WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER

Options

Replies

• Lianne95519
    Lianne95519 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am posting to pick up the thread and to say I am getting my knee replaced November 3rd. I am sooooo ready and working to maintain my 30 pound weight loss with less and less options for workout. Mostly upper body and abs is what is possible this month. I have to protect my knee from injury such as skinned knees or cat scratch this month before surgery because my surgeon won't operate if the skin is broken.....I like that about him.

Great to see all the new folks, welcome. Using the journal to track my food and reading all the helpful ideas helped me lose 30 pounds last year with a bad knee so I will use this to walk through (no pun intended) this next physical challenge to not gain and even lose through surgery.

:drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart:
    Lianne.
  • chicletgirl
    Options
    You know, tonight I went into the closet where Sadie was. He did get up and come up to me purring (as best he can). This may not be logical, but deep inside I believe he knows that I'm trying to help him. At least that's what I prefer to believe, it makes me feel just a little bit better.

Michele
    I do believe they know that we are trying to help them. Boo may not be able to talk to me, but she lets me know by signals and different barks and of course her eyes. If Sadie came to you like that, I take it as her wanting comfort during this time. They seek out the strong one to feel safe and know that you will be there for them when things get tough. Your a good mom Michele. I'm glad Sadie made you feel better. That's their unconditional love kicking in. Even when things are going bad they still think of us. That's what makes our pets unique.

Marilyn
    I think Buttons may be a cat (by your picture) but when my boston terrier used to get skin rashes from allergies I gave them benadryl (though my vets advice). My dog used to actually break out in welts, and benadryl had them gone completely by the next day. Don't know if it works on cats, but you could ask and see fi you need to cut the pill in half. The oatmeal bath was a great idea. Very soothing. Good luck with the allergies.

Well my mom upset me yesterday, chewing me out for "getting into her bank business and my brother abusing her money". She asked him to not take anything out of her check on the first and he went and did it anyway. I told her she needs to remove his name off the account. She flat out refuses to do so, and told me to mind my own business. So I didn't answer her call that evening (because she always apologizes), but I am just fed up and am tired of dealing with this with her when she refuses to do anything about it. She called me 4 times today, but i didn't answer. I just don't want to play these games she does with me. Its funny, she has no problem telling me off or yelling at me or ignoring me for days on end, but my brother who she is terrified of she never raises her voice at him or tells him off. I don't think she realizes what I am trying to do for her over her. She even accused me of wanting her money for myself. I told her she needs to take care of herself first then if she wants to help my brother with whatever she has left thats up to her. But she has to be first. She'll say she understands and agrees but then when I tell her that he has spent over half of her money, she gets on the defensive for hiim.I'm just tired of beating my head against a wall. So mom is going to have to go without hearng from me this weekend.
    I will probably call her on Monday after I find out what the social worker spoke to her about.

Well I am getting tired and Boo is already asleep, so that's my que that I need to be in bed also.

So good night everyone.

Chiclet
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Well my mom upset me yesterday, chewing me out for "getting into her bank business and my brother abusing her money". She asked him to not take anything out of her check on the first and he went and did it anyway. I told her she needs to remove his name off the account. She flat out refuses to do so, and told me to mind my own business. So I didn't answer her call that evening (because she always apologizes), but I am just fed up and am tired of dealing with this with her when she refuses to do anything about it. She called me 4 times today, but i didn't answer. I just don't want to play these games she does with me. Its funny, she has no problem telling me off or yelling at me or ignoring me for days on end, but my brother who she is terrified of she never raises her voice at him or tells him off. I don't think she realizes what I am trying to do for her over her. She even accused me of wanting her money for myself. I told her she needs to take care of herself first then if she wants to help my brother with whatever she has left thats up to her. But she has to be first. She'll say she understands and agrees but then when I tell her that he has spent over half of her money, she gets on the defensive for hiim.I'm just tired of beating my head against a wall. So mom is going to have to go without hearng from me this weekend.
    I will probably call her on Monday after I find out what the social worker spoke to her about.

Chiclet

Boundaries are good. A few days of silence is not necessarily a bad thing. I had some awful times with my Moma when she broke her hip and ended up in the nursing home. At first I took all she dished out. Once I sat in her hospital room for two days listening to her delusions and false accusations. I stayed upset all the time. It took me awhile but I finally learned that for my own sanity I had to set some boundaries. Eventually I learned the best thing to do when she got like that was to tell her, "I'll be back when you can be civil." and leave. She was always better the next time I saw her.

Sort of reminds me of something an elder in our church told me. He had asked about my mom and I told him she was alot like having a 10 year old. She could do alot of things for herself, but couldn't be trusted to stay alone or to always make good choices. He replied, "Elderly parents are worse than having children. You can spank a child an make them mind. You can't do that with your parent." Made me laugh at the time, but so very true. You might even get some pointers from the social worker on how to motivate your mom to do the right thing....
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, all,

The nice cooler air here is very inspiring! I got my first walk/run in since returning home and pleased to say that the high altitude hiking helped my "wind". I was able to get 12 minutes of jogging into my 40 minute walk. Felt so good!

Becky: Sorry I failed to say welcome last post. Look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome, welcome all of our newcomers. Sometimes I forget names when I start to write...but I look forward to getting to know you and wish you great success on this journey!

Barb: sounds like you are back on track too. 2 pounds is not so bad and you are smart to correct it right away! How nice to reconnect with a "ghost" from the past.

Lianne: sorry you have to have surgery but you will be glad when it is over. Hope all goes well and keep us posted

Faye: Where are you in Alberta? On our recent roadtrip from MT through the Pacific NW, we then drove out to Jasper and down to Lake Louise before driving back down to MT. I LOVED the drive from Jasper to Lk Louise...it was like another planet to me! Be safe and hope to hear from you again soon.

Renny: Good to hear from you and way to go on the 1 pound gone in Sept. (much better than what I did that month) and for going to the spinning classes. You are inspiring!

I am off to fertilize my shrubs and pull more weeds out of my vegetable garden. WOW...a month gone makes me realize what I usually do every day. My parents drove over and spent the night with me last night since DH is gone and they didn't want me to be lonely. It was nice to have them here. My mother helped me pull some weeds yesterday afternoon, but I had to make sure she didn't over-do it as she has her own garden to weed and she will hurt herself in an attempt to help. I love that they still want to "help" their children so. They are 2 blessings that I count every day!

Have a wonderful Sunday, everyone. :heart: Kackie
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Michele, It is a sad and hard situation you are in. Hang in there.

To all the newcomers - The beginning of every month I remeasure everything. I have certain cups and bowls I use and most of the time I 'sight" measure food just cause I'm always in a rush. So, the beginning of every month, I remeasure the milk I use in my coffee and cereal and my cereal etc, etc. It helps me keep my portions honest through out the month.

I have a friend who is loosing her home on 10/15 due to the economy and the banking situation. She started out with 2 horses, 5 llamas, 1 turtle, 4 cats and 5 dogs. She is down to 2 cats and 1 dog. She is the one that gave us Blue (our new fat cat). If she can't find homes for them, they will have to go to the pound. Most of our rescue groups are full and can't take the cats. One is 11 and one is five. I am not a cat person, but I will probably come home with 2 more cats and another dog on October 14th. A no kill shelter might take the cats in 2 months. They will let me advertise the dog through them if I keep it and feed it. It is a basset hound/lab cross.

I feel for this lady. She is having to move back to Northern Minnesota and live with her sister and is loosing everything. I feel for the pets.

I can't imagine being in her situation.

Winter showed it's ugly head last night with a whopper of a hail storm. We still have hail on the ground. Luckily, no cars were left out at the time.

Have a great day all,

Jeannie
  • chicletgirl
    Options
    I have a friend who is loosing her home on 10/15 due to the economy and the banking situation. She started out with 2 horses, 5 llamas, 1 turtle, 4 cats and 5 dogs. She is down to 2 cats and 1 dog. She is the one that gave us Blue (our new fat cat). If she can't find homes for them, they will have to go to the pound. Most of our rescue groups are full and can't take the cats. One is 11 and one is five. I am not a cat person, but I will probably come home with 2 more cats and another dog on October 14th. A no kill shelter might take the cats in 2 months. They will let me advertise the dog through them if I keep it and feed it. It is a basset hound/lab cross.

I feel for this lady. She is having to move back to Northern Minnesota and live with her sister and is loosing everything. I feel for the pets.

I can't imagine being in her situation.
    Jeannie

:flowerforyou: Jeannie:flowerforyou:

Two flowers for you.
    You have a big heart and are a good person wanting to help your friend by taking her remaining animals in. The fact that they are the last ones with her is probably because they are the hardest to find a home for. Especially the 11 year old cat. More than likely no one will take a cat that old, although at that age the cat will probably just sleep most of the time and won't be a problem. The dog sounds like cute/unusual mix. Take a good cute picture of it and add it to your ad, maybe you can put them up in local vet offices and pet stores too? That's nice that you have a no kill pound in your area. Wish we did.

I feel for the friend of yours. I have been through the same situation as her due to the economy and a divorce at the same time. I too lost everything I had and am starting over again at age 52. It sucks. The stress that poor woman is going through is bad enough, but to also try to find homes for her beloved pets and good ones at that, must be killing her inside. Your helping her with these last few is so generous of you, and is probably giving her much peace as she knows you will take care of them. I had 2 jack russells with me when I lost everything. I was able to take them with me to an apartment because they were small dogs, thankfully. I just don't know what I would have done if I had to find homes for them. It would have killed something inside of me if I had had to do that. Your friend is very lucky to have you.:smile:

:flowerforyou: Suezzzque

Thank you for sharing your story with me about your mom. Last night as I was writing my frustrations out about mine, half way though it I started feeling guilty about not taking her calls. I am hoping that my mom will get the hint like yours did. I am just tired of her taking advantage of me emotionally. She thinks it is okay to say these rotten things to me and then call back and apologize. The problem is it happens all the time, and is not a once in awhile thing. So the apology means nothing to me. It's her playing games with me., which she has done all her life. This is the reason why she lived with my brother all this time, because they are more alike. She and I clash alot. But now that this neglect has happened I feel I have to step in and help her. But I have to set boundaries down (which I admit is one of my downfalls) or she will try to manipulate me. You would think that as a person gets older they would have learned a couple of things through life on how to become a better person. I have taken so many classes on relationships and on ways to better myself. I have read a ton of books on helping overcoming my demons and I still have so much to learn. I have a hard time understanding how my mom and my brother have just stayed "locked" in the past and refusing to do something about it. They are both very unhappy people, my borther especially. But they refuse to get help to get past it. It would eat me up alive to have that much hatred for so long inside of me. I think that is one of the main reasons I am hesitant about bringing my mom here. Because I have been through so much and it has made me do a lot of soul searching and trying to find peace, I sometimes wonder if having her live with me will drag me under again. Because I have hit rock bottom, and have been desperate at times, my ego or self esteem, whatever you want to call it, is very fragile. I don't want to go there again. It has taken me awhile to get up to this point in my life. I have to try and get my mother to understand why this is important to me.

Chiclet
  • kackie
    Options
    Hello, again!

I also meant to say:

Michelle: I am so sorry about Sadie. I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Marilyn & Jeannie: You are really having some early cold weather! Where do each of you live? Jeannie, we also have good friends and neighbors who are in the process of foreclosure on their home. It breaks my heart. It seems like there should be a better way doesn't it?

Judy Lee: Welcome to a great group! Look forward to hearing from you.

Well...better go back outside. the weeds are calling me....Kackie
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Suezzzque

Thank you for sharing your story with me about your mom. Last night as I was writing my frustrations out about mine, half way though it I started feeling guilty about not taking her calls. I am hoping that my mom will get the hint like yours did. I am just tired of her taking advantage of me emotionally. She thinks it is okay to say these rotten things to me and then call back and apologize. The problem is it happens all the time, and is not a once in awhile thing. So the apology means nothing to me...

My mom NEVER apologized. But she would act better the next time. Chiclet, you are in a tough place. Best to set some ground rules for yourself before you Mom comes and then enforce those boundaries once she does. Also plan to do SOMETHING everyday that feeds your soul. Even if its only something so simple as sitting outdoors in the fresh air. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :flowerforyou:

Hubby went back on days yesterday so this morning I went to church alone. Met him for a quick bite of lunch, hit the grocery store for a few things and then came home and walked the girls. What a beautiful afternoon for it! Fall breezes and a wee bit of sunshine. :wink: I took the ad for Sophie off craigslist. If hubby gets transferred, we'll just have to deal with moving 3 critters; I'm beyond the point of giving her up now.
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    :happy: Chiclet:happy: My profile picture is of Sophie, she belongs to my sister. Buttons is a dog, you can see her in my profile pictures, she is in two, one laying beside Henry, and the other is of her head looking at me. Her allergy is not too bad today, she is bubbling with energy and wants to go outside, but that is out until it snows. We give her now (on the twelveth day) half a pill every other day until they are gone.

:happy: Kackie:happy: I live in Pembroke, Canada It is much better here than in my former city of Belleville, the temps are colder however the air is dryer, thus it is much better for the arthritis. January and February are the worst for wind and damper temps.

Exercises done early today, so I could get all my chores done without forgetting to exercise. Muscles are very sore but that is okay, a hot shower will help that go away. Back to work tomorrow and my lunch is packed, I have to write that down in the journal. Had a sad start today my weight is up another 3 pounds. Hope it gets down soon.

Time for bed soon, 4am comes fast, hard to settle down this early, especially on a day off. Catch all of you tomorrow.

Marilyn
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Jeannie - what a wonderful friend you are to take in your friend's animals. Kudos to you

chicklet - when my father was alive, there were times when he'd call and get on my case about something. There were times when I'd just let him talk but I would hold the phone away from my ear. I knew that he just needed to get something off his chest.

Just went bowling today. Tomorrow I'll do some HIIT.

Right now I'm working on a x-stitch bookmark. My cousin's (in VA) sister (from CA) is coming. Evelyn is going to have a b-day party for her sister. I know that she's going to have a cake, and I don't know what I can take that will travel OK. So I'm making her sister a bookmark. If I get done with this, maybe I'll be able to make some hor's duerves (or however they're spelled) and take them in a cooler. Don't know yet, won't rush on that.

Every year the Newcomers hold a gala, which is really just a fancy "prom". I was on the committee last year and I'm going to try it again this year. Hopefully, I can get some things changed. For one thing, I wanted a survey (I'd made it up) sent to the members asking what they liked, didn't like, what they'd change, etc. Didn't get done. The first year we had it at this place the food was, to my way of thinking, terrible. I was told "no one else said that". I probably wouldn't have either if I hadn't been on the committee. Anyway, the committee has a meeting tomorrow a.m. so that's why I'm going to do some HIIT and then go. Fortunately for me, it's held at this one lady near me's house. Not many Newcomers live near me.

Well...off to watch Desperate Housewives. Everyone, have a great evening.

Michele
  • jam0525
    Options
    Thanks for all the kudos for taking in my friend's pets. I appreciate them Yes, the 11 year old will probably be with us til the end. (the dog too).

SuzyQ - I am glad to hear you are keeping the dog. What's the difference between moving 2 pets or 3 pets anyway? lol That is one lucky dog.

We tried to go to the balloon glow last night and tonight. Both nights got canceled. We did get to see fantastic fireworks and a display called a fire line. They were great, but we are still disappointed about not seeing the glow.

Before you all ask, I will explain. Imagine 500 hot air balloons all filled up but tethered to the ground and them lighting their burners in time to music being blasted from everywhere. The whole field is dark except for the light from the balloon jets. If you get cold you just have to walk up to a balloon and wait a few minutes. Those burners will heat you up when they are turned up.

Have a great evening all,

Jeannie
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Michele - Sorry to hear about Sadie. That is such a hard decision to make but I feel as you do that ending the pain is the compassionate thing to do. We have had to make that hard decision as well. I will be thinking about you tomorrow.

Kackie - We were in Edmonton. Right now we are in Great Falls, MT. We came up through Jasper and Banff on the way to Alaska so we didn't go there on the way back. I agree the area is rather "other worldly". I think the most amazing mountains I have seen this trip are around Valdez, AK - a close second was in the Whittier, AK area. But then again the prettiest ones are usually the ones you are enjoying at the moment! :laugh: This has been an amazing trip but I am ready to be home again.

Hopefully there will no loud people next door tonight. Not fun getting awakened at 3 am by people who have no consideration. :frown: I need more than 4 hours sleep!

Say, anyone know where Mimi is? I didn't get online much at all in AK, so I probably missed hearing why she is among the missing.

Night all.

Faye
    Faye
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Last night Sadie tried to jump up on the bed but couldn't make it. I could see him looking longingly at the bed, so I picked him up. I know Vince was concerned about his ability to jump off, but this being his last night, I felt he should be doing something that made him happy. I'm sure when Vince gets up he'll take Sadie to the litter box.

Jeannie - I was thinking about you and those hot air balloons.

I was wondering about Mimi, too.

Well, going to the Y, then that gala meeting. Depending on how long it takes, I may be able to get a few games of bowling in. I'm taking those brie and peach bites with me to the meeting. The lady whose house it's at has a place in France, and she mentioned how much she likes cheese. Vince won't touch brie. For that matter, he won't touch cheese (I told you he was pickey!).

Michele
  • kackie
    Options
    Mimi, Sister Veggie Queen....WHERE are you? We MISS you!!!
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies, Did not read posts yet. Decided to post first. Oh my 3rd day of month and 3 pages already. I have been under the weather and dragging for days. Kenneth got his colonoscopy done on thurs and everything was fine. I went to dr on Friday with bad sinus infection. got a shot and antibiotics. Not totally up to par but feel much better. Just kind of layed low all weekend working with pictures and on computer. Am going to try really hard to get back a workout today. I go for my cononoscopy on Friday so have to start on Wed with eating light and liquids on thurs. I am hoping this will lose me a few pounds as well as clean me out and get me off of cravings. I am going to go read posts now, so if Ihave time I will respond later. Hope you all are doing well..
    Vicki M
    ps I will change my goals later when I decide what they are.
  • jam0525
    Options
    Oh my Jeannie, when my scales show a weight loss it doesn't occur to me not to count it!

BMCG - Since weight fluctuates so much, many of us wait until we see the loss a few times before updating our tickers. It seems less disappointing that way in the long run.

I'm still seeing a weigh loss this morning, so I updated my ticker.

I will catch up on posts later today.

Have a great Monday everyone,

Jeannie
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot: auntiebk--what exactly is your "pre-breakfast"? Do you do the 1 tsp. of each in water? I've been thinking of trying that for my minor arthritis aches.

Hi Kathy, pre-breakfast is1 TBS of cider vinegar (organic, with the "mother" looks cloudy but has all the goodies it should), 1 TBS of local honey and 1 packet of unflavored Knox gelatine stirred up in about 9 oz of hot water. You could probably get by with less honey, but not me :tongue: Gives a little carb and protein boost to kindle the "fire" and really helps keep the pipes open and ward off colds etc. Have very little arthritis (knees thumbs) so can't tell if its the cider vinegar or the 19 lbs off that is helping there...

Peggy love your story about your brother and belly dancing. 50 situps and 50 twists? WOW you go gal!
    Enjoying the heck out of myself. DH and I DO travel well together and its when we have the best chats and make the best memories (like when I tried to make coffee with the motel hairdrier). Pooches are champion back seat travellers as well.
    Not even logging food, know its off the charts, but... waking up stiff from riding in the car so doing gutt'n'butt EVERY morning so far :laugh:

Michele ditto everything chiclet gal said. AND that Sadie knows you're doing your best for him. When its all over tho you may need to take yourself away from Vince and have a good old fashioned cry. Chiclet's right too about how even when you don't want to be healed, a new pet can heal your heart.

Amanda you continue to amaze, here's hoping that the surgery can be avoided entirely, and if not, that the recovery is swift and complete.

Robin you are the best. Your advice is right on , your honesty and humor lighten my heart and you will dash to back to lead us all (except pre-injury MacMadame) in extreme exercise!

MacMadame, I cannot imagine all you do, even post-injury. Your motivation is a mystery to me. NEVER in my life did I feel I wanted to run a 5-much-less-10 K. I WOULD like to be able to dance as much as Barbie, go on a beginner showshoe excursion without slowing everyone else down... and maybe take a belly dance class too!

Hugs to all

Gutt'n'butt try 11 day 2
  • glyndam
    glyndam Posts: 18
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    My name is Glynda and I am looking for the right group. After reading all the post, I think this would be a great group to join. I am 56 years old, recently retired from working 34 years at a gas utility company. Miss seeing co-workers, who became good friends. I have two adult children and 5 grandchildren. I am married to a wonderful man, Randal, who has three adult children and 6 grandchildren. We consider all the grandchildren OURS.

Like most of you, I have always struggled with my weight. UP, DOWN, UP DOWN! I found this site on my cell phone and really started using it October 1st when I began my Life Change. I'm not dieting ever again. I love the site. So easy!

Look forward to new friends!
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Greetings lovely ladies! I've been tracking , for the most part, but not posting for a week which means I have 100 pages to read to catch up!!!! :laugh: Not going to happen as I'm at work and busy but did want to drop in and say hi!
    I went away on a women's retreat from Friday through Sunday, so got behind in tracking for a few days:ohwell:
    I don't see these women often and some asked about my weight loss:blushing: They were very interested in how I did it, thus MFP became a topic for discussion (in between prayer, of course :wink: ) for part of the retreat! I really DO feel very blessed to have been guided to this website and to have connected with all you wonderful women:love: I prayed for you all, too:blushing: :heart:

September went well, but is challenging as I am not REALLY trying to lose much more weight. I eat a little more, make sure I track it all, exercise and drink plenty of water! I don't know where I am on the scale after this weekend, but I will get weighed on Wed which is my weigh in day. I CAN say that I was careful, and tried to make healthy choices :tongue: HOWEVER....I wasn't able to exercise.:frown: In fact, I haven't exercised since Thurs because my Sciatic nerve has been acting up! This morning I did a shorter and less aggressive routine, so burned only 400 calories instead of 600 and kept the incline to 3 and not 6. So far, so good:happy:

I will try to al least catch up on the new month if I get a chance.:happy: If not, sending warm welcomes to anyone who is new:wink: ....congratulations to those who are doing well.:flowerforyou: ...and big hugs of encouragement for all those who are struggling in one way or another!!!!:love:

BirdieM:heart:
  • jam0525
    Options
    To all my Canadian friends in this forum:

I got bored (very) at work last week waiting for something to finish, so I could move on. I don't know what made me do it, but I went to the internet to see if I could immigrate to Canada. The answer is NO! I have absolutely no job skills that Canada needs. Any way I thought it was very funny and I had fun filling out the questionnaire. It was also interesting.

Thank you all for sharing so much about yourselves. It is so wonderful learning about how our northern neighbors live.

Someday, I hope to visit.

Jeannie