you think people exerting themselves enough to not remain perfectly silent while working out to be annoying to be...kind of disturbing.

Also, just so we're clear, headbands are also annoying? And skinny strapped tank tops? And that's why they're banned?

There is no reason to grunt to the point to where it's audible for people on the other side of the gym. Zero. If you want the attention to be all on you, go to some meat head gym. As I already said- I see people with headbands all the time at PF so I don't really know how much truth there is to that. And I don't pay attention enough to skinny strapped tank tops... whatever that is. I certainly see people in tank tops

I like making noise when I exert myself... it adds to the pleasure.
  • MBrothers22
    Options

If there philosophy was to serve ****ty food then you're dumb to think it'd be anything else. PF philosophy is no judging or intimidating. Likewise, you'd be dumb to go there if you want to do such things.

Who am I judging? If a business lays out what they are about and you go in there and get mad because it's something different, that's your own fault. How is that hard to comprehend? If "insert gym name here" promotes a body building attitude and I go in there not wanting to feel judged in my efforts to lose weight, it's my own fault for being dumb
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    We don't have planet fitness gyms around here, but I definitely wouldn't go to one anyway. I've always heard bad things about them and everyone says it's a very limited gym anyway.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options

Who am I judging? If a business lays out what they are about and you go in there and get mad because it's something different, that's your own fault. How is that hard to comprehend? If "insert gym name here" promotes a body building attitude and I go in there not wanting to feel judged in my efforts to lose weight, it's my own fault for being dumb

You need a "breakfast of champions" :drinker:
  • Achrya
    Options

If their philosophy was to serve ****ty food then you're dumb to think it'd be anything else. PF philosophy is no judging or intimidating. Likewise, you'd be dumb to go there if you want to do such things.

PF's philosophy is to not judge people, by excluding people, clothing, and equipment that doesn't fit their 'mold'. None judgement via exclusion is something I have no problem mocking.

But again, keep showing that 'No judgement zone' spirit. Remind me why when I was overweight and out of shape I still preferred to work out with 'lunks and meatheads'. I'm not intimidating or in amazing shape, I don't grunt or drop weights, I don't walk about in tiny shorts or my sports bra, I'm slow and become out of breath after about 2 miles...and Planet Fitness is still a place I'd never visit.
  • MBrothers22
    Options

I like making noise when I exert myself... it adds to the pleasure.

OK well I'm sorry you have no consideration for anyone else around you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Annoying, grunters, meatheads, dumb-- these don't seem like judgmental words to you?
This discussion has been closed.