Why am I not losing? I want your opion!

Options

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    And... I'm still trying to calculate my TDEE.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Ok... here is my attempt at the TDEE calculation.

I always consider myself good at math, but this gave me a headache, especially not having an adding machine where I could check for errors.

I calculated all dates from 1/31/2014 through 3/27/2014. The reason I chose these dates was that I weighed 187 on 1/31/2014 and 187.2 on 3/27/2014. For all intents and purposes, I'm going to use the weight 187 for both calculations. That should be 56 days.

Well, I couldn't get a singular answer on the calorie counts to come out, but I did get 103,845, 103,842 and 103,872. I went ahead and took the average of all those 103,853 as the magic number I would use for my TDEE calculation.

So.. 103,853 divided by 56 = 1854.517.

So my TDEE is 1854 and if I have that many calories on average every day I will not gain or lose.

To lose 1lb per week, I'd eat 1854 * 7 - 3500 divided by 7 per day, right? 1354 cal per day. Whew, that's low.

To lose 1/2 lb per week, I'd eat 1854 * 7 - 1750 divided by 7 per day? 1604. That's a little more like it.

That's a lot of freakin' math when I could have just gone with the 1600 like the guy on the first page of my thread said.

Did I even do that right?
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    wow! thats awesome doing it manually. great job!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    187.2 again. At this point it's almost comical.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    187.2 again. At this point it's almost comical.

Just based on the last week, your diary looks like you are pretty perfectly keeping a maintenance between getting some low calorie days in and then days where you go over TDEE. Keep doing what you are doing if it suits you, just aim to keep the bigger days a bit smaller.
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just FYI I gained 2-4 pounds every month on my period. I never weigh while on it. I always become ravished and on those days I eat more veggies and throw in a2-3 piece of dove dark chocolate at 40 calories a pop. 2 days ago I weighed 205.2 today two days into my period 207.2. I am doing everything right. It's gonna happen. You will drop back down and if like me you do everything right you will loose a pound or two right off. Don't get discouraged. You r on point. It's just water weight.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice everyone!

I changed my goal to 1,600. That should help me lose 1/2 lb per week, maybe more if I work out more.

Thanks!

:flowerforyou:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    On my first day at 1600 I lost a pound. That is good.
  • hasanaat200
    hasanaat200 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yep, exactly.

I need a realistic goal. It's set at 1200 right now.

That does average to over 1,900 per day.

Tonight when I get settled I'm going to try to calculate my TDEE, then set my goal according to that.

I get caught up in this mindset "Well, my goal is 1,200, my basal rate is XXXX, so if I stay under it, my TDEE is XXXX, so I can go over my weight loss goal as long as it won't be making me gain..." And so on and so on and so on.

I think I need a really clear calorie goal, then try to force myself not to go over it.

Like we mentioned before, my calorie count is all over the freakin' place. No consistency at all.
    I found it was a lot easier to stick to a calorie goal when I raised it a little bit. When I lost a few pounds over the summer, I was eating 1800 calories a day, and that was doable with a TDEE of about 2300, so I would recommend that you maybe try to shoot for 1600. When you get able to stick to that, you can consider cutting back a little bit on the days when you are less hungry, so that you can bank those calories for another day when you're extra hungry. But you can only eat extra up to the amount you've banked, of course.

Wait so you called me out on telling her to stick to a 1500 calorie diet but then you tell her to stick to a 1600 calorie diet...
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Second day at 1600 and I gained my pound back.

187.2 it's the plateau that doesn't end!

ETA: My scale was doing the April's Fool thing making me think I broke the plateau.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you are doing TDEE don't log exercise calories....log exercise but change the calories to 1...

and give it some time.

I eat on average 1700 a day, diary is set to 1600...but eh...and I lose about 3/4lb a week...

ETA: I have to say tho I am surprised by your TDEE esp considering how active you are...I expected it to be higher.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You can't eat out bad drink the way you are and expect to lose weight. Keep your cals lower and cut back on restaurants fast food and alcohol
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I can fluctuate 5 lbs in a single day, depending on a ton of factors. Do not weigh yourself every day if it's going to stress you out so much. I only worry if there is more than a 2 lb fluctuation, because weight is not a static thing by any means. You need to try your calorie level for a few weeks before you know if it's working or not - not a couple of days.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Dang it! I just realized I forgot to log an apple, so I actually had 1727 calories not the 1627 (which is ALREADY 27 over) I thought I had. No wonder I gained a freaking pound over night. If I had known that I wouldn't have had the stupid protein shake. Those things ALWAYS make me gain weight. But they are so good for recovery and I was hurtin' after the workout last night. DANG IT. FML. SMH.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Thanks you guys for all the support. I do plan on trying this at least through Sunday, however, I have to weigh myself daily because I am more capable than most of gaining drastic amounts of weight in a short period of time, so it has to be monitored for sanity. I'd much rather be upset that I gained a pound than find myself 15lb up in a week.

I am going to try to stick with this 1,600 through Sunday at least. I can't believe I forgot to log that stupid apple. It threw my whole damn day off!

I keep MFP up on my phone and work computer, how can I just sit there and scarf down an apple and not log it!

GRRRRRRR!!!

I was probably BSing in the forums while I ate it!
  • PRguez
    PRguez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    who am i to give you advice?... nobody coz i put on weight instead of loosing it :O

but if you have up and downs in the no of calories you are stressing your body; it is learning that it is normal to have 3000 cal and when you cut back to 1600 it goes to starving mode (which is no good). Better to be consistent with no of calories, and above all realistic. If you can't follow a deficit then do what it is normal for you. It'd would be more beneficial than going up & down. (you can check a simple table here: http://www.webmd.com/diet/calories-chart )

:)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    An apple did not cause you to gain a pound.

ETA: There are no carbs in your carnitas? I thought carnitas had peppers and onions and tomatoes in them? That should count towards carbs.
  • PRguez
    PRguez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I forgot to ask you a question? when do you go to sleep? what time?

Coz i see that the majority of your intake in afternoon/evening but if you don't work in a night shift... meaning if you sleep at night then that would be part of a problem?

You should try to have a hearty breakfast and an ok lunch (big if you want) and then light afternoon tea & dinner (that how we have always done in my country and we weren't having these problems :p )

There are lots of studies that shows that the breakfast is the most important meal (if you have a day time shift) as when you wake up your body has been fasting for the longest (in comparison with the rest of the day).

xxx
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    These carnitas don't contain those ingredients, but I do add them sometimes and when I do, I alter the recipe using the tool on MFP.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    That makes more sense.. I am looking for an easy crock pot recipe for Thursday, that kids will also eat. I think i'm gonna make a version of these. I'd just need to get wraps for the kids. I have the rest of the stuff. I'd probably stuff mine in a pepper or use a lettuce wrap..hmm.. probably a lettuce wrap since dinner will be so late that day.

I hope you find your formula to lose the weight you want.