Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    To all the people who mocked my earlier post. It must be so nice to be able to eat things in 'moderation' and mock others for not being able to control their diets. As someone else earlier said, I can't just have a piece of cake, I have to eat the whole thing. I can't just eat one penguin biscuit, I have to have the entire pack. In one day, I ate an entire packet of maryland cookies, an entire packet of cadbury's fingers, and an entire family sized profiterole gateau.

The only way I can stop binging on sugar, is to just cut it out. As soon as I have a tiny piece of chocolate, or a boiled sweet, then I just want to eat the entire thing. I've tried moderation, and in the past 2 months I've put on 16lbs. Thank you for your mockery.

It's not sugar that's the problem, because you still eat fruit and whatnot. It's apparently baked goods that are high in both sugar and fat.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    To all the people who mocked my earlier post. It must be so nice to be able to eat things in 'moderation' and mock others for not being able to control their diets. As someone else earlier said, I can't just have a piece of cake, I have to eat the whole thing. I can't just eat one penguin biscuit, I have to have the entire pack. In one day, I ate an entire packet of maryland cookies, an entire packet of cadbury's fingers, and an entire family sized profiterole gateau.

The only way I can stop binging on sugar, is to just cut it out. As soon as I have a tiny piece of chocolate, or a boiled sweet, then I just want to eat the entire thing. I've tried moderation, and in the past 2 months I've put on 16lbs. Thank you for your mockery.

It's not sugar that's the problem, because you still eat fruit and whatnot. It's apparently baked goods that are high in both sugar and fat.

And chocolate, and boiled sweets, marshmallows, hot chocolate. Anything sugary and mostly chocolatey.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options

I am the same.
    I just make sure it fits my macros BEFORE I put it in my basket.
    So, if I've got a few calories left I might go to the shop and buy a swiss roll - but I'll cycle to the shop meaning I earn more.
    I ate an entire vientta earlier, as well as an entire pack of (low fat) burgers and three white rolls. Fitted my macros happily enough.

Cutting it out would make it worse, not better for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sugar can be very evil! If you eat tons of sugar but still have a calorie deficit, yes, you will lose weight. However, sugar is toxic to the body and can cause many severe health problems. It's always a good idea to limit your sugar intake. Telling someone it doesn't matter how much sugar they consume is not a great piece of advice!

I say this only because i'm in pretty good shape and i'm considered to be in my normal weight range - yet i'm prediabetic and i've got high blood pressure. I have both of these conditions partially because even though i keep my calorie intake in check I still consume waay too much sugar. There are many people who would probably lose weight and better their health just by reducing the amount of sugar they consume.

Nobody is saying to eat all the sugar. Just that you can have it in moderation. I think everyone would agree that a diet of all twinkies would be a disaster, but if you have room in your daily calories/macros for a twinkie, and that's what you want, go on and enjoy it.

look up the twinkie diet…

guy lost like 27 pounds and had better cholesterol markers….
  • ndj1979
    Options

And chocolate, and boiled sweets, marshmallows, hot chocolate. Anything sugary and mostly chocolatey.

so you binge on fruit and bread too, right?
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options

I am the same.
    I just make sure it fits my macros BEFORE I put it in my basket.
    So, if I've got a few calories left I might go to the shop and buy a swiss roll - but I'll cycle to the shop meaning I earn more.
    I ate an entire vientta earlier, as well as an entire pack of (low fat) burgers and three white rolls. Fitted my macros happily enough.

Cutting it out would make it worse, not better for me.

geebusuk, I'm happily married, and am too fat to flirt anyway, but I just had to say...Best MFP Profile Pic Ever!
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sugar can be very evil! If you eat tons of sugar but still have a calorie deficit, yes, you will lose weight. However, sugar is toxic to the body and can cause many severe health problems. It's always a good idea to limit your sugar intake. Telling someone it doesn't matter how much sugar they consume is not a great piece of advice!

I say this only because i'm in pretty good shape and i'm considered to be in my normal weight range - yet i'm prediabetic and i've got high blood pressure. I have both of these conditions partially because even though i keep my calorie intake in check I still consume waay too much sugar. There are many people who would probably lose weight and better their health just by reducing the amount of sugar they consume.

Nobody is saying to eat all the sugar. Just that you can have it in moderation. I think everyone would agree that a diet of all twinkies would be a disaster, but if you have room in your daily calories/macros for a twinkie, and that's what you want, go on and enjoy it.

His cholesterol dropped because he lost weight.

If he lived on Twinkies alone for the rest of his life, the nutritional deficiencies of his diet would catch up with him. Even his "Twinkie" diet included more than Twinkies.
  • ndj1979
    Options

His cholesterol dropped because he lost weight.

If he lived on Twinkies alone for the rest of his life, the nutritional deficiencies of his diet would catch up with him. Even his "Twinkie" diet included more than Twinkies.

who knows..

I am just saying it is possible to eat twinkies, lose weight, and have better health markers…someone has actually done it...
  • MrsRatfire
    MrsRatfire Posts: 102
    Options
    Another thing I use in moderation is sugar free twirlers and sugar free gummy fish- or something gummy as they are a favorite of mine. The sugar free tastes just like the regular ones. However, I limit the amount I use as these sugar free candies do to digestive distress in almost ALL people. But I know my limit.

I also bought sugar free taffy once and it was heavenly. Bit expensive- could only find the brand I liked on Amazon. Give yourself time. And do eat fruit to support your system. It has no fat, very low calories and you can buy bags for your freezer. Let it thaw on its own- I love it.

I can't go low carb as my system goes into what is called a "Metabolic Crisis" and I end up in body contractions in which I scream in pain. It also can stop my heart and my liver. So, no carb is no longer a choice for me. I have what is called an FOD, (Fatty Oxidation Disorder). I think any diet that uses fruit for sweetness is going to be so much easier than eliminating it. Especially in the beginning. Pass up the junk, add fruit in regular scheduled intervals. It took me 7 days of having to think about it- by day eight- it was automatic. I have currently finished day 11.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    geebusuk, I'm happily married, and am too fat to flirt anyway, but I just had to say...Best MFP Profile Pic Ever!
    Cheers - and don't worry, I know it's the dog everyone loves...
    It's when relations invite me for a meal with a pointed "and you'll be bringing the dog, yes?"... basically I'm just his 'hanger on' :P.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Another thing I use in moderation is sugar free twirlers and sugar free gummy fish- or something gummy as they are a favorite of mine and the sugar free tastes just like the regular ones. However, I limit the amount I use as these sugar free candies do cause digestive distress in almost ALL people. But I know my limit. I also bought sutra free taffy once and it was heavenly. Bit expensive- could only find the brand I liked on Amazon. Give yourself time. And do eat fruit to support your system. It has no fat, very low calories and you can buy bags for your freezer. Let it thaw on its own- I love it. I can't go low carb as my system goes into what is called a "Metabolic Crisis" and I end up in body contractions in which I scream in pain. It also can stop my heart and my liver. So, no carb is no longer a choice for me. I have what is called an FOD, (Fatty Oxidation Disorder). I think any diet that uses fruit for sweetness is going to be so much easier than eliminating it. Especially in the beginning. Pass up the junk, add fruit in regular scheduled intervals. It took me 7 days of having to think about it- by day eight- it was automatic. I have currently finished day 11.

this is just crazy...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

An apple has more sugar than a donut.

Think hard about what you crave. Is it sugar, or something else?
  • MrsRatfire
    MrsRatfire Posts: 102
    Options
    My dear friend- I know the feeling to post into a public forum and have something like this happen. I have learned to not answer some of them as there comments were to crazy to acknowledge. But when they hit me directly, I reply too. There may be individuals in this group that can add sugar into there schedule, count it up as a calorie and they do not have the back slash most of us would get. Refined sugar and wheat, and prepared foods from the store, rather than cooking, has helped America turn into obese children and obese teenagers- so many MORE than when I was that age. Adults, senior citizens- we are a very fat country!

Sugar is indeed additive, there are many books on it, does everyone remember the book "Sugar Busters" ? The one person who posted the big who cares and anyone can eat sugar as long as it is noted in the diet plan and recorded and accounted for……is one guy in this ocean of many. A twinkie diet? Is he serious? If I bought a box of twinkles to start my plan, I would be lucky to have them last two days. So, ignore that foolishness. Every so often a food based on junk food emerges- it then disappears just as quickly.

Every one and their brother thinks they have a slow metabolism, but they actually do not. A metabolic disorder is life threatening and if you had one, you would be taking care of it or you would be dead. There are exceptions in the world of people who stay pick thin and eat more than you. But these are few and far between. And rarely does it stay with them for a life time.

I thought your post was right on and you gave good advice. There is no diet on the EARTH the recommends processed sugar. You are right in everything you advised- and I congratulate you sincerely for breaking that ball and chain called sugar!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My dear friend- I know the feeling to post into a public forum and have something like this happen. I have learned to not answer some of them as there comments were to crazy to acknowledge. But when they hit me directly, I reply too. There may be individuals in this group that can add sugar into there schedule, count it up as a calorie and they do not have the back slash most of us would get. Refined sugar and wheat, and prepared foods from the store, rather than cooking, has helped America turn into obese children and obese teenagers- so many MORE than when I was that age. Adults, senior citizens- we are a very fat country!

Sugar is indeed additive, there are many books on it, does everyone remember the book "Sugar Busters" ? The one person who posted the big who cares and anyone can eat sugar as long as it is noted in the diet plan and recorded and accounted for……is one guy in this ocean of many. A twinkie diet? Is he serious? If I bought a box of twinkles to start my plan, I would be lucky to have them last two days. So, ignore that foolishness. Every so often a food based on junk food emerges- it then disappears just as quickly.

Every one and their brother thinks they have a slow metabolism, but they actually do not. A metabolic disorder is life threatening and if you had one, you would be taking care of it or you would be dead. There are exceptions in the world of people who stay pick thin and eat more than you. But these are few and far between. And rarely does it stay with them for a life time.

I thought your post was right on and you gave good advice. There is no diet on the EARTH the recommends processed sugar. You are right in everything you advised- and I congratulate you sincerely for breaking that ball and chain called sugar!

:huh:
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Yeah, lost me too.
  • ndj1979
    Options

wonderland called, you can come home now….
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Yeah, lost me too.

I don't even know what to say at this point.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit but I gave up sugar months ago. I also believe that sugar has a very differnt affect than fruit has on me. I dont get jittery from fruit like I did from sugar. I feel better. It works for me. Some people moderation works for them. I also gave up caffeine annd feel way better.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yeah, lost me too.

I don't even know what to say at this point.

funny-gifs-norway.gif?w=467&h=396