Everything in moderation

Options

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    If you know someone who says "I can't eat XYZ food because I cannot control myself when I eat it." They need to add this food to their week.

Why?

Because if you believe the 1 food you love so much is making you fat because you binge eat it, that's because you're trying to completely eliminate it. Eat the ****ing food and enjoy it in moderation! Fit it into your macros! The psychological anguish you have thinking about this food you love is far far worse than simply having a serving of it every few nights. Especially on lifting days. :)

This type of mentality should be used in just about everything you do!
    Except of course the love you have for your family and friends! ;D

Seriously though.
    All over this forum I see people demonizing food and activities.
    Sugar causes diabetes so I cannot have any sugar at all.
    Saturated fat causes heart disease so I cannot have saturated fat at all.
    When I go bowling, I drink beer. I cannot bowl ever again.
    Paleo is the only way to live.
    Ketogenic diets are the only diets that work.
    Strong Lifts 5x5 is the only way to lift weights.
    Calisthenics rule and if you want to be lean, only do calisthenics.

All of that is total Bull****!

Do the things that make you happy in moderation!
    If you restrict too much, you'll surely fail and binge on what you think is causing the issue.
    If you don't try new things, you'll never know what really works and what doesn't.

Relax and live!

OMG totally. I love your post. Thank you. I mean Jeez, it's not like cake is herion and you have to eat it or you go through serious withdrawal. AND DON'T ANYBODY say it is because I will punch you! Food is NOT like narcotics.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Helloitsdan, I can't agree. I think there are things you can buy to eat that have no business in your home, much less in your body. They might be "tasty", but they don't contribute anything positive to the body at all. Examples - gummy candies (most candy), Twinkie-type snacks. There's no reason other than taste to put these things into the body, ever. (and yes - I enjoy a tasty, empty-calorie treat as much as anybody, but I'm not buying them anymore)

So if I've just finished lifting weights and I slug my protein, what harm would a Twinkie have?
    Physiologically what happens to the Twinkie?
    Please explain.
    Or instead see me as my former fat self and I've just finished lifting weights and I eat a Twinkie, what happens physiologically when I metabolize the Twinkie?

Most peoe are missing the point. Its not about the food.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think that for some people (maybe not all, so no point in getting all butthurt), they won't allow themselves any "treats" because they are punishing themselves for "being bad" (allowing themselves to gain weight).

When they're able to forgive themselves, they can eat the "forbidden" stuff in moderation.

Just something to ponder.

^^^^ bumping because Dame Piglet said what I've been trying to say all along just much more succinctly

when I abandoned the "forbidden foods"/mustn't eat this mentality, I suddenly could eat a whole bunch of foods in moderation that I compusively overate on previously.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    All of that sounds lovely and I wish I were able to do it...

There are certain things I just cannot have in my house, ice cream being one of them. I bought frozen yogurt this week and the gallon was gone in 4 days.

Some people are seemingly unable to control themselves when it comes to certain "trigger foods". In theory everything in moderation sounds fabulous, but in practice it's not always best for everyone.

You wouldn't tell an alcoholic to enjoy a couple beers in moderation, would you? I'd hope not...

alcohol is an addictive drug which causes physiological changes in the body that leads to physiological dependence

food is something that's supposed to be in your body because that's how animals evolved

not the same

WORD!!! DO NOT use alcohol or drugs as a comparision. I HATE when people do that.

And by the way I notice the words "I can't" being used. Replace it with "I won't" because we CAN stop if we want to. I don't care how many feathers I ruffle. It's frugging true and we all know it.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

There are certain things I just cannot have in my house, ice cream being one of them. I bought frozen yogurt this week and the gallon was gone in 4 days.

Some people are seemingly unable to control themselves when it comes to certain "trigger foods". In theory everything in moderation sounds fabulous, but in practice it's not always best for everyone.

You wouldn't tell an alcoholic to enjoy a couple beers in moderation, would you? I'd hope not...

alcohol is an addictive drug which causes physiological changes in the body that leads to physiological dependence

food is something that's supposed to be in your body because that's how animals evolved

not the same

WORD!!! DO NOT use alcohol or drugs as a comparision. I HATE when people do that.

And by the way I notice the words "I can't" being used. Replace it with "I won't" because we CAN stop if we want to. I don't care how many feathers I ruffle. It's frugging true and we all know it.

then how do you explain this?
    iStock_000008790029XSmall.jpg
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Helloitsdan, I can't agree. I think there are things you can buy to eat that have no business in your home, much less in your body. They might be "tasty", but they don't contribute anything positive to the body at all. Examples - gummy candies (most candy), Twinkie-type snacks. There's no reason other than taste to put these things into the body, ever. (and yes - I enjoy a tasty, empty-calorie treat as much as anybody, but I'm not buying them anymore)

So if I've just finished lifting weights and I slug my protein, what harm would a Twinkie have?
    Physiologically what happens to the Twinkie?
    Please explain.
    Or instead see me as my former fat self and I've just finished lifting weights and I eat a Twinkie, what happens physiologically when I metabolize the Twinkie?

Most peoe are missing the point. Its not about the food.

Seriously, it's not about the food. Because, on another note, guess what folks, drug addiction is not about the drug. Those of you IN THE KNOW, know this is true. It's about the feelings we are trying to bury with the food and drugs.
  • roosevelt
    roosevelt Posts: 10
    Options
    I have to totally agree with tennisdude2004's post:

"What may be addictive to one person may not be to another. Hence why most of the population can function normally whilst including alcohol into their lives and others cannot.

Seems a bit strange that we cannot accept that food can be addictive."

There is lots of research on food addiction from reputable sources on the internet that addresses just this issue. Some people are able to keep a pint of vodka, for example, in their liquor cabinet and are able to have a drink or two periodically and not consume the entire bottle in one sitting just as some people are able to have a bag of Reese's peanut butter cups in their pantry and only consume one and not feel compelled to eat the entire bag in one sitting. Personally (and this is just my opinion), both of these things equate to an addiction.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    If you know someone who says "I can't eat XYZ food because I cannot control myself when I eat it." They need to add this food to their week.
    This is exactly what I've been doing for the last week. Ice cream is one of my weaknesses. I never stopped eating it, but I haven't bought a tub for months because I didn't want to keep it in my freezer. I just went out and get a single serving at my favourite ice-cream parlour once in a while. Last week I bought a 500g tub as a moderation exercise. It worked! It lasted a whole week. :laugh: I ate a portion every day, which is kind of a huge accomplishment for me. Next step: cookies! Now, that will be hard. :laugh:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Why?

Because if you believe the 1 food you love so much is making you fat because you binge eat it, that's because you're trying to completely eliminate it. Eat the ****ing food and enjoy it in moderation! Fit it into your macros! The psychological anguish you have thinking about this food you love is far far worse than simply having a serving of it every few nights. Especially on lifting days. :)

This type of mentality should be used in just about everything you do!
    Except of course the love you have for your family and friends! ;D

Seriously though.
    All over this forum I see people demonizing food and activities.
    Sugar causes diabetes so I cannot have any sugar at all.
    Saturated fat causes heart disease so I cannot have saturated fat at all.
    When I go bowling, I drink beer. I cannot bowl ever again.
    Paleo is the only way to live.
    Ketogenic diets are the only diets that work.
    Strong Lifts 5x5 is the only way to lift weights.
    Calisthenics rule and if you want to be lean, only do calisthenics.
    the ONLY answer is eat what you want but in moderation

All of that is total Bull****!

If you restrict too much, you'll surely fail and binge on what you think is causing the issue.
    If you don't try new things, you'll never know what really works and what doesn't.

Relax and live!

OMG totally. I love your post. Thank you. I mean Jeez, it's not like cake is herion and you have to eat it or you go through serious withdrawal. AND DON'T ANYBODY say it is because I will punch you! Food is NOT like narcotics.

I think they missed one out.

The problem with the OP's thread is the assumption that just because someone chooses (as an adult) to cut a certain food out of their diet, they are depriving themselves!! and making their life miserable! says who?

My personal experience of cutting out food I thought I enjoyed (but wasn't the best choice for me personal) was when I changed my eating style I actually preferred my new diet and no longer craved the higher - less nutritional food.

I think the solution would be for everyone to stop judging situations by their own personal views and have broader mind sets.

Just because something does not work for me I do not naturally assume that it will not work for everyone else and vice versa.

Are certain foods an addiction to me - No. Are certain foods an addiction to others - very likely.

Not everyone has the mind set to eat a calorie restricted diet (of everything in moderation) and to assume they can is a bit naïve.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    OK moderation does not mean keeping the food in your house people. I can't have Vienna fingers in my house as I will just eat the entire thing. However, if I want and I see a single serving package, I can have that. It won't make me pig out because one day I had these cookies.

Everything in moderation means, its OK to have desert once in a while.
    Sugar in your coffee will not kill you!
    Having a chocolate pudding for desert will not derail a diet.
    One chocolate bar will not make you fat.

Weight watchers has been successful for 40 years or so with this simple approach. They are the long lasting diet plan out there. Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig give you the food, but the same concept applies, they have puddings and deserts and pizza. You don't need to demonize food, but you do need to balance what you eat. Balance in diet and life is how you get healthy.

FYI, most of the diets that people swear by are fad diets. At one point Atkins was all the rage, don't hear too much about that anymore. My mom did a very very low fat diet and started losing her hair. Grapefruit diet was the best ever 20 years ago, where did that go? Extreme diets are fads. I am not saying that eating Raw is not healthy, choosing a to be a vegetarian or vegan is healthy, making a choice to eliminate processed foods is healthy too.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I totally diagree with everyone.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I was waiting for someone to come back with this, you didn't disappoint me! :smile:

Just because something hasn't been scientifically proven (yet!) to be true, it doesn't mean it isn't. In the case of sugar addiction, I default to common sense. Besides, as far as the definition of addiction goes, sugar fits in there quite nicely. Just think of kids coming down off a sugar high!

So for me, I'm not going to wait until it's been proven, I'm going to be smart, do my health and well being a favor, and keep it out of my life. There are too many natural whole food "candies" out there to enjoy anyway. :happy:

You're the one saying there are studies about the addictiveness of refined sugar, so could you provide a link to one? Not being snarky, just asking for a link.
    Sure, here are a few:

Sugar can be addictive, Princeton scientist says:
    http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S22/88/56G31/index.xml?section=topstories

Student-faculty research suggests Oreos can be compared to drugs of abuse in lab rats:
    http://www.conncoll.edu/news/news-archive/2013/student-faculty-research-suggests-oreos-can-be-compared-to-drugs-of-abuse-in-lab-rats.htm#.Uz1q8fldWSo

Sugar Highs and Lows: The New Science of Sugar Addiction (this is actually a half-hour lecture):
    http://uctv.ucsd.edu/search-details.aspx?showID=21692

Well, if I had to choose between sugar and using coke I would say that it's A WHOLE LOT EASIER to stop eating sugar. So there.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I agree. For those who said "oh I disagree 1000% because no matter what I can't have this around or I will immediately downward spiral into binging in getting fat again"... obviously... you're not ready. At some point in your life, there's gonna be a reese's cup... or a bag of chips... or an opportunity to drink beer. You have to change your MIND to allow yourself to have 1 reese cup... or 1 portion of ice cream... and that's all. It takes time... sure... but there is nothing stopping you from buying that bag of chips... so if you say "I give it up forever" you are SOOO lying to yourself... because on a bad day... you're going to go buy that bag of chips... and eat the whole thing.... and feel bad. Whereas, if you had allowed yourself to have a few chips here and there... that wouldn't be a trigger anymore because it wouldn't be "forbidden". See how that works?
  • ValGogo
    Options
    People tend to get pissed off when they hear they've been depriving themselves for nothing. To them, weight-loss takes a miracle and requires OBSCENE willpower! No one can be thin and not ever go to some extreme (diet, exercise or otherwise).

Brilliant and well put. Kudos, Red!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Rubbish. Alcohol is a drug, an addictive substance, food is not.

Anyone can eat in moderation if you physically serve yourself reasonable portions of food.

Comments like this really irritate me. People with an alcohol addiction, or a drug addiction, receive sympathy and help. People that have an eating disorder such an anorexia or bulimia, receive sympathy and help. Turn that eating disorder round though, and make it someone that has a binge eating disorder, and suddenly that person doesn't deserve sympathy and help. In too many cases, they are just labelled as greedy or lacking self-control.

As someone that suffers from binge eating, I can't have certain foods in the house. Sometimes the whole 'eat it in moderation' thing works, but sometimes it doesn't. And if I do have a bit of an emotional munch, having the stuff readily available in the house is not good. Having to physically drive to the supermarket to buy things for my binge gives me a chance to put that in perspective.

To the OP; demonizing food on this forum is a problem, but so is the 'this is what works for me and so you should all do it' approach that so many here seem to have. You included.

If food weren't an issue, groups like Overeater's Anonymous wouldn't exist. Binge Eating Disorder is an actual eating disorder and it's in the DSM and probably the ICD. It's a real issue and I understand why you are offended.

I've had eating disorders from anorexia, to bulimia to overeating. I know what you're talking about and I can see that the ignorance on the topic can be infuriating.

However, some people just aren't educated on the matter, and that isn't their fault. Some people don't believe any mental illness exists; those people are also infuriating, but there is no arguing with them.

I can't keep problem foods around either. If I become depressed, the only thing that makes me happy is food and no, I DON'T have control over it. I also have recurring episodes of depression so it's an issue.

So I understand "no moderation" on certain foods. I do that as well! I don't know if I'll ever eat french fries again. If that's what it takes to keep me at a healthy weight, that's what I'll do!

I'm glad it works for some people! That's fantastic. But there literally are people that CAN NOT do this without going overboard. If they could, they wouldn't have a diagnosable mental illness.

/rant.

No one, in this entire thread, has denied that eating disorders exist. There was a mild dust-up regarding 'disordered eating' vs an 'eating disorder'. No need to blow it out of proportion or get personally offended by it.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    n50000b9437662.jpg

Woo hoo!!!!! YEAH!!!!!
  • 1daylate1dollarshort
    Options
    I want to cut things out of my diet and add different things to my diet. A lot of people do this and sustain it. Being told that this method leads to certain failure is just ridiculous.

I'm not going to sit around telling all the people who eat whatever they want in moderation to stop or they're going to fail for sure. What they do is their business and that is what works for them. It wouldn't for me and it never has, as many times as I've tried. And that is okay. And it's good if it works for you. Whatever works to get the weight off, keep it off and be happy. It's not unhealthy to switch to lower calorie stuff and fruits and veggies. Especially if we're comfortable and like the change.

I feel like some people are literally trying to rub it in the faces of the people that DO cut out certain foods or laugh at people who do this. What's that about? I'm happy with your diet if you're happy with it! Be happy for the other people doing this and being healthy and having success. Don't tell them they are doomed. That's not kind and in no way is it a fact.

I shouldn't knock certain foods and I don't. I don't get why knocking an entire food plan is okay. It's actually exactly the same but in reverse.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

not the same

I don't know if I should even bother responding, because wow... but here goes nothing.

Food addiction -- Compulsive overeating, also sometimes called food addiction, is characterized by the compulsive eating of food. Professionals address this with either a behavior therapy model or a food-addiction model.

And I highly doubt our ancestors ate twinkies and potato chips to "evolve" as you put it. The high salt, high sugar foods of today are an overload to our systems and have been PROVEN to release pleasure neurotransmitters in our brain.

Did you miss the bit earlier in the thread where I said I used to have the same food addiction that you describe? I originally posted on this thread to describe my experiences and how I overcame them, with a view to hopefully helping others do the same thing.

and there are two types of addiction. psychological and physiological. pretty much anything can cause psychological addiction, and the answer isn't always total abstinence. physiological addiction actually changes how your body works, and going cold turkey from alcoholism can actually kill the person, as in the withrawal from alcohol can cause fits severe enough to kill the person. Is that remotely similar to someone who can't stop playing video games or can't stop using pornography or can't stop eating jaffa cakes? No.

also, I don't know why you took my post as "wow" because I didn't say anything unkind or anything untrue. I'm not going to start putting any psychological addiction in the same category as physiological addiction like alcohol or heroin, because they're not the same thing at all.

Also, when I was a kid I was addicted to a particular computer game. I have managed to overcome that psychological addiction without giving up computer games for the rest of my life, i can do computer/smartphone games in moderation these days. Even candy crush. Psychological addictions don't have to mean abstinence for the rest of your life, and the attempt at abstinence may even be counterproductive long term. Learning how to enjoy life's pleasures, especially food and sex, without harming yourself in the process (i.e. avoiding obesity, nutritional deficiency, STDs and unwanted pregnancy) is a really important life skill.

And as for evolution and the release of neurotransmitters in the brain in response to eating food, YES this happens with natural foods that our ancestors would have eaten, like fruit and honey. Because it's normal human physiology. And you get them in response to sex, playing sport and all kinds of other pleasurable activities. Why? Because Homo erectus didn't have enough frontal lobe to realise that having sex, hunting animals for sport and eating foods that have lots of calories are important things to do to stay alive and keep the species growing, so those who found those activities pleasurable because they released certain neurotransmitters into the brain survived better and left their genes in the population, and so their descendents, Homo sapiens, also find these activities pleasurable and have the same neurotransmitter responses in their brain. So to sum up, the reason why people like sweet tasting foods and find it hard to eat them in moderation is because the Homo erectus people who liked to eat ALL the honey and all the sweet tasting fruits when he or she could get them won at natural selection.

quoting for emphasis.

I think the point that is being missed in this highlighted statement is the assumption that everyone thinks and reacts to mental stimuli (if that is the correct term) the same.

What maybe addictive for one person may not be for another. Hence why most of the population can function normally whilst including alcohol into the lives and others cannot.

Seems a bit strange that we cannot accept that food can be addictive!

I thought the 'A' word was one of the words we were going to try and eliminate from MFP.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've been addicited to cocaine and I've also had bulimia. I found the cocaine addiction much easier to kick than the binge eating.

Everyone is different. Moderation works for some people, it does not work for others. It is easy to make judgement on other people based on your own experience, even when you think you are being helpful or openminded.

One of the ways I avoid relapsing into bulimia is by not eating certain foods. And no I don't feel deprived. Moderation does not work for me with these foods. I only feel deprived if I try moderation. This is me. I know myself very well.

Moderation is deprivation. You are saying to your brain "look here is a tiny bit of hyper-palatable food.... you can have this tiny bit but no more... " - for me the fact that the deprivation ("no more") bit comes AFTER the taste (reminder, trigger, whatever) of highly palatable food makes it harder to deal with, hence feeling less deprived when I cut these things out of my diet entirely. I only crave these things if I have them. And if I have a little I crave more and more and more and more.... But if I don't eat it at all I just forget about it, I don't crave it at all.

This is ME. Other people may find moderation works better for them. But please don't assume that because it works for you you have found the one true path.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'ma go ahead and disagree opie, quantity is itself a quality.

(snippity)

When I eat Doritos, I'll eat a bag (a big one) washed down by a few beers. I won't do so every day, but every now and again is fine.
    But isn't that actually just one way to achieve moderation? You don't eat Doritos everyday, but you don't (apparently) cut them out of your diet completely.

(snippity)

If you are happy with your diet and you can sustain it long term doing whatever you are doing, then good for you! Don't change.
    It is one way to achieve moderation, but it's not what the OP was talking about.

For instance, I don't keep Doritos at home; nor do I make any effort to fit a family-sized bag of Doritos into my macros and have no intention of doing so in the future.

As a result, while I love flexible dieting, I have adopted some habits from restrictive dieting (cheat days, restricting access, etc...) since it's pretty much the only way I can eat my Doritos and enjoy them too.

I totally support your second statement though. In fact, I think a lot of the drama and acrimony on this forum would go away if people accepted that they are not the collective consciousness of the human race and as such should never speak for anyone but themselves.
    I've tried it, I can do it, got the postcard and the t-shirt. It performs anilingus on simians.
    How do I meet this "moderation" you speak of?
    He's a friend of the OP's