Athlean Bulking while Cutting

Options

Replies

• ndrec
    ndrec Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    not really, you're building strength infact. if you were eating more than required, muscle growth would occur also.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    not really, you're building strength infact. if you were eating more than required, muscle growth would occur also.

Ok so "building" strength is not the same as building muscle. I think it just clicked. I always thought the 2 were synonymous What y'all are saying is you can get stronger but to actually add or build new muscle on top of what you already have, you have to eat more. But if I eat more then I just put on more weight, which is not what I want to do.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've done some reading on this now. There are a lot of folks talking about body "recomposition" I don't think that it's out of the question for people who have not already reached the limits of their biology (most of us)
    It seems like maybe there are folks here who like to parrot what they've read in the internet without actually trying things for themselves. Like I said before I'll see how this goes for me long term. But currently I'm lifting heavier, I'm thinner and I'm eating a deficit. :p
    There are also folks, like me, who have tried to do this because I didn't want to believe it either. I have managed to retain most of my lean mass by lifting heavy and getting enough protein. I have yet to see a post from someone who said they ate at a deficit for a year or whatever and added any mass. I'm sure there are some out there, but I haven't seen it.

Bearing in mind my weight loss was deliberately very slow really my weight loss was very similar to recomp.
    March to October timeframe:
    Weight down 4lbs
    Fat loss 7.5lbs
    LBM up 3.5lbs

So nothing dramatic but at my age and with a sub-optimal weights routine I wasn't likely to get dramatic results whatever I did!!
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    This is interesting to me because I'm currently doing a ton of cardio (1000-1200 calories a day) eating a deficit of around 1000 and weight training. I just started keeping track of all of this stuff, but last week I lost 2 pounds. My arms, chest and legs feel bigger to me so I seem to be building muscle while losing fat.
    It seems to me, with what little understanding I have of physiology, that if I am using more calories than I am taking in my stored fat will make up the difference. Why should that process keep me from building muscle? I have a fair amount of muscle, more than average anyway, and my body fat % is in the upper teens. My goal is to lose 10% of it in the next two months.
    I'll have to keep it up and see what happens. Either way I'm not going to stop what I'm doing because I want to at least keep the muscle that I have while losing fat.
    I've never heard of Athlean though.
    you lost body fat which revealed the muscle that you already have…

losing fat AND building muscle are diametrically opposed to one another. You need a calorie surplus to build new muscle, because you want to build something new out of nothing. you need a calorie deficit to lose fat. To say that you can build new muscle and lose fat at the same time, is like saying you can build a house and tear it down at the same time. ..

i find it pretty hard to believe that you are burning 1200 calories a day ANd building new muscle..

an obese beginner can have "newbie" gains but after a few months that ceases...

Agreed. My guess is that 2200 calories with all the running you're doing is NOT maintenance, you're probably in a huge deficit actually, you're a big guy. I'm a little shrimp and a woman and my maintenance is around 2000.

You can't build muscle in a deficit. You might be able to hang on to muscle and recomp at maintenance, but in your case you're in a deficit so you'll most likely lose some muscle.

Yep I am in a big deficit. Greater than 1000 calories a day. But I'm also training my butt off. I'm losing 2 pounds a week. But my shirts are tighter in the chest and arms, my pants are loose in the waist. Yes I am building muscle and losing weight at the same time. ::gasp:: or maybe my clothing is changing size?!?!? Haha. Please folks stop telling me that I don't know my own body. Why can't people be happy about someone else's success? :p
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I've done some reading on this now. There are a lot of folks talking about body "recomposition" I don't think that it's out of the question for people who have not already reached the limits of their biology (most of us)
    It seems like maybe there are folks here who like to parrot what they've read in the internet without actually trying things for themselves. Like I said before I'll see how this goes for me long term. But currently I'm lifting heavier, I'm thinner and I'm eating a deficit. :p
    There are also folks, like me, who have tried to do this because I didn't want to believe it either. I have managed to retain most of my lean mass by lifting heavy and getting enough protein. I have yet to see a post from someone who said they ate at a deficit for a year or whatever and added any mass. I'm sure there are some out there, but I haven't seen it.

Bearing in mind my weight loss was deliberately very slow really my weight loss was very similar to recomp.
    March to October timeframe:
    Weight down 4lbs
    Fat loss 7.5lbs
    LBM up 3.5lbs

So nothing dramatic but at my age and with a sub-optimal weights routine I wasn't likely to get dramatic results whatever I did!!

Those are excellent results!!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    This is interesting to me because I'm currently doing a ton of cardio (1000-1200 calories a day) eating a deficit of around 1000 and weight training. I just started keeping track of all of this stuff, but last week I lost 2 pounds. My arms, chest and legs feel bigger to me so I seem to be building muscle while losing fat.
    It seems to me, with what little understanding I have of physiology, that if I am using more calories than I am taking in my stored fat will make up the difference. Why should that process keep me from building muscle? I have a fair amount of muscle, more than average anyway, and my body fat % is in the upper teens. My goal is to lose 10% of it in the next two months.
    I'll have to keep it up and see what happens. Either way I'm not going to stop what I'm doing because I want to at least keep the muscle that I have while losing fat.
    I've never heard of Athlean though.
    you lost body fat which revealed the muscle that you already have…

losing fat AND building muscle are diametrically opposed to one another. You need a calorie surplus to build new muscle, because you want to build something new out of nothing. you need a calorie deficit to lose fat. To say that you can build new muscle and lose fat at the same time, is like saying you can build a house and tear it down at the same time. ..

i find it pretty hard to believe that you are burning 1200 calories a day ANd building new muscle..

an obese beginner can have "newbie" gains but after a few months that ceases...

Agreed. My guess is that 2200 calories with all the running you're doing is NOT maintenance, you're probably in a huge deficit actually, you're a big guy. I'm a little shrimp and a woman and my maintenance is around 2000.

You can't build muscle in a deficit. You might be able to hang on to muscle and recomp at maintenance, but in your case you're in a deficit so you'll most likely lose some muscle.

Yep I am in a big deficit. Greater than 1000 calories a day. But I'm also training my butt off. I'm losing 2 pounds a week. But my shirts are tighter in the chest and arms, my pants are loose in the waist. Yes I am building muscle and losing weight at the same time. ::gasp:: or maybe my clothing is changing size?!?!? Haha. Please folks stop telling me that I don't know my own body. Why can't people be happy about someone else's success? :p

If true, you are a genetic marvel. The one true special snowflake.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Options
    If you do a little research, it's not hard to find people who have accomplished body recomposition you know....

In fact if you'd just scroll up a little you'll see a member here who did it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Ok so "building" strength is not the same as building muscle. I think it just clicked. I always thought the 2 were synonymous What y'all are saying is you can get stronger but to actually add or build new muscle on top of what you already have, you have to eat more. But if I eat more then I just put on more weight, which is not what I want to do.

If you eat more, up to a pound a month of the new weight could potentially be muscle. Which is what takes care of the tummy bulge, etc when you cut back down.

I've tried to recomp most of my life and never had as much arm definition as now, after I just gained 8 pounds. I can hardly wait until I can take all the excess off and see what I've got.

One half is eating. The other half is progressive resistance exercise.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If you do a little research, it's not hard to find people who have accomplished body recomposition you know....

In fact if you'd just scroll up a little you'll see a member here who did it.

We'll be happy to see your progress pics in six months.
  • XxZachAttackxX
    Options
    Try carb cycling consuming minimum carbs try to consume 30 carbs or less your body uses carbs for energy . If you cut out the carbs it will use fat for energy or if needed it will convert protein to carbohydrates i know people do this to lose weight but before you go on the marathon i would consume a few hundred carbohydrates the day prior .Possibly the day of . You can actually lose weight and gain muscle by carb cycling of course you gotta work out and eat good as well in lay mans terms go low carb high protein and fat
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm very familiar with Athlean. The thing is that yes it's very true you can build muscle while being at a caloric deficit. It's also true 100% that green tea extract helps you burn fat. 100% The question is....how much though? Enough to notice? If you're trying to gain muscle while training for a marathon, good luck with that. Your priority will be trying to maintain muscle mass that you have, and muscle mass is about more than just muscle tissue. Please see Sarcoplasmic vs. Myofibrillar. but what it boils down to is energy management. How many calories of protein, fats and carbs are you planning on eating? Yes it's all about nitrogen balance when talking about protein synthesis, i.e. whether or not you're losing or maintaining or building muscle.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    Options
    oh and LOL at "positive nitrogen balance"
    Why?
  • TheFitnessTutor
    Options
    Nitrogen. It's an element. Atomic number 7. N. Science.
    Yep, one of the most important and most forgotten about...and not really in much chemical components of carbs and fats by basic and even complex definitions. DNA can't replicate with carbs and fats alone. Ahhh...
  • TheFitnessTutor
    Options
    I experienced an increase of 40 lbs on my squat on my first couple weeks of dieting, while losing about 10 pounds. I really think it has to do with timing, having an ample fat supply and having a previous consistent lifting routine. Obviously as you approach lower body fat thresholds, the harder it is to do. Just my experience.
    This is because strength is largely due to neurological factors and not muscular gain or loss. One doesn't need to gain muscle to get stronger. And during the "noob gains" phase no logic applies to nutrient and strength partitioning, i.e. where calories end up going to after being eaten.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Yep, one of the most important and most forgotten about...and not really in much chemical components of carbs and fats by basic and even complex definitions. DNA can't replicate with carbs and fats alone. Ahhh...

CHNOPS.

It's kind of hard to avoid if you eat formerly living things - which is what fat and protein are. It's in the air. Is it something I need to worry about?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ok, in for "special snowflakes" that can magically produce muscle out of thin air.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    But my shirts are tighter in the chest and arms, my pants are loose in the waist.

Sounds like you've found your pump?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ivan5.htm
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Ok, in for "special snowflakes" that can magically produce muscle out of thin air.

x2 this!! A recomp is one thing but having a caloric restriction so low he loses 2 lbs a week and still think hes gaining muscle out of thin air makes one a true magical special snowflake. :wink:
  • Chris_Pierce
    Options
    But my shirts are tighter in the chest and arms, my pants are loose in the waist.

Sounds like you've found your pump?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ivan5.htm

Just because I'm new here doesn't mean that new to lifting. And I've never heard of a pump lasting for 3 days.

I'm tired of this thread. It's just gotten silly now.
  • likitisplit
    Options

CHNOPS.

It's kind of hard to avoid if you eat formerly living things - which is what fat and protein are. It's in the air. Is it something I need to worry about?

Ok. I looked it up. I'm even more confused. All it means is that you eat more protein than you burn. It doesn't sound like rocket science. Am I wrong?