rudest thing anyone has ever said about your weight?

Options

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • strds
    strds Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My doctor just told me I was obese, then backed tracked and said well your not obese but you are overweight. :(
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,220 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When I was in the army stationed in Korea, I was in the absolute best shape of my life. As I was coming through the post gate one day, a little old korean lady saw me and looked at her daughter and said (in incredibly accented english - so I know she meant for me to hear) 'There's one of those little fat American soldiers'. LOL! No idea what she thought she was proving, there.
  • Cookie_4
    Cookie_4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Cultural upbringing DEFINITELY makes a difference! I grew up as the first generation born in American in a sea of small Vietnamese immigrants. Standing 5'8" tall and a size 10 by age 14 where almost everyone else was 5' tall and size 2 made me the target for rude comments. I'll list some of them below (how much time do you guys have?)

-Did you steal everyone else's food to get so big?
    -Looks like your parents had you so that they won't have to hire a bodyguard.
    -Did you accidently drink elephant's milk instead of cow's milk?
    -Oh, you lost some weight, you look more like a girl now.
    -You're not skinny but you're skinnier than before
    -Blah blah fat, blah blah big, etc etc

Sorry to everyone who ever had to endure rude comments. Words can hurt! :sad:
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

This made me laugh. This is what all of those hateful comments about too. Just blah blah fat blah. It doesn't matter.

My friend was upset because a car load of guys drove by and mooed at me. I told her if that car load of guys ran off into a ravine and all died it would have zero impact on me or my life....so why let their idiot comments affect me. Their opinions and existance are equally meaningless to me. My bag of F***S is empty I have zero to give.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Cultural upbringing DEFINITELY makes a difference! I grew up as the first generation born in American in a sea of small Vietnamese immigrants. Standing 5'8" tall and a size 10 by age 14 where almost everyone else was 5' tall and size 2 made me the target for rude comments. I'll list some of them below (how much time do you guys have?)

-Did you steal everyone else's food to get so big?
    -Looks like your parents had you so that they won't have to hire a bodyguard.
    -Did you accidently drink elephant's milk instead of cow's milk?
    -Oh, you lost some weight, you look more like a girl now.
    -You're not skinny but you're skinnier than before

You are so beautiful. Guess you got the last laugh, huh:drinker:
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options

This will likely be the most selfish thing you've ever done. SELFISH. You will focus on yourself in a way that you've never done. You will think about how you eat, look, feel. You will focus on it. You will learn to listen to yourself, your body, your everything. And it will be great. You will feel awesome, but even better, your selfishness will mean that you can offer more of yourself to those in your life. The end result of your selfishness is the opposite. You will participate more in others lives. You will be more than willing to go on adventures, you will smile for photos when people want to see you, you will say yes to that bike ride, yes to that 5k, yes to whatever life throws at you because you finally realize you are awesome.

SO BE SELFISH. F* the A*holes in the meantime. Own This. Own Yourself. Get it. YOU ARE WORTH IT.

I love this!
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My (now ex-)boyfriend once told me that he wouldn't have sex with me because he was "afraid I would crush him if I was on top." Granted, I was always on top because he was suuuuper lazy. The next day, we weighed ourselves (we were doing p90x "together - meaning *I* was doing p90x and he was complaining about it), and he WEIGHED MORE THAN ME.

I think weight comments are about other people's insecurities. My ex commented because he was getting fat and needed someone to feel superior than. I'm sure your bf's brother's wife is threatened by you and needs to feel superior also.

I dumped my ex and it's taken me quite some time to feel normal again. Whatever the reason for the comments, they still strike deep.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    A part of me is spiteful and I want to lose weight because of a rude women who makes snide comments at my weight.

This women is European and she thinks all Americans are fat lazy and uneducated. She married my boyfriend's brother and she would constantly talk about my weight.

One of the craziest things shes ever said to me was when I told her I got a second job. I was so excited to have another source of income because I was really struggling for some time.

instead of congratulating me she said " that's good..gives you less time to eat"

She said this in front of my boyfriend and her husband and they didn't think anything of it. I felt like i had gone insane.
    Her theory is BS; I am european, lived in east-block country till I was 11, most of my family had weight struggles. I've now lived in Canada most of my life & once had a woman (a mutual friend) comment on how she has the same "european knees" like me. Meaning pudgy. I didn't think it was funny, since I had been at a fairly low weight at the time and always struggled with weight. Thanks for pointing that out.

That reminds me. A friend of mine once said, "You look so good, so thin! And don't worry about your thighs, I have thighs like yours, they're hereditary, nothing you can do about it.

Well, I had never thought twice about my thighs before she said that and had no problem with them at all. I still don't, really.

Sometimes people mean well, the mouthy little buggers.
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    The only thing that sticks in my mind - because it happened a lot - was when I was at school. One of my 'friends' would shout "SOOIE!" at me if I ever ran (which I didn't do at the time because I hated it!)
    It didn't do much to me at the time, because I grew a thick skin, but it still p*ssed me off!
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    "now that you're skinny i bet all the guys are lining up"

my aunt.
  • ibrahimz95
    ibrahimz95 Posts: 67
    Options
    "If only you weren't fat when I met you..."
    - Numerous females
  • Calamitycazza
    Calamitycazza Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The worst thing that was said to me was a short while ago actually, in April. It was my friends birthday and I was talking to her aunt, we got on the subject of weight loss and I told her how much I used to weigh, she said she couldn't believe it as I didn't look that big! I was pleased with that comment. When I told her how Much I weighed now (2st lighter) She then proceeded to basically tell me that I didn't look that thin and light! I'm 10st 8lbs now! she pretty much said I still look fat in front of the whole family!!!
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I love the comments along the line of "you would look even prettier if you lost some weight." Um, thanks...I think? I mean I know I need to lose some weight, but still...

I've never been sure if I should feel offended or not with that one.
    this exactly happened to me! these words were spoken to my sister by her friends behind my back and my sister being so polite and all told me word by word.. i mean i geddit! your friends are crappy why cant you just defend me or atleast not make it a point to tell me their rubbish comments:|
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I always remember a doctor who I had never seen before went

'Just forget it, you're way to fat to even bother losing weight, you won't do it without surgery. Let's face it, you're already fat, miserable and going to be a very lonely woman, that I can gurantee'

Well doc, this first 10kg is for you..... and the last 10kg will be for you too :P
    i am going to be a doctor soon enough INSHA ALLAH.. idk why are doctors that rude :( i will make it a point not to be that rude to my patients!
  • orlandogirl97
    orlandogirl97 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I was 10 and got off an plane....the first thing my mom said "Look how fat you are!" I'm very short and have had a hard time with my weight. I had gained about 8 pounds while staying with my grandmother for a month. ALOT of weight, I know. But she would ship me off there every summer knowing there was nothing to do there...Nothing to do but watch TV and eat.....she did not live in an ideal area for a 10 year old.....The funny thing is EVER time before I see her again....I always think about that comment before I see her.... It has haunted me my entire life. Watch what you say to your children! Yes, I need to lose 20 pounds.

I have had many things said to me about my weight/looks
    In college, my neighbor "your kind of fat"
    In college, a guy I was waiting on "Well you are starting to put weight on"
    A friend "I would email you but you are not as pretty as she is"
    A friend "put your arms up, you look like PartickStar"

A female friend "No, I'm not worried about you spending time with my boyfriend"

I could go on and on....
  • beccasaur387
    beccasaur387 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was in my third trimester when we were getting our A/C system replaced. The repair guy had been over a few times and I've had conversations with him so there was no way he didn't know I was pregnant. I'm sitting on the couch and he said 'Wow! You're pregnant! I thought you were just fat.' I was already feeling huge since I gained more weight this time. I waited til he left and started to cry. I told my husband he should've told the guy off, but he said he didn't mean it that way.

When I was in my teens, I needed a semi formal dress for an occassion. My mother's second husband took me over to his sister's place. She wore a size 2/4 and I was a size 12. She made me try on this dress and when I couldn' fit into it she stood there and laughed at me. She kept talking in spanish so I have no clue what she said.
  • lazysod101
    Options
    Personally i would prefer if someone told me when i was getting fat, however its only useful if they approach you in the right way. People have called me fat a lot, i have learnt to ignore it or use it as fuel for my weight loss. This woman sounds quite rude and i have encountered many people like this.

It annoys me when people make a statement just for the purpose of making you feel bad. My sister is very skinny and she is constantly getting horrible remarks from people saying shes disgusting, too skinny etc. People are going to always be horrible. Just do what you can to be healthy.

Next time tell her to stop being so concerned in your life and that she should maybe focus on her own.
  • CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm a flight attendant and a woman asked for a bloody mary and handed me $10. I said "Ma'am, drinks in 1st class are complimentary", she said, "No honey, you need a good meal and some meat on your bones, you are sickening to look at". At the time, I was eating close to 4K calories per day but I was training for a half Ironman.
  • orlandogirl97
    orlandogirl97 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was going to an evening wedding. I know it was not going to be formal. She did not know the couple. MIL said "It's going to be formal, you should wear Sue's prom dress" Sue was 5'6 110 pound and a size 2. I was more like a size 8-10 and 5'1. Wow, that dress would have looked great on me! I don't know if she meant to be mean but it really hurt my feelings.