Smugly overweight??

Replies

• jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Have you ever considered that you can cook and eat food like this AND not be overweight? Personally, I LOVE to cook. If you come to my house, you will get a five-star meal and dessert! I cook with butter, eggs, flour, potatoes, and sugar. I drink 350 calorie barrel-aged craft beers or wine a few days a week. I use full-fat cheese, heavy cream and bacon regularly. I'm 5'9" and 135 pounds and have maintained that weight for two years now (after losing 66 pounds).

For me, it's all about moderation and portion sizes. :smile:

This!! I love to cook and cook for my boyfriend often. I haven't really changed the things I'm making, he likes them and its not his fault I got fat. Portion control is a wonderful thing :smile:
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    I'm a fantastic cook and I'm not overweight. I just have portion control, and you can too
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    if you got overweight eating free trade foods that you bought at Whole Foods and transported home in a Prius, then it doesn't count.

just kidding. it still counts.

I wish you had told me that before I bought my Prius! Harumph!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I'm a bit of a wine connoisseur, myself. It's been over a decade since I've tasted from a bottle less than $15.

Sure, I get drunk and beat my wife and kids, fight cops when I drink, and have a slew of DWIs - - but the important thing is that because I drink better booze, I'm not as bad as those other drunks.

This comparison brought to you by the letter J and the number 3.

Lmfao!
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    There is, in theory at least, nothing wrong with being overweight for any reason as long as you're 100% comfortable with any consequences associated with your weight. That said, if health is the driving factor the reason you're overweight probably will matter less. If you have, for instance, diabetes, it's not going to make you feel any better that you're overweight because you are an amazing chef.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    If carrying around that 30 pounds isn't bothering you and you are happy with your lifestyle, well. . . leave it at that. Why did you join MFP?

^^^^Yeah. Not sure why you would try to rationalize an unhealthy weight acceptance on this particular message board. Did you really think that you would get a lot of love for the fact that you're eating unhealthily (no matter who is making it), while teaching your children to eat the same way? In 20 years, do you want to look your 30 pound overweight "bolas de queso" in the eye and proudly tell them that their obesity is your doing? I didn't. That's why I'm changing my ways.

Instead of all that butter, flour and eggs, why not try to make healthier versions of those rich, fat-, sugar-, white flour- and calorie-laden foods?

Brilliant! +1
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    This makes me feel kind of bad. I'm young and a still novice cook, but my weight was gained from processed foods and excess junk when I first entered college. Should I feel inferior to someone overweight from home cooked meals?

My weight was gained during my last pregnancy when I was put on bed rest so I wouldn't lose the baby, so I win. Back to the corner with you now, missy! :tongue:
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member

Instead of all that butter, flour and eggs, why not try to make healthier versions of those rich, fat-, sugar-, white flour- and calorie-laden foods?

though it is possible to cook and eat healthily while still using butter lard and sugar

it's all about portions control and balance
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    I think, if you want a real, honest response...

It's actually worse when you're the primary cook than if you were to have had to rely on fast food and stuff because of work and lifestyle. When you are the cook, you have control over what you cook, how much you put on the plate, and how much you put in your mouth. You control how much of the fats and oils get used, the salt, the sugar, all of those things. Five star meal doesn't mean heaping platefuls. Have you ever been to a 5 star restaurant? The portions take up like 1/5 of the plate! Exquisite flavor without overload.
    Being a stay at home mom also leaves a person with little excuse, in my eyes. While I know SAH moms are busy with their own tasks, they are often way more active than the typical office worker, and can turn many every day house and kid tasks into aerobic exercise to stay in shape. Even if this activity assumption is not accurate, they are in control of the time.

Eating out becomes a "necessity" in some people's lives, as does having to do quick meals while working at a desk or driving. While this person is still responsible for portions and things, they don't have direct control over the ingredients. This compounded by the necessary sedentary nature of office work, it's a recipe for weight gain, pretty opposite the scenario you have in your life. This is one example of many.

I believe that hearty cooking and healthy weight can go hand in hand. My old housemate grew up in an old-school Italian home where it was always 6 course meals with heavy sauces and pasta, but he's almost too skinny. People with rich tastes are charged with the responsibility of leading rich and full active lives to counter-balance, and happiness seems to be found in the balance.

Most SAH moms I know who have gotten to be overweight and have looked at their own habits critically have come to admit that one of the primary issues that contributed to their weight gain was the propensity for unmeasured snacking and grazing throughout the day, along with "excusing" themselves from exercise because they run after their kids all day.

Fact of the matter is, if you can't take responsibility for the part you've played, no matter what you ate, there's still a long way to go before you'll be in a place to be successful.
  • Quasita
    This makes me feel kind of bad. I'm young and a still novice cook, but my weight was gained from processed foods and excess junk when I first entered college. Should I feel inferior to someone overweight from home cooked meals?

My weight was gained during my last pregnancy when I was put on bed rest so I wouldn't lose the baby, so I win. Back to the corner with you now, missy! :tongue:

This is funny... I gained my weight because when I was a teen, I developed an eating disorder and screwed up my metabolism so badly that by the time I started eating again, I couldn't process calorie counts over 900 or so. I gained a good chunk of it eating spinach salads and playing racquetball 3x a week. I guess I should feel bad too?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    You're trying to rationalize why you're overweight
    Boom.

Yup.

Fat is fat, whether you're smug about it or not. Being a great cook doesn't justify your weight problem or make it less bad. Watch the food network. Sure, plenty of them are overweight/obese, but not all. Look at Robert Irvine.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member

This is funny... I gained my weight because when I was a teen, I developed an eating disorder and screwed up my metabolism so badly that by the time I started eating again, I couldn't process calorie counts over 900 or so. I gained a good chunk of it eating spinach salads and playing racquetball 3x a week. I guess I should feel bad too?

You should all feel bad. Everyone should feel bad.
    Except for me, who ate half a pizza last night.
    (Pssst. No one needs to feel bad, just move on and make changes that work for them.)
  • samanthaxb
    samanthaxb Posts: 54 Member
    I'm a bit of a wine connoisseur, myself. It's been over a decade since I've tasted from a bottle less than $15.

Sure, I get drunk and beat my wife and kids, fight cops when I drink, and have a slew of DWIs - - but the important thing is that because I drink better booze, I'm not as bad as those other drunks.

LOL that is a bit of an over the top analogy…but I see what you did there…well played...

THIS made my day
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Ok - I'm looking for some "no, you're not crazy" here.

I feel like my fatness is "more ok" that someone who did it with eating out or prepared foods from the grocery store. I realize it's completely stupid...

or is my husband right?

You know the answer. You know he's right.

Sorry. I hate agreeing with husbands....
  • samanthaxb
    samanthaxb Posts: 54 Member
    I think, if you want a real, honest response...

It's actually worse when you're the primary cook than if you were to have had to rely on fast food and stuff because of work and lifestyle. When you are the cook, you have control over what you cook, how much you put on the plate, and how much you put in your mouth. You control how much of the fats and oils get used, the salt, the sugar, all of those things. Five star meal doesn't mean heaping platefuls. Have you ever been to a 5 star restaurant? The portions take up like 1/5 of the plate! Exquisite flavor without overload.
    Being a stay at home mom also leaves a person with little excuse, in my eyes. While I know SAH moms are busy with their own tasks, they are often way more active than the typical office worker, and can turn many every day house and kid tasks into aerobic exercise to stay in shape. Even if this activity assumption is not accurate, they are in control of the time.

Eating out becomes a "necessity" in some people's lives, as does having to do quick meals while working at a desk or driving. While this person is still responsible for portions and things, they don't have direct control over the ingredients. This compounded by the necessary sedentary nature of office work, it's a recipe for weight gain, pretty opposite the scenario you have in your life. This is one example of many.

I believe that hearty cooking and healthy weight can go hand in hand. My old housemate grew up in an old-school Italian home where it was always 6 course meals with heavy sauces and pasta, but he's almost too skinny. People with rich tastes are charged with the responsibility of leading rich and full active lives to counter-balance, and happiness seems to be found in the balance.

Most SAH moms I know who have gotten to be overweight and have looked at their own habits critically have come to admit that one of the primary issues that contributed to their weight gain was the propensity for unmeasured snacking and grazing throughout the day, along with "excusing" themselves from exercise because they run after their kids all day.

Fact of the matter is, if you can't take responsibility for the part you've played, no matter what you ate, there's still a long way to go before you'll be in a place to be successful.

Yes!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Shame the OP never came back....
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    Everyone in my family are great cooks including me. I didn't get fat from our fabulous cooking I got fat from over eating it :ohwell:
  • Quasita

You should all feel bad. Everyone should feel bad.
    Except for me, who ate half a pizza last night.
    (Pssst. No one needs to feel bad, just move on and make changes that work for them.)

Agreed. I should have put an "LOL" on mine because IDGAF if someone thinks their version of weight gain is somehow higher caliber than mine.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member

Truth.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    If you were overeating truly good food I could kind of see your point but overeating food loaded with butter etc. that's made at home is unlikely to be better for you than restaurant food loaded with butter etc.