Misconceptions You Had as a Child

Options

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I thought China and Japan were the same country.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    That Santa wasn't real.

I now know better.
  • phillrn
    phillrn Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Prince charming really did exist
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My aunt had a well in her yard that was covered by boards and she would tell me to "be careful of the well". I thought she said "whale" instead of well, so for the longest time I thought she had a whale living under her house.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I used to think numbers ran out at 20 (I don't know how I explained dates in the month?)

My parents are HUGE Tolkien fans my sister who is nearly 8 years older than me had Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit etc... read to her as a bedtime story when she was 4/5. As a result I grew up hearing A LOT about Middle Earth and thought that it was a real place, I just thought it was somewhere else like France - imagine my disappointment when I found out Elves weren't real and no one could live forever.

For the longest time I couldn't understand why the sun wasn't following us when it always looked like it is.
  • KxCoyote
    KxCoyote Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    - I thought all mean people wore pink. (I was, severely mentally and physically bullied by a group of girls in elementary school, and they always wore pink.)
    - That girls were supposed to be seen and not heard, and their only purpose was to make men happy. (Thank you dad. >.> Though he never said that directly, his behavior around other women, and the actions of his 'friends' said it loud and clear)
    - That all kids went to the bars with their Dads. (I seriously thought this was normal until I was 12 and got my first friend who really showed me a lot of the things I thought were normal and happened with everybody, wasn't normal at all)
    - That police, teachers, and any similar authority person was bad.
    - That black olives were dog noses, through a joke from Mom, though she quickly corrected herself XD

I never really just 'thought' about how stuff worked, I either asked or watched until I understood something. I was very investigative as a child and never really jumped to conclusions, my parents also taught me things generally before I even asked about them so there wasn't much to speculate about. Santa was fictional character, I took joy in writing 'from santa' as much as my Mom did on each others presents and such. So my only real misconceptions were things wrongly taught to me either directly or indirectly.
  • pennyks88
    pennyks88 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    No joke, I thought Santa and Jesus were best friends and they lived in the moon together.

This is probably one of the best things I've ever read!! XD
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I thought that people didn't really grow up. I thought that it was a lie that parents tell kids to keep their hopes up, so they keep doing chores. I thought kids were essentially like slave labor. What a weird kid, hey?

I also thought that if a football game came on the TV the set would break and it would only play football for the rest of the day.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I thought that if you talked the people on TV would hear you.....
    So during the Phil Donahue show I sat very quietly as not to interrupt his interviews...
    Come to think of it...I should use this on my kiddos :)
  • Crimson_Fire
    Crimson_Fire Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    7d837110-8eb3-41b9-a431-06c89293ada4_zps5c9a4f3b.jpg
    ...it's actually NOT a "G"...

And I was convinced that if you weren't wearing your seatbelt then you would for sure have a wreck.
  • WonderfullyPeachy
    Options
    I thought that when you left your room, your toys came to life and began playing.

I wonder where I got the idea from...thanks Toy Story :')

I also thought that the sky would fall down one day soon an everybody would then die, because Angelica from Rugrats said so.

And then there was me, letting my rabbits out of the hutch into a the open garden, placing my *magic* blanket onto them, using my wand and saying 'Izzy Wizzy, Dizzy-Appeary' then turning around to find out that they were gone (and never returned). This is a prime example of my magic, guys. ????????????
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    When I was about 4, my older sister asked who I was going to marry when I grew up. I sat there coloring with crayons and casually said, "Daddy." Because to me, marriage just meant living with the person you love, and my dad was the only man I loved. :blushing: My sister yelled "You can't marry your DAD!" and I realized I must have said something bad. I looked up at my dad, he never looked up from the dinner table, and I felt my face getting hot and flushed. I looked at my mom, and she simply said, "That's ok, lots of little girls think that." From that point on, I knew there must be more to marriage than just loving someone (but I didn't know what!) :laugh:
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I really thought friendships lasted forever like in movies i watched.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Every limo contained a celebrity!
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    I really thought that if I was bad one more time, my parents would make good on their promise to send me to reform school. **shrugs** I was scurrrrrred.
  • siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options
    that the alien on the front of my bike will make us fly over the cop cars.....

alas we crashed!
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I used to think cats were for girls and dogs were for boys.

A friend of mine thought that ALL cats were female...and ALL dogs were male!
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I used to watch my dad steer our car as a kid and see his hand make all these little movements holding the steering wheel and wonder how he knew to make all these little adjustments just to stay in a straight line. Figured I'd never be able to drive. Turns out we just had a crappy old car with bad alignment and roads with potholes :-p
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I used to think my parents were brother and sister.

(No, they are not).