Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• conquertheself
    conquertheself Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh no you need fruit! Its natural and good sugar it wont hurt, your body needs the vitamins and minerals fruit has!
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Oh no you need fruit! Its natural and good sugar it wont hurt, your body needs the vitamins and minerals fruit has!

Good sugar? Sugar is just sugar... :huh:
  • ToogieTuesday
    Options
    Really its a bad idea to cut out an entire food group, even sugar. Sounds to me, by the symptoms you described, your blood sugar dropped pretty low. Dangerous.

I agree completely! Sounds dangerous. Healthy sugar is fine... your body needs it to convert to fuel.

Here's an animation that can help shed some light on the subject. Or if in doubt just google "why does my body need sugar?" Always inform before you preform ;)

http://www.sharecare.com/health/carbohydrates/does-my-body-need-sugar
  • sandyjopeters
    sandyjopeters Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I start mine tomorrow. I'm sure I will have a similar reaction. However, I have secure a Registered Dietitian that is into Metabolic typing. She tells me that the correct combination of foods can keep you from having withdrawal. I'll come back in three days and let you know.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    OP are you doing the I Quit Sugar program? http://www.iquitsugar.com/8-week-program/

Some of the girls in my office did this and lost quite a bit of weight and reported feeling a lot better, more alert, healthier etc etc. I think it did take them a week or so to go through the withdrawal stage though so stick with it. I believe from what I read and what they told me that you quit even fruit for the first few days to reset the body to not crave it so much.

There are also some "healthier" ie lower GI sugars available such as rapadura (unprocessed cane sugar), coconut sugar, xylitol (made from birch sap but super super sweet), stevia, and others I can't remember off the top of my head.

There is also a book available called Don't Quit Sugar which goes into detail why sugar is important for our systems http://www.hachette.com.au/books/9780733632099/
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    If you decide to use xylitol, keep it away from any pets you may own. I don't know about cats, but even a stick of sugar-free gum can kill a dog.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

You know what they meant... :frown:

no, I don't….
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    To all the people who mocked my earlier post. It must be so nice to be able to eat things in 'moderation' and mock others for not being able to control their diets. As someone else earlier said, I can't just have a piece of cake, I have to eat the whole thing. I can't just eat one penguin biscuit, I have to have the entire pack. In one day, I ate an entire packet of maryland cookies, an entire packet of cadbury's fingers, and an entire family sized profiterole gateau.

The only way I can stop binging on sugar, is to just cut it out. As soon as I have a tiny piece of chocolate, or a boiled sweet, then I just want to eat the entire thing. I've tried moderation, and in the past 2 months I've put on 16lbs. Thank you for your mockery.

This used to be me but since I cut out almost all refined sugar from my diet I don't crave the sweet stuff hardly at all. Moderation works well for some people but judging by all the treads that pop up from time to time about bingeing it clearly doesn't work for everyone. Moderation only works for foods that aren't triggers. I definately like my sugar better when there is fat involved such as in chocolate, cake and dairy. Sugary lollies don't do it for me at all. By "detoxing" from sugar, you will eventually get to that place where it is not as much of a trigger as it used to be, just stick at it and ignore the mockers and haters because they don't matter.
  • nikkihk
    Options

You know what they meant... :frown:

no, I don't….

Yes, please explain.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    To all the people who mocked my earlier post. It must be so nice to be able to eat things in 'moderation' and mock others for not being able to control their diets. As someone else earlier said, I can't just have a piece of cake, I have to eat the whole thing. I can't just eat one penguin biscuit, I have to have the entire pack. In one day, I ate an entire packet of maryland cookies, an entire packet of cadbury's fingers, and an entire family sized profiterole gateau.

The only way I can stop binging on sugar, is to just cut it out. As soon as I have a tiny piece of chocolate, or a boiled sweet, then I just want to eat the entire thing. I've tried moderation, and in the past 2 months I've put on 16lbs. Thank you for your mockery.

This used to be me but since I cut out almost all refined sugar from my diet I don't crave the sweet stuff hardly at all. Moderation works well for some people but judging by all the treads that pop up from time to time about bingeing it clearly doesn't work for everyone. Moderation only works for foods that aren't triggers. I definately like my sugar better when there is fat involved such as in chocolate, cake and dairy. Sugary lollies don't do it for me at all. By "detoxing" from sugar, you will eventually get to that place where it is not as much of a trigger as it used to be, just stick at it and ignore the mockers and haters because they don't matter.
    709.gif
  • nikkihk
    Options

709.gif

NO NO!!! Don't walk into the light!!! Stay away from the light!!!!

zeldar.jpg
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I just never understand why? What exactly is the point of 'detoxing' from sugar? It's not addictive. It's not cocaine. It's not 'bad' for you. Maybe you just like it a lot & sometimes struggle to control yourself, but just like anything else, you can keep eating it in moderation, still lose weight, AND be healthy.

I put flavored coffee creamer in my morning coffee. I eat a cookie when they get brought to seminars & meetings. I have an ice cream sandwich every night for dessert. I have a few pieces of candy. I go out for froyo. Sometimes I do all these things in the same day. It's OKAY. Normal consumption of sugar won't kill you. And you're NOT addicted to it.

I understand that people have 'trigger' foods that are especially difficult to keep from binging on. So do I. But just because I can't keep myself from eating an entire jar of Nutella when it's in the cupboard doesn't mean I can't control myself around other sweet things. You just need to find what works for you WITHOUT cutting out entire food groups & 100% restricting yourself. So you can't handle cake? Okay. Don't buy cake. Buy a Snickers bar. Buy a single serve container of ice cream. Buy one of those Nutella snack cups. Then you can eat the whole thing and not feel guilty about it. It's literally just about changing habits & making things work for you without being miserable & deprived of all that's good in the world.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Why do people who have eliminated refined sugars from their diet always talk like they've joined a cult?

ETA: the post right above mine is perfection. Eliminate trigger foods by all means. But removing sugar entirely is unrealistic and unsustainable.
  • nikkihk
    Options
    I just never understand why? What exactly is the point of 'detoxing' from sugar? It's not addictive. It's not cocaine. It's not 'bad' for you. Maybe you just like it a lot & sometimes struggle to control yourself, but just like anything else, you can keep eating it in moderation, still lose weight, AND be healthy.

I put flavored coffee creamer in my morning coffee. I eat a cookie when they get brought to seminars & meetings. I have an ice cream sandwich every night for dessert. I have a few pieces of candy. I go out for froyo. Sometimes I do all these things in the same day. It's OKAY. Normal consumption of sugar won't kill you. And you're NOT addicted to it.

I understand that people have 'trigger' foods that are especially difficult to keep from binging on. So do I. But just because I can't keep myself from eating an entire jar of Nutella when it's in the cupboard doesn't mean I can't control myself around other sweet things. You just need to find what works for you WITHOUT cutting out entire food groups & 100% restricting yourself. So you can't handle cake? Okay. Don't buy cake. Buy a Snickers bar. Buy a single serve container of ice cream. Buy one of those Nutella snack cups. Then you can eat the whole thing and not feel guilty about it. It's literally just about changing habits & making things work. Be optimistic and TRY.

the-rock-slow-clap.gif
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Next time, eat the orange, don't drink it.
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    Next time, eat the orange, don't drink it.

Yikes, please don't tell people to eat me! :grumble:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Sugar is indeed additive, there are many books on it,
    There are many books on how a magical being in the sky (a different one to one you believe in, if you do) is the one and true god.
    Must be correct.
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Damn - I thought this was like a 'juice detox', where you had loads of sugary stuff to 'detox' :).

Seeing that most carbs will be converted in to a glucose (a sugar!), I wouldn't be wanting to try and 'detox' from them :?.

If your body finds it toxic, you've got massive issues.

This :)
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Anyone else start with trying to detox your body from sugar? I am starting day three of detox and I am suffering headaches, shaking hands, crankiness and generally want to curl up in a corner and make the world go away.

I did first two days strict, not even fruit or juices but I woke up this morning and couldn't handle it so I drank 8oz of fresh orange juice. I am feeling a little better now, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that.

I guess I am just rambling, but I would love to find others in this situation.

Straight orange juice is like the worst thing you can drink if you're trying to eat less sugar. It's practically pure sugar. Next time, eat a piece of fruit, say, an apple.

Weeeel, it depends. There are juices that are 50% added sugar, 30% water, 20% fruit.

But an orange juice 100% fruit? What's wrong with that? If I eat OR drink my orange, it is the same.