Misconceptions You Had as a Child

Options

Replies

• Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    The very first job I ever wanted as a kid was to be a dog catcher because I thought that meant you could play with dogs all day.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I thought the phases of the moon were all different moons that switched places each night.
  • Saphira291
    Saphira291 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I was little I for some reason used to think that if I was touching someone in some way that they could hear my thoughts.
  • milmomto2
    milmomto2 Posts: 84
    Options
    My grandfather told me that catfish meowed. I believed him:)
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    That the world and people in the "old days" were black and white like it looked in old pictures and black and white TV shows.

I don't know if I ever thought this was true but it is how I picture my parents lives before me!
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I actually believed I could be a giraffe when I grew up! Granted, I was only 2 years old, but still...so silly!

Hey, with the right attitude, you can be anything you want! FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!!

LOL, when I was three I told my aunt and cousins I was gonna be a toy when I grew up.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I thought (until I was 10 or so?) that women became pregnant by getting kissed on the mouth. I could never figure out why my mom wasn't pregnant all the time. :laugh:
  • srr728
    srr728 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    My mom took her elderly friend in the car once with us and unplugged her oxygen tank to put her in the car and I thought she couldn't breathe at all without it attached and was sweating bullets when my mom took forever. I thought the poor lady might die in our driveway.
  • bitxbit
    bitxbit Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Funny stuff, some of these!

I thought I could see molecules with my unaided eyes! Found out later that it was dust!
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I thought that whenever they gave reruns on TV, that it was the actors acting it out live every time. I also thought Spider-man was real.
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I actually believed I could be a giraffe when I grew up! Granted, I was only 2 years old, but still...so silly!

Hey, with the right attitude, you can be anything you want! FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!!

Exactly! ;)
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    When I was little, I was convinced that little gnomes lived in all the traffic lights, and they had to run up and down the stairs to switch the colors. There were two, so that they could take shifts. I would even draw pictures of them, with the insides of the traffic lights like messy little houses, with a couch, and beds, and a kitchen. I'm very attached to my misconception. I still kinda wish it was real. xD

I was also totally convinced my dad was Santa because he had a big, round belly. It was (and still pretty much is), the jolliest belly I've ever seen on a real person.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I always thought fireflies ran on solar LOL LOL
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    Oh, and my fiance's favorite one was thinking that the past really was in black and white, like old movies and tv shows. He asked his grandparents what it was like when they were little and there was no color. xD
  • kelswg102
    kelswg102 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I thought quitting "cold turkey" meant you ate a lot of cold leftover turkey to help get over your cravings.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I thought, up until high school, that there was a finite amount of water on earth and once it was used it went somewhere and never came back. I partly blame weed, yes, but also a tremendous dose of "save the planet/whales/spotted owl/water/air/ozone layer" indoctrination. It wasn't until my sophomore year that my hippie chem teacher reluctantly explained the water cycle.
  • musicismymotivation
    Options
    My mom used to tell me she sent all the monsters in my closet to Chicago...

You can imagine my panic when she told me we would go to Chicago for our family vacation when I was 6 or 7 and still unsure of whether monsters were real haha
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options

I also thought that you had only one opportunity to pick what your job was going to be when you became an adult, so I was constantly re-evaluating my choices and the pros and cons of each job. Lol.

Me to cause everyone asks you what you want to be when you grow up. Never did become a zoologist, marine biologist, cop, or fighter jet pilot.

Probably age 6 or 7 When the sun is brightly shining and you can see the rays of light coming in the window it sometimes shows dust floating in the air. I used to think those where sun particles and I would try to catch them. When I caught them I could actually feel it warm in my hand. I was surprised I would open my hands and they were gone.

I particularly remember doing this during church services. People must have been looking at me thinking there is something wrong with that poor child.LOL
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I thought the people in the TV could see us too! :laugh:

I grew up thinking the wet spots on an otherwise dry road were from mythical little creatures called artesians who were hit by a car. (This might be because my dad and uncles told me this!!! :grumble: :tongue: )

And I used to think a city was a place. I grew up in Oregon and we'd go to Washington to visit family. To Tacoma. I thought it was a building or something you see. As we arrived in Washington I'd say "Where's Coma??" looking around for an object. lol
  • Bun_Ya
    Bun_Ya Posts: 174
    Options
    When I was a child I thought that we all perceived objective reality to be the same thing. I also thought colour existed.

lol, kids, ay - what were we like!