"but it would be such a bother to LOG your food"

Options

Replies

• tbolashana
    tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I think she isn't saying logging is bad, but simply saying it's not the only way to lose weight.

I believe logging is important to get a grasp on what you are eating, especially in the beginning. But once you have logged and logged and logged, you kind of get an idea of what you are eating and it may come as second nature to you and logging may not be as important to you.

I used to log a lot, but really don't anymore. I've tried to start up again and again but don't anymore. It gets me a little crazy.

If it works for you, keep on doing that, if not, don't.

Congrats to everyone who is even on this site because it means you care and that is what really counts.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options

My Dr. is actually a member of MFP and it's great on visits.. he will just pull up my food log and make comments or recommendations.

oh thats so awesome! i told my dr about what i was doing back in jan when i first started and had lost about 3 pounds. i would have shown him but i had no wifi. i gotta get him on board.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    After a short while, logging has now become (more or less) second nature. After my daughter was born (now almost 13) I lost a bucket of weight after I started writing everything down each day in a little bitty notebook or on little slips of paper. I got about halfway to goal, then some unfortunate life circumstances kicked in and with one thing and another I stopped logging, stopped tracking and stopped caring. You can guess what happened with my weight.

Nowadays it's even easier since I've got the phone and not whipping out the little notebooks and trying to do math LOL... even when eating out with people it only takes a moment or two and nobody makes a big deal about it (especially me, I don't want to be "that person" preaching about calories when we're supposed to be out spending time together having fun.)

Even when I had a "bad" food day, I try to log it all instead of ignoring it and pretending it didn't happen (my old M.O.). It helps me to own my goof-ups, acknowledge them, and pick back up.
  • kayfrederickschwartz
    Options
    IF YOU CAN'T CHANGE IT = FAIL
    THAT is the truth of it as I see it!!!! This is the most I have ever been able to lose and keep it off this long!!! (after having my stomach removed along with nine foot of intestine - surgery nine years ago) I am 63 years old and in over 50 years I was never able to keep it off !!!
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    if it works for you, great. and yes, i agree with the person that logging is a bother, to me personally, but if it works for you, kudos
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Every time I was successful losing weight in the past I kept track of my calories with paper, pencil and a big thick calorie book. This site makes it sooooo easy!!! I am committed though to the idea that I may have to keep doing this for the rest of my life to stay healthy!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I actually enjoy it...Today is day 671 of logging every meal & snack. Takes no time at all & keeps me honest.
    I know for me, based on my past dieting history & yo yo'ing it back & then some, I would not have lost what I have had I not faithfully logged.

YMMV but for me, it works.
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Definitely! It's worth it to eventually not have to continue to buy in the women's section where apparently short people shouldn't go. I can't wait to get back into the junior section so I don't have to roll up my pants legs.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hubby finally asked me out loud last week "Why are you always putting in all your food on MFP?" When I pointed out to him the calories & macro totals of the pancakes we had for breaky that Sunday (and he only ate 2 instead of 5 - his normal amount) he was pretty shocked, lol. THEN he said, "Well, no wonder I gained 13 lbs over the winter while I was seasonally retired!"
    Now he powers up the computer for me in the morning while I make my breakfast, bwahahahaha!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'm logging all foods for now.
  • eyleene
    eyleene Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If you don't log it, you can't track it. If you can't track it, you can't measure it. If you can't measure it, you can't change it. If you can't change it = fail.

That's just silly.

might be silly to you but seriously this is why i am doing so much better now than i ever have ,

i log everything and dont usually eat dinner until i have seen where i am up to and whats left , otherwise i get lazy and just eat anything thats not moving .

I am a contrary sod and dont like being told what to do plus having a large family to feed means that traditional dieting methods like weight watchers etc just dont fit into my life . MFP is great for me cause it has that flexibility and i can choose my own foods evn if some of it is still crap .
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I've logged for a little over 2 years now. It is just what I do. Helps me stay in check. The phone app helps a lot
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you don't log it, you can't track it. If you can't track it, you can't measure it. If you can't measure it, you can't change it. If you can't change it = fail.

That's just silly.

might be silly to you but seriously this is why i am doing so much better now than i ever have ,

i log everything and dont usually eat dinner until i have seen where i am up to and whats left , otherwise i get lazy and just eat anything thats not moving .

I am a contrary sod and dont like being told what to do plus having a large family to feed means that traditional dieting methods like weight watchers etc just dont fit into my life . MFP is great for me cause it has that flexibility and i can choose my own foods evn if some of it is still crap .

I NEVER said logging was silly. I don't think logging is silly. I know that logging is a great tool for a great many people and believe MFP is a great site.

The post to which I replied that stated not logging = no change is silly. Lots of people change without logging.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    all day e'ry day!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Its a way of life now!!
  • michelle_816
    michelle_816 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    As in the words of McD's commercials, "I'm Lovin' It". Logging that is! I have been at it for 22 days now and I see it as such an asset, not a hindrance, in my journey to eat better and live better!
  • gloriadw41
    gloriadw41 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Right on Sister!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Not too much trouble.

10727914-redbud-wood-log-isolated-on-white.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I don't *need* to log, but I've found it the most efficient and effective way to intentionally manage my weight in the direction and the magnitude in which I want it to go. Even as a relatively fit person at a healthy weight, I found that relying on hunger cues was a remarkably poor indicator and led to less-than-awesome results in either direction depending on which direction I was trying to go at the time.

For those who are actively trying to lose weight, I can't imagine not logging. It seems by far the most effective way to achieve a weight loss goal.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I tried losing without logging and wasn't losing. Logging my day out in the morning let's me know where I will be at, at the end of the day. It allows me to have a guilt free snack. It has also helped me find all of the hidden calories that I wasn't aware of before. It's made a world of difference to me.