WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER

Options
:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Welcome to the thread that changed my life. The title is “Women Ages 50+” but all women are welcome. We provide support and encouragement to each other by checking in regularly, sharing our successful and not so successful experiences, and building a community.

October is a time when the weather begins to change and for some that means more exercise outdoors and for us in the rainy northwest, it means looking for more ways to exercise indoors. This is also the time when we begin to anticipate or dread the fall and winter holidays and all the food and family and festivity.

The beginning of the month always feels like a clean piece of paper for making a clean start……how did you do with your goals for September? Even if September wasn’t a banner month for you, this is the chance to make a new beginning. Many of us like to set goals for the new month and put the goals in our signatures so all of us can see them.

Some of us set weight loss goals (lose 4 pounds) others set behavioral goals (burn 400 exercise calories a day, go to bed earlier) and others set attitude goals (no complaining, count my blessings). If a month long goal seems daunting, try a daily or weekly goal or read the thread for a few days and see what goals others are setting and get some good ideas for yourself.
I can’t wait to hear what everyone has to say……….:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Replies

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi

Sorry I've not been very chatty in September, I've been feeling out of sorts with myself. Nothing too drastic, just a bit down and feeling tired and grumpy. Starting to feel a bit more normal so will chat again later (if I can get on the computer!!) DH has been a bit of a computer hog lately.

Anyway off to walk the doggies, it will give me time to think about goals for October.

Viv :heart:
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Checking in and marking my place. We should be home in a week. Then I have to find a new gym as the YMCA in my town closed just before we left mid-August. DH is trying to sleep so I'm off to bed as well.

Faye
  • chicletgirl
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone!

Michele:flowerforyou:

I am so sorry, I misunderstood. I thought Sadie was a dog. (My brain thinks only in dog mode) I have definnitely heard that cats will do that, more so than dogs. Can't your vet tell you if she is in much pain? They see so many aniimals and are aware of the signs more than us. Maybe that will help you some. Boo is sitting at my side and is reaching out to me with her paws as if in agreement.

Yes I have felt like my SIL is mental. My mom says she has always thought she was bipolar. Highly likely, by the way she acts.

Suezzzque:flowerforyou:

Well I polished off the rest of the spaghetti I made the other day. ( I am now sick of it) A friend of mine took me to the store tonight to get some things for the frig. I had nothing but bottles of ketchup, marinades, etc. and a pitcher of ice tea. I broke down and used some of my money for the rent this month. First place I went to was the veggies and I felt like I was in a candy shop. I just loaded up on them.:smile: I never thought I would say that in my life time. I can't wait to eat my veggies tomorrow. That's why I ate the rest of the spaghetti, so I could start with a clean slate tomorrow. Got some oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, and sandwich stuff. I had to go to Vons and shop instead of the Walmart Superstore, so it cost me more than usual. I feel bad having to ask my friend for a ride to the grocery store let alone going out farther to Walmart. So all in all I spent $90 of my rent money. But it was necessary, I was just to hungry. Couldn't wait until the 3rd of October. I still need to replenish my pantry and get more refrigerator stuff. Never got this low before.
    Do you take a tablespoon of cider vinegar at every meal? And how many days do you have to do it? Must taste awful, but I know I am going to crave carbs after this week, so I am not going to wait.

:flowerforyou: To all those that suggested the social worker.

I did call hers at the rehab facility and spoke to her about the situation but the first thing she wanted to do was call adult protection. I told her no. One because my mom would have a fit and two, because my brother will stop it if my mom puts her foot down. I just need to get mom to put the foot down. The social worker went in to talk to mom, but only asked how she was doing! And of course mom said everything was just dandy.The lady was supposed to call me back, but didn't. I called again today and had to leave a message. I will call again tomorrow, I've got to know exactly what she asked her.
    Today mom told me that I am getting to personal in her money issues. This really irritated me, because I am trying to get things in order and settled for my mom to come to California and she acts like I am bugging her. She always wants to get off the phone because she says I always bring things up she doesn't like to talk about. She is a major procrastinator, whereas I am one of those people who jump in and get it done and over with as fast as possible. That's when she usually hits me with, " I wish you were the passive one and your brother was more like you." Like its bad to be sure of yourself and handle things if your a woman, but it is okay if you are a man. Irritates me.

Well I am off to bed. Boo is looking at me with those eyes saying "Come on, lets go to bed.":yawn:
    Night.

Chiclet
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    X marks the spot x
  • vikkij12
    Options
    bump
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. Happy October!

Well, I met all my goals in September and really hope that I can do the same this month. I want to see that 100 pound gone mark on my ticker so badly! It seems to be taking forever now. Realistically, I know it's not, but the weight does seem to be trickling off now. Basically, I'm never satisfied with my weight loss!

It's time for me to go through all my clothes again and get rid of anything that is too big. I especially need to throw out underwear. Just because they can't normally be seen, doesn't mean that I can get away with them being much too big! It will break my heart to get rid of some of the bra and pants sets that I spent a fortune on, but I'd rather be smaller than still able to wear them.

Maybe it's the colder, damper weather, but my knee has been playing me up the last couple of days. I don't want it to interfere with my exercise so I'll probably start wearing a support on it again. I shouldn't complain, I haven't used my walking stick for months now - thanks to my weight loss and increased exercise levels.

Speaking of which, it's time for me to get off the netbook and do some moving!

What are everyone's goals for October and how did you get on with your September goals?

Love to all

Amanda x
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    www.ampleharvest.org to donate backyard garden produce or to find a pantry near you. A blessing to those of us who have too many veggies, and those who need more.

Sept 2010 intentions:
    Dance/garden/walk 1 hr -not quite every day but factoring in line dance class average came pretty close
    + gutt'n'butt daily. -most I managed was 8 days in a row.
    Lenten lifestyle. -a couple of blips but no disasters
    Moderate weekends. -improving but not there yet
    Mend something every week. -50%
    Gratitude. -so easy to forget all I have to be thankful for!

OK, I resolve to ENJOY our anniversary trip to the ocean tomorrow and NOT STRESS over anything.
    Will make healthy choices whenever possible, and try to offset the extra wine with extra long beachwalks and water.
    Then it will be back on track with dance class 3 times / week and the Lenten lifestyle.

Funny thing, was stalled, gaining/losing the same 3 pounds every week.
    Went back to hotwater/cider vinegar/honey/knox "pre-breakfast" and now things are moving again in the right direction again.
    Thanks Barbie, never never NEVER give up!

Warm autumn wishes and see you in a week!

gutt'n'butt try 10 day 3
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Happy October, everyone!

Well, I'm down to my last 3 weeks of working at the Garden Center. I will have lots of time to try some new workout routines and am thinking of getting one of the $9.99 subscriptions to exercisetv.tv for a month or two to try some out before buying. I am also going to be checking out some of the workouts that are available at Netflix.

I just did okay with my September goals. I had a tough time losing any weight but I did manage to get down a pound which, as we all know, is better than being UP a pound so I'm okay with that, though I do wish it had been more. It will be easier to change up the foods once I am on hiatus, too, so I will try some new things there, too.

I did work out for at least 60 minutes six days a week so I am going to increase that once I am off. That's another reason I want some new routines--I get bored very easily. More outside walking will be done, also.

Those will be goals starting October 23rd, though. Until then, I have my goals in my signature.

I have read all your posts and I am praying and sending good thoughts to you all, especially Michelle dealing with poor Sadie, Chicklet and her financial and family problems, and Amanda with her health--many prayers for all of you.

I need to get my 'wake up' workout done so bye for now!:heart::heart: :flowerforyou:

Almost forgot: auntiebk--what exactly is your "pre-breakfast"? Do you do the 1 tsp. of each in water? I've been thinking of trying that for my minor arthritis aches.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

x marks the spot with a ...

I did OK for September even though no weight loss. I am establishing a habit of going to the Y, Most likely I will just roll over my goals to October. The only big difference is that I have finally set an end date on when I want to be at my original goal weight. 1/5/2011 is the date. I will be glad if I make it and I won't be devastated if I don't.

Have a great day all and best wishes to all,

Jeannie
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    No time to post.:grumble: ..so just bumping for my place:wink:

Have a good day all:bigsmile:

Laura:smile:

PS Jeannie....your signature says August goals:ohwell: ...I'm thinking you have been sooooo busy that you have lost a lot of time:huh: ...I'm sure it's due to your very busy family:wink:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    September was not a successful month for me. I couldn't keep it together. I gained a couple of pounds back and just can't seem to motivate.

October I will get back to my diligent excessive exercise, my weekly meal planning and sticking to it, and controlling the alcohol. (I really love wine:tongue: ) I can do this.

I hope you are all doing well. Happy October.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Suezzzque:flowerforyou:

Well I polished off the rest of the spaghetti I made the other day. ... Do you take a tablespoon of cider vinegar at every meal? And how many days do you have to do it? Must taste awful, but I know I am going to crave carbs after this week, so I am not going to wait.

Chiclet

I took a teaspoonful of organic apple cider vinegar EVERY time I ate ANYTHING when I was first getting off simple carbs. Usually it only takes 3 days to a week to get things back under control. Now I only take it when I've eaten them. Since you only did it for a week I bet it won't take long. It will also help to do veggies only for a few days with no salt , caffeine, fat or meat. There is a whole thread that should answer all your vinegar questions here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/83045-apple-cider-vinegar-helps-conquer-carb-cravings

As for you problems with your mom, I've been there too. My brothers never undermined me in the money department, but my SiLs kept the pot stirred the ENTIRE time Moma was in the nursing home. I never knew if she was going to be glad to see me and trying to give me everything she owned, or hateful and accusing me of stealing from her and getting rid of her stuff without asking. One SiL literally gave me no peace after Moma died until my brother received his check for his portion of her estate! Sadly, often times our aged parents just aren't rational.

After a summer long plateau added to a plethora of inlaw birthdays all in the same month, I gained 5 pounds in August/early September, and then lost 7 in the month of September. Leaving me with a net loss of 2 pounds. I can't really blame it on anyone but myself. No one held a gun to my head and forced me to eat all that birthday cake. Important thing is I figured out something that is working to get the scale moving back in the right direction again. If I can continue this trend I will reach my goal weight by Thanksgiving.

Today and tomorrow are going to be very busy fun days. Our church is sponsoring a free wedding weekend so I am getting to indulge my creative side extensively. (In my perfect world life would be one big family reunion or party complete with a theme and decorations, so I'm having a blast!) There are 3 weddings this evening and then 3 more tomorrow afternoon. It'll be so much fun helping the brides and their families on their special day. I got to put together the honeymoon gift baskets and get to be the one to hand them out.

My goals for October are to say no to simple carbs, exercise at least 5 days a week, drink all my water and lose 2 pounds a week. :drinker:
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies!!
    Like Viv I have definitely been off in September but I hope to shake the blahs and get back in the swing of things.

Sorry to hear that so many are going through some tough times but as they say "this too shall pass" I'm hear to listen and to help with prayers and hugs sent across the miles.

I started a belly dancing class last night and although I don't think I have it down just right I had fun and am looking forward to next week. My brother is peeved that I won't tell him what class I am taking but he make fun of me so I told him that all he needs to know is that I am busy from 7 -8:30 every Thursday night. He said"why?? it's not Belly dancing is it?" I managed a straight face and asked him why he would even think that. he said that Belly dancing is the only thing he could think of that he couldn't imagine me doing. :laugh: Looks like the joke is on him!!!

September wasn't all bad for me. I did manage to lose 12 pounds and although I didn't meet all my goals I have a good start. In the past two and a half weeks I have been doing sit ups (50) every day and last week I added twists (50) so although it isn't quite the work outs that most of you are doing, for me it is a big step.

Have a great and healthy day

Peggy
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    Oooh! ....I know I've been bad at logging in since I've been back ...no real excuses except the things life's throwing at the moment!
    I hope October brings good health and happiness for everyone.
    Just a quick query really ....way back whenIi first started chatting to all you great people I mentioned I was off on a cruise ....again...cruise#3...next September.
    We're in touch through Cruise Critic with some others on the cruise and we're now looking at excursions etc. We leave from Seattle and we're spending the first night before the cruise at the Marriot. Then after the cruise we're staying at the Hyatt at Olive 8 for one night before we fly back to the UK.
    So ....I can't remember whether any of you are from Seattle .... and if so perhaps you coud give me some pointers on whether the hotels are near anything good to see etc. Where's good to eat etc.
    wouldn't it be good to meet up for a coffee maybe??
    ...just a thought!
    I'll try and get back into being good again!!
    BFN
    Jackie
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Just a quick Hi, and a bump for later. Don't want to lose the ladies in the neighborhood. Happy October!:flowerforyou:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Oooh! ....I know I've been bad at logging in since I've been back ...no real excuses except the things life's throwing at the moment!
    I hope October brings good health and happiness for everyone.
    Just a quick query really ....way back whenIi first started chatting to all you great people I mentioned I was off on a cruise ....again...cruise#3...next September.
    We're in touch through Cruise Critic with some others on the cruise and we're now looking at excursions etc. We leave from Seattle and we're spending the first night before the cruise at the Marriot. Then after the cruise we're staying at the Hyatt at Olive 8 for one night before we fly back to the UK.
    So ....I can't remember whether any of you are from Seattle .... and if so perhaps you coud give me some pointers on whether the hotels are near anything good to see etc. Where's good to eat etc.
    wouldn't it be good to meet up for a coffee maybe??
    ...just a thought!
    I'll try and get back into being good again!!
    BFN
    Jackie

Jackie downtown Seattle is small so you are close to everything. I love the Hyatt Olive 8 we stayed there once for a wedding gift from my dad. Depending on what you like to do there are lots of things close. the busses run thru downtown free. They aren't expensive if you go out of the area either. coffee would be great if you want to PM me we can arrange that. there are so many great restaurants in the area just tell me what kind of food you like and I will point you in the right direction. I walk everywhere when I am down there. the famous Pike Place Market is about 10 blocks from the Hyatt, I am not sure but probably about the same from the Marriott. Its a good walk with hills. Seattle is very similar to San Fransisco when it comes to hills. I love the city to visit. (I couldn't live in a city but it is a blast to visit.) we do so about twice a year.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I think I was too ambitious with my Sept. Goals....

(1) Be able to run for an hour by EOM - well I did a race last weekend and it had a 10K at the end of it and it took over an hour and I did get through it. But that wasn't what I meant. I am no where near being able to run for an hour at a time like I was before I was injured.

I can do a 5K with my 3 min. run / 1 min. walk strategy without any issue though.. The 10k took 1 hr. 12 min. because (a) I spent 5 min. in a port-a-potty. :blushing: and (b) I had to run very, very slowly for the last mile to get through it.

(2) Find a new job - finally posted my resume on Dice.com and LinkedIn. Actually talked to some recruiters and even had a phone screen. So, even though I have no new job, I feel like I met that goal because I did my part.

(3) Continue to heal my calf injury- it's much, much better but still not 100% I'm going to keep up the PT and acupuncture until the end of Oct. at least.

(4) Do Tabata Squats 5-6x a week - that turned out to be a dumb idea. I did do them. 5-6x in the MONTH. :laugh: But I did more strength training overall and more days with two workouts so doing them 5-6x a week would have been counter productive. I'm going to modify that goal for Oct.

So here are my Oct goals:

Be able to run/walk for an hour without pain by EOM
    Continue to look for a new job
    Continue to heal my calf injury
    Do strength training 3-4x a week
    Blog 2x a week minimum
    Have fun at my next race and not stress about getting on the podium, my times or anything performance oriented

I couldn't fit all that in my signature though....
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello everyone, good day today sleepy now, exercises are sure taking affect. My sis is teasing me today, but I know tomorrow I am going to have the last laugh, because she really tackled the routine tonight. He he can't wait!

Hope all is well and wellness for all ...

Marilyn
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Denise - you'll get there, I know it. Take it one day at a time, heck, one hour at a time even.

Amanda - so sorry to hear you will be needing surgery. Prayers and good thoughts from here

chicklet - I always find that pasta makes me want more carbs. You know, I would tell people about your bad week. They will probably view you as one of the "regulars". That's OK that you thought Sadie was a dog and not a cat. No problem at all. Right now Sadie is just laying in the closet. To be honest, I really think it's his time. Vince picks him up and takes him to the food, sometimes Vince takes food to Sadie. I know that I just have to wait for Vince to accept this. I just don't want to see Sadie suffer. I'm not picking him up and taking him to the food. Sometimes (not too much) I will take food to him (like tuna juice).. You sound a lot like me. I'm the one who will take care of things asap, Vince is the one who will wait until the last minute -- and then many is the time he forgets! Like we had to sign this paper for the ride along with the sheriff. I filled out my form the day after our first meeting when we got the paper. Vince didn't fill his out until the day we were to hand them in.

Did an hour of extreme pump today, then went to this health food store that just opened up. I was a bit disappointed in that most of the store was crafts (artwork) and not food. But at least they did have unsalted pumpkin seeds. There's not one store around here that has them unsalted. I also bought some soba pasta. I've been dying to try it. Got a few other things, I was honestly surprised at how much it cost. Tomorrow another branch of the Y is having a yoga class at 9 so I'll go there. There's some sort of bike ride at the Y where I usually go (which translates into "parking is going to be a nightmare"). I might start going there on Saturdays since it's much closer to my house. Update: had the soba pasta for dinner tonight. It is quite good. At whole foods they had what looked like fresh soba noodles. These were dried (like spaghetti). Wonder what the difference is beyond freshness?

There is a picnic for our neighborhood tomorrow. I made some indoor smores. One of my neighbors gets her hair done at the same place I do, I took them there one day and she had one. she told me later that she had about 4....lol So I told her that I would make them for her...but she had to share.....lol

We had a homeowners assoc. meeeting last night. As usual, there wasn't much of a turnout. Vince is going to be contacted about working on the revised bylaws (since he had to take law classes for the CPA exam, he's no lawyer, but he at least has some idea of the law).

Faye - I'm so sorry that your Y closed. Do you know the reason why it closed?

For anyone: I made those indoor smores. The pans that I used are the nonstick baking pans. Here's my question: how do you cut them up without making a mark on the pan???? I used to use a plastic knife, but the knife broke.

Another question: so many times in forums here I see people posting "bump". What does that mean?????

Peggy - isn't belly dancing kool??? I really enjoyed it.

Popped the popcorn for the tree. See, every year I string popcorn for our Christmas tree. The main reason I'm doing this so early is so that I can do it on the deck. this way, if pieces break off and fall on the deck, they just get blown away and I don't have to clean up. Am I lazy or what? I should probably get one more bag of popcorn. But at least I have something to start on right now.

It's so nice here today. Think I'll go out on the porch and do some reading.

Have a great evening everyone

Michele
  • chicletgirl
    Options
    Popped the popcorn for the tree. See, every year I string popcorn for our Christmas tree. The main reason I'm doing this so early is so that I can do it on the deck. this way, if pieces break off and fall on the deck, they just get blown away and I don't have to clean up. Am I lazy or what? I should probably get one more bag of popcorn. But at least I have something to start on right now.

:laugh: Michelle, you are so funny. I don't think it is lazy at all! I think it show ingenuity. (Hope I spelled that right). Not only does it clean itself up, but the pieces that blow away will be eaten by birds. It's the "Circle of Life" thing. LOL
    I agree with you regarding Sadie. Maybe you should start talking to you hubby to brace himself for it. When he takes her to her dish to eat does she eat? If she's not wanting to go on her own I would think this is another sign. Poor Sadie. I feel so bad for her. It's really not fair that our pets have such short lives compared to us. How they touch us in their short time on this earth, is a tribute to the love they are able to give us. I know this is really a tough thing to decide to do and the best way I handled it, was I took myself out of the equation. I can't keep a pet alive because it will hurt me to see him go, I had to think of my pet. It is really hard to do. I will be thinking of you.

I had sauted chicken and roasted veggies tonight for dinner and was in "heaven". It was so good, and the difference in how I feel after eating this compared to pasta, can't be put into words. I am so glad that I began this journey of eating healthy. It has changed me in so many ways ....all positive. Plus I get the benefit of having you all helping me with my eating choices. I would never have roasted veggies if it hadn't been for Mimi. And reading how you all incorporated vegetables into your lives has made my choices so much better. I get a big thrill shopping for veggies and am so proud when I am unloading my basket and it is primarily veggies. I love getting the stares at my food on the conveyor belt and questions on how I eat this or what the heck is this vegetable from the checker.:laugh: I have changed so much in these past few months and I owe a lot of it to all of you.

Thanks from the bottom of my healthy heart!:heart:

Chiclet