Dairy Queen Blizzards

Options
I have just been wondering how in the world they can get so many calories into these things? After all, they are made with that whipped up ice milk! Not even real ice cream! I was just looking at a new one they just came out with. A Medium has a calorie count of more than 900 calories. It doesn't even have any chocolate or peanut butter in it.

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There's a lot more to them than you realize. Here are the ingredients for a child sized soft serve (no cone, just the ice cream). I'd guess the milkfat and cornsyrup have something to do with the 140 cal per 92g. Add in candy, hot fudge/caramel syrup, flavoring etc and the calories are going to add up pretty quickly.
    \Dairy Queen Vanilla Soft Serve: Milkfat and nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, whey, mono and diglycerides, artificial flavor, guar gum, polysorbate 80, carrageenan, and vitamin A palmitate.

Here's a link to their nutritional info so you can do your own research:

http://www.idq.com/NCPublic/#
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know that's true. I guess I just wish they weren't so fattening!
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    but ohhh so good!

I like the tropical ones in the summertime after a along day at the pool!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    They are one of my favorite indulgences, although I ALWAYS get the mini size.

Honestly to me, a mini Blizzard at 330-450 calories (the ones I usually order) is more yummy and satisfying than just about any other sweet treat. Way better than 300 calories worth of cookies or a 500 calorie frozen custard sundae and definitely WAY better than a 700 calorie milkshake.

The thing that gets me calorie wise is all the stuff at Sonic...slushes, shakes, etc. They are so high calorie and I have never enjoyed any of them!
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    There's a lot more to them than you realize. Here are the ingredients for a child sized soft serve (no cone, just the ice cream). I'd guess the milkfat and cornsyrup have something to do with the 140 cal per 92g. Add in candy, hot fudge/caramel syrup, flavoring etc and the calories are going to add up pretty quickly.
    \Dairy Queen Vanilla Soft Serve: Milkfat and nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, whey, mono and diglycerides, artificial flavor, guar gum, polysorbate 80, carrageenan, and vitamin A palmitate.

Ah yes, the old completely designed and manufactured product made from various chemicals that achieve the goal of a certain flavor and mouthfeel at a price point that maximizes return on investment trick. It's depressing when I begin to think about how many of us are not even really eating real food.

...pink slime anyone?
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    But the minis are so small!!!
    They are one of my favorite indulgences, although I ALWAYS get the mini size.

Honestly to me, a mini Blizzard at 330-450 calories (the ones I usually order) is more yummy and satisfying than just about any other sweet treat. Way better than 300 calories worth of cookies or a 500 calorie frozen custard sundae and definitely WAY better than a 700 calorie milkshake.

The thing that gets me calorie wise is all the stuff at Sonic...slushes, shakes, etc. They are so high calorie and I have never enjoyed any of them!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I love the blizzards; however, they are very rare treat for me. The cost of them is to outrageous. The calorie intake is high on them. I had one last summer when I was recording and cringed when I realized how high it was. (Didnt research before). I don't have to worry about being tempted to go get one at work any more, seeing the DQ across the street closed down.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    copious amounts of sugar and fat
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The small ice cream treats at McDonald's are tasty and have less calories.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I get a small dipped cone at least once a week for my treat, I personally think it fits in to my calorie and macro goals quite well. I can see where the blizzards would be more of a problem though....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I adore the midnight truffle blizzard. I get the small and I only have it occasionally.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Now I want a brownie batter Blizzard. Those chemicals were heavenly.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

140 cals per 92 grams? Hell, the froyo I had last night was 200 for 98 grams and peanutbutter cup ice cream runs me 300+ for 100 grams. 140 doesn't seem like much in comparison.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I like the Mini's ... sure I want more of it, but it still gives me the fix I need.
  • bigfatguy3
    bigfatguy3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    skinny cow ice cream sandwiches are a great replacement at only 150 calories! but blizzards are really goooooood!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Actually, think I'm going to get one this afternoon, that fills out my day quite nicely. I'm not normally much of an icecream eater, but those things are addictive!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have just been wondering how in the world they can get so many calories into these things? After all, they are made with that whipped up ice milk! Not even real ice cream! I was just looking at a new one they just came out with. A Medium has a calorie count of more than 900 calories. It doesn't even have any chocolate or peanut butter in it.

My favorite dessert in the world is a brownie sundae. I happened to look it up on the Ale House menu and it listed 2,400 calories for their version. We're talking two normal-sized brownies, a couple small scoops of vanilla ice cream, very few nuts and a little hot fudge.

I keep wracking my brain trying to figure out where all those calories come from! I mean, I can see how the one at Rainforest Cafe would be that many, but not the Ale House one!
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I really need a blizzard now. Strawberry Cheesequake please!?!
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i've had to just about give up on the blizzards. :( we went last night as a treat for my 6 yr old who had an epic day at school and with her homework (shes really struggling poor thing. adhd sucks) and i got a med chocolate cone. i had 420 cals to "spend" i almost got a large orange julius for ten cals over, but i wanted chocolate LOL.

hoping for date night tonight and 'm gonna eat a super light lunch so i can have a blizzard.