How to start a juice cleanse?

Options

Replies

• Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm not certain what you mean by cleanse...but we have a Ninja juicer which you can get on Amazon for $99.00. This blender can actually make almond milk out of almonds. (I've never tried it, but someone on Amazon did.)

The trick to juicing on your own is to search the net for some good recipes. I've made the mistakes of just stuffing raw spinach, etc., in there an ending up with undrinkable slug.

My favorite juicer recipe is one 16 oz can of organic pumpkin, 4 cups of almond milk, cinnamon and Stevia. Incredibly filling without making you feel overstuffed.

Another favorite device I like is the Hamilton Beach steamer (the two tier which is about 30 bucks on Amazon.) Can put two layers of raw veggies (e.g., carrots on the bottom closer to the steam) and cauliflower on the top (since they steam more fully more quickly), and make some tasty steamed veggies if you toss on some spices (I like oregano.)

Now, every now and then when I feel that I just need to take a break, I'm very stressed and I know I'm going to make very bad choices or I just need to reboot, I'll do a 3 day program of the stuff I described above....it just seems to get me out of a bad pattern or get me started on a good one.

What you are doing is not juice. What you are doing is a smoothie. And if OP were going to do some sort of liquid diet or whatever, this IMHO, would be the way to do it. It's food, but in drinkable form. I wouldn't go all liquid (OH THE BATHROOM HORRORS) but adding a smoothie or even two to your diet would be just fine. My issue with juicing is that you don't actually fix anything. You don't actually get MORE out of it. You get less and it is COSTLY. And it isn't something you can do forever (drink only juice). But you can do smoothies for forever. Blenders (even good ones) aren't that costly. And you can have a TON of variety along with a device that does more than extract water from perfectly good items that could be eaten. Not to mention, blenders can do more than just make smoothies. That's why everyone is saying don't do it -- long term, it's not beneficial, it's costly, and you don't really get much from it if you don't continue it.

I have to say, the reason many people on here are blunt and give direct answers is because questions like these come up literally several times a day. And for anyone who has been here a while, you see the post and IMMEDIATELY roll your eyes. As much as people WANT to be supportive, listening to the same ol' things over and over day in and day out while still trying to be involved and do your thing is hard. Especially if those things are not beneficial long term. Good luck to you!

Again, I started with saying I don't know what you mean by cleanse. My description of what do is based upon a medical supervised "cleanse" I did a Northwestern University's Center for Integrative Medicine last year (supervised by Dr. Judy Fulop). Northwestern called this a cleanse or detox.

If the OP's definition of "cleanse" means cayenne pepper and lemon juice in distilled water, e.g. (I think this was Beyoncé's Master Cleanse a few years), well, I have no input on that. But, if she means cleanse by another definition (the Northwestern one, e.g.,) what I described was the regimen I followed.

Everything that goes into a blender isn't healthy for you and not every thing that goes into a blender is healthy for you either.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    TO the OP: if you google reboot with joe hes the guy who did the documentary "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead." he has a lot of great information.

To the people who write smart a*s comments....perhaps you should spend your time exercising, helping people, reading a magazine, anything...to take the time to comment snarky or rude, heres a newsflash you're not funny. Get a life.

35b94cf2e5b7d63cea301c35b7eb4eb17142eabf9b4e164a5102a50924fc9a9c.jpg
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice is fruit with fibre and nutrients/vitamins removed, aka sugar water with some vitamins sprinkled in.

How do they remove the nutrients/vitamins from the fresh juice?
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Dear OP: Juice is good. Juice cleanse - save your money.

Through the snarky comments you can see that people here overwhelmingly support counting calories. Shortcuts like juice cleanses, HCG, Raspberry Ketones...etc are just fads designed to take your money. The pseudoscience behind is shaky and in some cases dangerous.

Take a look at what's happened to Kevin Trudeau in the news recently. He sold 46 million books and pitched a great way to "increase your metabolism" while "never having to change the way you eat." Once you bought the book, it essentially said that you needed to walk 5 miles a day and cut your calories to 500 per day.

If you decide to do this, take a look here:
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/20/crash.diets.harm.health/index.html
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Okay if I knew everyone was going to be a ****ing *kitten* about this, I wouldn't have asked.

Because nobody is cheering on this horrible decision? Maybe you do need some juice lol

Why would this necessarily be a horrible decision? I'm not pro-juicing or pro-cleanses, but to suggest that it's a horrible decision is just silly. What is horrible about it?

Fruit juice is fruit with fibre and nutrients/vitamins removed, aka sugar water with some vitamins sprinkled in.

Well, the OP didn't say fruit juice, it just said "juice". But even a 3 day water fast is unlikely harm an otherwise healthy body.

Because there is no POINT to do it. No one has ever been able to explain what the benefits are in any scientific capacity. Only propaganda and talk about "toxins". But then they can't even tell us what toxins?

So why should we support fads like this on a site that is about health? If these people can't back up the concept of "juice fasts" being good in a scientific way, then why should we not call them on it? If anything else, hopefully we can keep other people form thinking that these things actually do anything.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Okay if I knew everyone was going to be a ****ing *kitten* about this, I wouldn't have asked.

Because nobody is cheering on this horrible decision? Maybe you do need some juice lol

Why would this necessarily be a horrible decision? I'm not pro-juicing or pro-cleanses, but to suggest that it's a horrible decision is just silly. What is horrible about it?

Well, the OP didn't say fruit juice, it just said "juice". But even a 3 day water fast is unlikely harm an otherwise healthy body.

Because there is no POINT to do it. No one has ever been able to explain what the benefits are in any scientific capacity. Only propaganda and talk about "toxins". But then they can't even tell us what toxins?

So why should we support fads like this on a site that is about health? If these people can't back up the concept of "juice fasts" being good in a scientific way, then why should we not call them on it? If anything else, hopefully we can keep other people form thinking that these things actually do anything.

So, your whole premise is that it's a horrible idea because you don't support it? You have no reason to believe it will do harm, correct?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

^This!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    So, your whole premise is that it's a horrible idea because you don't support it? You have no reason to believe it will do harm, correct?

I'd file "not eating food for 3 days in the hopes of health benefits and weight loss which will not happen" under harm.

Sure a person can live for 3 days without food. But I'm not about to start saying "that's great" for no reason.

But there is a vast difference between "that's great" and actually doing harm. People on this site are ridiculous sometimes. While I would agree that in the big picture a 3 day juice 'cleanse' is highly unlikely to provide any benefits whatsoever. It is just as unlikely that it will do harm.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Burden of proof is on the people who are supporting the idea in question. How is the fruit juice cleanse helpful? What toxins does it remove?

Why isn't burden of proof on the person who said it's a horrible idea?
  • Melimuno
    Melimuno Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did a 30 day juice fast and it changed the way I previously thought about food and my "healthy diet." Like any cleanse or fast, the whole purpose is to change the way you think about food and to open your eyes to what you are and are not eating and what your body could possbily be lacking. These are not necessariy recommended for purely weightloss purposes but are intended to teach you dicipline in your eating habits. They are a stepping stone to lifestyle changes and I absolutely encourage them. Fasting and cleansing are not for everyone, as you can see by all the negative comments, but I think they can be life changing if you do them correctly and take them seriously. I used a book called "The Juicing Diet" which is chalk full of useful info on fasting, cleansing, and juicing for just all around better health. It also has tons of awesome receipes for all palates. Also, I use a Nutribullet as normal juicers are much more expensive and tend to elimiate the natural fiber that is found in most fruits and vegetables. I hope this helps and good luck!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

I'd file "not eating food for 3 days in the hopes of health benefits and weight loss which will not happen" under harm.

Sure a person can live for 3 days without food. But I'm not about to start saying "that's great" for no reason.

But there is a vast difference between "that's great" and actually doing harm. People on this site are ridiculous sometimes. While I would agree that in the big picture a 3 day juice 'cleanse' is highly unlikely to provide any benefits whatsoever. It is just as unlikely that it will do harm.

You also said:

we know nothing about the OP, nor do we know their medical history etc. So nobody can state with fact that "it will do no harm."
  • bcattoes
    Options

But there is a vast difference between "that's great" and actually doing harm. People on this site are rididulous sometimes. While I would agree that in the big picture a 3 day juice 'cleanse' is highly unlikely to provide any benefits whatsoever. It is just as unlikely that it will do harm.

Well there we go, her juice cleanse will not provide any benefit whatsoever, straight from the juicer's mouth.

So why starve for 3 days for no reason? Seems stupid to me!

A lot of things that people on MFP do seem stupid to me. The fact that you took my "unlikely to" and spun it as an obsolute was a little stupid IMO. None of use really KNOW whether drinking juice for 3 days will help her or harm her or do nothing at all.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I did a 30 day juice fast and it changed the way I previously thought about food and my "healthy diet." Like any cleanse or fast, the whole purpose is to change the way you think about food and to open your eyes to what you are and are not eating and what your body could possbily be lacking. These are not necessariy recommended for purely weightloss purposes but are intended to teach you dicipline in your eating habits. They are a stepping stone to lifestyle changes and I absolutely encourage them. Fasting and cleansing are not for everyone, as you can see by all the negative comments, but I think they can be life changing if you do them correctly and take them seriously. I used a book called "The Juicing Diet" which is chalk full of useful info on fasting, cleansing, and juicing for just all around better health. It also has tons of awesome receipes for all palates. Also, I use a Nutribullet as normal juicers are much more expensive and tend to elimiate the natural fiber that is found in most fruits and vegetables. I hope this helps and good luck!
    Exactly!!!

The people who have tried it, understand, and the people who don't understand, are most often people with closed minds who have never actually tried it.
  • bcattoes
    Options

we know nothing about the OP, nor do we know their medical history etc. So nobody can state with fact that "it will do no harm."

Read those two posts, and tell me how they are different?
  • RandaRae16
    RandaRae16 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love the 5 lbs in 5 days plan by Jason Vale. It breaks out your day nicely and the recipes are super easy to follow. You can get everything at a major grocery store and even go organic for most of the ingredients if you choose to. You have to 110% commit to the Juice to make it work. I did a 5 day plan about 6 weeks ago - lost 9 lbs in 5 days and kept it off after I went back to 'real food'. Great way to kick-start a new diet / healthy eating plan. Feel free to message me with any questions; I have the 5 lbs app on my phone still and can get you a few starter recipes if you're interested. Good luck! :smile: