I seriously need some good advice, not bs criticism please!

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I just saw a commercial on the Tummy Tuck Belt. I ordered it. I have not received it yet. Also you might want to try Rasberry Ketones to help burn calories. The ketones have helped me. My doctor is changing my medications so I had to stop using them for two Months, but they really work. Look on Google for Doctor Oz Rasberry Keotone. I used Vital Mend.

Mr S......please don't get suckered into this mumbo-jumbo weight loss gimmick trend.

You are new here and you may not yet realise but MFP is not a place where raspberry keytones, Dr Oz or whatever your belt thingy is a promoted and endorsed.

Do yourself a favour and have a look at such topics "A guide to getting you started on the way to Sexypants"....not all the right words but if you put sexypants in the Search bar you'll find it. (Don't be put off either....it isn't anything but a solid foundation on sensible, sustainable weight loss). Another one would be topic of "In place of a road Map"....again not complete title. Maybe someone a bit more computer savvy could lend a hand if they read this.

You have only posted twice......but this is exactly what you said in another unrelated topic. You recommending these products may reach people who are vulnerable to ALL these miraculous promises that we all wish/want to believe in.....when the truth of weight management is so much simpler and guess what no-one wants to rip your hard earned money from your fingers.

As you are 55 and are under a Doctors care the other issue is.....if you still feel so inclined to line the pockets of Dr Oz, the raspberry people or who ever please let your Doc. know everything that you are ingesting.....they may have side effects with your meds or your condition.

Have a fire-extinguisher handy too by the way.....especially if you keep posting this same thing.

Just read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Also there is a book Jumpstart your Metabolism by Pam Grout. She is a breathing Coach. Her book goes into detail on how to increase your Metabolism by breathing.

Huh?

Again, just read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    According to the Scooby calculator you need to eat around 2499 cals(your TDEE) a day if you want to lose fat and gain muscle, and 2275 if you want to eat at a 10% calorie deficit to lose more fat.... BMR 1s 1447
    There are total calories - because I've included 5-7 hours of strenuous exercise per week, so in this case you do not eat calories back.... Just set MFP at 2500 or 2250 and log exercise as 1 calorie....

pray tell, how does one build muscle AND lose fat at the same time…as the process for building muscle and losing fat are diametrically opposed to one another….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    My question is, what are you eating? Sugar turns directly to fat.. almost every processed food has sugar in it. I would try to avoid sugar the best you can. Remember that carbs turn to sugar as well. Good luck

lolz wow….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm wondering if maybe the fat around the middle is stress induced? I'm just finishing nursing school and understand that every time we feel stress the hormone cortisol is secreted from the adrenal glands. If it is not used for energy shortly after it's released, it is stored on our waist as fat. The body does not know the difference between good stress and bad, so it doesn't matter if your stress is from worry or from hitting the lottery-either way-use it or store it. Also, our body's favorite source for energy are carbohydrates, it's what your brain uses to run best and it will always be the 1st source the body uses for fuel. Therefore, if you have a bunch stored, or from a recent meal, you will not burn fat. Period. We only burn fat once the carbs are depleted. I am not advocating eliminating carbs, but if your diet is carb HEAVY and you don't burn them, they land on the waist.

if you are in a deficit and eat carb heavy you will still burn fat...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    my analysis of this thread..

page - 1 had some good advice…

page 2 through 3 had more BS then a cow stall that has not been cleaned out in a month…

wow…!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    No I'm sorry, I eat 2100-2300 a day & net around my bmr or a little more.

Drop to between 1900 and 2100.
  • mccindy72
    Options

page 2 through 3 had more BS then a cow stall that has not been cleaned out in a month…

wow…!

Hey, I gave some advice on page 3!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    lift weights (heavy ones) and eat at a slight deficit, very slow fat loss, e.g. aiming for 0.5lb a week, and be patient

regards your weight jumping up if you increase your calories - over what time scale are you monitoring this? You can expect a water weight gain when you increase your calories due to your body storing glycogen. This is a good thing, and it's not fat, and won't stop you from losing fat, in fact you may find you feel more energetic. You need to let your body store more glycogen, ignore the scale, then once your body's finished storing the extra glycogen, if you're still in deficit, the weight will start going down again as you lose fat. If you're at maintenance, then after the glycogen/water weight gains finish, your weight will be stable. If you do turn out to be at maintenance, then subtract 200 or so calories and eat that amount, for slow fat loss.

Water weight gains happen quickly, e.g. overnight or over a few days. Fat gains happen slowly. You have to eat 3500 calories over and above your TDEE to store just one pound of fat, so if you're seeing the scale go up by a couple of pounds overnight or over a few days and you're eating a normal amount of food, then it's not fat gain. Even if you are slightly over your maintenance calories, it'll probably take about a month to gain 1lb of fat, so there's plenty of time to monitor what's going on with the scale and adjust your calorie goal accordingly.
    thanks
  • mccindy72
    Options
    My sister in-law who is thin, really thin, only puts weight on in the middle section (tummy). She wanted to get rid of it, without taking off any additional weight. She swears going gluten free did the trick for her. I think she said within a months time her little pooch disappeared. Now she eats gluten free.

I have a least 27 lbs to go, have to take weight off everywhere and I love me gluten (bread, pasta)..

IDK if it will work for you, but it did for her.

Best of luck.

Edited to correctly spell gluten :wink: :laugh:

Gluten free only works if you have a gluten intolerance or Celiac disease. If not, there's no reason to do it. If it worked for her, it's because cutting out the gluten products put her in a calorie deficit.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Sugar turns directly to fat.. almost every processed food has sugar in it. I would try to avoid sugar the best you can. Remember that carbs turn to sugar as well. Good luck

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You NET 2200 - so you eat around 2800 to 3000 cals per day? That's a LOT of food for somebody your size, even if you are active.... Try upping your protein (so you stay full) and drop a few 100 cals and see if that works better......

Yep, just looked at your diary - you are eating a huge amount of carbs - and LOTS of calories...At 33 your are probably beginning to experience the unfortunate gradual slowdown of metabolism....Cut your carbs and up your protein - try the 40p/30c/30f ratio and cut a couple of 100 calories per day...All the sugar and refined carbs will spike your bloodsugar and make you feel like you are starving - and with that amount of calories it is not possible.....

^^agree...sounds like you are working out enough...my trainer told me toning is 80% DIET. I see flatter tummy when I cut my carbs...at least processed stuff. Try eating 'cleaner' less processed. and less carbs.
  • ndj1979
    Options

wow…!

LOL sorry cindy …I guess I over generalized…your advice was and always is, solid...
  • forgiven16
    forgiven16 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My question is, what are you eating? Sugar turns directly to fat.. almost every processed food has sugar in it. I would try to avoid sugar the best you can. Remember that carbs turn to sugar as well. Good luck

HAHAHAHA, biggest "bro science" post if I've seen on this forum. SUGAR DOES NOT TURN DIRECTLY INTO FAT. You only gain fat when eating at a calorie surplus. TECHNICALLY, I could just eat sugar and be in a calorie deficit and still loose weight.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    According to the Scooby calculator you need to eat around 2499 cals(your TDEE) a day if you want to lose fat and gain muscle, and 2275 if you want to eat at a 10% calorie deficit to lose more fat.... BMR 1s 1447
    There are total calories - because I've included 5-7 hours of strenuous exercise per week, so in this case you do not eat calories back.... Just set MFP at 2500 or 2250 and log exercise as 1 calorie....

pray tell, how does one build muscle AND lose fat at the same time…as the process for building muscle and losing fat are diametrically opposed to one another….

Since this site often seems to be suggested for finding out TDEE etc, I thought I might post this here.
    Of course, you might not rate the site as being valid, but well. I stumbled across this article before and would be interested at least on your view on it.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You NET 2200 - so you eat around 2800 to 3000 cals per day? That's a LOT of food for somebody your size, even if you are active.... Try upping your protein (so you stay full) and drop a few 100 cals and see if that works better......

Yep, just looked at your diary - you are eating a huge amount of carbs - and LOTS of calories...At 33 your are probably beginning to experience the unfortunate gradual slowdown of metabolism....Cut your carbs and up your protein - try the 40p/30c/30f ratio and cut a couple of 100 calories per day...All the sugar and refined carbs will spike your bloodsugar and make you feel like you are starving - and with that amount of calories it is not possible.....

^^agree...sounds like you are working out enough...my trainer told me toning is 80% DIET. I see flatter tummy when I cut my carbs...at least processed stuff. Try eating 'cleaner' less processed. and less carbs.

no…carb cutting just makes you lose some water weight and appear "more tone" (whatever that is)..calorie deficit is what leads to fat loss ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - I wil throw my .02 into the ring..

I would say figure out your TDEE and maybe cut about 500 calories off that …
    I would recommend sticking with the heavy lifting program that you are doing; however, I think you are overdoing it by doing P90X on your off days, and as some others have pointed out this is probably causing your cortisol levels to be spiked. If you really like cardio then maybe you could do some light running 20-30 minutes or HIIT sprints on off days combined with some ab work ..
    I would also recommend one, one hundred percent rest day each week.

that is all I got ….
  • mccindy72
    Options

wow…!

LOL sorry cindy …I guess I over generalized…your advice was and always is, solid...

:bigsmile:
  • ndj1979
    Options

Since this site often seems to be suggested for finding out TDEE etc, I thought I might post this here.
    Of course, you might not rate the site as being valid, but well. I stumbled across this article before and would be interested at least on your view on it.

ok, I will check it out..but here is my point..

to lose fat you need to be in a calorie deficit, IE negative energy balance
    to build muscle you need to be in an caloric surplus, IE positive energy balance.

Your body cannot be in a positive and negative energy balance at the same time; hence, what you are proposing is basically opposed to the laws of math and physics….

this is like saying you can build a house and tear it down at the same time…

ETA - no offense but that article sounds like a bunch of bro science….
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

ok, I will check it out..but here is my point..

to lose fat you need to be in a calorie deficit, IE negative energy balance
    to build muscle you need to be in an caloric surplus, IE positive energy balance.

Your body cannot be in a positive and negative energy balance at the same time; hence, what you are proposing is basically opposed to the laws of math and physics….

this is like saying you can build a house and tear it down at the same time...

Just to note, I am not personally proposing it.
    I am simply linking to an article that suggests it can be done and asking your view on the article.
    I am well aware of the mechanics of losing fat/building muscle, having successfully done both.

ETA - no offence taken, it is not my article and I did not say I agreed or disagreed with it :)