Vegetarians found more unhealthy. Interesting article.

Options

Replies

• hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Anecdotal.....but when I became vegetarian I had to try A LOT of things to prevent boredom. I had to try new vegetables, new beans, crazy sounding recipes, different ethnic restaurants so I could actually eat out and not just have a salad. I'd say I eat a far more varied and balanced diet now than when I ate meat. And I was fairly healthy, lots of lean meats, whole grains, and vegetable stir fries and such. Even before I joined MFP to focus on weight loss, I was hitting the 46g protein recommendation for maintenance of a female with the beans and veggie intake. I did know a girl in high school that was vegetarian who just ate pasta and Taco Bell every day. You're going to find a lot of variation between individuals, whatever the diet restrictions they adopt.

I wish vegetarians could talk to omnivores without either side getting SUPER defensive :-(
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A study comparing 330 vegetarians doesn't really prove anything especially considering that it goes against the majority of other studies (most of them far more expansive) that have been done.

Just because they are Vegetarians does not mean that their diet is the reason for these results. Without far more expansive research you cannot conclude anything or extrapolate it to the general population. One limited study proves nothing I'm afraid
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    How so? When vegans preach about everyone dying of cancer and crap becuase they eat meat and dairy isn't?
    You have obviously had success in bodybuilding, and i commend you. If you are posting this picture saying that i need to lift more, than the point is taken, and i agree. I wonder how far you can ride a bike in a day?

When i talk about the link between cancer and poor diet, that has nothing to do with body composition or endurance, though. That has everything to do with nutrition.
    I apologize..........i didn't put it up to body shame.........just to illustrate that the way I eat is not detrimental or unhealthy. You have made incredible progess and should be proud, not everyone can make that kind of progress.
    Thank you. I see your point. You certainly look healthy. Many on this site have tried to use the fact that i am not built as an excuse that my diet is lacking something. The reason i am not built is because i did not put in the work. You didn't develop pecs like that without a push up or two in your past somewhere. My quads look pretty neat, though. People can stack on muscle with no animal products in the diet, if they put in the work at the gym, and pay attention to get the plants with the most protein.
    JimMorrisVegan3.jpg

veganbodybuilder.jpg
    Also check out Robert Cheeke.

Sorry if i seem judgemental. I was a meat eater a lot longer than i was a vegan, and i don't mean to come off judgey.
    nonveganbigbird.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How so? When vegans preach about everyone dying of cancer and crap becuase they eat meat and dairy isn't?
    You have obviously had success in bodybuilding, and i commend you. If you are posting this picture saying that i need to lift more, than the point is taken, and i agree. I wonder how far you can ride a bike in a day?

When i talk about the link between cancer and poor diet, that has nothing to do with body composition or endurance, though. That has everything to do with nutrition.
    I apologize..........i didn't put it up to body shame.........just to illustrate that the way I eat is not detrimental or unhealthy. You have made incredible progess and should be proud, not everyone can make that kind of progress.

You can't tell if a person is heatlhy by looking at them. I'm not saying your are not heatlhy, just that your picture is not proof that you are.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    I want to lighten the mood and point out that you are sitting next to Colonel Sanders?! Maybe it has just been a long day at work...but that makes me laugh!
    That's at the original Kentucky Fried Chicken in Corbin, KY.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    The newfound civility in this thread is melting my brain, I signed up for a bloodbath and it's turned into a romantic comedy. I don't know weather to be proud, or scream and demand my money back.

Rigger
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I got all my health problems as a meat/dairy etc eater.
    Lost about 30kg on a vegetarian, then vegan diet.
    Have had no problems with my health since, have a lot better skin, my hair is shiny..
    And im just an a lot happier person.
  • GatorUA
    GatorUA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There are many more university and hospital studies that say the opposite. Plus, you have to find out who funds that magazine and who funds the person or organization that wrote the article. There's a lot of money spent every DAY by the cattle and dairy industries to discredit people who promote not eating their products. It usually comes down to economics. And big corporate concerns don't want you messing with their profit whether it's animal products or other consumer goods.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'm in :drinker:
  • Rocbola
    Options
    The newfound civility in this thread is melting my brain, I signed up for a bloodbath and it's turned into a romantic comedy. I don't know weather to be proud, or scream and demand my money back.

Rigger
    Sorry. Your refund has been sent.
  • jmv7117
    Options
    Science FTW
    [img][/img]nigellagillian.jpg

I'll bet Nigella uses a lot of sunblock that keeps her skin looking younger and healthier.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Rigger
    Sorry. Your refund has been sent.

Lol, that's okay, I think I'm still getting my moneys worth.

Rigger
  • jmv7117
    Options

I do find it weird that the article referred to vegetarianism as a "fad"...I don't think it classifies as a fad. I know people who have been vegetarian for 20, 30 years.

My 3rd GG was vegetarian in the early 1900's so I wouldn't consider that style of eating a fad.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I would like to see more research on the subject -- I was aware of the higher correlation of mental disease and vegetarianism (which IMO probably is due to the reduced animal fat content), but things like cancer rates do surprise me.

Rocbola; nobody here refutes the ability to build muscle as a vegan (as far as I know), but it does make it significantly harder and the pics you put up are pretty much testament to that; those bodybuilders are not really all that muscular, but very lean. (also this is not an attack on you -- just a statement and observation)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    There are many more university and hospital studies that say the opposite. Plus, you have to find out who funds that magazine and who funds the person or organization that wrote the article. There's a lot of money spent every DAY by the cattle and dairy industries to discredit people who promote not eating their products. It usually comes down to economics. And big corporate concerns don't want you messing with their profit whether it's animal products or other consumer goods.
    The study was not from that magazine the study was out of Austria which I don't think has a big corporate meat industry. Also, people have been eating meat and dairy long before there was an industry behind them.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Future Pro Football hall of fame Tight End Tony Gonzalez was a beast on the field and had no problem running over defenders. Oh yeah, he was also a vegetarian. This notion that vegetarians as a collective unit are skinny and unhealthy is pretty ludicrous. I'm not a vegetarian but I do think this country, as a whole, consumes far too much meat and bad starches and carbs and does not incorporate enough fruits and vegetables in their diets. I think obesity and diabetes from eating fried meat and processed sugars pose a bigger threat to this country's overall health than a handful of emaciated vegetarians.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Well, it's certainly not difficult to have more trouble getting the appropriate nutrients when you cut stuff out of your diet, so I'm not very surprised. Vegetarians have to work harder at balanced meals, and there are tons of vegetarians who seem to subsist on fries and white bread (especially young ones and those who are vegetarian for ethical reasons rather than health ones.) There's also a pretty substantial number of people with eating disorders who become "vegetarian" so it's easier to restrict food in public.

Ideally, everyone should be paying attention to their macro and micro nutrient intake and getting everything their bodies need, but vegetarians and other people who restrict their diets (paleo etc) need to be extra careful, obviously.

No need to throw paleo in with that. When you are eating an abundance of protein, fats, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds it is not hard at all to meet both your micronutrient and macronutrient needs.

One main reason my Doctor recommends the Paleo Lifestyle to his patients to get them off medications and just eating real food.

I should have known I'd get the paleo police on my case here...they're like Betelgeuse except you only have to say the word once for them to appear.

Yes, whole foods are good. Restricting your diet from a huge number of foods can be bad if you're not careful.

To be fair, you'd have to be pretty darn negligent on a Paleo diet to end up deficient in just about anything, assuming 100% (or very nearly) compliance. That's not to say that such things don't happen ever, but it's actually quite difficult if you put even a modicum of effort into variety. Cutting out grains, beans, and dairy doesn't really remove any nutrients that aren't found in equal if not better quality, more biologically available, and higher quantity in meats, fruits, and vegetables.

In contrast, veg*ns have to supplement or otherwise go out of their way to obtain B-12, and have to make sure they get the right variety of foods to make sure they're getting all of the amino acids required to make complete protein. It's possible, of course, but quite a bit harder than just eating a steak.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Science FTW
    [img][/img]nigellagillian.jpg
    Nigellea is gorg! :love:
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The study was not from that magazine the study was out of Austria which I don't think has a big corporate meat industry.

Scientific journals can have backers that want to promote certain studies over others, and meat can be imported, so it makes sense to look at where the funding came from.
  • BENNYDOOR
    BENNYDOOR Posts: 23
    Options
    There 2 types of vegetarians.. those that eat right ( vegetables, no dairy, no excessive carbs) and those who just don't want to eat meat.. I know both types.. My friend is a vegetarian and she hates vegetables.. so naturally, she is overweight because all she eats is processed junk food and dairy. My sister in law is a vegetarian, and you don't get any healthier then her... she takes really good care of her body and eats the way man was intended to eat... If your a vegetarian, you have to learn how to get your protein.... and in most cases its from fish and beans.. But there are unhealthy meat eaters and vegetarians, its all about choices in food.