How to start a juice cleanse?

Options

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Another thing you could do, if you are truly interested in finding out how well this works, is to go to the 'Success Stories' section and ask how many of those people who have not only lost weight but who have improved their cholesterol, reversed their diabetes, improved their strength, gotten whatever health ills under control if they did a juice fast/cleanse and if it helped. And if not, what they DID do. If that isn't enough, check out other sites where you have folks with successful loss and health improvement such as 3 Fat Chicks or Calorie King. OR, even google people who have lost weight and kept it off long term.

Or, I could look on Pubmed for peer reviewed studies and see the result. If there were any.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    1. Begin drinking juice.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    UH OH!!!! Hot topic!!!!

(runs for cover)
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm not certain what you mean by cleanse...but we have a Ninja juicer which you can get on Amazon for $99.00. This blender can actually make almond milk out of almonds. (I've never tried it, but someone on Amazon did.)

The trick to juicing on your own is to search the net for some good recipes. I've made the mistakes of just stuffing raw spinach, etc., in there an ending up with undrinkable slug.

My favorite juicer recipe is one 16 oz can of organic pumpkin, 4 cups of almond milk, cinnamon and Stevia. Incredibly filling without making you feel overstuffed.

Another favorite device I like is the Hamilton Beach steamer (the two tier which is about 30 bucks on Amazon.) Can put two layers of raw veggies (e.g., carrots on the bottom closer to the steam) and cauliflower on the top (since they steam more fully more quickly), and make some tasty steamed veggies if you toss on some spices (I like oregano.)

Now, every now and then when I feel that I just need to take a break, I'm very stressed and I know I'm going to make very bad choices or I just need to reboot, I'll do a 3 day program of the stuff I described above....it just seems to get me out of a bad pattern or get me started on a good one.

What you are doing is not juice. What you are doing is a smoothie. And if OP were going to do some sort of liquid diet or whatever, this IMHO, would be the way to do it. It's food, but in drinkable form. I wouldn't go all liquid (OH THE BATHROOM HORRORS) but adding a smoothie or even two to your diet would be just fine. My issue with juicing is that you don't actually fix anything. You don't actually get MORE out of it. You get less and it is COSTLY. And it isn't something you can do forever (drink only juice). But you can do smoothies for forever. Blenders (even good ones) aren't that costly. And you can have a TON of variety along with a device that does more than extract water from perfectly good items that could be eaten. Not to mention, blenders can do more than just make smoothies. That's why everyone is saying don't do it -- long term, it's not beneficial, it's costly, and you don't really get much from it if you don't continue it.

I have to say, the reason many people on here are blunt and give direct answers is because questions like these come up literally several times a day. And for anyone who has been here a while, you see the post and IMMEDIATELY roll your eyes. As much as people WANT to be supportive, listening to the same ol' things over and over day in and day out while still trying to be involved and do your thing is hard. Especially if those things are not beneficial long term. Good luck to you!

Again, I started with saying I don't know what you mean by cleanse. My description of what do is based upon a medical supervised "cleanse" I did a Northwestern University's Center for Integrative Medicine last year (supervised by Dr. Judy Fulop). Northwestern called this a cleanse or detox.

If the OP's definition of "cleanse" means cayenne pepper and lemon juice in distilled water, e.g. (I think this was Beyoncé's Master Cleanse a few years), well, I have no input on that. But, if she means cleanse by another definition (the Northwestern one, e.g.,) what I described was the regimen I followed.

Everything that goes into a blender isn't healthy for you and not every thing that goes into a blender is healthy for you either.

I'm confused... I wasn't arguing with you...

Sorry about the confusion...what I was trying to say: We don't know what the OP is actually proposing. People define "cleanses" differently.

Yeah. I was just clarifying that yours were smoothies for the OP, but would be an option. A smarter option, IMHO since you would get the fiber and things from items like pumpkin. I sorta want to try the pumpkin now. It sounds yummy. But then again, I freakin' love pumpkin! Pumpkin juice sounds gross, but not whole pumkin! I wonder if I could make it with frozen almond milk to be more a texture of ice cream...
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I'm looking to start a 3 day cleanse next week and I'm just wondering what would be the best way to go about it? I love drinking Suja Juices but they can get expensive. Should I invest in a juicer? How much juice would I need to drink a day?

You can paypal me the money and I'll give you nothing - because that's exactly what the cleanse will do for you.

ROTFLMFAO!!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Well, the OP didn't say fruit juice, it just said "juice". But even a 3 day water fast is unlikely harm an otherwise healthy body.
    we know nothing about the OP, nor do we know their medical history etc. So nobody can state with fact that "it will do no harm."
    Read those two posts, and tell me how they are different?

I saw that when I posted it. You brought up a 3 day water fast in a juice cleanse thread and stated that it probably would do no harm in a healthy body. Could I have worded my response different? Sure. The point still stands that we know nothing about the OP to make those types of statements.

edit to fix quotes

Which is exactly why every post I have in this thread says "unlikely to". It is only the responders that have inferred absolutes.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Can I add rum to the juice.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    The OP wants to do it to kickstart her journey/jumpstart her diet/lose weight/cleanse unnamed toxins/fire up her metabolism/etc. She's not doing it just for kicks. She has specific reasons she wants to try this and none of them are going to pan out.
    Tell us again how she wont achieve any of these goals, from your extensive experience?

Still waiting....

Please... please gods I don't believe in...tell me Rocbola wants to compare fitness results.

But I won't bite. I know you'll move the goal posts after I prove I've lost more weight than you, got in better shape than you, and have achieved more than you... then you'll say something like, "I meant overall health!"

And I did it all without cutting out food groups, without expensive blenders, without having to convince myself that everyone who disagreed with me was a paid shill for Monsanto.

Don't worry mate. If anyone is looking for advice on how to become skinny fat, I always send them to you.

I keep reading all of your posts in Edward Norton's Narrator voice. And I like it.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Okay if I knew everyone was going to be a ****ing *kitten* about this, I wouldn't have asked.

Welcome to My Fitness Pal. Everybody Dance!!!!!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Why is OK to use the discovery of others and the study of science to;

Power our homes
    Propel our cars
    Defy gravity and fly internationally
    Save our lives with paramedics
    Allow us to communicate and share ideas globally via this very forum

But not to decide if a juice cleanse works or not?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to find out which toxins are being eliminated in this detox that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while still eating food.

You don't have to name all of them...just one.

Please, OP, just give the name of even *ONE* toxin.

Thanks in advance. :flowerforyou:
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    in to read later
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Okay if I knew everyone was going to be a ****ing *kitten* about this, I wouldn't have asked.

so everyone who disagrees with the juice cleanse is an ahole....got ya...

Sadly, it's become so predictable. The MAJORITY of people (I was going to say chicks, but I'm tryong to be nicer to my gender) who look into cleansing normally don't want to do real work, such as healthy eating, food preparation and real exercise.

There will always be bridges to sell and buyers for said bridges.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Power our homes
    Propel our cars

Because if you have never spent $300 on a juicer, watched a stupid documentary/sales pitch, spent $50 on vegetables to extract a cup of brownish juice, drank it, and then felt like killing yourself afterwards, you have no idea what you're talking about. YOU ONLY KNOW PROPAGANDA!

:sick:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to start a 3 day cleanse next week and I'm just wondering what would be the best way to go about it? I love drinking Suja Juices but they can get expensive. Should I invest in a juicer? How much juice would I need to drink a day?

You can paypal me the money and I'll give you nothing - because that's exactly what the cleanse will do for you.

this wins the internet award of LULZ for the day.
  • Jewlz280
    Options
    Another thing you could do, if you are truly interested in finding out how well this works, is to go to the 'Success Stories' section and ask how many of those people who have not only lost weight but who have improved their cholesterol, reversed their diabetes, improved their strength, gotten whatever health ills under control if they did a juice fast/cleanse and if it helped. And if not, what they DID do. If that isn't enough, check out other sites where you have folks with successful loss and health improvement such as 3 Fat Chicks or Calorie King. OR, even google people who have lost weight and kept it off long term.

Or, I could look on Pubmed for peer reviewed studies and see the result. If there were any.

There won't be any. Just like I doubt there will be many (if any) people who have lost weight and gotten healthier through this method.... other than the FSND guy.
  • Jewlz280
    Options
    The OP wants to do it to kickstart her journey/jumpstart her diet/lose weight/cleanse unnamed toxins/fire up her metabolism/etc. She's not doing it just for kicks. She has specific reasons she wants to try this and none of them are going to pan out.
    Tell us again how she wont achieve any of these goals, from your extensive experience?

Still waiting....

Please... please gods I don't believe in...tell me Rocbola wants to compare fitness results.

But I won't bite. I know you'll move the goal posts after I prove I've lost more weight than you, got in better shape than you, and have achieved more than you... then you'll say something like, "I meant overall health!"

And I did it all without cutting out food groups, without expensive blenders, without having to convince myself that everyone who disagreed with me was a paid shill for Monsanto.

Don't worry mate. If anyone is looking for advice on how to become skinny fat, I always send them to you.

I keep reading all of your posts in Edward Norton's Narrator voice. And I like it.

And here I thought that was just me! :drinker:
  • sunship
    sunship Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've made the mistakes of just stuffing raw spinach, etc., in there an ending up with undrinkable slug.

with the right juicer, all greens, spinach included, is fantastic.

i presently juice kale / spinach / collard greens / radishes / dandelion greens / cilantro and carrot, tops included.

don't forget to go all organic, lest you ingest more pesticides.

juice is good food, in moderation, and in complement to a healthy diet.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Power our homes
    Propel our cars

Because if you have never spent $300 on a juicer, watched a stupid documentary/sales pitch, spent $50 on vegetables to extract a cup of brownish juice, drank it, and then felt like killing yourself afterwards, you have no idea what you're talking about. YOU ONLY KNOW PROPAGANDA!

:sick:
    I spent less than half that, and i have gotten more than my money's worth out of my juicer.

I've never, ever made a brownish juice, maybe someone pooped in your glass the one time you tried it? It must be if you felt like you were killing yourself afterwards. I always feel GREAT after juicing.

And who are these people who have never heard of gardening? Why does everyone claim veggies are so expensive? They are FREE, half the year, if you do it right.