Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to restrict sugar intake, --diabetes, for example-- then you don't really need to put yourself through such strict treatment.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Sugar is delish

Eat everything. In moderation. You'll be much happier.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I know there are some people on MFP that are against cutting out something, but for myself, I have no self control and truly believe in sugar addiction. I love sweets. And I can't eat just one cookie here and there. I want to eat it all. I will skip meals to eat sweets. I would also feel the need to eat sweets daily.

**Let me edit and add: when I say refined sugars I mean desserts, sweets, white sugar in my coffee, cokes, ice creams, etc. A bag of chips can sit in my pantry untouched but a bag of m&ms will be gone in a heartbeat. If I eat one sweet thing, I'll immediately want another.

We are very similar in this regard.

As I've gotten to know so many people on this wonderful site, I've come to learn that there are generally three kinds of people when it comes to the refined, processed, sugary stuff: 1.) Those who don't particularly like it and just ignore it by default; 2.) Those who have eaten too much of it in the past but just need to learn to moderate with it, and when they do they have no trouble keeping it at reasonable levels; 3.) Those who have tried to eat at moderate levels for years but find themselves voraciously attacking an entire bag of m&ms if given the opportunity.

With salty snacks, fried foods, and cheesy stuff I fall into category #2.

With the sweets (and I'd add white bread and pasta), I fall into category #3.

This is a hugely unpopular thing to say on these boards, but the solution I found for MYSELF (and I will quickly qualify this by saying this is not for everyone and is a highly personal choice), was to abstain completely from the sweet foods that triggered *me* into overeating. I'm not talking about all sugar - I still ate fruit, honey, maple syrup, jams, and even a little artificial sweetener in yogurt for example. But I stopped eating cookies, cake, cupcakes, ice cream, chocolate bars, sourdough bread, pasta, and many other foods that I just could not control myself with.

I did this in January of 2012 and I continue to do so. For me, it was probably the single most important thing I did in terms of finally losing my 65 lbs and regaining my sanity. I don't miss it one bit. The only time I feel a little squeeze is during the holidays. But I'd much rather forego some pumpkin pie to keep my inner peace.

I have found that some people get very offended when I tell them I did this. I think they believe that if I would just be "stronger", "not so lazy", "more self controlled", and so forth, then I wouldn't have this problem. I disagree. As someone who is on her 801st day of logging every single bite that goes into her mouth, and built up a running regimen from a couch potato to doing 4 miles at almost 7mph now, I am ANYTHING but lazy and not self-controlled. It was a chemical and emotional issue and I dealt with it the way that worked for me.

I mention this because there may be others who have the same problem as me, and I wanted to share my story in case it inspired them to consider it as well. But again - it is NOT a solution for everyone and shouldn't be taken lightly. It's a big sacrifice.

Thanks for posting. I PERSONALLY WANT to make the sacrifice and cut this out. It is a near obsession that I have. I 100% realize the psychology behind my inability to control myself with sweets and I am personally working on that as well. It's not easy. But I want to be a person that can know there are doughnuts in the break room and not obsess over them until they are all gone. Sweets are a trigger for me to overeat and I want to fix that. I know that some people balk at never enjoying a piece of cake again, but I want to be a person that can see that birthday cake and not have a secret desire to go eat the entire thing in a closet by myself haha. I want the have a little or leave it attitude. Thanks for sharing! I appreciate it. It is a highly personal choice. One that is beyond time for me to make for myself. I can not believe the difference it has already made in my body physically in just a short period of time.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I know there are some people on MFP that are against cutting out something, but for myself, I have no self control and truly believe in sugar addiction. I love sweets. And I can't eat just one cookie here and there. I want to eat it all. I will skip meals to eat sweets. I would also feel the need to eat sweets daily.

**Let me edit and add: when I say refined sugars I mean desserts, sweets, white sugar in my coffee, cokes, ice creams, etc. A bag of chips can sit in my pantry untouched but a bag of m&ms will be gone in a heartbeat. If I eat one sweet thing, I'll immediately want another.

As I've gotten to know so many people on this wonderful site, I've come to learn that there are generally three kinds of people when it comes to the refined, processed, sugary stuff: 1.) Those who don't particularly like it and just ignore it by default; 2.) Those who have eaten too much of it in the past but just need to learn to moderate with it, and when they do they have no trouble keeping it at reasonable levels; 3.) Those who have tried to eat at moderate levels for years but find themselves voraciously attacking an entire bag of m&ms if given the opportunity.

This is a hugely unpopular thing to say on these boards, but the solution I found for MYSELF (and I will quickly qualify this by saying this is not for everyone and is a highly personal choice), was to abstain completely from the sweet foods that triggered *me* into overeating. I'm not talking about all sugar - I still ate fruit, honey, maple syrup, jams, and even a little artificial sweetener in yogurt for example. But I stopped eating cookies, cake, cupcakes, ice cream, chocolate bars, sourdough bread, pasta, and many other foods that I just could not control myself with.

I did this in January of 2012 and I continue to do so. For me, it was probably the single most important thing I did in terms of finally losing my 65 lbs and regaining my sanity. I don't miss it one bit. The only time I feel a little squeeze is during the holidays. But I'd much rather forego some pumpkin pie to keep my inner peace.

I have found that some people get very offended when I tell them I did this. I think they believe that if I would just be "stronger", "not so lazy", "more self controlled", and so forth, then I wouldn't have this problem. I disagree. As someone who is on her 801st day of logging every single bite that goes into her mouth, and built up a running regimen from a couch potato to doing 4 miles at almost 7mph now, I am ANYTHING but lazy and not self-controlled. It was a chemical and emotional issue and I dealt with it the way that worked for me.

I mention this because there may be others who have the same problem as me, and I wanted to share my story in case it inspired them to consider it as well. But again - it is NOT a solution for everyone and shouldn't be taken lightly. It's a big sacrifice.

THIS^^^^ All of it. Unless you are a #3, one simply cannot understand. Thank you for speaking up for us 'lazy' and I'll add, 'weak' folks! :flowerforyou:
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Dr LOLstig? So if sugar is not good, is hypoglycemia good?

Bwhaaa... Nice one. Think some of these folks have been OD'ing on pseudo Science.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I always get horrible headaches, moodiness, etc., when detoxing off sugar/carbs. Actually I have finally started back eating good (today is day 1!) and already this afternoon, the headache is kicking in. I expect to have it now a good 3 days, nonstop.

It takes 3-4 days of feeling horrible to detox. Don't give in - sometimes if it's too bad, it's best to do it when you have a few days you can just lay around and not do much of anything. It will pass.

I'm always amazed that by cutting all the 'crud' from my diet how horrible my body responds! Makes you wonder what all that 'crud' does to us when we are eating it on a daily basis.
  • Ninochka77
    Options
    I side with the ones saying 'Don't do this to yourself'.

Sugar is not evil. Too many desserts a little too often is probably not a good idea if you're watching your weight.

Personal experience: I love sweets, and there were times when I 'needed' dessert every day, sometimes more than just once a day. I couldn't go on like this and feel good about myself. So I stopped eating dessert for three weeks (dessert only!). I didn't do it to 'detox', I did it so it would help me enjoy desserts as treats, not as everyday meals.

Maybe you could think about doing something like that, rather than putting your body through something it doesn't need to go through? Just a thought :) Good luck!

Again, personal experience: I was an obese teenager, lost 70 lbs in my late teens and kept them off for 16 years by eating anything and everything, in moderation. I put on 10 lbs by going on the wrong birth control (for me) plus 62 lbs during pregnancy. I have so far lost 50 lbs, slowly, again, by eating everything. I do not log my foods, but I try to 'build' my meals by including different foods (cereals and milk for breakfast; veggies, meat, bread/pasta/rice etc for lunch; fruits/dairy for snacks; veggies and meats for dinner). Lol, the only things I 'insist' on, are: real butter, whole fat dairy, no artificial sweeteners (all personal preference).
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES....I did do all of that and also bawled my eyes out like a person going through any other withdrawal....just keep trudging it does get better and you'll start craving the new foods in no time!!

Oh and PS....you can have dark chocolate in moderation, that will help.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The DETOX from sugar comes from a Dr. Mark Hyman, one of many wellness talking heads on PBS fund-raising shows. He made the claim that sugar is more addictive than cocaine. He outlined a "detox" from sugar that takes 10 days "to get the hormones back into regular behaviors." I have long thought I was addicted to sugars. This idea of sugar addiction came out of a book called "Sugar blues" and also from my Overeaters Anonymous meeting testimonies.

SO I am trying the Dr. Hyman 10-day detox. Mostly a smoothy of seeds/blueberries/cranberries/coconut butter/unsweetened almond milk/lemon juice for breakfast, and chicken, turkey, tofu, and veggies for dinner and lunch. I dropped 5 lbs in a week (255 to 250), and noticed the sugar cravings reduced but were not gone. Posters can ridicule a lack of scientific evidence for a sugar addiction (sugar is sugar is sugar) but I know a monkey on my back when I feel one.

so you detoxed from sugar by drinking a smoothies with sugar (blueberries) in it…

legit detox..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think what the OP means is maybe refined/added sugar. The kind that's addictive and found in fruit juices, chocolate, ice cream, cookies, cake... I've been on a sugar detox a few times (I ate fruit to curb any cravings and avoid sugar crashes). Takes 2 weeks before you don't crave it anymore, but it is totally worth it.

for the love of everything that is holy…NO

you can eat ALL the sugar and be in a calorie deficit and lose weight …

sugar is not evil ….

look up twinkie diet if you do not believe me…

Actually, sugar is not good for you. Here's a well-known lecture, "Sugar: The Bitter Truth." The speaker is Robert H. Lustig, M.D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

You also might want to Google "The Men Who Made Us Fat."

LOL please ..

I eat sugar every day ..just had my annual physical and my cholesterol levels are all in the "normal range" and were bordering on perfect…per my physician …

Also, have consumed sugar and gone from 210 pounds to 173 pounds and 12% body fat…

take you sugar fear mongering somewhere else…

read up on the twinkie diet….but that would probably make your head explode...
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    LOL please ..

I eat sugar every day ..just had my annual physical and my cholesterol levels are all in the "normal range" and were bordering on perfect…per my physician …

Also, have consumed sugar and gone from 210 pounds to 173 pounds and 12% body fat…

take you sugar fear mongering somewhere else…

read up on the twinkie diet….but that would probably make your head explode...

200_s.gif

That is all.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I PERSONALLY WANT to make the sacrifice and cut this out. It is a near obsession that I have. I 100% realize the psychology behind my inability to control myself with sweets and I am personally working on that as well. It's not easy. But I want to be a person that can know there are doughnuts in the break room and not obsess over them until they are all gone. Sweets are a trigger for me to overeat and I want to fix that. I know that some people balk at never enjoying a piece of cake again, but I want to be a person that can see that birthday cake and not have a secret desire to go eat the entire thing in a closet by myself haha. I want the have a little or leave it attitude. Thanks for sharing! I appreciate it. It is a highly personal choice. One that is beyond time for me to make for myself. I can not believe the difference it has already made in my body physically in just a short period of time.

Yeah, I totally get it. The obsession is severe for some people (like myself). You definitely have to work hard on that piece of it, for sure. In other words, you can't just stop eating a particular food or foods and everything just becomes sunshine and roses... you still have to do the emotional work of detaching from unhealthy thinking and behaviors. I had to do this, and continue to do so.

However, for some people like myself, I truly believe I also have some kind of chemical "reaction" in my brain to these foods that isn't normal. The jury is still out on whether that's actually a "thing", but I'm not willing to wait until the scientists figure it out and put their stamp of approval on it. Science is great and all, but I know myself, and I know my reactions and my tendencies. And my M.O. is that if I eat a bite of a cupcake, I will not rest until the rest of that cupcake, and then the box of four cupcakes, is gone.

There is a huge debate on whether or not food can be an "addictive substance", and frankly, I could give two ****es whether or not it actually is. Some people just simply have addictive "tendencies" with it... In other words, they may not have an actual addiction, but the things they think and feel and experience are so similar to one, that it turns out that *treating* the problem like one has been extremely successful for many people.

This is why I, for MYSELF, look at sugary treats as my "alcohol" or whatever. For me, total abstinence has been one of the most effective tools I've wielded for freedom from the obsession, cravings, and ultimately weight gain from overeating. I realize it seems extreme, and if you asked me three years ago if I would (or could) ever do this I would have laughed in your face. But the fact that I went from eating 5-6 desserts a DAY, to having no desserts ever, with zero cravings ever, for 2+ years, just shows me that I personally had a unique problem with sweets.

It might be something to consider, for some people. Not all. Just some.
  • Brandolin11
    Options

THIS^^^^ All of it. Unless you are a #3, one simply cannot understand. Thank you for speaking up for us 'lazy' and I'll add, 'weak' folks! :flowerforyou:

You are so welcome! There are a few of us 3's out there... I keep stumbling across them on here, and always feel better I'm not alone! :)
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not bad for you as long as you stick to your calorie range. I have noticed that foods high in sugar are also higher in calories. For example, I use sugar free coffee creamer because it does have fewer calories than the leaded kind. It's not because I fear sugar, but because I want as many calories as possible. I would also much rather eat a piece of fruit with sugar in it than a candy bar. I will take some rambuten over m&m's any day! Again, both have sugar, both will kill a sweet tooth, but one has fewer calories. Stop looking so much at sugars and look to see the areas where you can lower your calories so you can eat more yummy food through the day. You will still find room for that lovely sugar without putting yourself through the withdraws.
  • JessG11
    Options

Yeah, I totally get it. The obsession is severe for some people (like myself). You definitely have to work hard on that piece of it, for sure. In other words, you can't just stop eating a particular food or foods and everything just becomes sunshine and roses... you still have to do the emotional work of detaching from unhealthy thinking and behaviors. I had to do this, and continue to do so.

However, for some people like myself, I truly believe I also have some kind of chemical "reaction" in my brain to these foods that isn't normal. The jury is still out on whether that's actually a "thing", but I'm not willing to wait until the scientists figure it out and put their stamp of approval on it. Science is great and all, but I know myself, and I know my reactions and my tendencies. And my M.O. is that if I eat a bite of a cupcake, I will not rest until the rest of that cupcake, and then the box of four cupcakes, is gone.

There is a huge debate on whether or not food can be an "addictive substance", and frankly, I could give two ****es whether or not it actually is. Some people just simply have addictive "tendencies" with it... In other words, they may not have an actual addiction, but the things they think and feel and experience are so similar to one, that it turns out that *treating* the problem like one has been extremely successful for many people.

This is why I, for MYSELF, look at sugary treats as my "alcohol" or whatever. For me, total abstinence has been one of the most effective tools I've wielded for freedom from the obsession, cravings, and ultimately weight gain from overeating. I realize it seems extreme, and if you asked me three years ago if I would (or could) ever do this I would have laughed in your face. But the fact that I went from eating 5-6 desserts a DAY, to having no desserts ever, with zero cravings ever, for 2+ years, just shows me that I personally had a unique problem with sweets.

Agree to all of it. I've always said I'd rather have a 6 pack of candy bars than a six pack of beer. I stress eat and my go to is sweets. I'm working on my anxiety and stress and it's absolutely helped with my stress eating. Thanks again for sharing! I want to be able to be in your position two years from now as well. I know I can do it. I know that eventually I'll be able to have something here and there and be fine as long as I'm working on improving my health holistically. Great feedback!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I am starting day three of detox and I am suffering headaches, shaking hands, crankiness and generally want to curl up in a corner and make the world go away.
    I had that when I went hiking after skipping breakfast and forgetting to pack a lunch.

Near the top of the mountain, I essentially had to take food from others because I was getting dangerously light-headed. Not saying it's necessarily hypoglycemia, just that it sound like it.

What's your daily calorie intake?
  • Brandolin11
    Options

Agree to all of it. I've always said I'd rather have a 6 pack of candy bars than a six pack of beer. I stress eat and my go to is sweets. I'm working on my anxiety and stress and it's absolutely helped with my stress eating. Thanks again for sharing! I want to be able to be in your position two years from now as well. I know I can do it. I know that eventually I'll be able to have something here and there and be fine as long as I'm working on improving my health holistically. Great feedback!

You're so welcome! I can't tell you how wonderful life is now that I've tackled my eating issues - the weight was "nice", but the freedom from obsession, craving, and guilt is AMAZING. I wish you ALL the best in your journey toward health. :)
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Think that I'd rather detox from chemicals .. like aspartame than natural products (not that All 'Sugars' are flat out natural ).

We all need to better research what we shove in our bodies!!
  • JessG11
    Options

- the weight was "nice", but the freedom from obsession, craving, and guilt is AMAZING.

This is what I want and this is what is difficult for some to understand.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    To all the people who mocked my earlier post. It must be so nice to be able to eat things in 'moderation' and mock others for not being able to control their diets. As someone else earlier said, I can't just have a piece of cake, I have to eat the whole thing. I can't just eat one penguin biscuit, I have to have the entire pack. In one day, I ate an entire packet of maryland cookies, an entire packet of cadbury's fingers, and an entire family sized profiterole gateau.

The only way I can stop binging on sugar, is to just cut it out. As soon as I have a tiny piece of chocolate, or a boiled sweet, then I just want to eat the entire thing. I've tried moderation, and in the past 2 months I've put on 16lbs. Thank you for your mockery.