Replies

• LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    jonstewartpopcorn_zps07d78341.gif
  • 145fit
    145fit Posts: 7
    Options
    TO the OP: if you google reboot with joe hes the guy who did the documentary "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead." he has a lot of great information.

To the people who write smart a*s comments....perhaps you should spend your time exercising, helping people, reading a magazine, anything...to take the time to comment snarky or rude, heres a newsflash you're not funny. Get a life.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Line up all the fruits and veggies you are going to juice and then eat them throughout the day. Add some protein of your choice, , some fats, and you're good! You can put some of those veggies in a mac and cheese, or dip them in hummus, or saute them in olive oil. You can even put some of that fruit in a pie, whatever! Log all the food and hit your calorie goal for the day. You will have a healthy, happy three days that will get you ready for all the days forever.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm not certain what you mean by cleanse...but we have a Ninja juicer which you can get on Amazon for $99.00. This blender can actually make almond milk out of almonds. (I've never tried it, but someone on Amazon did.)

The trick to juicing on your own is to search the net for some good recipes. I've made the mistakes of just stuffing raw spinach, etc., in there an ending up with undrinkable slug.

My favorite juicer recipe is one 16 oz can of organic pumpkin, 4 cups of almond milk, cinnamon and Stevia. Incredibly filling without making you feel overstuffed.

Another favorite device I like is the Hamilton Beach steamer (the two tier which is about 30 bucks on Amazon.) Can put two layers of raw veggies (e.g., carrots on the bottom closer to the steam) and cauliflower on the top (since they steam more fully more quickly), and make some tasty steamed veggies if you toss on some spices (I like oregano.)

Now, every now and then when I feel that I just need to take a break, I'm very stressed and I know I'm going to make very bad choices or I just need to reboot, I'll do a 3 day program of the stuff I described above....it just seems to get me out of a bad pattern or get me started on a good one.

What you are doing is not juice. What you are doing is a smoothie. And if OP were going to do some sort of liquid diet or whatever, this IMHO, would be the way to do it. It's food, but in drinkable form. I wouldn't go all liquid (OH THE BATHROOM HORRORS) but adding a smoothie or even two to your diet would be just fine. My issue with juicing is that you don't actually fix anything. You don't actually get MORE out of it. You get less and it is COSTLY. And it isn't something you can do forever (drink only juice). But you can do smoothies for forever. Blenders (even good ones) aren't that costly. And you can have a TON of variety along with a device that does more than extract water from perfectly good items that could be eaten. Not to mention, blenders can do more than just make smoothies. That's why everyone is saying don't do it -- long term, it's not beneficial, it's costly, and you don't really get much from it if you don't continue it.

I have to say, the reason many people on here are blunt and give direct answers is because questions like these come up literally several times a day. And for anyone who has been here a while, you see the post and IMMEDIATELY roll your eyes. As much as people WANT to be supportive, listening to the same ol' things over and over day in and day out while still trying to be involved and do your thing is hard. Especially if those things are not beneficial long term. Good luck to you!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Okay if I knew everyone was going to be a ****ing *kitten* about this, I wouldn't have asked.
    Welcome to MFP. Most of these people have so much food industry propaganda ingrained in their minds, they just simply don't know anything else. Anything they know little or nothing about, they pretend they are experts, and will tell you to avoid.

If you want to do a juice fast, go ahead. The most important things to remember, are use fresh juice. Nothing from a bottle. And plan your POST fast diet! That is the most important part! If you go back to eating crap food, you will be doing yourself no favors.
    Insert well though out, well articulated argument here.

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
    If you had something productive to add, you would have added it by now. Since you can't think of anything, i helped you out.

Dolls_Laughing.gif

Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    TO the OP: if you google reboot with joe hes the guy who did the documentary "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead." he has a lot of great information.

Yeah, that wasn't a documentary, it was a sales pitch, and a highly effective one at that.

Rigger
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Okay if I knew everyone was going to be a ****ing *kitten* about this, I wouldn't have asked.

Because nobody is cheering on this horrible decision? Maybe you do need some juice lol

Why would this necessarily be a horrible decision? I'm not pro-juicing or pro-cleanses, but to suggest that it's a horrible decision is just silly. What is horrible about it?
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options

For the win.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Donuts? But serious though.. why the cleanse? You body does that on it's own, it doesn't really need your help. Just add additional fiber to your diet and drink plenty of water. No need to deprive your system of nutrients for three days.
    This^ Especially the donuts.

Yesss. Donuts. Mmmmm...

In all honestly though, I love my juicer. I've never done a "cleanse" but I drink a green vegetable juice with lemon and ginger a few times per week as an afternoon snack or for breakfast. It can get fairly expensive, especially since I only use organic produce. If you're set on doing a "cleanse" (remember, your body does a pretty good job at cleansing itself...that's what your liver is for), be sure you're not overdoing it with fruit since that can get fairly high in sugar. Also, don't forget about your fats and proteins...try a smoothie or two in addition to your juices. Juicers strip the produce of healthy fibre. Just my two cents.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Most of these people have so much food industry propaganda ingrained in their minds, they just simply don't know anything else. Anything they know little or nothing about, they pretend they are experts, and will tell you to avoid.

If you want to do a juice fast, go ahead. The most important things to remember, are use fresh juice. Nothing from a bottle. And plan your POST fast diet! That is the most important part! If you go back to eating crap food, you will be doing yourself no favors.

u9fVpSi.gif

Here for the Worf .gif. He's my pretend bf in my head.

And OP, just eat food.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    if you get sprayed by a skunk, i understand a tomato juice cleanse is a good way to get rid of the smell from your body and clothes. you need to bathe in it or shower with it.

that's what this thread is about, right?
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

Because nobody is cheering on this horrible decision? Maybe you do need some juice lol

Why would this necessarily be a horrible decision? I'm not pro-juicing or pro-cleanses, but to suggest that it's a horrible decision is just silly. What is horrible about it?

You seriously don't see any harm in only drinking fruit juice for 3 days!?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

the forums are really promising today!

quick! go sign up for the FSND diet!!!!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

What could possibly go wrong?!? Besides diarrhea, hangriness, dehydration (from all the diarrhea), and drops in blood sugar resulting in the murders of hundreds of innocent people?
  • bcattoes
    Options

No. Can you enlighten me? Preferably with something other than opinion. Some type of reputable source showing ill effects (other than hunger) from drinking juice for 3 days.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Fruit juice is fruit with fibre and nutrients/vitamins removed, aka sugar water with some vitamins sprinkled in.

Well, the OP didn't say fruit juice, it just said "juice". But even a 3 day water fast is unlikely harm an otherwise healthy body.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

To the people who write smart a*s comments....perhaps you should spend your time exercising, helping people, reading a magazine, anything...to take the time to comment snarky or rude, heres a newsflash you're not funny. Get a life.

We are doing all those things. Everyone who is against juice cleanses is having success in their weight loss/gain. We're just trying to save people from stupid fad diets and tricks that will ultimately not do anything.
    How do you know it wont do anything? You are speaking of course from your own extensive experience? Perhaps you would be so kind as to enlighten us all about how your vast juice fasting experience....

popcorngo.gif