Dear random old people...

Options

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Standing in line at the grocery store many years ago, a woman in line suddenly put her finger in my baby daughter's mouth because she was teething and fussy. Totally freaked me out.

Oh. My. God. My husband's grandmother once put my daughter's onsie up under her boob while I was giving my daughter a bath to "keep it warm." I had no idea until I was looking for the clean onsie I just brought out. She whipped it out from under her giant boob and thought I was going to dress my daughter in it!:noway: I told her that I changed my mind and would be putting her in a dress that day. Disgusting!
  • siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options
    this is so dumb

let old people touch your babies
    they are from a different time

a time with out MFP and FB where people actually had to TALK to each other for realz

and every baby born was covetted and cherished by the community, hence the touching of bellies and babies

young people GTFU seriously

have some respect for older people and teach your kids the same. Your babies arent going to catch the plague from a kiss or cheek pinch of an older person. My gawd.

here here
    Do you eat peanut butter, shell fish, use hand creams with coco or Shea butter in them? If so don't touch my kids because your simple touch may sent us rushing to the hospital where I will have to watch a baby stuck with IV lines filled with steroids to save his life.

This is not harmless!

actually i dont use or eat any of that, however i wouldnt say im a random old person i just agree its ok for them to come over and say hi. when i take my two boys out little old ladies always come over to the pram and have a look and chat. thats harmless, and here in the UK they actually ask if they can touch them.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    this is so dumb

a time with out MFP and FB where people actually had to TALK to each other for realz

and every baby born was covetted and cherished by the community, hence the touching of bellies and babies

have some respect for older people and teach your kids the same. Your babies arent going to catch the plague from a kiss or cheek pinch of an older person. My gawd.

here here
    Do you eat peanut butter, shell fish, use hand creams with coco or Shea butter in them? If so don't touch my kids because your simple touch may sent us rushing to the hospital where I will have to watch a baby stuck with IV lines filled with steroids to save his life.

This is not harmless!

for the average population it is harmless. Most old people dont realize the seriousness of modern allergies.
    Ignorance of the danger does not mean they have a right to act in a way that may kill my child. Just like ignorance of the law is not a cal ad deffence. Saying that's just the way they are and don't expect them to understand, but instead lighten up and realize it comes from a good place is not healpful. Intact they need to stop being defensive of their good meaning action and realize they are a possible danger to that child nomater how slim that chance is.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    this is so dumb

Sorry, but I don't live in that world. Seriously, don't touch my kids. Most people seem to have boundaries and understand that touching strangers isn't commonly accepted here in 2014. I truly worry about those who think it's okay, because I start to question their intentions and overall judgment. Next up, pinching random girls' *kitten* because they're so damn adorable . . .

surely you know the difference between old people enjoying a cute baby
    and a random perv pinching the butts of women.

It is sad people ccant see the difference

.....until you have to block a camera of some innocent looking old person trying to take an up-skirt photo of your 4 year old daughter.....
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    or if you have used hand creams that our kids may be allergic to

Another modern day parent fear. Allergies. Every kid seems to be allergic to 10,000 different things. Either that or their parents want to tell people how many things their kids are allergic to because it makes their kid just a little bit special up front. My fiance's nephew's school has a special allergy class (no, seriously) for kids with allergies. Hearing the moms of allergy kids parents talk you can tell their practically in competition to find the most exotic allergy. When I have kids I've already decided he's allergic to most paper towels except some uber expensive ones made from angel tears and gluten free rain forest trees.
    Ooh sweet child I do hope you never have to race against the clock because your child is turning blue and then have to endure hours of iv's at he hospital with your baby who you were supposed to protect .
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    This makes me sad. I loved seeing the way my son could light up people's faces when he was a baby.
    Yes, there were times when I was in a hurry or didn't want to be bothered sharing his cuteness. but for the most part I enjoyed they way an old lady would perk up be peeking in the stroller and seeing him smile.

Very rarely did anyone actually touch him, but I didn't spray him down with lysol if they did or scold an elderly person for being friendly.

I know- I think it's so sweet how little ones can make older folk so happy- it's the cutest thing. I *might* feel differently if some stranger put their finger in my baby's mouth, but it's never happened, so I guess I just don't think of it the same way. Also, my kids don't have any allergies, so if an elderly lady were to caress my LO's cheek, it probably wouldn't bother me. My girls are friendly and love people (and attention- hell, what socialized child doesn't!) and I think the edification works both ways.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Can we just stop being crybabies? How about that?
  • FergusonDCF
    Options
    Why do you single out old people? You are an old person in some people's eyes.
    Personally I don't want any strangers walking up and touching me or my family.
    I am still not sure what old is, 30? 40? 50? 60? 70?
    Maybe you can start a poll and find out what age people think is old
    I could give a carp.

What's the difference in singling out old people and singling out people of different races.

Answer: There isn't any.

Have a fun day of hate.
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Most diseases like flu and cold are airborne anyway and I feel bad we live in a world where people have become so cold-hearted and paranoid. Get a grip young people - you're going to be old faster than you think!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    this is so dumb

here here

This is not harmless!

How will you deal with school? Not trying to be snarky at all; it's just that peanut butter is pretty much a lunch staple in schools and it would be virtually impossible to remove all traces from every surface in a classroom.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    this is so dumb

Sorry, but I don't live in that world. Seriously, don't touch my kids. Most people seem to have boundaries and understand that touching strangers isn't commonly accepted here in 2014. I truly worry about those who think it's okay, because I start to question their intentions and overall judgment. Next up, pinching random girls' *kitten* because they're so damn adorable . . .

Sorry, but no, I cannot identify a criminal by just looking at him/her, but yes I've learned that there does seem to be a few people who lack boundaries. They do concern me. There's a simple fix here, don't touch my kids and I won't break your arms.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Another modern day parent fear. Allergies. Every kid seems to be allergic to 10,000 different things. Either that or their parents want to tell people how many things their kids are allergic to because it makes their kid just a little bit special up front. My fiance's nephew's school has a special allergy class (no, seriously) for kids with allergies. Hearing the moms of allergy kids parents talk you can tell their practically in competition to find the most exotic allergy. When I have kids I've already decided he's allergic to most paper towels except some uber expensive ones made from angel tears and gluten free rain forest trees.
    Ooh sweet child I do hope you never have to race against the clock because your child is turning blue and then have to endure hours of iv's at he hospital with your baby who you were supposed to protect .

All joking aside, will your child actually go into anaphylactic shock if he is even touched by someone who has eaten peanuts or shellfish, or used hand cream? I have never heard of someone being that sensitive. I sincerely hope that you are exaggerating for effect, otherwise your child will have to live life in a bubble. I am not attacking you or your child, so please don't take this as such, I am just amazed if a child can ACTUALLY be this sensitive. Will he always be like this, or in time will be build up immunities?
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    this is so dumb

.....until you have to block a camera of some innocent looking old person trying to take an up-skirt photo of your 4 year old daughter.....

QFT
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    this is so dumb

Next up random red herring.

Raise daughters in Asia and talk to me about that being a red herring
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

All joking aside, will your child actually go into anaphylactic shock if he is even touched by someone who has eaten peanuts or shellfish, or used hand cream? I have never heard of someone being that sensitive. I sincerely hope that you are exaggerating for effect, otherwise your child will have to live life in a bubble. I am not attacking you or your child, so please don't take this as such, I am just amazed if a child can ACTUALLY be this sensitive. Will he always be like this, or in time will be build up immunities?

Can't be touched by other children, teachers, etc...
    If this does exist, perhaps the poster might recognize that the situation is of an extreme rarity and as such isn't the measure of norm of behavior.

Perhaps not, this is MFP, after all.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    this is so dumb

here here

This is not harmless!

How will you deal with school? Not trying to be snarky at all; it's just that peanut butter is pretty much a lunch staple in schools and it would be virtually impossible to remove all traces from every surface in a classroom.
    PB alergies are soo common that the schools here don't allow any kind of nuts in schools. As far as how I deal, he is not yet in school. He will have an epi penwith him at all times any his teacher and nurse will know how to use it.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options

Can't be touched by other children, teachers, etc...
    If this does exist, perhaps the poster might recognize that the situation is of an extreme rarity and as such isn't the measure of norm of behavior.

Perhaps not, this is MFP, after all.
    With peanut butter it is serous! The oils pass transdermaly and if not caught quickly and depending on the amount can lead to the hospital. Unfortunately peanut better is one of those that gets worse with exposure not better.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    this is so dumb

QFT

QFT? This happened to you? WTF?!?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    this is so dumb

Next up random red herring.

Raise daughters in Asia and talk to me about that being a red herring

Been there, done that. Shanghai, 1996. 3 year old girl. Yeah, it was problematic (hair touching and people wanting to get a picture) - but I recognize that this isn't the common experience., nor the rule of behavior for most people. And I really didn't see anyone pinching my daughters butt. And isn't relative to people being "old people" in America or Western Europe, where most of MFP live.

Context, location, possible intent, culture ... Reasonable clues that might preclude "arm breaking". Maybe.

Your mileage may honestly vary.
This discussion has been closed.