RRRRAAAAAWWWWWRRRR

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    In for the RAWRs!!!
    Lifting and Krav Maga are my main passions... I'm a noob at both imho... I'll consider myself a noob forever, but I LOVE becoming a better noob. Beating the crap out of a heavy bag. Deadlifting again after six weeks off for a back injury that DIDN'T send me crying back to the couch. Running for an hour at a time, just because I can, because I never did for the first 40+ years of my life, but now, hell yes I can! And just doing everything that comes my way. A couple weeks ago, dragon boat racing. A couple weeks from now, indoor rock climbing. Late at night in my living room with the headphones on after everyone else is asleep, hula hoop dancing till my hips bruise.

A year ago, I never DREAMED moving around could be so much fun, and so empowering. Yes, RRRRAAAAAAWWWWWWWWRRRR!!!!

(PS: Mirey and Sara, you two are my heroes in so many ways!) :drinker:

Thank you so very much! That is truly an honor! :)

I think that being able to run, when you never thought you could... is the best feeling in the world. All through school I couldn't run.. I tried, and it hurt, and I would have pain, and hyperventilate and all sorts of trauma. The first time I ran 5km was such a joyous moment... and now I am a runner....

Doing things BECAUSE YOU CAN... is precious and amazing and WONDERFUL!
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    I had a sweet RRRRAAAWWWRRR moment about a month ago when my brother-in-law walked through my home gym after I had just finished DL'ing. I still had the plates on the bar on the ground and he looked up at me in disbelief and said "Did my brother lift all that!?!?!". I laughed and said "No way, dude….that was me.".

:noway: <---- His face.

BEASTMODE- ON!

*fist bumps*

Oh how I loved this story!!!
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    :) glad it motivates you!!!

how are you putting DB's over your head for a squat? I'm confused?

and also - if you have two 40 lb db's you can more than adequately squat (strength wise) a barbell (significantly more stable than 2 dumbbells) and it only weighs 45.

You TOTALLY got this.

Front Squat/push press...and I had 2 20's.

untitled_zps7af52acd.png

NICE.

I forget people do those with DB's- I use either the bar or a plate weight (depending on strength or endurance/time being the goals)

I've heard of people doing these and they work great... but I have a bit of a balance problem and I think it would come into play. Plus, I want to progressively load my squats with more weight, and would never be able to put that over my head... so I end up doing the OHP with 20lb dumbbells, and the squats with a bar. :)

I know I almost fall over doing lunges. LOL
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Love that you posted this - you look freaking amazing.

Also love that you added that what you love might not be for everyone and people can still get results doing things they love as long as they try. Women like you are such a huge motivator and aspiration for me!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    :) glad it motivates you!!!

how are you putting DB's over your head for a squat? I'm confused?

and also - if you have two 40 lb db's you can more than adequately squat (strength wise) a barbell (significantly more stable than 2 dumbbells) and it only weighs 45.

You TOTALLY got this.

Front Squat/push press...and I had 2 20's.

untitled_zps7af52acd.png

NICE.

I forget people do those with DB's- I use either the bar or a plate weight (depending on strength or endurance/time being the goals)

I've heard of people doing these and they work great... but I have a bit of a balance problem and I think it would come into play. Plus, I want to progressively load my squats with more weight, and would never be able to put that over my head... so I end up doing the OHP with 20lb dumbbells, and the squats with a bar. :)

When I increase my weights is when I'm going to have to get in the squat rack. I can only lift so much with dumbbells, and that's where my balance goes off. Once I start overhead lifting with 45+ pounds, I'm going to have to put my big girl panties on and get serious about squats. Overheads can be done without the squatting so I won't be losing an exercise. My legs are powerhouses, it's my core i'm working on so I have more stability (yoga seems to be helping out a lot with stability)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

it's like OHP- it is a slow progression- I mean OLY lifters do pretty much the same thing.

But you can do it via the bar- just a slow process- and making sure you have the right space.
    My legs are powerhouses, it's my core i'm working on so I have more stability (yoga seems to be helping out a lot with stability)

me to- my friend makes fun of my disproportionate *kitten*/legs to my piddly squat- mostly because I'm having issues holding together the middle with stability. :/
  • lilRicki
    Options

it's like OHP- it is a slow progression- I mean OLY lifters do pretty much the same thing.

But you can do it via the bar- just a slow process- and making sure you have the right space.
    My legs are powerhouses, it's my core i'm working on so I have more stability (yoga seems to be helping out a lot with stability)

me to- my friend makes fun of my disproportionate *kitten*/legs to my piddly squat- mostly because I'm having issues holding together the middle with stability. :/

Glad it's not just me... what i don't get is my planks are awesome, I can crunch and reverse crunch, lateral flexions are no problem, but I'm still unstable lol when are my abs going to kick in and help a sista out?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Glad it's not just me... what i don't get is my planks are awesome, I can crunch and reverse crunch, lateral flexions are no problem, but I'm still unstable lol when are my abs going to kick in and help a sista out?

no- its' definitely not just you. I'm a dancer- I spent at least 10 hrs a week holding first/second/fifth position- doing isolation's and all sorts of stuff- I'm no slouch in the "core" department but it's definitely an issue- it's not bracing the way I need it to!!!

I'm having a hard time isolating what needs fixing- I've been self troubleshooting- And I'm aware of what's happening- and not happening- but I am not getting the right cue to fix it. I very much do this like zig zag escalator up thing- butt- chest- butt- chest.... like almost a good morning/squat.

I'm going to see a coach for an evaluation on the 18th- I'm actually REALLY excited about going down there- I told them I needed help with form and that I had some cross training stuff and mobility stuff- so I'm interested to see what comes of it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

have a balance issue with lunges myself. I don't do the step forward variety anymore (unless its with dumbbells), for balance reasons and it just seems to aggressive for my old *kitten* thats popping a muscle every other month.

i just step back with my back leg. still balance issues but i can pick where i place my feet a little better and just seems a little easier on my joints.

as a side note, i almost never see guys do lunges and i had abandoned them for years until somewhat recently
  • lilRicki
    Options

have a balance issue with lunges myself. I don't do the step forward variety anymore (unless its with dumbbells), for balance reasons and it just seems to aggressive for my old *kitten* thats popping a muscle every other month.

i just step back with my back leg. still balance issues but i can pick where i place my feet a little better and just seems a little easier on my joints.

as a side note, i almost never see guys do lunges and i had abandoned them for years until somewhat recently

There were guys doing lunges all over the place last night, it is still a stellar workout, even without weights. The reverse lunges are definitely a little better when placing your feet, I am doing those right now. I bring my feet back together when I'm done the lunge so I can step back again, instead of leaving my foot behind me.
  • EllaBelleAces
    Options
    I've only just started working out. I'm not very good at it yet. I have no form, and don't always know what I am doing. But I like doing it. I like exercising (for the first time in my life) it's not a chore. I'm excited to go to the gym after work, or to go home and do a day with what I have there. I like the ache, and the sticky sweatiness, I like pushing myself till I feel like I can't possibly move another G-D step and then I take another one despite that.

I'm scared to take a rest day, because I am afraid that I will lose the desire to go back again. I hate everyone at the gym. In a completely irrational way. I'm jealous of everything they can do. But my RAWR moment is when someone totally buff (male or female) looks my way and gives me THE NOD. Like they are saying "Well on your way"
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    id-tap-that-*kitten*.gif
    :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    Options

step back is a bit easier- and works better for balance- it shifts the focus off that front quad (least for standing in place stepping forward and then back to center- then forwardr and back- vs back- center back)- the step forward pushes off the front quad heavily to get back to center- this is why I also really like doing walking lunges- not in places lunges- it change the dynamic- I do mine forward and back with a single leg pause in the middle (holding one foot up between)

There were surprisingly more people at my LA fitness who did lunges (walking across the floor lunges) than now at my powerhouse- but I think that's because of the layout- I still do them- occasionally you see folks doing them- but it's certainly not as often.

don't forget unless you have a specific neurological issue- balance can be greatly improved with practice ;)
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    LOVE your post. I never imagined in a million years that I would fall head over heels for lifting. I started NROL4W almost 2 months ago and I am in <3....never looking back.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

and eating this:

e3943794-2d38-4c6c-9aeb-912f79af999b_zpsfda80b1b.png

You are my new best friend. This is my most favorite ice cream EVER!

And back on topic - I'm not to the point where I can RRRAAAWWWRRR about anything exercise-wise, but I love setting food/macro/cal goals and sticking to them!

And you my lovely are amazing, and strong, and totally beautiful, and I'm SO glad you're my friend :heart:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    id-tap-that-*kitten*.gif

• hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Getting in the zone when swimming or walking makes me raaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwrrr. Just when it's you and the element, and you're gliding along. It feels like minimal effort - or it does until you stop!

I use weight machines (don't judge: best I can do at the moment in the work gym), and while I don't usually feel like a beast when working out, I feel awesome afterwards. And there's always that moment when you're following someone else and have to notch up the weights before using the machine. (Especially when you're following a guy!!!)
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    I've only just started working out. I'm not very good at it yet. I have no form, and don't always know what I am doing. But I like doing it. I like exercising (for the first time in my life) it's not a chore. I'm excited to go to the gym after work, or to go home and do a day with what I have there. I like the ache, and the sticky sweatiness, I like pushing myself till I feel like I can't possibly move another G-D step and then I take another one despite that.

I'm scared to take a rest day, because I am afraid that I will lose the desire to go back again. I hate everyone at the gym. In a completely irrational way. I'm jealous of everything they can do. But my RAWR moment is when someone totally buff (male or female) looks my way and gives me THE NOD. Like they are saying "Well on your way"

This gave me chills! It's what I love to read!
    :heart:

*gives you THE NOD*
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    You guys are sooooooo INSPIRING!!!! I MISS going to the gym up to 5 days a week! It's been cut down due to my long working hours. I HATE THAT! Gotta get back to it as I've gained a little back. YOU ALL inspire meeeee!!!! :flowerforyou: :love:
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    SO MUCH AWESOME!!

I feel so honored to have you on my FL, Mirey!!! Such an inspiration every single day....RRRAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWRRRR!!!!!