Help!!! With Green Cabbage!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• shellyamundson
    shellyamundson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you so to those who shared the skinnytaste cabbage casserole recipe ! I love cabbage, and hadn't figured out a way to make cabbage rolls without the rice (I'm low-carb). I think I can do that with this recipe by just leaving that step out.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I just bought a head today to put in my soups. Chicken broth, cabbage, onions, carrots, celery and herbs. So filling with tons of fiber. And so few calories.

i do this too. When i make homemade chicken & veggie soup i vary the veggies that i throw in but almost always use cabbage. it adds a nice sweetness.

also, as others stated stuffed cabbage, egg rolls & corned beef & cabbage....

but the recipes with bacon that people mentioned are making me drool. i need to try one soon. (while i never used a big head of cabbage, i have made Brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon & it was amazing)
  • lttappenn
    lttappenn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sweet and spicy cabbage is one of may favorites. I take about a cup of beef broth or a beef bouillon cube and water, put it in a large skillet and bring to boil. Chop 1/2 a head of cabbage. Add to skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the cabbage is nice and soft. Add a couple tablespoons of brown sugar. Stir and serve. It is sooo good!
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kimcoop
    kimcoop Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is one of our fav recipes....cheap, awesome and easy!

Chop up cabbage and red potatoes. Put cabbage on bottom and then potatoes on top in a pot or steamer with about an inch of water. Don't use too much water and don't cook too high because you don't want it to get dry.
    Lay a one pound whole sausage link such as Polish Kiesbaska, beef, turkey, or chicken sausage over the top of the cabbage and potatoes. Make little slices in the top of the sausage link to let the juices out which flavors the cabbage and potatoes.
    Cover and cook on low-medium to create steam.. Maybe about 20-30 minutes?

Enjoy!
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage! My favorites are as follows:

Cabbage Steaks:
    heat oven to 450, cut cabbage into steaks, season with salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until tender and golden brown.

Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup
    Sautee 1lb ground beef (or turkey etc) with 1/2 of a diced onion
    mix in 1 can of tomato paste, italian seasoning, salt, pepper, 2 cans diced tomatoes and 1 head chopped cabbage (this makes about 8 large servings) Cook untuiol cabbage is tender.
    (some ppl add rice,i prefer it without)

Noodles with Cabbage
    Cook egg noodles-set aside
    sautee 1 lb.ground meat ( i use beef) with chopped onion and carrots salt & pepper
    chopped cabbage and add to cooked meat. cover and let it get tender, mix in egg noodles with a little butter or olive oil. Eat!
  • Janec721
    Janec721 Posts: 3
    Options
    Steamed cabbage with malt vinegar :D
  • grandma6girls
    grandma6girls Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A Weight Watchers Recipe from years ago:

Turkey Kielbasa cut into small pieces and stir fried with a bit of olive oil
    Once browned, add shredded cabbage (as much as you want for your family), and stir fry with kielbasa.
    Add 1 cup cropped up apples.
    A little salt and pepper to taste
    Once cabbage is limp (or cooked to taste), add 3 cups low sodium chicken broth.
    Simmer for 10 minutes.

Pour over top of cooked whole wheat spaghetti.
    Or you can add cooked whole wheat pasta to cabbage, apples and kielbasa.

Delicious.
  • SimplySmylin
    SimplySmylin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just made the Skinnytaste Stuffed Cabbage Casserole for dinner tonight. I made some of my own adjustments to the recipe. I used lean ground turkey and left off the cheese. It was delicious and very filling. The recipe makes a lot. It was so much easier than making traditional cabbage rolls. I would recommend this recipe!
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, the good news is that cabbage keeps for a very long time - Alton brown will say six week, I will say six month or more but I like to live on the edge. It has more vitamin C than citrus (this helps with its longevity). Love cabbage rolls, coleslaw, cabbage in salad but one of my most favorites is to use it as part of a slaw for fish tacos - husband made them last weekend - YAA-UMMMM! Cooking Light has some good recipes. Good luck to you - lots of great ideas.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Pigs in a blanket.
    Steam cabbage, pull apart and wrap the leaves around a pork sausage.

Then make a sauce. I found this for the sauce:

Mix tomato soup, water together. If too thick add more water. Add vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper until it tastes right for you. Pour over cabbage rolls. Take large spoon and make sure sauce gets to bottom of pan. Put on low heat and cook until cabbage rolls are done.
    Tomato soup, 2 cans
    Vinegar to taste
    Brown sugar to taste
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Eggs (2) beaten
    Water (1/2 can for each)
    Tomato soup

I've never actually made this, but my mom made it when I was a kid. An old time Irish dish her mother used to make her.
  • Loraluvs
    Loraluvs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stacygwalters
    stacygwalters Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    http://www.joyofkosher.com/recipes/baked-eggrolls/

Healthy baked egg rolls using phyllo dough!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    SLICE in 1/2 inch thick slices,
    brush with olive oil,
    dust with salt pepper, dash sugar
    rub with whole garlic if you have it ( do NOT sub garlic powder)
    bake in oven at 400 until well done(30-40min)
    carmelized brown ,
    use a spatula ,
    flip them over and bake again another 10-15 minutes,
    it turns into this yummy browned deliciousness -

think of the flavor change between a raw onion and a fried carmelized onion , thats what it does, it elevates the cabbage to a level of unheard of YUM
    roast-cabbage.jpg?w=300&h=224