Shaving - women?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I personally don't shave, except my armpits in the hottest days of summer. My friends, however, use home-made sugar and swear by it. Making your own sugar is very easy and cheap, you can just make a big batch and store it.

1 cup of sugar
    approx 2 tbsp of water
    a squeeze of half a lemon or less (about 1-1.5 tbsp)
    about half a tsp of salt

Mix all together in a saucepan or a regular pan while mixing constantly. It will turn into a caramel color and have a consistency of syrup.

Wet a ceramic or polished granite countertop with some water, then pour the mixture (never try that with a wooden countertop). When it starts to thicken, gently fold the the edges in with a spoon and continue folding until it forms into a mass. Wait for it to cool just enough to handle (don't wait too long) and keep working it with your hands, stretching, playing with it, wetting your hands every now and then until it's nice and pliable (it turns into a whitish color). It can then be wrapped with a plastic bag and stored in the fridge.

To use, you microwave it for a few seconds and then work it and stretch it with your hands until it's pliable enough to use. To use, you spread it WITH the grain, and pull fast AGAINST the grain like you would with wax. The same piece can be re-used until you finish an area, say both legs up to the knee, before you have to discard it.

What's nice about it is that it also leaves skin pretty smooth as if you have exfoliated. Apply some lotion or oil, and you're done.

Downside: the hair needs to be long enough for it to work or else the hair won't catch in the sugar.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Wax. It's not as terrible as it's made out to be. Been waxing 10 years now, and I've gone from an orangutan to a baby's bottom. And yes, I have very sensitive skin, but I can handle a rash or two for a couple of hours if it means I'm done with de-hairing for the next month or two.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I couldn't be shaving every day. I have used an epilator for years, but the ingrown hairs & growth in between plucking is a pain.

I just started laser hair removal & I'm so pleased with results so far that I'm planning on getting full package (legs, underarm, bikini). I have wanted this done for years & got a really great deal with a good clinic.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I shave pits, legs and lady parts every other day. I actually have extremely sensitive skin but don't really like body hair (on me, it's ok on my hubby) so make the effort.

I found that exfoliating helps, a quick scrub with a dry body brush before the shower and I use some homemade exfoliating body scrub after shaving if I have the time.

I also use oil to shave, which I blend with some essential oils to smell nice. I found this to be way better than any creams of gels bought in the shops. I used to get a rash or ingrown hairs all the time when using shaving gel. Hardly ever a problem now and that is shaving every other day. If you wash before you shave too, it softens the hairs and can help stop ingrown hairs. Also if you use oil and you wash before shaving, you are left with a thin coating of the oil on your skin that you can just rub in after and you don't need to moisturise.