Mean rude people at the pool!!!!

Options
I was at the pool swimming and diving, and after I finished I walked past the lifeguard on the way out, who asked me, "you used to dive?"

I was like, "What is that supposed to mean? Are you calling me old? Or are you saying I'm not good enough to dive anymore?"

How are people like that allowed to walk around and breathe the same air as the rest of us who aren't mean and rude?

Replies

• Schmiznurf
    Options
    People are always going to be mean because they are ashamed of something in themselves, so don't take it to heart.
    That lifeguard has probably never done any proper diving so is a little jealous that you do.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I was throwing a football around and someone asked me if I used to play quarterback. You mean that wasn't a compliment?
  • WaKay
    WaKay Posts: 314
    Options
    I must be missing something, because I would have taken this as "not bad, you must have been a diver at some point." :smile:
  • jillyrobb
    jillyrobb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Um, they probably meant "you used to dive competitively?"
    I think it was a compliment.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    how did you deduce all that malice from that one sentence?
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    hmmm, sorry, I dont get the rude part. He was just asking a question, right? I know nobody asks me if I used to dive when I "dive" into the pool. Im not good at all enough to comment. Maybe it was a compliment?? You might be reading too much into that......
  • Settle Down, you're only as old as you believe to be...
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure how that was rude - it sounds like a simple question. How did you respond?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how anyone can take that as anything other then a compliment.

did you used to dive?
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Um, they probably meant "you used to dive competitively?"
    I think it was a compliment.
    Exactly.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Maybe he meant that you were so good it was evident that you used to dive. Maybe it's you that's being negative.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I get comments like that sometimes for example, "your hot for being a mom" and that type of thing. I just let it roll off my shoulder, and try not to worry about it. Some people are just jerks, others are just poor spoken so can't communicate their feelings in a way that is appropriate.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I must be missing something, because I would have taken this as "not bad, you must have been a diver at some point." :smile:

^this^
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    What they said. I took it as a compliment.
  • ninavdd
    ninavdd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was throwing a football around and someone asked me if I used to play quarterback. You mean that wasn't a compliment?

I was thinking the same thing. Although it was swimming, not being a quarterback. Nobody would ever assume I once was a quarterback!

Sooo, to protect my own ego, I'm with team compliment!
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Dude, you totally took that the wrong way. Sounds like maybe you have a bit of a pessimism issue. Determine to be that 'glass half full' guy.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I was at the pool swimming and diving, and after I finished I walked past the lifeguard on the way out, who asked me, "you used to dive?"

I was like, "What is that supposed to mean? Are you calling me old? Or are you saying I'm not good enough to dive anymore?"

How are people like that allowed to walk around and breathe the same air as the rest of us who aren't mean and rude?

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. "Used to"... as in, you appear washed up. Old. What a horrible thing for them to say.

Don't sweat them, OP. They're probably just jealous because they never got to accomplish their diving dreams at all!
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he was giving you a compliment in a no-homo way...I think he meant that you showed some style and ability not that you are old...I could be wrong but that's what it sounded to me.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I was wearing an Army Airborne shirt a few months ago, and this guy out of nowhere says “you used to be Airborne”? I blew up and just punched him in the face, screaming “what do you mean “used to”, do I look too old to jump out of a plane?” Idiot!!!!!! Sigh…
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    As long as nobody is mean to you on the internet, that would be even more horrible.