Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Eat more salad - because it's healthy, low calorie and filling
    Eat more lean meat - because protein is filling and it's good
    Eat less calorie dense salt laden processed foods
    Find your TDEE and stay under it.

easy
    Simple, yes. But NOT easy.

We're already working on finding ways for her to eat the diet that makes her feel best that are also satiating to her and keep her under her TDEE.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

easy

We're already working on finding ways for her to eat the diet that makes her feel best that are also satiating to her and keep her under her TDEE.

Why is it hard to take a pan and cook some chicken?
    Or make a salad on Sunday and eat it that week it until its gone?
    It takes the same amount of time to heat something up in the microwave as it does to make a gigantic salad, that can then be partitioned out for lunches.
    You can even precook your own chicken and reheat .. viola chicken salad.. in not time at all.
    Of course it is easier, as in less thought required, to grab a box and stick it in the microwave or go out and order something off a menu somewhere.
    But in reality, it's not much harder or longer to just make something.

What makes it hard is our thoughts. We think we don't have time. We think we can't make that recipe. But really we can, we just need to tell ourselves that.

I make a huge crock pot full of something or triple portions of food on Sundays and I have lunch all week long. I mean.. you can't get easier then a crock pot. Throw stuff in there, turn in on and when you get home you have yumminess.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    You mentioned eggs and veggies and cheese. What about taking an egg scramble with diced vegetables and a sprinkle of reduced-fat cheese to work with you and eating it when the hunger hits? You may have seen my usual breakfast in my diary (though it hasn't been "the usual" of late).

I know you probably don't want to use the "diet" versions of stuff I use, so here's something to use as a guideline to modify further:

Capture_zpscae45e4a.jpg

If you leave out the egg white, the reduced-fat turkey sausage, and the Laughing cow cheese wedge and just replace with the equivalent calories of reduced-fat cheese, that will still be a little bit of protein and make it tastier. I personally need the potato in there to keep me full. I can eat about half a pound of grilled chicken and half a pound of roasted vegetables and be ravenous about 20 minutes later if there's no starchy carb going in with it. That's where the self-experimentation is going to come into play.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

easy

Why is it hard to take a pan and cook some chicken?
    Or make a salad on Sunday and eat it that week it until its gone?
    It takes the same amount of time to heat something up in the microwave as it does to make a gigantic salad, that can then be partitioned out for lunches.
    You can even precook your own chicken and reheat .. viola chicken salad.. in not time at all.
    Of course it is easier, as in less thought required, to grab a box and stick it in the microwave or go out and order something off a menu somewhere.
    But in reality, it's not much harder or longer to just make something.

What makes it hard is our thoughts. We think we don't have time. We think we can't make that recipe. But really we can, we just need to tell ourselves that.

I make a huge crock pot full of something or triple portions of food on Sundays and I have lunch all week long. I mean.. you can't get easier then a crock pot. Throw stuff in there, turn in on and when you get home you have yumminess.
    I mean adherence is not easy.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Confuzzled,

I figure my original post was TL:DR, but here's a pertinent quote:

"I try to cook healthy, large, high protein dinners I can eat throughout the week. I do notice a pattern that when I have my favorite dishes on hand in the fridge (pork and chicken carnitas, with lettuce, cheese and sour cream) I feel much more satisfied and full and nourished, and my overall calorie count is much lower. In light of this, I am going to start cooking more of these foods as they are my staples, and I currently have several pounds of each in the fridge, hoping for a better week. I can really eat a ton of this type salad if I go real light on the cheese and only have 500-700 cal, so it helps for the ravenous hunger I sometimes have come over me."

Also, if you review my journal, you'll see that I do my best to live off of pork and chicken carnita salads. I also prep that meat in the Crock Pot. Last night I made 6 lb of chicken!

I'm with you, buddy. You're preaching to the choir.

I think we need to work on that TDEE thing. It leaves me confuzled.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I guess Paleo/Primal isn't working out for you then.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    That part is simple. You look at the average calories you eat per day, and the amount of weight you lost. How long of a time period do you have perfectly accurate food logging for? That's the time period we examine.

Say you have 60 days worth of data and you lost 7 pounds in that time. Say your average calorie intake was 1800 calories/day during that time.

7 pounds of fat is equivalent (roughly) to 24500 calories. Over 60 days that means your average daily deficit is about 408 calories.

That plus the average calorie intake per day is your TDEE. 1800 + 400 = 2200. Your TDEE would be roughly 2200 calories/day.

So if 1800 calories on average kept you feeling hungry, you might try adding 100/calories per day for a week or two and see if that helps. Your deficit would be on average 300 calories per day, which would equate to roughly 0.6 lb. per week loss. Add 100 cal/day more if you're still hungry. Still 0.4 lb. per week loss. Still respectable and no hunger!

Does that make sense?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Well, if that's the diet that makes her feel best, then I don't see a reason to throw it right in the dustbin without even attempting to tweak it first.

The carbs are *definitely* too low for me, but I'm not her.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Well, if that's the diet that makes her feel best, then I don't see a reason to throw it right in the dustbin without even attempting to tweak it first.

Absolutely.

I'm just making a tongue-in-cheek reference to past pro-Paleo threads she has posted in.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

Absolutely.

I'm just making a tongue-in-cheek reference to past pro-Paleo threads she has posted in.
    Ah, I see! :laugh: I pretty much try to stay out of those. Not very much fun, except maybe to post reaction gifs in.

But I'm here to give actual help to my friend, not just amuse myself.
  • hasanaat200
    hasanaat200 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1) Find willpower
    2) Set new goal to 1500 calories tops everyday
    3) Drink water when you feel hungry (Get about 11 cups a day for your weight)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    1) Find willpower
    2) Set new goal to 1500 calories tops everyday
    3) Drink water when you feel hungry (Get about 11 cups a day for your weight)
    Solid 4th post.

We're looking for ways to maximize the effect of willpower by choosing foods that help keep her full. Water doesn't do a damn thing for hunger. And out of what magic hat did you draw 1500 calories tops? What if she gets a crap ton of exercise and needs more food to recover from her workout? What if she has PMS? There are lots of reasons why you'd need to go over 1500 calories.
  • KandiLicious
    KandiLicious Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    47809385.jpg

Love it!!!
  • Jordan_Gregers
    Jordan_Gregers Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You don't eat breakfast. No offense, just my honest opinion. Eat breakfast and you'll be less hungry.

I eat the same bloody breakfast every day and to be honest I'm not sick of it yet.

All Bran Buds - For fiber and carbs
    Soy Milk - For calcium and protein (and to wash down the Buds)
    Greek Yogurt - For protein

I get hungry again around noon after my run. I usually have veggies and a piece of protein (fish, tuna, ham or chicken) plus a slice of Whole Grain bread (for some more fiber and to feel a bit more 'full')

Not hungry until dinner. Again a nice piece of protein, maybe some whole wheat pasta and loads of veggies.

Might have a snack around 9 - usually some cottage cheese or sliced roast turkey, but more often than not I don't have much in the evening.

I always have a piece of dark chocolate and a Werther's hard candy at some point in the evening as well. Never crave sweets otherwise.

I dunno. I feel like breakfast is so key to maintaining my hunger. I used to not eat until 4 or 5pm and then I would go bonkers with food, craving all the carby/fatty comfort foods. Now I feel like my breakfast and lunch gets me through the day and keeps me happy and regulated (not to mention REGULAR in the bathroom).

Eat breakfast.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You don't eat breakfast. No offense, just my honest opinion. Eat breakfast and you'll be less hungry.

I eat the same bloody breakfast every day and to be honest I'm not sick of it yet.

All Bran Buds - For fiber and carbs
    Soy Milk - For calcium and protein (and to wash down the Buds)
    Greek Yogurt - For protein

I get hungry again around noon after my run. I usually have veggies and a piece of protein (fish, tuna, ham or chicken) plus a slice of Whole Grain bread (for some more fiber and to feel a bit more 'full')

Not hungry until dinner. Again a nice piece of protein, maybe some whole wheat pasta and loads of veggies.

Might have a snack around 9 - usually some cottage cheese or sliced roast turkey, but more often than not I don't have much in the evening.

I always have a piece of dark chocolate and a Werther's hard candy at some point in the evening as well. Never crave sweets otherwise.

I dunno. I feel like breakfast is so key to maintaining my hunger. I used to not eat until 4 or 5pm and then I would go bonkers with food, craving all the carby/fatty comfort foods. Now I feel like my breakfast and lunch gets me through the day and keeps me happy and regulated (not to mention REGULAR in the bathroom).

Eat breakfast.

Remember folks, just because you eat breakfast doesn't mean you get to ignore where the OP said she doesn't like/want breakfast and then launch into a really personalized reason for why she should eat breakfast.

I don't eat breakfast. When I do eat breakfast I always go over my calories/am horrifically hungry the rest of the day and yet I don't feel the need to go around telling other people to stop eating breakfast. Because personal preference.

Good luck to you OP, you have someone awesome helping you and I'm sure you'll get it all hammered out in no time.
  • Jordan_Gregers
    Options

Remember folks, just because you eat breakfast doesn't mean you get to ignore where the OP said she doesn't like/want breakfast and then launch into a really personalized reason for why she should eat breakfast.

I don't eat breakfast. When I do eat breakfast I always go over my calories/am horrifically hungry the rest of the day and yet I don't feel the need to go around telling other people to stop eating breakfast. Because personal preference.

Good luck to you OP, you have someone awesome helping you and I'm sure you'll get it all hammered out in no time.

Fair enough, I should have read her reply to the breakfast thing. In my opinion most people who don't eat breakfast, don't like breakfast. They start eating breakfast and then eventually they start liking breakfast. I don't have anything but personal experience to back that up with, but it seems a common trend among people who 'don't like breakfast'.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Fair enough, I should have read her reply to the breakfast thing. In my opinion most people who don't eat breakfast, don't like breakfast. They start eating breakfast and then eventually they start liking breakfast. I don't have anything but personal experience to back that up with, but it seems a common trend among people who 'don't like breakfast'.

I would contend that people who think breakfast is mandatory would find that if they stopped eating breakfast they would eventually come to realize it's not something they need to get through the day. I have nothing but personal experience to back that up (which is why I don't go around telling to stop eating breakfast) but I know people like that so it seems just as relevant as your opinion.

But, again the OP isn't hungry in the morning. So there isn't a need, that I can see, for her to add a meal she doesn't want.
  • Jordan_Gregers
    Options

I would contend that people who think breakfast is mandatory would find that if they stopped eating breakfast they would eventually come to realize it's not something they need to get through the day.I have nothing but personal experience to back that up (which is why I don't go around telling to stop eating breakfast) but I know people like that so it seems just as relevant as your opinion.

Fair enough and well said.

I still love me some breakfast though ;)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Confuzzled,

I figure my original post was TL:DR, but here's a pertinent quote:

"I try to cook healthy, large, high protein dinners I can eat throughout the week. I do notice a pattern that when I have my favorite dishes on hand in the fridge (pork and chicken carnitas, with lettuce, cheese and sour cream) I feel much more satisfied and full and nourished, and my overall calorie count is much lower. In light of this, I am going to start cooking more of these foods as they are my staples, and I currently have several pounds of each in the fridge, hoping for a better week. I can really eat a ton of this type salad if I go real light on the cheese and only have 500-700 cal, so it helps for the ravenous hunger I sometimes have come over me."

Also, if you review my journal, you'll see that I do my best to live off of pork and chicken carnita salads. I also prep that meat in the Crock Pot. Last night I made 6 lb of chicken!

I'm with you, buddy. You're preaching to the choir.

Ok.. well you're probably not gonna like this.. but oh well.. lol..

I did read it.. and I did look. I thought the carnitas were pre-made, not home made. But that's not the real issue. What I see is Mcdonalds, ice cream, Sweeteners, soda, candy, take out, pork sausage, lots of cheese and other toppings (sour cream, butter, etc..) ... What I don't see is any veggies other then green beans nor do I see fruit (2 apples once). And that is just this week.

You don't seem to eat until noon. I'd be starving too if I didn't eat anything all morning, after not eating anything all night while sleeping. That's a really long time to go without food everyday.

You're not losing weight because you're not eating right. While none of those foods are inherently bad and I won't tell you not to eat them. If you really want to lose the weight, you need to cut out more of the salt and more of the empty fillers and calories and more of the toppings. Do you weigh everything? A cup is a cup, but my cup is probably a different size then yours. How big are your tablespoons of sour cream? Or that pat of butter? what about the peanut butter? 1.5 oz is not a lot.. did you weigh it? It's amazing how fast that adds up.

Oh and 60 grams of protein isn't a lot. when I said increase protein I meant to over 100 or to you LBM amount. if you know what that is. I have a bad day if I only hit 120 grams. and I've been eating pretty ****ty lately. Stress related. That plays a huge part too.

We all get really super hungry sometimes. That means our body is telling us we are either not eating enough, OR we are not giving it the nutrients it needs. I found that I cant' do low carb. I get ridiculously tired and hungry and cranky. I average where you are (120-150 grams). Maybe you are not eating enough carbs for your body?

We are all different. What works for everyone else will likely not work for you. If you're gaining weight, you are eating too much. Period. If you're hungry after eating your calories for the day. Change what you eat so you can eat more. It really is simple to do, but harder to get our heads around.

To give you more ideas.. I eat 8-12 oz of lean meat with dinner and 4-8 oz with lunch. A whole can of tuna over a salad and a sprinkle of feta and pepper is amazing and high protein low calorie. I make chili soup and throw raw broccoli slaw in it to make it more substantial. Both are super easy to make and eat at work. Get plain Greek yogurt and mix your own fruit into it. high protein, and the fruit helps the sweet tooth and hitting the other nutrients.

Oh yea... and water.. LOTS of water. Get rid of that soda.. it's just adding sodium to your day, which retains water and adds weight on you. I like to drink tea when I need something with flavor. Green tea also has health benefits, if you care for that sort of thing.

Do you read labels and ingredient lists when you purchase things, so you know what you are buying? Do you know there is added salt and sugar in most of the food items we buy that are in a can or box? Even the ones you wouldn't think have it. Canned tomatoes for example, why the salt and sugar?? and beans.. why? If it's something you eat a lot of it will add up quickly. I read the ingredients until I find one with nothing added that is not necessary. (which usually means nothing is added).

I read a comment that you're following paelo? If that is so you have to accept that it's not working. If you are not losing the weight and you are hungry, then your diet is not working. A friend of mine tried paleo for awhile. She lost a bit in the beginning and then stopped losing and started getting really hungry. She had to accept that it wasn't right for her. She still makes the recipes but she eats dairy now and other items. I thought cheese wasn't on that menu?? Or at least a very small amount of it only?

Eating carnitas everyday.. and it's not working for you right? Skipping eating until after noon.. not working right? Not eating a lot of veggies or fruit.. not working.. fairly high fat grams each day.. (in my opinion at least) not working.. Change. what you need to do is change.

Anyway.. there's what I see.. take it or leave it.

ETA:... The "i work full time" is just an excuse.. I also work full time, work out 1-2 hours a day. a single parent to a super busy teenager I usually cook every meal every day and I date and go hiking and cook and do other things that interest me. I'm not big on the prepping. Something I need to do more and am working on. I don't do it because i get bored of the food and end up not eating it. Id id it this week though and ate it all. Go me. I even get up in the morning and cook eggs, stick them in a container and take them to work. If you want it, you'll do what you have to do get it. There are 2 options.. Do or not do. You either do it, or you don't. If you want it bad enough, you'll do what you have to to get it. if that means getting up 10 minutes earlier to make lunch or staying up later to get in your work out or whatever it means. I'm super determined and super motivated to get where I want to be. You either are and you'll make the changes, or you are not and we will see you back on here with the same issue next month.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Definitely leaving it. You're grossly mis-representing my diary, or just confused about what you're seeing when you look in it.

Here's a listing of the fruits and veggies you'll see over the last week:

3/21/14
    1 salad
    1 dish paleoomg which contains onions, sweet potatoes, garlic etc
    1 green beans

3/22/14
    1 banana
    1 apple
    1 dish waldorf salad which contains celery, grapes, apples

3/23/14
    1 tacos contain lettuce

3/24/14
    1 green beans

3/25/14
    again... a huge salad for dinner

3/26/2014
    1 green beans
    again... a huge salad for dinner

3/27/2014
    apples and peanut butter
    again.. a huge salad for dinner (actually 2! I had dinner 2x this night!)

Also, yes, I do weigh everything, even the peanut butter and sour cream with a digital scale which I also elaborated on in the original post. Some of the listings may appear "store bought" in my journal because instead of listing separate ingredients I've created recipes using the recipe tool on MFP.

I find grass-fed butter and full-fat creams, and cheese to be a wonderful part of my diet and have no intention of removing them. They are not at all un-healthy, but that is a debate we can certainly have in another thread.