Why am I not losing? I want your opion!

Options
Why am I not losing weight?

And possibly help me set realistic calorie goals? I have no idea how much I need to maintain, or how much to lose. I've been logging religiously and I think I'm stuck on a plateau.

I'm not the kind of person who can eat a certain amount of calories everyday. Some days I'm ravishing and have over 2,000, many I'm fine at 1,400 or 1,500, and I'm commonly happy settling at 1,600-1,800.

But lately I feel like I've been putting in more effort than ever and feeling like I'm starving. It's effecting my moods, my levels of satisfaction with life, stress levels, basically everything feeling like I'm seriously restricting myself with no reward for the effort.

Can you see what my average calories are per week? How do you figure that?

Saturday I weighed 185.2 and had 2,285 calories. I was absolutely starving and ravished in my extreme hunger, craving red meat and chocolate because my period was starting. Sunday I had 1,692, Monday 1,589, Tuesday 2,258, Wednesday 1,825, Thursday 1,493 and today woke up weighing 187.2~!

Normally I would just assume this is a bit of fluctuation, but I have been stuck in the 180's for months, dancing between 185-187, feeling like I'm starving to death.

I weigh all my food on the digital scale, and when I log the exercise calories I do them realistically, no as per MFP's notoriously inflated estimates. (100 calories per mile, 200 cal for an hour of Parkour, etc...)

My diary is open with detailed notes going back through Jan 1. (I find that helpful to run the report and see a long term view vs. flipping through the pages.) I'm trying to increase my exercise more by walking a couple miles everyday to add a couple hundred calories I can eat.

I am exercising 2-3 times a week, maybe more, and I'm about to start lifting once a week again.

I was in the 190's in January, so at the end of Jan I did successfully move into the 180's and have managed to stay put, but my goal is to be in the 170's by swim suit season, which I feel like is an incredibly reasonable goal!

I'm sure the answer is basically just eat less, but I really feel like the less I eat the more prone I am to have these 2,000+ calorie days because I'm hungry all the time.

And I want to be good to my body, I want to think "If I'm still very hungry, I can go over and make up for it later, because it's all about long term averages."

I am eating high-protein, satisfying things, lots of fruits and veggies. Booze and chocolate are definitely my vices, I have no intention of giving them up, just fitting them into the diet in a realistic and balanced manner.

I can't take a multi-vitamin because they make me constipated. TMI I know, but a lot of people recommend that and it's not realistic for me.

I try to cook healthy, large, high protein dinners I can eat throughout the week. I do notice a pattern that when I have my favorite dishes on hand in the fridge (pork and chicken carnitas, with lettuce, cheese and sour cream) I feel much more satisfied and full and nourished, and my overall calorie count is much lower. In light of this, I am going to start cooking more of these foods as they are my staples, and I currently have several pounds of each in the fridge, hoping for a better week. I can really eat a ton of this type salad if I go real light on the cheese and only have 500-700 cal, so it helps for the ravenous hunger I sometimes have come over me.

I do want to:

Lose slowly, and lift because I know this is why my skin isn't all saggy already.

Exercise out doors in a practical fitness style.

Have a diet comprised primarily of veggies, fruit, meat, eggs, nuts, tea, coffee and dairy.

Have my vices like booze and chocolate once a week bare minimum.

Have a diet and lifestyle surrounding it that is realistic and practical that I can carry on for the long term and use forever, on that I'm satisfied and happy with, and one I feel good about, that makes me feel good.

Cook large meals that I can eat throughout the week for maximum satisfaction for my goals.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I do not want to:

Restrict calories to the point of misery, then giving up.

Binge.

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

Anyways, look it over if you have time or are so incline. I'll hear any advice. Even if it's to dramatically change the look of my workout attire or buy a bloomin' onion from the Outback.

I've come far and won't give up. I'm trying to re-evaluate my method.

Replies

• HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    When I want to eat calorie dense foods I use discipline to stop myself.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    are you using MFP method or TDEE?

It appears that your calorie counts are all over the place....my suggestion would be to eat a consistent number of calories for two weeks and see how that goes...if you are using MFP method aim to net 1600 for two weeks and see if you start losing again...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I just checked your diary and for the week of the 17th it appears that you were about 3000 calories over your goal for the week ...

Based on this, I would suggest consistently eating where you are netting 1600 a week ...

do you have MFP set for one pound a week or two pound a week loss?
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I definitely do not fall in the camp of people that believe a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Not all calories are created equal.

Personally, I tend to feel excessively hungry after a carb binge, even if it's a natural and wholesome source of carbohydrates (fruit). I absolutely avoid empty carbs at all costs--I never cheat with wheat and most grains are out of my diet altogether. I feel like this is one of the main reasons that I've continued to see the success that I have.

I notice that your carb counts are actually pretty modest in your food diary, usually ending the day at right around 100 grams. Would you be open to cutting that goal down to 50 or 60 grams per day? That could be what you need to get you over the slump.

If you're having difficulty feeling satiated, increase your healthy, whole fat intake. Don't be afraid of dietary fat--eating fat absolutely does not make you fat. That's just science. If you do decide to drop your carb intake, don't make the mistake of increasing protein a ton to make up for the calories; your body may have the capability of turning excess protein into glucose (the science is still out on this point, but I prefer to err on the side of caution).
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I definitely do not fall in the camp of people that believe a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Not all calories are created equal.

Personally, I tend to feel excessively hungry after a carb binge, even if it's a natural and wholesome source of carbohydrates (fruit). I absolutely avoid empty carbs at all costs--I never cheat with wheat and most grains are out of my diet altogether. I feel like this is one of the main reasons that I've continued to see the success that I have.

I notice that your carb counts are actually pretty modest in your food diary, usually ending the day at right around 100 grams. Would you be open to cutting that goal down to 50 or 60 grams per day? That could be what you need to get you over the slump.

If you're having difficulty feeling satiated, increase your healthy, whole fat intake. Don't be afraid of dietary fat--eating fat absolutely does not make you fat. That's just science. If you do decide to drop your carb intake, don't make the mistake of increasing protein a ton to make up for the calories; your body may have the capability of turning excess protein into glucose (the science is still out on this point, but I prefer to err on the side of caution).

3000 calories over is still a complete destruction of deficit. It doesn't matter if she consumed it in crunchy health stuff or pop tarts. It still kills the deficit.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    47809385.jpg
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

3000 calories over is still a complete destruction of deficit. It doesn't matter if she consumed it in crunchy health stuff or pop tarts. It still kills the deficit.

QFT...
    Looking at your diary, I see that sometimes you drink a bunch of your calories. I'm not judging because I sometimes do the same thing, but I suggest that when you do it, realize that you'll be hungry because it goes "through you". :drinker:
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options

If you're having difficulty feeling satiated, increase your healthy, whole fat intake. Don't be afraid of dietary fat--eating fat absolutely does not make you fat. That's just science.

This is NOT science. It takes your body 3 calories to store 100 calories of fat. That is all. That is why we store fat. It is known that when biopsies have been taken of fat, it can be determined where the fat came from (meaning olive oil fat vs chicken fat). And it makes. HUGE difference, in terms of health, the kind of fat you eat. Trans-fats (like margarine) are very dangerous to eat. Go check the literature on that, tons of studies done! Saturated fats need to be limited (think meats, butter) to be truly healthy. I'm not sure why olive oil is always touted as "healthy".... It is 100% oil and actually has more calories per tablespoon than butter. But as a class of oil, it would be a better choice than trans or saturated fats. Doesn't make it healthy, though. And don't expect to lies weight is you have a lot of it.

Maybe in terms of weight loss, a calorie is a calorie, but who really wants to choose weight loss over health? Yes, you need some fat in your diet, but the. Kind you choose matters for you health, both long term and short term. I think you need to evaluate WHAT you are eating along with HOW MUCH you are eating. BOTH are important for healthy weight loss.
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I found that when I increased my protein from 15% to 25% I was feeling more satiated, less likely to binge, and I didn't feel the need to snack as much. It took a while to relearn how to plan my meals and snacks so that I could fit that much protein in a day, but it really helped with the symptoms you're talking about.

Also, as an aside, I practice something called calorie cycling so that I can eat different amounts every day. My diary is open so feel free to poke around (I'm vegetarian fyi). A calculator I found that helped me plan out my cycling is at http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Your sodium intake is really high and that causes you to retain water. I sometimes hold on to 3-5 pounds of water when I go way over my sodium limit. Cut down and see what happens...you'll start to pee like Seabiscuit... :P
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It takes your body 3 calories to store 100 calories of fat.

Source, please? This sounds like junk science to me, but I'm always up for some good reading :)

You'll note that I did mention healthy, whole fats. The kind of fat you eat is extremely important. I do also realize that I misspoke and my intent may not be clear, so please allow me to amend my statement--eating fat does not make you fat (all by itself).

Most people believe you have some kind of magical turnstile inside your body that converts dietary fat into body fat the moment it hits your stomach. That simply isn't the case. All of the science I've ever read on the subject indicates that glucose and the insulin response are the primary components to storing energy by way of creating body fat.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Maybe you feel starved because it appears your starve yourself the first half of the day. Some people are good with that and some aren't.

I would try to eat three balanced meals with 2 small healthy snacks. I am also a believer in eating real food makes me feel better.. not just for health reasons but because it ends up being much BIGGER portions than processed foods, and healthy fats help with feeling full too. Olive oil in your salad dressing, nuts and avocados... and for me, laying off sugar. It causes me to have a crash, which make me want to eat something else... even though I am not really hungry.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions, but I encourage you in your journey.

And in for the opions.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Your sodium intake is really high and that causes you to retain water. I sometimes hold on to 3-5 pounds of water when I go way over my sodium limit. Cut down and see what happens...you'll start to pee like Seabiscuit... :P

^^This

I took a look at a few days in your diary and your sidum intake is quite high most days and you don't drink water (unless you don't log it) Try limiting your sodium intake and start drinking water...and yeah you will feel as though you live in the bathrrom for a bit until all the water weight is out.

Good luck!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Top impressions?
    1. Overall calorie consumption exceeds need. You can do it daily or weekly, however you choose, but if you're over at the end of the week, you can expect gains.
    2. Calorie intake is not appropriately offset by effective exercise.
    3. Having alcohol and chocolate once a week can be okay, but they are both going to cause you to bloat. Bloat in the absence of excess sodium takes 2-3 days to dissipate completely. Since you're eating a ton of sodium as well, you can expect to carry a decent amount of water weight all the time.

Hardcore hunger is usually a sign that we are either missing needed nutrients, or experience glucose fluctuations. Time to take out the microscope and look at what you've ingested on these super hungry days. High glycemic index foods will have the potential for creating insulin rollercoaster rides... and the lower your glucose, the hungrier you feel (generally) because your body wants to bring it back up. If you feed the low sugar shakes with high glycemic foods, you'll fix it for the moment but be dipping again an hour later.
    A lot of people don't realize that fruits can cause this effect very easily with their fructose content.

Hunger can also be a "mask" for thirst. Look into your water intake. I mean actual water... not coffee or soda or even sparkling water... because even though this count towards your fluid needs, they don't necessarily provide the necessary purity that will be most beneficial to your body. If you drink alcohol several days a week, you could be experiencing dehydration as well.

One thing I do want to say is, multi-vitamins are definitely not a cure-all. There has been a lot of research, and most formulations are not effectively broken down by the body; the vitamins not being made available to our bodies at the level stated on the label most of the time. It's also been clearly stated that a well-balanced diet is the best way to get your vitamins. It's reasonable to say that if you meet your macros and don't test as having a deficiency, you don't need a vitamin supplement.
  • ndj1979
    Options

wrong...a calorie is a calorie..

if a calore is not a calorie, then please explain to me what it is ..

You can lose weight eating Twinkies as long as you maintain your deficit..

what does cutting 50 grams of carbs have to do with anything? OP is not losing weight because her logging is not consistent and she is overeating by almost 3000 calories a week ....
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Consistency is key to pretty much everything. Losing weight is not exempt. Pick a number, stick to it for a few weeks, and go from there. Jumping all over the place isn't doing yourself any favors.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I've looked at your diary and have noticed a few things. You tend to eat more of your calories later in the day. Your breakfasts are coffee + fake sugar + cream/half&half and nothing else. No wonder you're starving and cranky by the afternoon. I recommend a more filling breakfast that you like and kicking the creamer to the curb. You also eat late at night. Often, it looks like you're consuming the brunt of your calories for the day around 8 pm. Can you try to eat more throughout the day and eat less before bed?

Saturday, March 15th looked like your best day in terms of getting a solid breakfast. In fact, it looked like you were in good shape for the day until the 10 bottles of Guinness. I also see a lot of fast food. That stuff will never fill you up.

You seem to make reasonable decisions/undereat during the day and eat/drink too much at night. It looks like you're trying to save up your calories for drinking nights, but the drinking nights go overboard and couple them with high calorie foods.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing you aren't in a deficit. It sucks...I know. It sucks that as you lose weight you will sometimes have to feel a little hungry, that's normal. Most of the time for myself I can say that as I have been reducing calories I have fought every step of the way.. I like to eat and not being able to eat 1800 calories and still lose weight SUCKS. I feel starving all the time just like you but unfortunately in order to lose either it takes more activity or less food (or some combination of both)

What strikes me the most from your diary is that you eat most of your calories later. What I would highly suggest is that you start having a good amount of protein for breakfast. Shoot for 20 - 30 g protein , fat & fiber. Overnight oatmeal or a huge omelet, a big bowl of Greek yogurt & granola with fruit (just watch the cals on the granola) Check my diary if you like. Not having breakfast works for some people but for you I think it does not work. It looks like you get SO hungry that you just lose control and go overboard.

Invariably you will need to exercise self control at some point but try eating a good bunch of protein in the morning. I will be surprised if you don't feel less starved.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is overrated.