Everything in moderation

Options

Replies

• HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was waiting for someone to come back with this, you didn't disappoint me! :smile:

Just because something hasn't been scientifically proven (yet!) to be true, it doesn't mean it isn't. In the case of sugar addiction, I default to common sense. Besides, as far as the definition of addiction goes, sugar fits in there quite nicely. Just think of kids coming down off a sugar high!

So for me, I'm not going to wait until it's been proven, I'm going to be smart, do my health and well being a favor, and keep it out of my life. There are too many natural whole food "candies" out there to enjoy anyway. :happy:

You're the one saying there are studies about the addictiveness of refined sugar, so could you provide a link to one? Not being snarky, just asking for a link.
    Sure, here are a few:

Sugar can be addictive, Princeton scientist says:
    http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S22/88/56G31/index.xml?section=topstories

Student-faculty research suggests Oreos can be compared to drugs of abuse in lab rats:
    http://www.conncoll.edu/news/news-archive/2013/student-faculty-research-suggests-oreos-can-be-compared-to-drugs-of-abuse-in-lab-rats.htm#.Uz1q8fldWSo

Sugar Highs and Lows: The New Science of Sugar Addiction (this is actually a half-hour lecture):
    http://uctv.ucsd.edu/search-details.aspx?showID=21692
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I was waiting for someone to come back with this, you didn't disappoint me! :smile:

Just because something hasn't been scientifically proven (yet!) to be true, it doesn't mean it isn't. In the case of sugar addiction, I default to common sense. Besides, as far as the definition of addiction goes, sugar fits in there quite nicely. Just think of kids coming down off a sugar high!

So for me, I'm not going to wait until it's been proven, I'm going to be smart, do my health and well being a favor, and keep it out of my life. There are too many natural whole food "candies" out there to enjoy anyway. :happy:

You're the one saying there are studies about the addictiveness of refined sugar, so could you provide a link to one? Not being snarky, just asking for a link.
    Sure, here are a few:

Sugar can be addictive, Princeton scientist says:
    http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S22/88/56G31/index.xml?section=topstories

Student-faculty research suggests Oreos can be compared to drugs of abuse in lab rats:
    http://www.conncoll.edu/news/news-archive/2013/student-faculty-research-suggests-oreos-can-be-compared-to-drugs-of-abuse-in-lab-rats.htm#.Uz1q8fldWSo

Sugar Highs and Lows: The New Science of Sugar Addiction (this is actually a half-hour lecture):
    http://uctv.ucsd.edu/search-details.aspx?showID=21692

Was Homo erectus addicted to honey? Seeing as they had to fight bees and possibly also climb trees to get it, and when they got it they ate all of it. Probably didn't even want to share it.

Seems to me that a strong desire for sweet foods evolved in many animals because the calories from them provide a significant survival advantage. Even if obtaining them meant climbing trees and fighting with bees. Even gorillas, whose main diet is leaves and coarse plant foods, will choose to eat mangoes in preference to leaves, given a choice, and sweeter fruit in preference to less sweet fruit. And zoo apes can get obese eating sweet fruit if they don't get enough exercise due to a lack of mental stimulation from being in a boring environment (zookeepers need to ensure that primates living spaces are big and interesting enough for them to climb around and do stuff, not just sit around eating fruit).

Is this really addiction or is it a natural survival instinct? Sugar is what animal cells need to stay alive after all....
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    For those saying "that's great, but that doesn't work for me because I can't control myself",
    And do you think when eating at at deficit when you're more likely to be suspectible to binge eating is a good time to try and address the issues?
    Might it not be better, say, when you've reached your goal weight and are eating more?
    Refined sugar is also an addictive drug, and numerous studies have proven this to be true.
    Please provide just one that proves it is an addictive drug to humans.
    And we're talking working the same way as an addictive drug, not the same way that people can get addicted to ANYTHING they enjoy.

How does "kids coming down off a sugar high" correspond to a sugar addiction??
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Do the things that make you happy in moderation!
    If you restrict too much, you'll surely fail and binge on what you think is causing the issue.
    If you don't try new things, you'll never know what really works and what doesn't.
    I'ma go ahead and disagree opie, quantity is itself a quality.

I like Doritos. I love Doritos. I think I'm fonder of Doritos than of most people. I'm not fond of Doritos in moderation. I'm not fond of weighing them. I especially hate eating 12 doritos and calling it a treat.

I've tried it, I can do it, got the postcard and the t-shirt. It performs anilingus on simians.

It provides you with a taste of deliciousness, then ends abruptly with no substance to its promise. I won't even dignify it by calling it a tease, it's a taunt and an insult to my masculinity. When I eat Doritos, I'll eat a bag (a big one) washed down by a few beers. I won't do so every day, but every now and again is fine.

I will no more eat Doritos in moderation and call it a treat than I will eat boiled cauliflower and call it steak. They're two sides of the same coin, if you ask me.

But isn't that actually just one way to achieve moderation? You don't eat Doritos everyday, but you don't (apparently) cut them out of your diet completely.

And I don't read these sorts of posts (the OP) as saying you HAVE to eat everything (in moderation). Just that, if you do really love something and chose to eat it occasionally, it is possible to do so without ruining your entire diet. A bag of Doritos/Reeses cup/bowl of ice cream once a week isn't going to kill you, or make you suddenly gain 10 lbs.

Some people think that if they eat ANY of their "forbidden" foods, they have failed. We've all seen the posts "I ate a pizza last night - does this mean I'm doomed?" No, no it doesn't. You don't have to ditch the entire diet because of one meal, even if it put you over your calorie goal for that day (or even week).

This is, as far as I can tell, about long term sustainability. If you are miserable on your diet because you have cut out X and it makes you want to quit, then eat X. Just do it in moderation. Whether that means a few bites every day, or a minor binge once a week/month. Plan for it, log it, look long term. Your diet is about the totality of what you eat, not one single item.

If you are happy with your diet and you can sustain it long term doing whatever you are doing, then good for you! Don't change.

ftr: I do understand that some people need to cut some things out short term in order to "break the cycle". These people need to make sure they do have a plan in place for how they are going to re-introduce those items (if indeed they ever do) back into their regular diet. You can lose weight by going low carb, but you'll gain it all back again if you start back eating huge bowls of pasta everyday once you hit maintenance.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    For those saying "that's great, but that doesn't work for me because I can't control myself",
    And do you think when eating at at deficit when you're more likely to be suspectible to binge eating is a good time to try and address the issues?
    Might it not be better, say, when you've reached your goal weight and are eating more?
    Refined sugar is also an addictive drug, and numerous studies have proven this to be true.
    Please provide just one that proves it is an addictive drug to humans.
    And we're talking working the same way as an addictive drug, not the same way that people can get addicted to ANYTHING they enjoy.

[Just because something hasn't been scientifically proven (yet!) to be true, it doesn't mean it isn't. In the case of sugar addiction, I default to common sense. Besides, as far as the definition of addiction goes, sugar fits in there quite nicely. Just think of kids coming down off a sugar high!

MFP never disappoints...
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Do the things that make you happy in moderation!
    If you restrict too much, you'll surely fail and binge on what you think is causing the issue.
    If you don't try new things, you'll never know what really works and what doesn't.
    I'ma go ahead and disagree opie, quantity is itself a quality.

I like Doritos. I love Doritos. I think I'm fonder of Doritos than of most people. I'm not fond of Doritos in moderation. I'm not fond of weighing them. I especially hate eating 12 doritos and calling it a treat.

I've tried it, I can do it, got the postcard and the t-shirt. It performs anilingus on simians.

It provides you with a taste of deliciousness, then ends abruptly with no substance to its promise. I won't even dignify it by calling it a tease, it's a taunt and an insult to my masculinity. When I eat Doritos, I'll eat a bag (a big one) washed down by a few beers. I won't do so every day, but every now and again is fine.

I will no more eat Doritos in moderation and call it a treat than I will eat boiled cauliflower and call it steak. They're two sides of the same coin, if you ask me.

But isn't that actually just one way to achieve moderation? You don't eat Doritos everyday, but you don't (apparently) cut them out of your diet completely.

And I don't read these sorts of posts (the OP) as saying you HAVE to eat everything (in moderation). Just that, if you do really love something and chose to eat it occasionally, it is possible to do so without ruining your entire diet. A bag of Doritos/Reeses cup/bowl of ice cream once a week isn't going to kill you, or make you suddenly gain 10 lbs.

Some people think that if they eat ANY of their "forbidden" foods, they have failed. We've all seen the posts "I ate a pizza last night - does this mean I'm doomed?" No, no it doesn't. You don't have to ditch the entire diet because of one meal, even if it put you over your calorie goal for that day (or even week).

This is, as far as I can tell, about long term sustainability. If you are miserable on your diet because you have cut out X and it makes you want to quit, then eat X. Just do it in moderation. Whether that means a few bites every day, or a minor binge once a week/month. Plan for it, log it, look long term. Your diet is about the totality of what you eat, not one single item.

If you are happy with your diet and you can sustain it long term doing whatever you are doing, then good for you! Don't change.

ftr: I do understand that some people need to cut some things out short term in order to "break the cycle". These people need to make sure they do have a plan in place for how they are going to re-introduce those items (if indeed they ever do) back into their regular diet. You can lose weight by going low carb, but you'll gain it all back again if you start back eating huge bowls of pasta everyday once you hit maintenance.

^^^^ this

and very well explained
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I love these posts. You must eat EVERYTHING in moderation or you will necessarily fail... oh, you don't enjoy the temptation of having calorie-dense and unsatiating food in your house? Welp, you're going to fail, but moreover you're weak and gluttonous too! Not to mention, if you don't eat these foods on a regular basis, you will have no self control around them! I'm sure people mean well, but the ignorance in these posts is astounding, and to some extent I think these posts are just an excuse for IIFYM advocates to attack people who choose to cut weight without eating certain foods and tell them how wrong they.

Case in point, the folks in my office have an insatiable sweet tooth and our break room at times looks like a dessert buffet with all the things bring in to share. The suggestion that I can't control myself around donuts and other desserts in the break room simply because I don't eat donuts on a regular basis or buy them for my house is a complete fallacy; I carry on conversations with people eating donuts, cake, and a host of other desserts in the breakroom on a daily basis, without partaking of any myself. I'm not miserable or likely to binge, simply because I don't eat a lot of sweets; that may be you, but it's certainly not everyone, and attacking people for disagreeing with such a mindset is just silly. What you buy at the grocery store and stock your pantry with is completely separate from your willpower and your desire to eat certain foods.

That said, I have no problem with an "everything in moderation" approach; just stop pushing it on people and attacking them when they say they choose not to follow it when cutting weight.

if someone can take or leave something but chooses to leave it, then the OP isn't aimed at them

it's aimed at people who tend to binge on certain foods, then respond to that by total abstinence

no-one's shoving anything down anyone's throat, this is an internet forum you can choose which threads to read and not read. but I have been on both sides of the fence in this, i.e. someone who in the past couldn't leave certain foods alone, had to eat the whole pack, overate ridiculously on certain foods..... and I've also learned how not to do that. And having been on both sides of this fence, I like being able to eat what i want in sensible portion sizes without going OTT side of the fence a lot better. My first post on this thread I explained how I did that. and it wasn't abstinence. I post all of this with the intention of possibly helping someone else break out of a cycle of overeating and feeling guilty in response to certain foods, and total abstinence from those foods, and be able to learn how to enjoy those foods without overindulgence or guilt and still hit their calorie targets... I think it would be mean not to share that experience, don't you think?

And I suppose my point is that there are many foods that, if said foods are just lying around, many people will tend to over-consume them; not necessarily in terms of a caloric surplus, but in terms of eating "more than they objectively want to eat" of said food. I personally don't see the harm in avoiding those foods, at least when it comes to having a stockpile of them in your house, and I'm not convinced that's an unhealthy mentality to have.

You don't have to declare a war against those foods and avoid them entirely or avoid them for the rest of your life, but at the same time that doesn't mean you must buy them and consume them regularly. For instance, I tend to over-consume Quest bars if I have a box of them sitting in the pantry. I'll rationalize it by still hitting my macros and calories for the day, but I'll do so through eating multiple Quest bars instead of whole foods, leaving me operating and feeling less than 100%. Have I eliminated Quest bars entirely? No, they're delicious and fit my target macros. Do I buy them and eat them on a regular basis to stave off a binge? No, I don't stock them in the pantry, because I don't want the temptation to use them as meal substitutes. Besides, plenty of things are delicious and my life doesn't revolve around Quest bars. It's just food.

When you say people aren't shoving anything down others throats...
    Thats disordered eating BTW. It's a mentality thing. I found that if I don't have something I enjoy in the house, I think about it all day long. So now, instead of obsessing over Ben and Jerrys but refusing to have it in the house, I have some but only on lift nights. I'll eat a pint within a week. It's my reward system for a day well spent.

Telling someone they have an eating disorder because they choose not to stock Reese's peanut butter cups in their house isn't shoving an "everything in moderation" down people's throats? I don't stock my pantry with candy either, nor do I obsess over it or think about it all day long. If I did stock my pantry with candy, odds are I'd eat more candy on a weekly basis. However, that's not my goal, so I don't stock my pantry with such foods. I'm failing to see where the problem is.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    the concept of EVERYTHING is moderation is a tad ironic no?

also diagnosing people on the forums of having an ED seems irresponsible.
  • Jjnancy70
    Options
    :happy: What you just posted sure does make alot of sense--let's see how I do when I try it--I know I am going to allow myself some goodie at least onnce a week to keep me on the up and up--after all,Rome wasn't built in a day. Jjnancy70
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    the concept of EVERYTHING is moderation is a tad ironic no?

also diagnosing people on the forums of having an ED seems irresponsible.

[I know you're not the only person to comment on this, but you're the most recent so I quoted you.]

Just want to point out here that "having an ED" and "having disordered eating" are NOT the same thing.

Dan suggested that this person has disordered eating thoughts -- NOT the same thing as saying he has an eating disorder. Read the DSM before you try to claim that they're the same.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I love these posts. You must eat EVERYTHING in moderation or you will necessarily fail... oh, you don't enjoy the temptation of having calorie-dense and unsatiating food in your house? Welp, you're going to fail, but moreover you're weak and gluttonous too! Not to mention, if you don't eat these foods on a regular basis, you will have no self control around them! I'm sure people mean well, but the ignorance in these posts is astounding, and to some extent I think these posts are just an excuse for IIFYM advocates to attack people who choose to cut weight without eating certain foods and tell them how wrong they.

Case in point, the folks in my office have an insatiable sweet tooth and our break room at times looks like a dessert buffet with all the things bring in to share. The suggestion that I can't control myself around donuts and other desserts in the break room simply because I don't eat donuts on a regular basis or buy them for my house is a complete fallacy; I carry on conversations with people eating donuts, cake, and a host of other desserts in the breakroom on a daily basis, without partaking of any myself. I'm not miserable or likely to binge, simply because I don't eat a lot of sweets; that may be you, but it's certainly not everyone, and attacking people for disagreeing with such a mindset is just silly. What you buy at the grocery store and stock your pantry with is completely separate from your willpower and your desire to eat certain foods.

That said, I have no problem with an "everything in moderation" approach; just stop pushing it on people and attacking them when they say they choose not to follow it when cutting weight.

if someone can take or leave something but chooses to leave it, then the OP isn't aimed at them

it's aimed at people who tend to binge on certain foods, then respond to that by total abstinence

no-one's shoving anything down anyone's throat, this is an internet forum you can choose which threads to read and not read. but I have been on both sides of the fence in this, i.e. someone who in the past couldn't leave certain foods alone, had to eat the whole pack, overate ridiculously on certain foods..... and I've also learned how not to do that. And having been on both sides of this fence, I like being able to eat what i want in sensible portion sizes without going OTT side of the fence a lot better. My first post on this thread I explained how I did that. and it wasn't abstinence. I post all of this with the intention of possibly helping someone else break out of a cycle of overeating and feeling guilty in response to certain foods, and total abstinence from those foods, and be able to learn how to enjoy those foods without overindulgence or guilt and still hit their calorie targets... I think it would be mean not to share that experience, don't you think?

And I suppose my point is that there are many foods that, if said foods are just lying around, many people will tend to over-consume them; not necessarily in terms of a caloric surplus, but in terms of eating "more than they objectively want to eat" of said food. I personally don't see the harm in avoiding those foods, at least when it comes to having a stockpile of them in your house, and I'm not convinced that's an unhealthy mentality to have.

You don't have to declare a war against those foods and avoid them entirely or avoid them for the rest of your life, but at the same time that doesn't mean you must buy them and consume them regularly. For instance, I tend to over-consume Quest bars if I have a box of them sitting in the pantry. I'll rationalize it by still hitting my macros and calories for the day, but I'll do so through eating multiple Quest bars instead of whole foods, leaving me operating and feeling less than 100%. Have I eliminated Quest bars entirely? No, they're delicious and fit my target macros. Do I buy them and eat them on a regular basis to stave off a binge? No, I don't stock them in the pantry, because I don't want the temptation to use them as meal substitutes. Besides, plenty of things are delicious and my life doesn't revolve around Quest bars. It's just food.

but what you're arguing for is moderation, and what the OP is advising people to do. No-one is saying that you MUST buy any particular food or eat it constantly (or if they are then I missed that post and they're in the minority). The argument is against what i bolded in your post above, i.e. total abstinence for a strongly desired food (which is punctuated by unplanned binge eating), which you said you don't agree with either. What you describe that you're doing IS moderation.

The point is that if someone is really hankering after a particular food, it's better to eat that food and find a way to make it fit in with their eating plan, rather than torturing themselves with abstenence, calling it "crack food" and themselves an addict and then binge eating on it the first time they're in a situation where they can't totally ban it from their environment. My personal experience with foods that I simply could not leave alone, was that to stop thinking of them as forbidden foods and allow myself to eat them when i want took away 95% of the desire to eat them, which is why there's currently half a chocolate bar in my fridge because I only wanted to eat half of it earlier as I'm on a cut, the other half I'll eat tomorrow or maybe this evening if I have spare calories for it AND really fancy eating it as opposed to anything else. In the past, I would have just compulsively eaten the whole chocolate bar because I saw it as forbidden food that was bad and I had to eat it when I got the chance... and trying to abstain from these foods just made the problem worse, not better.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    People tend to get pissed off when they hear they've been depriving themselves for nothing. To them, weight-loss takes a miracle and requires OBSCENE willpower! No one can be thin and not ever go to some extreme (diet, exercise or otherwise).

Yes, most of us got overweight by going crazy and/or being lazy etc, but I'm much happier and almost to where I was at my lowest when I was eating 15g of fat per meal with alli back in 2009. 15g of fat per meal is barely anything.. and I gained it all back when I stopped taking it, so that means it didn't work...

Now I get to have cookies, candy (in fact I was just looking to see if I could budget my kitkat in somewhere), ice cream etc. I may not have QUITE got my macros perfected yet.. but I surely don't feel deprived and thus I don't have "cheat days" or days where I pig out on junk all day because I'm going crazy. I'll never feel horrible for having some of something I like and that is a better feeling.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    People tend to get pissed off when they hear they've been depriving themselves for nothing. To them, weight-loss takes a miracle and requires OBSCENE willpower! No one can be thin and not ever go to some extreme (diet, exercise or otherwise).

Yes, most of us got overweight by going crazy and/or being lazy etc, but I'm much happier and almost to where I was at my lowest when I was eating 15g of fat per meal with alli back in 2009. 15g of fat per meal is barely anything.. and I gained it all back when I stopped taking it, so that means it didn't work...

Now I get to have cookies, candy (in fact I was just looking to see if I could budget my kitkat in somewhere), ice cream etc. I may not have QUITE got my macros perfected yet.. but I surely don't feel deprived and thus I don't have "cheat days" or days where I pig out on junk all day because I'm going crazy. I'll never feel horrible for having some of something I like and that is a better feeling.

me too.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    I think that for some people (maybe not all, so no point in getting all butthurt), they won't allow themselves any "treats" because they are punishing themselves for "being bad" (allowing themselves to gain weight).

When they're able to forgive themselves, they can eat the "forbidden" stuff in moderation.

Just something to ponder.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

When you say people aren't shoving anything down others throats...
    Thats disordered eating BTW. It's a mentality thing. I found that if I don't have something I enjoy in the house, I think about it all day long. So now, instead of obsessing over Ben and Jerrys but refusing to have it in the house, I have some but only on lift nights. I'll eat a pint within a week. It's my reward system for a day well spent.

Telling someone they have an eating disorder because they choose not to stock Reese's peanut butter cups in their house isn't shoving an "everything in moderation" down people's throats? I don't stock my pantry with candy either, nor do I obsess over it or think about it all day long. If I did stock my pantry with candy, odds are I'd eat more candy on a weekly basis. However, that's not my goal, so I don't stock my pantry with such foods. I'm failing to see where the problem is.

Mainly this ^^^^^^ especially the last part (although not sure I would call it an eating disorder).
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    SMH

Now another person new to the forums is going to run to the market and stock up on cookies, icecream, soda and chips, all because they were told they could and SHOULD eat them in moderation.

2 months from now they are going to be just as frustrated as they were the day they started MFP.

Some people have to learn new behaviors and get their weight and body fat down to a point that they understand what will happen to them if they binge and know it is not worth it.

Until that day comes, they need to cut the foods out of their life they are incapable of moderating.

To shame people that can not moderate food is bullying them.......period.........some of us have things we are incapable of moderating, and we have to abstain from them. I have not died yet from not having a drink of alcohol in 6 years or a bag of Costco cashew pumpkin clusters.....cant moderate them....and I am not ashamed of that fact.

Bullying and shaming......a two for one sale on buzz words!

All words in moderation are okay.....THERE ARE NO BAD WORDS! :happy:
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    sugar_demon.gif
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I can think of a few!!! lol
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    All of that sounds lovely and I wish I were able to do it...

There are certain things I just cannot have in my house, ice cream being one of them. I bought frozen yogurt this week and the gallon was gone in 4 days.

Some people are seemingly unable to control themselves when it comes to certain "trigger foods". In theory everything in moderation sounds fabulous, but in practice it's not always best for everyone.

You wouldn't tell an alcoholic to enjoy a couple beers in moderation, would you? I'd hope not...

Rubbish. Alcohol is a drug, an addictive substance, food is not.

Anyone can eat in moderation if you physically serve yourself reasonable portions of food.

Comments like this really irritate me. People with an alcohol addiction, or a drug addiction, receive sympathy and help. People that have an eating disorder such an anorexia or bulimia, receive sympathy and help. Turn that eating disorder round though, and make it someone that has a binge eating disorder, and suddenly that person doesn't deserve sympathy and help. In too many cases, they are just labelled as greedy or lacking self-control.

As someone that suffers from binge eating, I can't have certain foods in the house. Sometimes the whole 'eat it in moderation' thing works, but sometimes it doesn't. And if I do have a bit of an emotional munch, having the stuff readily available in the house is not good. Having to physically drive to the supermarket to buy things for my binge gives me a chance to put that in perspective.

To the OP; demonizing food on this forum is a problem, but so is the 'this is what works for me and so you should all do it' approach that so many here seem to have. You included.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    SMH

Now another person new to the forums is going to run to the market and stock up on cookies, icecream, soda and chips, all because they were told they could and SHOULD eat them in moderation.

2 months from now they are going to be just as frustrated as they were the day they started MFP.

Some people have to learn new behaviors and get their weight and body fat down to a point that they understand what will happen to them if they binge and know it is not worth it.

Until that day comes, they need to cut the foods out of their life they are incapable of moderating.

To shame people that can not moderate food is bullying them.......period.........some of us have things we are incapable of moderating, and we have to abstain from them. I have not died yet from not having a drink of alcohol in 6 years or a bag of Costco cashew pumpkin clusters.....cant moderate them....and I am not ashamed of that fact.

Bullying and shaming......a two for one sale on buzz words!

Are you "moderation-shaming"?