WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2014

Options

Replies

• tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello again my friends

I've just spoken to the hospital and they are going to try to squeeze me in to have my gallbladder removed on a Saturday towards the end of May. Not ideal, but at least I feel that I'm getting closer to a date. My weight has fallen again, which is getting to be a problem. I never thought I'd say the following words 'I'm too skinny!'.

Big love to all.
    Amanda x
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    I live in Michigan and have been pretty sedentary for the last decade.

Angela

Where in Michigan Angela?
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all!

I wanted to answer Michele's question before I forgot...I read somewhere a long time ago to just kind of wiggle the asparagus and it will break where it should to get rid of the woody part, so that's what I do. That means I don't have pretty evenly long pieces, but that doesn't matter to me. To roast it, I use 1/2 tsp or so of olive oil to coat 100g of trimmed asparagus. To be able to use less oil, I rub it on the pieces so they are coated. Then I place it single later in a pan, add salt and pepper, and roast (upper 1/4 of oven) at 450 degrees for five minutes, shake the pan, then five minutes more. I adore the little crispy tips! Although it is marginally better at 450, I have done it at 400 degrees when I was baking something else at the same time. To dress it up a bit more, I'm certain it would be delicious with a little Asiago cheese sprinkled on it or even different spices. When I roast my fingerling potatoes, I rub them in olive oil then sprinkle Asiago cheese on top. The original recipe called for Parmesan, but I didn't think it had much flavor.

Also, since we were discussing cottage cheese a week or so ago, I bought some to play with in recipes that called for blending it. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to resist eating it as is before getting around to trying a recipe. I have, however, discovered that it is an amazing source of protein and keeps me full for a looooonnnnnggggg time!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Caron in currently sunny NC
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Patty- I hope you haven't gotten rid of your none working Fitbit. Contact the company, they are really great at customer service. When my ultra stopped working(I had bought it at best buy) they wanted a receipt, which I didn't have. Then I had to take a picture with my phone and email them. They replaced it with a one for free. I had already gotten a flex and gave it to DH. Now he loves it and before he thought I was nuts to spend that kind of money on a pedometer.

I weigh every morning usually and three days ago I stopped taking the depression drugs my doctor gave me, because I found out that they make you gain weight. So my weigh in on Monday I lost 1 pound, I weighed this morning and I lost .5 pounds. Even though I had chicken wings for lunch yesterday and they usually make me gain due to the seasoned salt I use. So I think I would have lost more this last month without the drugs. I feel pretty good so if I start to feeling bad again, I'll go back to the doctor.

I don't have to go back until August for blood work, and I would like to lose another 15lbs before then and keep my blood sugars low.

Welcome to the new folks!

Gail-thanks for the encouragement for the 30 days of logging. I'm not going to stop, I need to keep those blood sugars in check. I figure the weight loss is a bonus.:happy:

Tigress in GA
  • SCMclaughlin1956
    Options
    Good morning. I'm new to My Fitness Pal having used another program. Two years ago I got inspired and through exercise and eating healthy, I lost 55lbs. Shortly after, I stress fractured my foot and was laid up for a while and it broke my momentum. I have gained 25 of those lbs and mentally beat myself up about it. I want so much to regain the will and momentum that I had. Today is day one!! SO thankful to have you all as encouragement!
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Popping back in for a sec.

Yanniejannie, oh my, I forgot about the Lassie music. As soon as I read your post I remembered it. You are right it did make me cry too. I also remember the Disney movie "Tomasina". Not sure if that is the right spelling, about the lost cat. I suffered along with the kid in that one!:sad:

I wanted to mention a couple of books that have helped me on the emotional journey. Someone mentioned about how much grief we have seen by age 50. Mine started long ago when I lost my Grandmother who practically raised me. She was a great buffer between my Mother and me. Here are a few of my favorites.

The Four Agreements
    When Things Fall Apart
    Anger, Thitch Nahn Hahn (not sure if that is spelled right)
    Secrets To Life Every Woman Should Know, Barbara DeAngelis

The last book 'Secrets to Life', is about a woman's relationship with herself. I think I highlighted that whole book before I was done. I gave my copy to a friend who was going through a divorce. I may buy the Nook book one day. It was full of wisdom.

I hope this list is helpful to some of you wonderful ladies!

Cindy in OK
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Visiting family in Tucson right now. We are leaving today and going to Yuma. Our newest grandson might very well be born today. They are at the hospital right now....SO EXCITED. This will be grandchild #8.

Tomorrow we will have to get home though. We have a rental car that needs to be returned and I have a hair cut appointment.

But Yuma is not that far...we'll be back soon or they will come to our house.

It will be good when this vacation is over...Been eating way too much. But they are temporary pounds!!

Have a wonderful day!!

Eileen (who is usually near San Diego)
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all: I have gotten my yoga done this morning and took the dog to the dog park. She had a grand time running about while I walked.

Healing angels to those who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Good morning. I'm new to My Fitness Pal having used another program. Two years ago I got inspired and through exercise and eating healthy, I lost 55lbs. Shortly after, I stress fractured my foot and was laid up for a while and it broke my momentum. I have gained 25 of those lbs and mentally beat myself up about it. I want so much to regain the will and momentum that I had. Today is day one!! SO thankful to have you all as encouragement!

ONE-STEP-AT-A-TIME.....literally.

Just start moving.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,361 Member
    Options
    How exciting Eileen! Wow, #8! ! :flowerforyou: :heart:

Cara, Stephanie, Angela and the other new ladies - a big welcome! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I'm addicted to self help and spiritual books and mostly have them on my Kindle because I'm embarrassed by how many I have. :blushing: :bigsmile: I like go have one "on the go" to read on sleepless nights or if I get a bit wound up. I keep the latest on my phone for moments when I have time on my hands. I don't know if I am a better person because of them:embarassed: , but I certainly enjoy them and find I am theoretically wise if not in reality.:laugh: :tongue: I usually go by Amazon reviews or recommendations.

I spoke to my yoga teacher's daughter today and it looks as if they might be coming over for that meal. Her boyfriend doesn't eat vegetables. I hope they will email me with food loves and hates.:bigsmile: My main concern is that they should enjoy themselves and not feel awkward.:happy:

I was worrying the other day about what to give my brother for his 62nd birthday. When I asked him if there was anything he wanted he couldn't think of anything and started talking about a project in Africa that he had collected for, visited and worked for as part of his 60th. For Christmas I usually give him an Oxfam contribution, like a sack of seeds for a poor farmer, as that is what he wants. My brother became a Born Again Christian in his 40s when he was going through a painful divorce. So as I usually spend about £25 I have decided to give him five £5 notes and put a note with them saying that each note has to be spent in a different way to do good. I hope he will have fun figuring it out! ! ! :laugh: :love: :heart: Today I went to the bank and got the five notes.:bigsmile:

Love to all. Got to keep my calories down today as I only have yoga calories to burn.:sad:

Heather in damp Hampshire UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hello again my friends

I've just spoken to the hospital and they are going to try to squeeze me in to have my gallbladder removed on a Saturday towards the end of May. Not ideal, but at least I feel that I'm getting closer to a date. My weight has fallen again, which is getting to be a problem. I never thought I'd say the following words 'I'm too skinny!'.

Big love to all.
    Amanda x

I theorize that the weight loss is connected to the gallbladder situation and will improve when you're done with surgery so it stops causing stress in your life. I hope continued weight loss goes way by itself or you'll be having a calorie quota to fill.

Hugs and best wishes.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,962 Member
    Options
    Well, I found out what was causing all my pain. X-rays identified arthritis in my right hip, arthritis in the middle of my back, and degenerate disks in my lumbar spine. I hate getting old!!!!! :explode: :explode: So the plan remains the same, exercise, stretch, walk, chiropractor and acupuncture on a regular basis. Weight loss included. :sigh: Must get back on track! Too much stress! Just also found out I need a new boiler. The one I have (just bought this house 6 months ago) is emitting carbon monoxide and cannot be repaired. It is too old. :grumble: It seems I just can't win!

Rita from CT
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump b u m p!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Here is the joke of the day, but I have to admit that in our house I am the one with this problem, not hubby.

:happy:

Q: How many men does it take to change a toilet paper roll?

A: No one knows, it's never been done.

:laugh:

This is an interesting article:
    http://t.today.com/news/experts-say-you-can-trick-your-mind-helping-you-lose-2D12178338
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I definitely identify with the sleep-deprivation-induced carb-craving-dilemna. I am learning to pack some protein, such as a few nuts or a piece of cheese, for a mid-afternoon snack on those days.

Willpower:
    I have not much willpower, except for those things I want to do, then I seem to have tons. My understanding is that willpower works for things you deep down do not really want to do (such as eat less, eat your veggies, stay away from sugar, etc), when you feel at your optimum. Well, when pray-tell is that going to happen?! Okay, on some days, yes.

On most days...my so-called "willpower" comes from having a plan in place for the day, which includes deciding ahead of time what to eat for breakfast and dinner, and packing the right lunch (or having ingredients ready to eat, if I am not getting out of the house). Of course, that means pre-planning and targeted grocery shopping. In addition, having a waterbottle at hand and keeping it filled at all times has really helped with my "willpower".

I am still learning these things. It's an ongoing process.

Renny
    from currently sunny Vancouver Island, BC - but rain is expected later today
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Debbie – welcome, never too late! Just jump on in

Joyce – not perfect ok, but stayed within your calories, and walked the dogs twice… you are doing good!!:flowerforyou:

Beth – take care of your son! Health and school come first; but is the baseball a fun physical outlet – with just one bad inning or is this not the right fit, right now for him….:smile:

Barbie – congrats on the new truck and feeling good about the decision! :happy:

Mountainsong - lets see if I can answer some questions.. if you want to email to someone (vs putting it on the “thread” of everyone’s posts you have to do that via their profile - How do I respond to a bunch of folks? I open a small window on my computer with word in it and as I read I write my responses in word, then copy and paste it into the reply window. :smile:

And I don’t go to the gym either; I may have to join one when I get down to just a few pounds to lose or to do definition; but right now I am just working on general shrinkage.:laugh: For me it is about the $$$-- walking, weeding, hiking are all free.

I maybe reading between the lines something that is not there; but the thing that helps me is logging my food every day, and weighing or measuring my food. That way the bite of this or just a taste don’t add up:noway: as even 100 extra calories a day is 700 a week which is a whole extra meal plus…:noway:

Sylvia – I think it is a testament to how good you are being day in day out that the cherry pie didn’t hurt you at all. :flowerforyou:

Drkatiebug – you can do this! We are cheering you on!!!

Cindy – Congrats!!!

Katla – sending good thoughts to DSIL – keep us posted….:flowerforyou:

Angela – welcome

Amanda - Finally you have a date; and maybe with the gallbladder out it will be easier to maintain at a weight you are comfortable with. :smile:

Rita – I am sorry to hear about the broiler and the dr issues…. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:

Well, lunch - and a fridge full of food- and no plan in the brain... did a pita with turkey and veggies... but I have to find some time this afternoon to really look at which veggies have the least shelf life and get something together. Yesterday was not very productive; company until noon and then errands and a meeting on teaching a BBQ class... so I feel like work is needing my full attention... better get back at it.

Smiles Kim - in N. California
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Dear Vit F sisters. I am really being tempted and giving into it to many times. Yes, the Cadbury eggs thing is over but there are still to many other carbs that are tempting me. Yesterday afternoon I poured a whole cup of my granola in a bowl and ate it, last night a whole tube of whole wheat crackers. I was still wanting something so I went and got several stalks of celery. I am intentionally putting a little more yogurt and granola in my bedtime snack. The scales are showing it. I have gained 4 pounds, well maybe part of it is because I haven't had a bowel movement in 2 days when I usually go several times a day. But as slowly as these pounds go off of me the smaller I get I'll be 70 before I am at my goal weight instead of 66 which is when I hope it is

my bipolar ice machine is back in it's depressive stage again. The manic phase didn't last as long either. I'm glad I have some ice cube trays and keep several bottles of water in the freezer. I don't fill them up all the way, put them on their side and freeze them. Then fill them up with hot water so it helps it to melt.

Welcome to all new members. See, we have problems to!

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Beth - your so right, your son does need to focus on his health. Emotional also, and if baseball is going to interfer, it's not the end of the world if that goes. So sorry he had a rough day

barbie - may you have many wonderful years with the truck

Mountainsong - there's one sure way not to feel "relatively new"....post lots!

Heather - wish *I* could say that I've lost 14 pounds since last summer. Alas, it's not to be. Just lost and found the same 3 or 4 pounds. I guess if you counted up all the times that I've lost those 3 or 4 pounds, you could say that I've lost 14 pounds since last summer. Of course in being truthful, I've also gained 14 pounds :(

Did an hour of stepping on the AMT. I remembered from the last time that I needed to up the resistance, then the last 15 minutes I ramped it up even a bit more. How I miss that stairstepper they had!!!!

Tomorrow there is a board meeting of the Newcomers so I'll do (probably twice) KCM 30 Minutes to Fitness DVD

A guy who did consulting work for Vince is coming here Friday. Not sure how long he'll be here for. Anyway, I made these key lime cupcakes, only instead of the oil I used silken tofu. They were so low in fat that they stuck to the muffin liners. Thank goodness I tried one, I could never serve that to someone. So I made another batch today only this time I sprayed the muffin cups. Now I have to think of what we can have, something that we can maybe have on the grill but in case it rains I can put it in the oven/broiler. I'm not big on red meat so maybe some for them and also some sort of chicken? I don't know yet, gotta think on this more. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm open to it

After exercising today went to WalMart and returned one of the tofu that I got (didn't know I already had one) and got another lime jello. Then home to start on my breakfast, then to CVS to pick up Loki's med then to the Green Room. They're going to start using the computer. To me, it looks like this one guy (he was the president when they built the room) may have been thinking "we need to modernize" so he investigated and found a program that's supposed to aid with the ticketing. I see a lot of problems coming up. Personally, I think they should have talked to the people who actually use it (Caroline). But that's not for me to say. They have a seating chart, but there aren't any numbers on the seats. Some people want certain seats, so if they call requesting them right now we have a seating chart with the numbers but when we go to the computer we have to count over the number of seats (and heaven forbid if we miscount). Then they're going to print out a ticket for each and every ticket the person buys rather than 1 ticket with all the numbers on it. To me, that's using more paper and ink. But then again, I'm not the one footing the bill (but I probably will eventually in higher ticket prices)

After CVS and before the Green Room I stopped at the Soup Kitchen. Gave them the key lime cupcakes that stuck to the paper. They have good flavor, they just stick to the paper. Also gave them the rest of the Twix bars that I used around Kris' cake along with some powdered milk and coffee creamer that I'm not going to use.

Stephanie - welcome! I really didn't understand your question, hopefully someone else will.

Cocotrendy - what a great incentive to lose weight! Happy (very) early birthday

Cindy 781 - ahhh...Lassie. A neighbor when I was little got a collie so that they could have a "Lassie"

katla good thoughts of your SIL and the job

Angela - look no further for motivational friends because you've come to the right place. I've never heard of Jawbone Up, what's it like?

jb - good for you throwing away those icky brownies and cupcakes

Amanda - I really can't believe that they're waiting so long to take your gallbladder out. Why the wait?

Carol in NC - that's what I do with the asparagus, snap it and it snaps right where the woody part starts. I think Emeril mentioned this a while ago. anyway, that's what I've always been doing. Yet, the cheapskate in me feels bad if I pay a lot and wind up throwing half of it away. I'm always on the lookout for how the rest can be used. I really don't want to have to start peeling each stem, it'd probably be too time-consuming. I usually steam mine. I got this microwave steamer and use it all the time

SCMcLaughlin1 - welcome!

Eileen - I'll be on pins and needles until you tell us about the birth

Heather - how wonderful of you to give your brother those notes

Rita - someone once said "getting old ain't for sissies" and they were so very right! Oh, no, a new boiler. Well...you certainly don't want c.m. poisoning

Going to post this to mark my spot. Happy day everyone!

Michele in NC
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    We had a nice Easter supper at DS's. Sure nice after working alday to just go over and relax. Did have a bit of a surprise. DGD's boyfriend found out 2 weeks ago he has a 9 month old son. Guess the girl had told him he was not the father and when she lost her job and applied for help they made her name who the father could be and several had to take DNA tests. DGD and him have only been together 6 months. They had the little boy at Easter supper and he is a cutie. Just want DGD to make sure she understands that now they come as a package and a big change for them.:blushing:

Heather--congrates on your walk. I know yesterday when DGD and I walked and felt so good afterwards. I have no excuse for not doing it more often. Just lazy. What a neat idea for a birthday gift.

yanniejannie--how fun to realize how long you have known your friends. It drives me crazy also when I am with someone and they keep checking the phone. I have gotten where I will tell them once and if they Happy Tuesday. Well today was weigh in day and I gained a pound. Seems this pounds has been coming and going the last month atleast. I really need to work harder to break this. Yesterday DGD spent the day with me and we took the 3 dogs for a walk. Walked for an hour and half. Boy! could I feel it last evening. But felt good and I did sleep better. So told DH we need to make this an evening event several times a week and the dogs enjoied it also.
    The lady that does my nails is coming over to my house this evening to do them this time. Her boyfriend needs help working on his truck so while DH and him are doing that she will do my nails. Not sure how I feel about her coming to the house. I am kind of afraid that he is doing this to control how long we can visit. He makes me worry for her as he joined our CMA group and then started dating different women. Very controlling and he scares me. Hope I am wrong.

Gail--sounds like an interesting guy and interesting loans.

Allison--Hugs!! Sounds like your Easter was busy and very stressful. Take care of you.

Beth--sounds like you have a very caring son and maybe making DH rethink things.

Sylvia--Hugs. You are so good to your son and family. Great NVS!!!
    do it again I get up and go sit somewhere else. Only takes one time and they know I mean it. I agree Lassie could make me cry everytime.

I also remember those big eggs. When my boys were young I would get them and have their names on top.

looseseal--Hugs, remember to take it one day at a time. I know when I have alot to do, I end up spacing off as not sure where to start. But trying to get better and I have learned the important thing is just to start somewhere and take it one thing at a time.

Cindy--thanks for sharing the puppy story.

Patty--you can vent here anytime. I do know what you mean about being friends one minute and then talking behind your back the next. I am really working on having a better attude.

Cyclingbonnie--Hugs and prayers.

Carol--I have heard about not enough sleep and weight gain. I am trying to get more sleep, just have trouble getting to bed before 11:30-12 and then getting up at 4:45 or 5:45 depending on what time I have to work and then also during the night I wake up every couple hours. Congrates on the bill paid. Feels good doesn't it.

Meg--hugs. I am sure DD will get over being mad. She has alot to think about. I love these warm days. We did get some rain Sunday evening, but could sure some more.It is hard when our kids are mad at us and all we want to do is save them from themselves.

Cara--welcome. You have found a very caring group. Come visit often.

Kim--Sorry. CMA is Christian Motorcyclists Association. DH has had motorcycles most the years I have know him. I love to ride and even thinking of taking a class to get my licence. We have a rat trike and that just means that it is one someone has made. I have driven that and like it. Then we have a 1200 valcan. That is a pretty big bike and I am learning to enjoy it. We have been members of CMA for 6 years and enjoy doing things with the group.
    This Saturday we are riding as a group to Burwell where one of our members is getting married and they want us to ride with the wedding party. Warm weather we do alot together. I bet that made your mom smile. What a neat thing to do.

Barbie--Congrates on the new truck and being comfortable with it.

Katla--prayers for DD and family.

Angela--Welcome and I do like your mantra. Might have to borrow that.

Tigress--can I ask what you were taking for depression. My doctor put me on welbutin a year ago and I want to stop taking it, but afraid to and I don't go back to doctor till August.

Eileen--congrates on the new grand baby. Are they not the best Blessings!!

Rita--Hugs.

Amanda--congrates on having a date for the surgery. I know since I had my out I feel so much better.

Well I am caught up again. Welcome to all the new women. I think it is good we keep growing, Must mean we are doing something right. Remember we are all in this together.
    Blessed! Vicki GI NE