Vegetarians found more unhealthy. Interesting article.

Options

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Just one study, ya'll. Let's not get crazy.

Also, they don't factor in genetics to this.

But I will say that I found it most interesting about Mental Health. My sister was diagnosed bipolar & she was told to basically eat clean.
  • ms_nomered
    Options
    If you read the fine print under the graph in the article, it states these numbers are "probability values"

Also, if you read the full sample study it says only 0.2% of the interviewees were pure vegetarians.

Most of the data I have read regarding vegetarianism states the opposite; that a well balanced vegetarian diet provides ample health benefits. The key words are well-balanced, it has to be done right.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This article is interesting because there ARE vegetarians out there who just take meat out of their diet, but never replace those lost nutrients with other sources and then eventually face health problems. It should never be able excluding, but replacement. A lot of people fail to realize this when they jump into vegetarianism.

However, health issues really depend on the INDIVIDUAL diet of each person, vegetarian or not. For example, you can have people who eat meat and are very healthy, and pay attention to proper nutrition. They may eat mostly meats, eggs, fruit, veggies, whole grains, etc, and maybe some processed foods or junk food in moderation (for those who follow IIFYM). Then on the flip side you can have other people who also eat meat that have very poor diets that are low in nutrition. Obviously both groups of people eat meat, but both are not equal, just like vegetarians aren't. It's about their diet as a whole and people's diets vary so greatly.

My point is that the exact same thing goes for any other group of people (such a vegetarians). There's always two sides; the people who are conscious of getting sufficient nutrients, and those who are not.

The American Dietetic Association recognizes vegetarian diets as nutritionally sound when they are properly balanced. "It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases." The key words are "appropriately planned" though. Many fail to do this, making it more likely to seem unhealthy to outsiders.

Oh well, live and let live. :)
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    what about vegans?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Science FTW
    [img][/img]nigellagillian.jpg
    Really?
    nigellalawson1.jpg

Two can play that game...
    71yearoldvegan.jpg
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Science FTW
    [img][/img]nigellagillian.jpg
    Really?
    nigellalawson1.jpg

Two can play that game...
    71yearoldvegan.jpg
    yep two can play
    EDITED
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you read the fine print under the graph in the article, it states these numbers are "probability values"

Also, if you read the full sample study it says only 0.2% of the interviewees were pure vegetarians.

Most of the data I have read regarding vegetarianism states the opposite; that a well balanced vegetarian diet provides ample health benefits. The key words are well-balanced, it has to be done right.

0.2% of the 15,000+ interviewees were pure vegetarians, which is the pool they based their sample size on. All of the 330 vegetarians in the actual study ate vegetarian...but there is no indication or tracking of how long they were vegetarians and whether they were in good health before switching to vegetarian. Interesting information but seems to be more correlation than causation data.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Yeah now that I read the full study...seems to not be real good data.

I still like bacon.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    You know.....I try to be informed. I don't too much about too much, but I always had this feeling that milk is not really good for us. I don't know why....maybe it's the hormones, maybe it's because as babies we stop drinking our mom's milk and shouldn't be drinking some other "mom's" milk. Granted I love cheese but I DO see how dairy affects my body when I ingest it, specifically digestion.

I was thinking about vegetarianism as a way of avoiding the bad stuff that is in the meat (placed there by mass manufacturing). I'm not a vegetarian, but I've considered it. However, I don't generally eat a lot of flesh these days because of money but I like a piece of steak once in a while or some grilled chicken breast or a nice baked thigh. I love eggs.

don't know where I'm going with this; just some stream-of-consciousness stuff, I guess.
  • eric_sg61
    Options

I understand that there is a disagreement here, but this is just being a bully.
    How so? When vegans preach about everyone dying of cancer and crap becuase they eat meat and dairy isn't?
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options

How so? When vegans preach about everyone dying of cancer and crap becuase they eat meat and dairy isn't?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There are advocates on this site for every diet, some more extreme then others. But using your own picture to body shame someone is just wrong, under any circumstance.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That is interesting. The comments as much as the article itself. Apparently the same authors released another study using the same data but with what appear to be conflicting results.

http://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00508-013-0483-3/fulltext.html

A commenter pointed this out and questioned it. Below is a comment from one of the authors when asked "What would you want people to take away from both papers in total?"
    In our opinion, it seems not far to seek that persons with worse health consume a vegetarian diet because they try to develop a better health and eating behavior, and not the opposite, that a certain diet (vegetarian) leads to worse health. We therefore state in our discussion that we can neither say anything about causes or effects, nor about long-term consequences. Moreover, we say that further studies are needed to analyze nutritional habits and their association with health.

I actually found the data on quality of life from the first study very interesting. Apparently those eating a carnivorous diet less rich in meat reported the lowest.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You have obviously had success in bodybuilding, and i commend you. If you are posting this picture saying that i need to lift more, than the point is taken, and i agree. I wonder how far you can ride a bike in a day?

When i talk about the link between cancer and poor diet, that has nothing to do with body composition or endurance, though. That has everything to do with nutrition.
  • eric_sg61
    Options

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There are advocates on this site for every diet, some more extreme then others. But using your own picture to body shame someone is just wrong, under any circumstance.
    I edited it..........I didn't see it as body shaming.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Just one study, ya'll. Let's not get crazy.

Also, they don't factor in genetics to this.

But I will say that I found it most interesting about Mental Health. My sister was diagnosed bipolar & she was told to basically eat clean.

While some people with mild forms of a specific diagnosis can improve symptoms with dietary changes and other lifestyle changes (increased exercise), many times those changes will not help someone with a more severe diagnosis. (think situational depression versus schizophrenia) I just wanted to point that out because many times people will be given the false hope of making dietary changes and expecting symptoms to disappear, when medication is sometimes truly needed for a person to see a decrease in symptoms.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Give it time. If you came to MFP to pick on those who are earlier on their journey than you, you probably ought to find a new site. This was me 2 years before that bike photo was taken, when i ate plenty of animal protein. ryankentucky-1.jpg

I'll bite......

So it was all the animal proteins fault?
  • eric_sg61
    Options
    You have obviously had success in bodybuilding, and i commend you. If you are posting this picture saying that i need to lift more, than the point is taken, and i agree. I wonder how far you can ride a bike in a day?

When i talk about the link between cancer and poor diet, that has nothing to do with body composition or endurance, though. That has everything to do with nutrition.
    I apologize..........i didn't put it up to body shame.........just to illustrate that the way I eat is not detrimental or unhealthy. You have made incredible progess and should be proud, not everyone can make that kind of progress.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options

I apologize..........i didn't put it up to body shame.........just to illustrate that the way I eat is not detrimental or unhealthy. You have made incredible progess and should be proud, not everyone can make that kind of progress.

This makes me happy! Everyone should eat the diet that works for them, and we should leave it at that.
  • Health_Temple
    Options
    Interesting how one article
    Can fuel a fire
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Give it time. If you came to MFP to pick on those who are earlier on their journey than you, you probably ought to find a new site. This was me 2 years before that bike photo was taken, when i ate plenty of animal protein. ryankentucky-1.jpg

I want to lighten the mood and point out that you are sitting next to Colonel Sanders?! Maybe it has just been a long day at work...but that makes me laugh!