People suck.

Options

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    When my office has a luncheon or potluck I don't eat tons and tons of food...I just eat a normal amount of food and enjoy myself. There are some really exceptional cooks at my office and I enjoy their cooking and I can easily manage to hit my calorie goals and macro goals. Portion control is a beautiful thing...you don't have to eat granola bars and diet food and what not to lose weight...you can eat actual food and stuff.

Many people when they are just starting find it hard to deviate from the plan without going overboard. She is doing a good job by understanding herself and what she can handle. One step at a time.

Portion control seems like step one to me. *shrugs*

Right and if portion control is preplanning your meals everyday so that you know what you're eating then she's doing it. I preportion ALL of my meals during the work week. I know exactly what I am eating and the macro nutrients in it. Someone brought in donuts to my class. I didn't take one. they looked AMAZING, but I'd already eaten all my calories by 8pm, so I couldn't have one. Weekends are terrible for me because I have to feed my boyfriend too. So I completely understand not wanting to have to worry during the week about messing up my planned meals
  • angelicprettyy
    Options
    I came in here to tell you to lighten up and live a little, but yeah, the people you work with suck.
    *Edited to add...Though, on second thought...the way you describe the catered lunch was kind of snotty, too, to be perfectly honest. Just because you choose to eat healthfully (and, in all seriousness, good for you for it!) does not make you better than your co-workers who do choose to "stuff themselves until they can't breathe" or however you termed it. It certainly doesn't excuse their behavior, but is it possible they were reacting to your attitude about the catered lunch? Honest question. How do you typically interact with your co-workers about food? Perhaps, if you used the same tone and terminology with them, they became defensive about it, and that's what triggered their comments. Again, NOT saying or implying that your co-workers' behavior was acceptable, regardless of anything else. Not even a little bit. And I wasn't there so I certainly don't know how you actually acted or spoke...just making an observation about the possibilities. It's equally likely that you were perfectly polite and they're just pushy jerks :smile: .
    ^this^
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    When my office has a luncheon or potluck I don't eat tons and tons of food...I just eat a normal amount of food and enjoy myself. There are some really exceptional cooks at my office and I enjoy their cooking and I can easily manage to hit my calorie goals and macro goals. Portion control is a beautiful thing...you don't have to eat granola bars and diet food and what not to lose weight...you can eat actual food and stuff.

Many people when they are just starting find it hard to deviate from the plan without going overboard. She is doing a good job by understanding herself and what she can handle. One step at a time.

Right and if portion control is preplanning your meals everyday so that you know what you're eating then she's doing it. I preportion ALL of my meals during the work week. I know exactly what I am eating and the macro nutrients in it. Someone brought in donuts to my class. I didn't take one. they looked AMAZING, but I'd already eaten all my calories by 8pm, so I couldn't have one. Weekends are terrible for me because I have to feed my boyfriend too. So I completely understand not wanting to have to worry during the week about messing up my planned meals

Okay, but did you mock the donut-bringer for creating a stuff your face environment? Is it their fault you are on such a strict intake schedule? No.

I get wanting to watch your calories. But it isn't like the OPs office heard she was on a diet and decided to throw a party and torture her with all the foodz. I don't get the butthurt, but it makes the OP feel stronger in her resolve, well hey.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Again, I didn't put anyone down for the food choices they made. I tried to be as polite as possible when SEVERAL comments were made, including the plate in my face incident (how I succeeded in being nice, I don't know). I would love to eat that food. It's been smelling up the office since 8 am. I didn't exclude myself from the potluck entirely, I just didn't eat that food. I didn't say anything in a snotty way or make anyone uncomfortable. I certainly wouldn't go around saying "I'm eating a granola bar and you're all eating ****ty food, you should be eating what I'm eating because I'm better than you!!" I kept my cool. Not saying I'm perfect or any measure of the word, just trying REALLY hard and they make it hard to stick with it. That's all. I wouldn't go out of my way to put down anyone's choices. Usually I'm excited for the stuff-fest, because I like to cook (and eat) but not this time around.. I know that some were just trying to include me (which I appreciate), but some were just downright rude, per the usual.

Attending a social gathering you knew about ahead of time where people have gone out of their way to make food for the group and not only not eating, but making a point of eating food you brought for yourself and only yourself in front of them is rude. It would be one thing if you had special dietary needs, but you obviously do not as you've eaten the food before and people have seen you do it. You didn't need to verbally say anything to people, your actions spoke for themselves.
  • angelicprettyy
    Options
    I find it interesting that you are willing to look down on them for their food choices (a perfect example would be how you describe the potluck to begin with) but feel very victimized that they were "looking down" on your choices.

I mean, what horrible people you work with, trying to make the new people feel welcomed and creating a social event that will encourage office morale. How terrible that they would want to be sure you were included.

Instead of sitting on your impossibly high pedestal, why didn't you make something *you* approve of and share it, and maybe educate those heathens on the benefits of clean eating?

But hey, I am sure working yourself up into a lathered rage burns way more calories than getting along with the folks at work.

Sorry, but I am not going to pat you on the back for this one.
    I like you.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that you are willing to look down on them for their food choices (a perfect example would be how you describe the potluck to begin with) but feel very victimized that they were "looking down" on your choices.

I mean, what horrible people you work with, trying to make the new people feel welcomed and creating a social event that will encourage office morale. How terrible that they would want to be sure you were included.

Instead of sitting on your impossibly high pedestal, why didn't you make something *you* approve of and share it, and maybe educate those heathens on the benefits of clean eating?

But hey, I am sure working yourself up into a lathered rage burns way more calories than getting along with the folks at work.

Whoa hold on there sally sad face... I think this response was a bit over the line.

1. She didn't look down on anyone for their food choices. She DID however prefer to stick to her diet plan... social hour wasn't important to her as staying dedicated to her goals. Nothing wrong with that at all. Not a single word of her post included, "I told them how horrible their food was for me" or "It wasn't food skinny people eat"... She merely stated it was a all you can eat event she wasn't ready to partake in at this point in her plan. Might not have been great wording.. I'll agree to that.. but she has every right to chose what she will and won't eat.

2. She still attended the event to be social. To be disrespectful would have been to avoid the event entirely.

3. She did make something for herself.. that was what she got criticized for. Yet not many people jib the body builder for his/her protein shakes... but try sure do love to harass the girl trying to just lose unwanted weight.

4. She's not raging at all. Just trying to deal with how difficult this is for everyone who is just starting the process. It happens all the time, it's not new to her situation. People are naturally thrown off when others take interest in bettering their body, it makes them insecure about their own choices and they tend to lash out in response. It is what it is. You can penalize her all you want for it? But it's silly...
  • therealkat
    therealkat Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I keep having people not invite me out to dinner with friends because “she eats healthy” and they don’t want to tempt me. So… because I eat healthy, I don’t get to hang out with my friends anymore?

I like that they are thinking of me, but I am more than capable of eating lighter when out. It’s a shame food and socialization have gotten to be one in the same.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    On the waving plate one, all it takes is, "You have exactly three seconds to back away from me. Three...." You'll never get to the One count.

Why office people think it's fine to be a snot - and then get all manner of offended when I've told them to get bent - is utterly beyond me.

+1
    Seriously, WTH is wrong with people? It's just rude to be getting all in a persons bubble especially with something as petty as what we decide to eat for lunch. At least you're participating in the social event.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

Whoa hold on there sally sad face... I think this response was a bit over the line.

1. She didn't look down on anyone for their food choices. She DID however prefer to stick to her diet plan... social hour wasn't important to her as staying dedicated to her goals. Nothing wrong with that at all. Not a single word of her post included, "I told them how horrible their food was for me" or "It wasn't food skinny people eat"... She merely stated it was a all you can eat event she wasn't ready to partake in at this point in her plan.

2. She still attended the event to be social. To be disrespectful would have been to avoid the event entirely.

3. She did make something for herself.. that was what she got criticized for. Yet not many people jib the body builder for his/her protein shakes... but try sure do love to harass the girl trying to just lose unwanted weight.

4. She's not raging at all. Just trying to deal with how difficult this is for everyone who is just starting the process. It happens all the time, it's not new to her situation. People are naturally thrown off when others take interest in bettering their body, it makes them insecure about their own choices and they tend to lash out in response. It is what it is. You can penalize her all you want for it? But it's silly...

Dead on!
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

I'm going to go out on a limb and say these are two different scenarios. A pot-luck, at least a successful one, isn't a surprise. She should have known that it wasn't going to occur unlike the sporadic appearance of donuts. And portion control doesn't have to mean pre-planning every meal every day. It can be only putting a scoop of mashed potatoes instead of making Mount Doom and not having space for the 3 or 5 helpings of lasagna. Portion control can be the fact that lunch turned out more expensive than originally planned and so instead of the guilt free double scoop of ice cream for desert, she only takes a small cone from Dairy Queen. Portion control comes down to being action after awareness, not necessarily anal retentive to the point of exclusion. And I will also say, that one day over does not weight gain make. Go on into that break room OP, there are probably some left overs.
  • nikkihk
    Options
    Again, I didn't put anyone down for the food choices they made. I tried to be as polite as possible when SEVERAL comments were made, including the plate in my face incident (how I succeeded in being nice, I don't know). I would love to eat that food. It's been smelling up the office since 8 am. I didn't exclude myself from the potluck entirely, I just didn't eat that food. I didn't say anything in a snotty way or make anyone uncomfortable. I certainly wouldn't go around saying "I'm eating a granola bar and you're all eating ****ty food, you should be eating what I'm eating because I'm better than you!!" I kept my cool. Not saying I'm perfect or any measure of the word, just trying REALLY hard and they make it hard to stick with it. That's all. I wouldn't go out of my way to put down anyone's choices. Usually I'm excited for the stuff-fest, because I like to cook (and eat) but not this time around.. I know that some were just trying to include me (which I appreciate), but some were just downright rude, per the usual.

You don't need to defend yourself. It is a frustration... I get the same types of comments, "You don't need to lose weight, why are you dieting..?" Though I appreciate their observation, I am much more aware of my body composition then they are. I'm never rude about it.. usually a "Well Thank you.." and I leave it at that, but it does get frustrating because you know it's 9 times out of 10 they hate you for being dedicated in an area that's hard to accomplish for most people.
  • popshoveit
    Options
    I'm just gonna say that your attitude reminds me of myself when I had a bad eating disorder. The words you chose to describe some people simply celebrating with food (which is what humans have done since the dawn of civilization) is exactly what I would have said and felt back then. And I would have posted it all to my anorexic blog and received a tonne of "you go girl, stay strong, screw those people" style feedback.
  • brittany2188
    Options

You don't need to defend yourself. It is a frustration... I get the same types of comments, "You don't need to lose weight, why are you dieting..?" Though I appreciate their observation, I am much more aware of my body composition then they are. I'm never rude about it.. usually a "Well Thank you.." and I leave it at that, but it does get frustrating because you know it's 9 times out of 10 they hate you for being dedicated in an area that's hard to accomplish for most people.

Thank you for understanding where I'm coming from. I guess I'm not good at getting my point across. I appreciate it!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Well a great first step would be not calling it a "stuff-fest". Try portion control, it works wonders.

As per your OP, you were irritated and derisive. I'm pretty sure they noticed.

Why not eat the wonderful-smelling foods?

She's probably calling it like she sees it. Every time we have a food related celebration at my job (usually once a month), I get to watch people come back for 3 plates full of pizza, sandwiches, chinese food, chicken or whatever we get. I order the food and set up the tables for everyone, so I don't get to eat anything until the very end. In general, watching them eat past the point of being full always helps me stick to one slice, one wrap, one piece of chicken, etc. I also get to watch/monitor people who steal leftovers that are supposed to go to our second shift workers. As someone who gets to watch the whole thing play out before I even get to taste the food, I would accurately label what goes on at my job as a "stuff-fest".
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from. We have luncheons all the time and the reps rarely bring anything healthy. Today we had Olive Garden. Thank God they brought 2 salads and there was grilled chicken on one of the pasta dishes. What I find hysterical is all the people that partake in the potlucks or luncheons sit there and eat a mountain of food while talking about dieting. SERIOUSLY??? Then they make fun of what people who really are dieting and losing are eating. I guess it's just their way of being jealous to not have the same willpower and stamina to reach a goal. Sad for them.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I understand the office feed fests! At my job they will find any reason to eat/get food/celebrate.

Good job for staying strong! The reward in the end is much better than those silly office celebrations!
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    People do suck. I get food pushed into my face on all sorts of occasions. Just keep strong! You've got this!
  • nikkihk
    Options

I'm going to go out on a limb and say these are two different scenarios. A pot-luck, at least a successful one, isn't a surprise. She should have known that it wasn't going to occur unlike the sporadic appearance of donuts. And portion control doesn't have to mean pre-planning every meal every day. It can be only putting a scoop of mashed potatoes instead of making Mount Doom and not having space for the 3 or 5 helpings of lasagna. Portion control can be the fact that lunch turned out more expensive than originally planned and so instead of the guilt free double scoop of ice cream for desert, she only takes a small cone from Dairy Queen. Portion control comes down to being action after awareness, not necessarily anal retentive to the point of exclusion. And I will also say, that one day over does not weight gain make. Go on into that break room OP, there are probably some left overs.

But who are any of us to tell her how to plan her day or what to eat? I get your point... I really do. But it's not up to any of us how she choose's to control her diet. I know for me it's calorie based, so how would log several dishes that have no nutrition labels? I would have no idea if I went 10 calories over or 3,500 calories over. Or what if she had dinner plans that evening, she may have a family who consider it important they all eat together at night.. etc.

It's A-OKAY to say no to events you don't wish to participate in to stay on task. People avoid outings all the time in exchange for the Gym or to stay away from the empty cals of bar snacks and alcohol. She attended the event to be social, but there are no rules about what she should have to eat just because it's there to be consumed.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Oh, so lunch was a total surprise? And it was impossible to change the food diary in the afternoon or evening? Ok, wow! That was omitted from the OP. :love:

If were impossible to ever change a diary entry, or to make up from a big food day, then I might have agreed. All I know is life is change, and you gotta learn to take things one day at a time and to make adjustments as needed without freaking out. :flowerforyou:
  • jmarcin78
    jmarcin78 Posts: 34
    Options
    She's not raging at all. Just trying to deal with how difficult this is for everyone who is just starting the process. It happens all the time, it's not new to her situation.

Agreed. OP's not ridiculing, she is expressing how this makes her feel and is seeking "motivation and support," for her situation, which is the name of this forum. She is here seeking support, not judgment. I think some people posting on here may have forgotten that.

Stick to your guns, OP. Your co-workers don't mean any harm (probably); they are just being jokers, even though it is super annoying. As long as you keep showing up for functions, that is what matters. One poster on here had a good idea about bringing your own dish of something healthy to share. If they don't eat it, take it home and you have dinner for a few days! The people that matter will try and understand, and even if they can't understand, they will at best support you in your journey to better health. Maybe you will even inspire some of them to start their own journey. It's early yet. Best of Luck!