Planet Fitness kicks out Muslim woman for wearing head scarf

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous. The article states that " McDaniel says she’s gone to another Planet Fitness in her area a number of times with her colorful head scarf on and never had a problem. " Then why are they booting her now?

Because arbitrary location by location crap where they have the leeway to make things up on the fly
  • RobertHButler
    Options
    I think the dress code is for health and safety reasons; a scarf could get tangled in the equipment and strangle the person. Also bandannas are used for gang affiliation which would intimidate some people. It is the only gym I can afford, so I follow the rules and mind my own business. P.S. The scarves retain sweat and create a "stank"
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    It is in fact "Judgement free zone". Because if you follow "their standards" you won't be judged. I agree their rules look weird, but that's how they built their identity. If you sign up then you gotta accept and comply to their rules.

Except at another location, they were perfectly fine with it. And surely she was wearing it when she signed up and they didn't say a thing then. Now it's not accepted?
    Normally she shouldn't have been accepted at any location (Staff problem alert)
    I wore a headband once and I would've been kicked out if I refused the advice given by the staff member to follow the rules (which I believe should be in the paper when you sign up)
    I'm fine with anything as long as they're transparent with me from the beginning.

You serisously aren't comparing a common headband to a religious head dress. And normally she WOULD be accepted at EVERY location. It is in their COORPORATE BY-LAWS. They even quote it in the news article.

Maybe I was wrong on that one. (Comparing)
    But yeah it looks like their policy doesn't allow people to make others feel uncomfortable. As far as religion is involved I haven'd pried much further.

That is their policy...except when it comes to religious attire. Articles of clothing that are part of one's religious beliefs and culture are allowed.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    I think the dress code is for health and safety reasons; a scarf could get tangled in the equipment and strangle the person. Also bandannas are used for gang affiliation which would intimidate some people. It is the only gym I can afford, so I follow the rules and mind my own business. P.S. The scarves retain sweat and create a "stank"

And that is fine...but we are talking about a hijab here...not a common scarf.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    erm..we are talking New Mexico here folks..nuff said
  • rduhlir
    Options
    That's ridiculous. The article states that " McDaniel says she’s gone to another Planet Fitness in her area a number of times with her colorful head scarf on and never had a problem. " Then why are they booting her now?

Because arbitrary location by location crap where they have the leeway to make things up on the fly

Except for the fact that that location broke a coorporate rule and will result in the lady winning that lawsuit.
  • Achrya
    Options

Then they probably shouldn't have allowed a Muslim woman who covers her hair because of her religion to sign up, huh?
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It is in fact "Judgement free zone". Because if you follow "their standards" you won't be judged. I agree their rules look weird, but that's how they built their identity. If you sign up then you gotta accept and comply to their rules.

Except at another location, they were perfectly fine with it. And surely she was wearing it when she signed up and they didn't say a thing then. Now it's not accepted?
    I wore a headband once and I would've been kicked out if I refused the advice given by the staff member to follow the rules (which I believe should be in the paper when you sign up)
    I'm fine with anything as long as they're transparent with me from the beginning.

I agree with you...but the bill of rights trumps contract law. Even if both parties agreed to a dress code which bans any/all religious clothing...a lawsuit can still be filed and won if access is denied due to religious reasons. In this case, supposedly she replied to the employee and said "I am muslim". Can't turn her away after that.

Is it a safety issue? I mean, are they worried the head scarf would get caught on equipment, etc, because that seems to be a concern that has merit. ANY loose fitted clothing could conceivably be banned I suppose... Just a thought.

Also, to the person who said she may have been wearing it when she signed up... SO what. I could sign up in go-go boots and wouldn't expect the staff to automatically assume I plan to wear them to work out....
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options

And that is fine...but we are talking about a hijab here...not a common scarf.

Who knows someone might give to the scarf a religious meaning :laugh:
  • RobertHButler
    Options
    ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Except frack that.
  • Achrya
    Options

Except for the fact that that location broke a coorporate rule and will result in the lady winning that lawsuit.

I agree. I'm not agreeing with the rule, and this woman is probably going to win her suit, just stating how this happened. They have 'rules' but then they bend and change them from location to location.
  • HedgeHugs
    HedgeHugs Posts: 80
    Options

I agree. I'm not agreeing with the rule, and this woman is probably going to win her suit, just stating how this happened. They have 'rules' but then they bend and change them from location to location.

Exactly.
  • Achrya
    Options

I agree with you...but the bill of rights trumps contract law. Even if both parties agreed to a dress code which bans any/all religious clothing...a lawsuit can still be filed and won if access is denied due to religious reasons. In this case, supposedly she replied to the employee and said "I am muslim". Can't turn her away after that.

Is it a safety issue? I mean, are they worried the head scarf would get caught on equipment, etc, because that seems to be a concern that has merit. ANY loose fitted clothing could conceivably be banned I suppose... Just a thought.

Also, to the person who said she may have been wearing it when she signed up... SO what. I could sign up in go-go boots and wouldn't expect the staff to automatically assume I plan to wear them to work out....

The woman states she told the staff she was Muslim. Do you think she showed up in her headscarf, signed up, mentioned she was Muslim, and no one thought "gee, I wonder if she's one of those Muslims who follows the edict to keep their hair covered?"

Either way the rules allow for religious items to be worn. So. /shrug
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is like the Stepford Wife of gyms apparently. I'm so glad we don't have those around here.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I know this is off of the main topic, but why can't someone wear a headband to the gym. I wear a headband everytime I work out and dance and lots of other times as well. Even in my profile pic. That's how I keep my hair out of my face. It's not quite long enough for a ponytail, sometimes ponytails bother me on my head, and when I have a ponytail it's not comfortable for exercises that have me on my back such as in yoga and dance.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I know this is off of the main topic, but why can't someone wear a headband to the gym. I wear a headband everytime I work out and dance and lots of other times as well. Even in my profile pic. That's how I keep my hair out of my face. It's not quite long enough for a ponytail, sometimes ponytails bother me on my head, and when I have a ponytail it's not comfortable for exercises that have me on my back such as in yoga and dance.

One guy from the staff explained me that the headband would make me look like an athlete, thus intimidate people. I don't know whether I should laugh or cry, or both to that statement, but that's what he told me.
  • Achrya
    Options

The really funny part is...PF sells headbands. I wonder if they kick you out if you're wearing one of their headbands? Which I'm sure meet some manner of standards that non-PF ones don't meet.

3_123301_161175_W7000-White-Text-L.png

3_27169_43809_PF-headband_586x529.jpg
  • HedgeHugs
    HedgeHugs Posts: 80
    Options

The really funny part is...PF sells headbands. I wonder if they kick you out if you're wearing one of their headbands? Which I'm sure meet some manner of standards that non-PF ones don't meet.

3_123301_161175_W7000-White-Text-L.png

3_27169_43809_PF-headband_586x529.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Wow and Lol to all of this!
This discussion has been closed.