foods that are not "worth" the calories?

Options
Last week I got a jar of caesar dressing from Whole Foods. Not the 365 brand, this is the stuff by the salad bar, comes in a plastic jar and has NO nutrition information listed. I figured what the hey, you can look up the nutritional info online, so I grabbed it.

I have not been able to find a direct link to the nutritional info, but on MFP there is a WF Caesar dressing that is listed as 300cals/oz! I understand that for the most part, caesar dressing is not a low cal item, but I was expecting something towards the 200 mark. The stuff is delicious, but I can have an entire meal for that little bit of salad dressing.

Disclaimer: I still haven't been able to find a direct link to the Whole Foods Market Caesar Dressing, but I'm sticking with the 300cal figure I found on here.

Anyway, this had me thinking - Is there any food items you think isn't worth the calorie/fat count? Any food items you think are surprisingly high calorie/high fat?

Replies

• cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt with fruit. I greatly prefer the Fage no-fat with real fruit- takes seconds to make and tastes so much better than that syrupy stuff.
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I know people are going to yell and throw things but... peanut butter. I love love LOVE it, used to eat a 16 oz jar a week by myself. But 200 cals for 2 TB, and I use double that for a sandwich, so a regular PB&J is 700 or so calories. I was like, my god, no wonder I'm fat. I had one every day for like 2 years in college. XD
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Any fast food burger. I like a good burger, but not McD/BurgerKing etc. It just tastes like soft mush and Id rather make my own.
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I know people are going to yell and throw things but... peanut butter. I love love LOVE it, used to eat a 16 oz jar a week by myself. But 200 cals for 2 TB, and I use double that for a sandwich, so a regular PB&J is 700 or so calories. I was like, my god, no wonder I'm fat. I had one every day for like 2 years in college. XD

I ADORE nut butters, but man do I get your point :(
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

Try PB2 it is awesome and low calorie.

Ok OP, BBQ Ribs and Chicken Wings. OMG how can something with so little meat have so many calories? I love them but go with other cuts to get the same flavors.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Brocolli. It's like a mini tree.
    I don't want to eat trees.
    Disgusting stuf!

Oh and in the uk the supermarkets do low cal Caeser dressing which comes in at 60 calories/100g or so - nice enough and often don't bother logging it at that low - maybe 45 calories on my salad.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Mayo. I do really like it, and used to eat it on absolutely everything. But for the amount I want to eat, I just can't justify the calories. It's one thing where "just have less!" doesn't work for me. I know if I'm going to eat mayo, I'll be eating a LOT of it, so it works better for me to just avoid it all together.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    On that too - the extra light mayo is quite different, but I still find it tolerable and it comes in at 70 calories / 100g for the Hellmans one.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Brocolli. It's like a mini tree.
    I don't want to eat trees.
    Disgusting stuf!

I'm crying into my head of broccoli I eat each day. Delicious mini trees....
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Carbie sweets. I have a sweet tooth but things like donuts, cake, pastries, etc are just not worth it to me. I've found I enjoy a good quality dark chocolate so much more and a smaller portion satisfies me instead of fueling my appetite the way carbie sweets do.
  • hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!
    I was actually about to post asking this. Why do people on MFP include PB in so much of their food when 2 TBS = 200 Cals! I mean that's like a tasting size not a serving size! If I wanted to top that up with some honey, BAM my one slice of PB + Toast+ Honey is like what 400 cal? That's a whole meal worth of calories and it's not even filling!
  • yasoyyo
    yasoyyo Posts: 15
    Options
    Pasta. It doesn't really have much of a taste (at least not compared to the other yummy stuff I could eat for those calories), so while I don't dislike it I always avoid it.

The same goes for most all fast foods, really - if I'm going to have something high-cal I prefer for it to be something sweet and decadent, like a pastry or something.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Donuts, Danish pastries, milk chocolate.

Main one for me - take out pizza
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Everything that tastes good is worth the calories... =D

But things that are not? Anchovies, Onions, Creamed Corn (yuk), Spam, 50% of health foods and low/no fat options, real food alternatives... etc.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Starbucks. I love their hot chocolates, but even with skimmed milk and no whipped cream, they still come in at over 300 cals :( I am trying to curtail my addiction.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yeah take out pizza and me are done

I actually prefer an Italian style thin thing not drowning in cheese.

I am not saying I will never eat domino's again but it would have to be a hell of a social occasion or date to get me to eat that.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    low fat cheese
    non fat cheese
    tofurkey
    veggie patties
    tofu
    eggplant
    brussel sprouts
    escargot
    pepperoni less or cheeseless pizza

pretty much anything that doesn't actually taste good is IMO not worth the calories.
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Cheesemongers are like calorie crack houses, you can't just buy an oz, you have to pretend to yourself you are going to share it all with your friends, NOT

30g (1oz) = 100 calories :sad:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I don't eat lasagne any more. It's too high in calories for me to even contemplate fitting it in as I've tried the 'just have a small slice and plenty of salad' approach - that doesn't work for me and lasagne. And any attempt to make it lower calorie makes it nasty.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Crisps, generally. I love crisps, and every now and then I want some, but when I look at the nutrition table it's like... nah, not worth it. I'll still go for it sometimes but it's less and less frequent.

Mayo. Same calories as butter, more or less. I do love things with mayo but the weight of calories is really offputting. It's like what it adds to the sandwich taste wise just isn't enough to justify what it does to my numbers. I'm not saying never never, but I have to really REALLY want it, and I usually don't.

But for me, cheese, peanut butter, butter - totally worth it.