• Tight_Fit
    Tight_Fit Posts: 453
    Options
    You're trying to rationalize why you're overweight

^This
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I love baking cupcakes, and I'm pretty darn good at it, but that doesn't make it okay to eat them all afterwards (which I do >> and need to stop doing.)
    The tend to have the same number of calories as store-bought cupcakes if not more.
    Just because it tastes fresher or better or is homemade doesn't give it fewer calories.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Have you ever considered that you can cook and eat food like this AND not be overweight? Personally, I LOVE to cook. If you come to my house, you will get a five-star meal and dessert! I cook with butter, eggs, flour, potatoes, and sugar. I drink 350 calorie barrel-aged craft beers or wine a few days a week. I use full-fat cheese, heavy cream and bacon regularly. I'm 5'9" and 135 pounds and have maintained that weight for two years now (after losing 66 pounds).

For me, it's all about moderation and portion sizes. :smile:
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    The fact that your justifying your weight means that you arent dedicated to losing it. I love to bake from scratch - LOVE IT! and i love showing off with my baked goods, BUT just because I make it, doesnt mean I eat it all or even that its ok for me to eat it all. If you think its ok that you're fat, then....ok - but its just an excuse- not a good reason.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I get the sentiment here for sure. I LOVE cooking, and don't like limiting myself with ingredients. I want to experience full ranges of flavour and keep things experimental!

That being said, losing weight is a huge priority of mine. How do I balance the two? I take a few minutes everyday to log my meals, recipes or ingredients so that I can decide what the proper portion will be for me to stay within calories. This usually ends up 1 of 2 ways for me:

Option 1: I'm really hungry and desire to eat a large amount. In this case, I will stick to lower cal ingredients, lots of vegetables, and minimal sauces so that I can eat a heaping plate of whatever I make. Subsitution is key!

Option 2: I'm really craving some comfort flavours. In this case, I will make whatever I am craving, full-fat, full-carb, full-sugar - WHATEVER - and then do the math to decide what size of modest portion is appropriate.

Either way, you can make it work! I also tend to eat smaller breakfasts and lunches because I like making extravagant dinners. You'll find your balance. I hope this helps. :smile:
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm about 30 lbs. overweight, but outside of the concept of portion control, it's because I'm an awesome cook. I make great bread, baked goods, amazing sauces, roasts, etc. and I make almost all of it from scratch. We go through tons of butter, eggs, flour, potatoes, sugar, etc. I love to cook, I love making big meals for my little family of 4, and it's even more exciting when I can show it off. I'm a stay-at-home mom, I feel like you should get a 5-star meal if you come over for dinner. and that's not to say we don't eat out some times, and I don't stock some junk food, but mostly, if I eat it, I made it.

I think you are definitely rationalizing being overweight. If it you're fine with your weight, then why are you worried about it?

If you're not fine with your weight and are a great cook, then challenge yourself by making great food that is also healthy. It can be just as fun and even more pride-inducing when a meal gets great reviews but is also healthy.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Anyone can make something that tastes good.

As I daily balance my own macros, and monitor other people's macros, micros and suggest alterternatives that suit their time, palette, budget and health... I'm always confused why people think someone is a good chef just because they can make something that tastes good.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options

Option 1: I'm really hungry and desire to eat a large amount. In this case, I will stick to lower cal ingredients, lots of vegetables, and minimal sauces so that I can eat a heaping plate of whatever I make. Subsitution is key!

Option 2: I'm really craving some comfort flavours. In this case, I will make whatever I am craving, full-fat, full-carb, full-sugar - WHATEVER - and then do the math to decide what size of modest portion is appropriate.

I am a stay at home mom who loves to cook as well and this is what I do. It is very easy to enter recipes especially when you get the hang of it.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You're overweight. Why do you need to feel superior?
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel kind of bad. I'm young and a still novice cook, but my weight was gained from processed foods and excess junk when I first entered college. Should I feel inferior to someone overweight from home cooked meals?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    did op ever come back ???
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel kind of bad. I'm young and a still novice cook, but my weight was gained from processed foods and excess junk when I first entered college. Should I feel inferior to someone overweight from home cooked meals?
    Apparently so.

WTH.

OP, self control is self control. You don't have any more self control than the person scarfing down five cheeseburgers from McDonald's/

Is the fat billionaire who only eats at 5-star restaurants superior in his fatness to the soccer mom who eats at TGIFridays?

Eat less, move more. You won't be fat anymore.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Will you be proud of 'nurturing' your family when your daughter is 30lb overweight and crying because she's being bullied for being fat?

I don't think that is fair. She never said she forces her children to clean their plates. Letting us eat intuitively is one of the best things my parents ever did for my sister and I. We were allowed to stop eating when we were full, not when our plates were empty.
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Not crazy...quite normal...and in denial. At least it sounds that way from your post.

My biggest lesson learned and recommendation to you is to get a food scale. You can still cook homemade food and be a dang good cook. Just weigh out your serving size when you are done. We can all overeat whether we are eating homemade food, fast food, or at a 5 star restaurant.

You can find your ingredients in the database even without a label (like fruits/veggies), add them individually based on scale weight. Or you can build your recipes for the homemade items you are making frequently. If you use the phone app you can also add items based on scanning the UPC with the bar code scanner. Easy and fun (yes I'm easily entertained!) Might take a little more time now at the beginning starting out but it will get faster and easier the more you do it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Have you ever considered that you can cook and eat food like this AND not be overweight? Personally, I LOVE to cook. If you come to my house, you will get a five-star meal and dessert! I cook with butter, eggs, flour, potatoes, and sugar. I drink 350 calorie barrel-aged craft beers or wine a few days a week. I use full-fat cheese, heavy cream and bacon regularly. I'm 5'9" and 135 pounds and have maintained that weight for two years now (after losing 66 pounds).

For me, it's all about moderation and portion sizes. :smile:

This! Forget about trying to cook low-fat and low sugar. Neither of those ingredients will automatically make you or your family fat (as you already know, as you say your daughters are thin). It's all about portion control and moderation.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    if you got overweight eating free trade foods that you bought at Whole Foods and transported home in a Prius, then it doesn't count.

just kidding. it still counts.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone out there like me? or is my husband right?

There's lots of us out there like you-pretty much any of us can find a way to rationalize what we do or don't do. But your husband is also right. :wink:

While you may say that you are overweight because you are a stay at home mom who is a great cook, you'll find the exact opposite: those who feel they are overweight because they are single moms who can't cook or feel too exhausted to cook and have to rely on drive thru or take out (that is also not often labeled or portioned correctly.)

If the weight loss was important enough, the time it takes to calorie count wouldn't stop you. (That's not a judgment, weight can't always be the # 1 priority in life.) As someone who is already a good cook, it's hard to imagine it adding that much more time. You could even go the route where you learn what a serving size is by appearance (deck of cards, your fist, etc) and arrange your plate that way.

All that said, it's not the worst thing in the world if you are a great cook who likes her own food. So instead of being smugly overweight, maybe you can be comfortably or contentedly overweight? Or something.
    This. And use the recipe builder to log. If you are using fresh ingredients, double check everything with this website:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    if you got overweight eating free trade foods that you bought at Whole Foods and transported home in a Prius, then it doesn't count.

just kidding. it still counts.

What?
    Noooooooooooooo!
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post, definitely got everyone thinking! What I did was find some good cookbooks and use ONLY those that include a calorie count per serving...and then I can enter them into MFP. One bit of effort and then I'm good for every time I use that one, done!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Cooking is great for the spirit and soul. It's wonderful that you love cooking, the challenge to yourself is to continue to cook and bake full of flavour, but also to log and to start working on new healthier recipes.

My husband and I love cooking, I also love baking. I don't have as much time to do so as I would like, but I cook and full roast dinner with all the trimings every weekend that I can, and I bake for pleasure, last weekend was a very banana-full banana loaf.

the great thing about baking is that you need to measure accurately for most baking to work, so you've already done lots of the work required for logging, also, I spotted the new import recipe function in MFP, so it's getting easier

as others have said there are loads of great - full flavour cookbooks out there, and even if you end up not using hteir recipes, it will give you loads of good ways to make your family recipes healthier

the main thing for me with baking, is sharing and portion control - by logging the ingredients when it goes in the oven, you have a good idea how much you can taste when it come out without it sending you over your limit

take advantage of the fact that you cook whole foods and ingredients to improve your diet, it should be easier for a home cook to eat well than for someone who relies on buyin ready-pprep, don't use it as an excuse

my downfall for weight gain was portion control, not the home cooking, starting to log helped me work out how much of my favourite meals i should be eating, it hasn't stopped me cooking