How much protein per day

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'll be dead in 50 years because of all the red meat, butter, and sugar I eat. But go ahead and laugh at a dead person if it makes you feel better.
    I applaud you for at least admitting that stuff compromises your health. There are too many on this site who think that stuff is health promoting...
    As usual you do not address another of the other 20 comments telling you why you are wrong but instead comment on something barely related with an attempt to be witty.
    He has me and I'd imagine many of you posters that disagree with him frequently on ignore making his view of a thread a totally different ballgame. When you belive something as opposed to science that person can't afford to jeopardize that belief with science, it creates doubt, which is absolutely not acceptable, so don't ever expect any rebuttal with any real science and expect biased youtube or vegan sites as proof. His advice is generally totally useless to dangerous.

^^^^ yeah this

it's amazing what lengths people go to to protect their own delusions.

but being on ignore can be useful seeing as he hasn't attempted to contradict most of the valid scientific posts on the thread, so that anyone who's lurking and unsure of what science says can read the scientific arguments without the deluded rebuttals.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'll be dead in 50 years because of all the red meat, butter, and sugar I eat. But go ahead and laugh at a dead person if it makes you feel better.
    I applaud you for at least admitting that stuff compromises your health. There are too many on this site who think that stuff is health promoting...
    As usual you do not address another of the other 20 comments telling you why you are wrong but instead comment on something barely related with an attempt to be witty.
    He has me and I'd imagine many of you posters that disagree with him frequently on ignore making his view of a thread a totally different ballgame. When you belive something as opposed to science that person can't afford to jeopardize that belief with science, it creates doubt, which is absolutely not acceptable, so don't ever expect any rebuttal with any real science and expect biased youtube or vegan sites as proof. His advice is generally totally useless to dangerous.

^^^^ yeah this

but being on ignore can be useful seeing as he hasn't attempted to contradict most of the valid scientific posts on the thread, so that anyone who's lurking and unsure of what science says can read the scientific arguments without the deluded rebuttals.
    Internet equivelant of;
    lalala.gif
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    How far can you ride a bike in a day? If i had put as much time into lifting as i have into cycling, i would have bigger arms. Large muscles come from a specific type of exercise and recovery program.

You're so irrelevant. Everything you post.

OP makes a post wanting assistance with protein needs for athletic performance purposes, and you as your brainwashed vegan self post irrelevant and non-helpful information. Then, you decide to defend yourself with "Well.... I ride a bike bro".
    You are retarded!!! Seriously, thanks for the laugh!
    Umpire1_1.jpg
  • neandermagnon
    Options

^^^^ yeah this

Internet equivelant of;
    lalala.gif

yeah exactly.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Notice how Rocbola systematically and thoroughly ignores absolutely any mention of the term lean mass.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Vegan bodybuilders report faster recovery than you who eat the wrong foods. I know i recover faster in the sport i choose.

Even if you began lifting you wouldn't ever get big arms because you don't eat enough protein to build a significant amount of mass.
    You wouldn't know, because you have never tried it. You believe what you have read without ever actually trying out a proper diet. Why do my quads grow when i exercise them on my diet? Is one muscle group somehow different from the rest of them?

Lol okay then. So why is it that you have the physique of an IT guy? Most guys who cycle are skinny but decently ripped while you are skinny with 30%+ bodyfat. Could it be because they eat sufficient amounts of protein and you don't? Therefore causing muscular hypertrophy and improved metabolic state, insulin and leptin sensitivity? Whereas you continuously remain in a catabolic state which causes the release of cortisol; hence, your miniscule lean body mass and abundance of body fat.

Let me guess, you'll deny this and then say that everything I stated was just conjecture so you can continue to live in fruit-loop lala land...
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    How far can you ride a bike in a day? If i had put as much time into lifting as i have into cycling, i would have bigger arms. Large muscles come from a specific type of exercise and recovery program.

OP makes a post wanting assistance with protein needs for athletic performance purposes, and you as your brainwashed vegan self post irrelevant and non-helpful information. Then, you decide to de
    fend yourself with "Well.... I ride a bike bro".

Anyone that calls someone retarded should be posting elsewhere. Do you have any relative's with mental challenges? I do.

Reported.

Please leave this board.
    Don't be so sensitive. I have relatives with mental challenges, and i don't call them names like that. That doesn't bar me from using a term colloquially. Over sensitivity to trivial things is re..... oh, nevermind.

Lol
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Vegan bodybuilders report faster recovery than you who eat the wrong foods. I know i recover faster in the sport i choose.

Even if you began lifting you wouldn't ever get big arms because you don't eat enough protein to build a significant amount of mass.
    You wouldn't know, because you have never tried it. You believe what you have read without ever actually trying out a proper diet. Why do my quads grow when i exercise them on my diet? Is one muscle group somehow different from the rest of them?

Lol okay then. So why is it that you have the physique of an IT guy? Most guys who cycle are skinny but decently ripped while you are skinny with 30%+ bodyfat. Could it be because they eat sufficient amounts of protein and you don't? Therefore causing muscular hypertrophy and improved metabolic state, insulin and leptin sensitivity? Whereas you continuously remain in a catabolic state which causes the release of cortisol; hence, your miniscule lean body mass and abundance of body fat.

Let me guess, you'll deny this and then say that everything I stated was just conjecture so you can continue to live in fruit-loop lala land...

No, he won't deny it. He'll just ignore it.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Hey, I work in IT!

Oh, wait...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Bro...I don't know about you but I love Froot Loops. Especially drinking the milk afterwards. I would love to visit that land.

Also, lost it at "physique of an IT guy". Well played.

Well... are fruit loops allowed as a Fruitasaur? They are fruit after all... amirite?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

OP makes a post wanting assistance with protein needs for athletic performance purposes, and you as your brainwashed vegan self post irrelevant and non-helpful information. Then, you decide to defend yourself with "Well.... I ride a bike bro".

Your profile says you are 33... no shot you are 33. You don't look a day over 53. Must be the 3%-9% protein diet that is helping you age so gracefully...
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I'm on my way down, and i'm still far from skinny. In the picture you are basing your entire opinion of my off of, i had just lost 75 LBS in 4 months. It's a process. Did you develop your arms in a couple of days? I'll put on more muscle when i choose to add strength training to my routine. You keep blah, blah, blahing about losing muscle mass, but all you have is one picture of me. I live in this body every day. I am not lacking muscle mass, and i have not lost muscle mass since losing a bunch of fat, as i have said before, and you seem to ignore, i have GAINED muscle mass on every muscle that i have worked out with regularly since switching to this diet.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I'm on my way down, and i'm still far from skinny. In the picture you are basing your entire opinion of my off of, i had just lost 75 LBS in 4 months. It's a process. Did you develop your arms in a couple of days? I'll put on more muscle when i choose to add strength training to my routine. You keep blah, blah, blahing about losing muscle mass, but all you have is one picture of me. I live in this body every day. I am not lacking muscle mass, and i have not lost muscle mass since losing a bunch of fat, as i have said before, and you seem to ignore, i have GAINED muscle mass on every muscle that i have worked out with regularly since switching to this diet.

You realize, of course, that you had much more muscle mass than you do now when you were +75 lbs right?

Also.... you expect to be putting on muscle at 33+ years old with 3-9% of calories from protein? lol. Good luck with that.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

you lost 75lb in 4 months on a plant only diet giving you just 3-6g protein, and think you didn't lose any lean mass.....

that's nearly 5lb a week and nearly 19lb a month.... there's no way that was all fat, the human body simply does not burn fat that quickly. In that time frame, 40lb is a realistic amount of fat to lose. That's likely to be around 35lb of lean mass you lost. Which is pretty consistent with very fast weight loss on a low protein diet.

Also, even if/when you start strength training, you're not going to gain back that lean mass eating tiny quantities of protein. That's not physically possible for the same reason why builders can't build houses without raw materials such as bricks.

Oh but wait, humans are herbivores and your body breaks the laws of physics, chemistry and biology.

18tgturepcup9png.png
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You don't need a whole lot. Your muscle cells run on glucose, and so does your brain. The amount of protein found in plant food, like fruit and greens, is enough for most people. You only need protein to repair, not fuel yourself, which is a very common misconception. About 3%-9% of your total caloric intake should come from protein, and that just so happens to be exactly how much is in most plant food.

This is just wrong. My herbivore equine needs 12-15% protein from his total caloric intake. That's why we have to supplement with grain in domesticated horses.

Personally I stick to 1g/lb lean body mass, which I actually have a very good estimate of thanks to a bodpod test. And I try to eat more than that daily.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You don't need a whole lot. Your muscle cells run on glucose, and so does your brain. The amount of protein found in plant food, like fruit and greens, is enough for most people. You only need protein to repair, not fuel yourself, which is a very common misconception. About 3%-9% of your total caloric intake should come from protein, and that just so happens to be exactly how much is in most plant food.

Absolute nonsense. Stop posting this dribble. Your advice is going to hurt someone.

^ This... I've said this to this guy before ... he keeps posting the worst advice!!! dam Netflixs had a new documentary didn't it and your even more informed now? Do some actual research please and stop giving your opinion as fact you have no idea for the most part as to what you are talking about.

Kind regards,
    Brad
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    .6-.8g per lb of body weight will suffice.

This. 35-40% of your calories is a good resting spot for protein goals :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I like .8-1g/#bw personally, which is admittedly a little higher than many recommendations, but I'd rather be a little too much than too little, and I see no danger in being at the upper end of the range (assuming no medical conditions).

ETA:
    35-40% of your calories is a good resting spot for protein goals :)

Ugh. I hate % recommendations for protein. On my current cut and eating 2100 calories, 35-40% would be 184-210g. That's a little high for my body weight of 175ish. And at my bulking calories of 3500+, that's 306-350+. That's a lot of protein.

Even if you dial it back to 30%, that's 158g and 263g which is a really wide range and still (seems) excessive on the upper end.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    1g per 1lb to start off and adjust if needed.

I'm currently at 140-150 g of protein being that my carbs are low.