Those Annoying Little Comments

Options

Replies

• maskedbelleza
    maskedbelleza Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just looking at this thread, see an over abundance of women. Seems to me women get pretty riled up and annoyed too easily. Quit worrying about what other people say and do things for yourself. Be yourself! All the other things will follow.

Or maybe more people feel more entitled to comment on a woman's body than a man's.

Maybe they've heard this all so many times that they just need to vent without getting further backlash.

Maybe we'd like to display some negativity once in a while without being accused of hysteria.

My father deemed it appropriate to comment on the size of my stomach (it was too big, according to him and his beer belly) while ordering at a restaurant when I was TWELVE. "You've got a bit of stomach there, haven't you? You've got to watch your weight!" (He was later diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes because he is overweight)

People comment on my size all of the time. The first time I met someone, she said "Oh my god, you're so skinny!". Not even a "hi" or "hello".

Start eating protein bars? Quinoa? Avoiding excessive sweets? "You're one of the THOSE people."

So yeah, I'm pretty tired of the comments.
  • hasturm
    hasturm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How are all of theae possible, when so many of you have been so successful with your weight loss?? Jealousy, I guess.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Just looking at this thread, see an over abundance of women. Seems to me women get pretty riled up and annoyed too easily. Quit worrying about what other people say and do things for yourself. Be yourself! All the other things will follow.

Or maybe more people feel more entitled to comment on a woman's body than a man's.

Maybe they've heard this all so many times that they just need to vent without getting further backlash.

Maybe we'd like to display some negativity once in a while without being accused of hysteria.

My father deemed it appropriate to comment on the size of my stomach (it was too big, according to him and his beer belly) while ordering at a restaurant when I was TWELVE. "You've got a bit of stomach there, haven't you? You've got to watch your weight!" (He was later diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes because he is overweight)

People comment on my size all of the time. The first time I met someone, she said "Oh my god, you're so skinny!". Not even a "hi" or "hello".

Start eating protein bars? Quinoa? Avoiding excessive sweets? "You're one of the THOSE people."

I think men hear just as many comments. The difference is I think women put the pressure on other women. Men say things and we just say things back and that is the end of it.

Now comments from your parents is another story completely. Though maybe your dad didnt know how to communicate with you, but wanted to save you from the same fate he had with his big beer belly.
  • Cudleigh
    Cudleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    One friend keeps asking me if I'm allowed to eat this or that. She was over on Saturday and had a bag of popcorn. She said, "are you allowed to eat this? Probably not. I shouldn't tempt you." Told her I wasn't hungry anyway. She went on "yeah, you should have some celery or something then. Popcorn is bad for you" as she then proceeds to eat two entire bags by herself. I just laugh at her and continue doing whatever I'm doing.

One time she offered me a slice of cake and then took it back because she "shouldn't tempt me". Her face when I took a bite was great. She was all, "but I thought you were on a diet!" I just replied, "and?" Silly girl.
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    People tell me that I am 'addicted to exercise' because I work out several days a week, every week and work really hard which is apparently abnormal and therefore I must have a problem,
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    "Calories in Vs Calories out"

EXCEPT THAT I'VE EATEN BELOW TDEE FOR WEEKS WITH NO SCALE MOVEMENT

A common misconception. If you've eaten for weeks below TDEE with no scale or measurement changes then you have overestimated your expenditure or underestimated your intake. Perhaps a combination of both. Simple.
  • matuskap
    matuskap Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I personally HATE when someone tells me that i'm overdoing fitness and that everything should be done in moderation while they are shoving a 1.5k cal super-size pizza down their throat. Yea... cause I'M the one who's overdoing it really... And the best part is, when the summer comes and me and my friends go rollerskating (without shirts obviously... its 30 degrees celsius and we want to get a tan) and they look(or even say out loud) at you like its unfair that they look like crap while there's visible muscles on you they didn't even know exist. And, again... simultaneously stuffing themselves with ice cream...
  • PinUp2014
    PinUp2014 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The worst part for me and that was before I actually changed my diet even further to drop the excess fat and balance my hormones was when I was invited by 2 GOOD friends, unrelated, at different a different time and place, for dinner. I don't eat pork for religious reasons, primarily. In both instances, they cooked pork without my knowledge, telling me it was 100% ground beef. I only found out because they just could not keep their story straight. I am an epicurean and love eating with friends and family. Needless to say, respecting someone's diet has become a big deal criterion for friendship. No longer eating their food. I felt violated but I have a big heart: NOT forgotten but forgiven.*

Now I am on LCHF, people keep asking me if I am doing it for medical reasons.

Don't ask what you can do for your country but what's for lunch, right? Other's diet seems to be a big issue for some. Not sure why. Would be interesting to find a research paper out there on the subject.

All in all, I love how 99,9% have been truly supportive. Loving the attention :blushing:

EDIT *

That is just horrible!! My boyfriend is actually deathly allergic to pork and any products with pork fat; there would be a missing person's report if anyone did that to him....

I've heard it all...the fad diets, the extreme workouts, the fasting and the pills. I just don't do it. I'm a fat kid at heart, I LOVE FOOD. I just have no self control without making myself write it all down.

I've been accused of being an old lady for wanting decent amounts of sleep (without which I eat everything in sight).

My father quit drinking (again...some people should never be allowed around booze) and is constantly telling me how great he feels and how much clearer life is...usually while I'm pouring a glass of wine. I just smile and nod for the first ten minutes and if it gets past that, I gently tell him to feck off.

The constant questions about what I eat and how does that satisfy me and don't I get hungry. Dude. I'm 200 pounds. I'm ALWAYS hungry. I'm just having to learn to edit what I eat.
  • maskedbelleza
    Options

I think men hear just as many comments. The difference is I think women put the pressure on other women. Men say things and we just say things back and that is the end of it.

Now comments from your parents is another story completely. Though maybe your dad didnt know how to communicate with you, but wanted to save you from the same fate he had with his big beer belly.

I think we see more fat men that are successful than fat women. Fat men can be in the media, but fat women can't. And when they are, people comment on it (see that youtube video of an anchorwoman responding to a rude email about her weight). Even aging is an area where women are discriminated against. Men can age--women can't. (See leading men and their ages, vs. leading women)

Now, obviously you don't know the whole story or why it was particularly hurtful, so I aim for concision:

My sister was, at this time, battling undiagnosed anorexia. My parents didn't know, but I was a nosy brat and found her blog that had her counting calories to 500 or less a day. So, he brings up my "fatness" (by the age of 18, I had never been above 135 lbs at 5'7") while we're out dining and comments in front of EVERYONE. It was utterly humiliating and brought me to the edge of the precipice. I could make a choice: I could try doing what my older sister was, or I could just let it go. I wasn't--by any means or stretch of the imagination--a fat kid.

I've tried letting it go 100%, but every so often, that sort of creeps into my head and I have to question: am I getting that stomach? So yeah, those comments get to me. So then, rather than "saving me from his fate", he made me a very insecure, quiet, teenager who became an adult who still struggles with weight and body image.

You don't say that stuff to a kid. You just don't.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I can't stand when people say: "You have to try this"! Thank you, but no, I'm good. "Come on....one taste won't hurt you"! Really....or...."You look just fine they way you are, why are you trying to lose weight"?...or....someone sees you eating something that "they" feel you should not be eating and say..."well that defeats all of that exercising you did, dosen't it?" Not realizing that "we've got this" we know our boundaries and limitiations! SMH

People don't get that this is not a "fad"...this is a "lifestyle change", something that I will have to continue to do the rest of my life! Do I eat things that I shouldn't....sometimes....but it's when I want to, not because you tell me that I should! It just truly gets annoying sometimes!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Perhaps it is because MFP is 90/10 F/M?

If you made a similar post on BB.com, would you try to find significance in the gender of those responding?
  • 1Brian1
    1Brian1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose that *kitten*!" and cue (sp?) in the sexual comments that follow right behind (no pun) it. I've always, always, always had this "curse" and what people don't understand is, it's not beneficial, especially when you're looking for jeans that fit and that are flattering, or you're visiting a tailor for your work uniforms because of a certain problem area isn't cooperating. Not only am I "cursed" with an *kitten*, I come with doublewide hips. It's a constant struggle when you're being taped for weigh ins in the service and you're marked as overweight because of an inch here and there. I do a lot of cardio, eat right and look for ways to lose this *kitten*. According to the Navy PRT standards, the PRT coordinator is directed to tape around the largest portion of your *kitten* and that's how your hips are measured. Yeah, you read that right. I challenged the coordinator many times until one of them finally showed me the instruction. So, yeah, I have an *kitten* that'll feed people for centuries or make another celebutante famous. Hey, I'll take this as motivation to keep on doing cardio, because I need all that I can get. Cardio that is. :laugh:

Don't hate your *kitten* so much. If it hasn't already, it'll contribute to countless EPs, LOCs, and NAMs without you having to do very much at all. They'll just fall out of the sky somehow. You should thank your bottom for all the bottomless "job well done"s and the many "big brother"s you'll have at new duty stations.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Calm down. You sound hysterical.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    "Oh come on, one cookie wont hurt and I made these just for you" Food pushers are the worst
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This guy told me I shouldn't lift too heavy because I don't want to get bulky :noway: :grumble:

he's probably just scared I'll end up lifting more than him!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    The only comments that bother me are ones about me being "lucky" or having a fast metabolism. It's usually said with conviction and I don't bother arguing because I just "don't understand". Comments only bother me when I'm in a grumpy mood myself, like if I'm overtired. Most of the time, I can let them go.

Recently I was told by a family member that I really am "crazy" when she saw me weigh my food before dinner. It honestly didn't bother me one bit. It probably helped her to feel better about herself.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    "You don't need to lose anymore weight ... You look fine."
    "Lose anymore and you'll blow away (or shrivel up and die)" --- soooo dramatic & hardly the truth!
    "It's because you only eat 'healthy' now" --- In regards to my wt loss --- "I could do it too if I ate like you." Uhm, ok?
    "Oh, we can't go to that restaurant because they don't have healthy foods you'll eat" --- there are always options.
    Checking out at the store "geez! That's A LOT of fruit and veggies!" --- I don't comment on your chips, candy and soda do I?

Sometimes it's just sheer annoyance that leaves you going whhhhhhy? Hahaha
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I think for me it is the people that say "oh you can't have X or Y on your diet."
    I'm not on a diet. I CAN have X or Y when I feel like it, and when it fits within my macros. I just choose not to sometimes.

People who call me "skinny" or "tiny" crack me up. It sometimes sounds a little condescending. I own a scale and mirrors people. You're not fooling me.
  • maskedbelleza
    Options

Calm down. You sound hysterical.
    You're quite the comedian!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    my number one pet peeve is when SKINNY GIRLS complain about being "FAT." I know that no one is ever 100% happy with their bodies. but i hate it when i'm sitting there, the heaviest one in the room, and the girls i work with are all talking about going shopping for bathing suits and complaining about how their bikinis don't fit just right. When I've only worn a bikini once in my life and probably never will again. Or when they pull at their microscopic tummy 'roll' and complain about how its getting to look like a 'baby bump.' Those girls have never known the struggle of what it is to shop in only plus sized stores/sections, only be able to wear one piece swimsuits, or how it feels to be the one thats sitting there listening about how they've gained so much weight since high school when theyre still a size 2.

Remember, this thread isn't supposed to be about attacks.

These aren't comments directed at you. It IS uncomfortable for most women to gain weight, even if it's healthy or looks fine to others. They're not complaining about themselves to make you feel bad; they're doing it because THEY feel bad. I also am not quite sure how you know their struggles? Do you know if they have an ED, hence their fear of weight gain? Do you know if they've lost weight before you knew them, if you even know them? Do you even know they're a size 2?

Comments, be they rude, passive-aggressive, or just thoughtless, can hurt when directed at you. Here, it sounds like you're not getting personal jibes, but having issues projecting your insecurities onto others.

You can wear a bikini and be beautiful. You can be whatever weight and feel good... but that's on you, not how others view themselves.