Who made you become overweight?

Options

Replies

• TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    Haha so me because my family and friends are skinny.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    After careful consideration, I still blame it on my kids.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't put blame on my parents. But I grew up in the 80's in a household I thought was pretty typical...Lunchables and Little Debbie and Pizza Hut or Red Lobster. All of the sugar, salt & fat was what I was accustomed to. A lot of my friends ate the same way and were skinny, but I was always chubby. So that impacted me -- I felt like I was somehow in the wrong for getting fat off the same Hot Pockets and Snickers that didn't affect my friends, and I assumed it was genetic. Ha. By the time I hit my teens those habits were in place and add to that being very sedentary, preferring to read or draw over sports or other active hobbies...that's how I became very overweight.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I once heard a comedian say your parents don’t just know where your buttons are they installed them.

Food issues don’t just run in my family…they go at warp speed. I have never known my mother to not be on a diet. Food has always been reward or punishment. All of my siblings have issues with food, one has anorexia the rest of us struggle with over eating.

Having spent some time with my Grandmother as an adult I know exactly where it came from…but it all has to stop somewhere for each of us. My sister seems to have raised 4 healthy kids who don’t have the same issues so that’s amazing. It’s easy to blame your parents but often they were doing the best that they could do at the time.

It doesn’t matter who or why, I need to be responsible for my life and health. I have lost one sibling and I don’t plan on being next.
  • JeanieBean1074
    Options
    Being overweight as a child I could say that my parents are mostly responsible for the crap that I consumed.

But now as an adult, I am 100% responsible for my health and weight.
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think my mom being a single parent and working nights contributed. I became less active because my sister and I couldn't go outside and play while she was sleep. I wasn't too involved in school activities because I wouldn't have a way home. I'm also an introvert so I would watch tv or get on the computer when I wasn't at school.

I ate a lot and sometimes just out of boredom. I knew nothing about calories or how to lose weight.

I, too, was raised by a single mom. She didn't work nights, but I was a latch-key kid and not allowed to go out until she got home. Of course, by then, it was dinner time and in the winter, it was dark. I ate a lot out of boredom. I'm also an emotional eater. I come from an Italian family, when you're sad, you eat...when you're happy, you eat...when it's Tuesday, you eat. I'm working on it, but it's hard to break a lifetime habit.
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Other people certainly trigger me, especially when I feel I havent asserted myself.
    but its me who I think is to blame.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Me? Though I think some of it was due to the mentality of "eat everything on your plate" from my grandparents. They weren't mean about it or anything, I was just always an eager to please child. My parents never required this, only that we finish whatever vegetable was on our plate. To this day I feel guilty if I don't eat everything I'm given, though doggie bags help assuage some of that b/c I can eat it later (though then I feel guilty for using styrofoam containers!)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The blame game is outdated, old, and ever so tired!
  • ImmortalThanos
    ImmortalThanos Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There were multiple factors that lead to me being obese. As a child, I grew up in a typical southern home. The nutritional aspects of the food in our home weren't the best. By first grade, I'd become "husky" as they liked to call it in the '80s. Add on top of that an abusive father and stress eating to swallow my feelings... you get the idea.

By college, I was a big boy. Becoming an EMT with an ambulance company only made it worse. Long sleepless nights, eating on the road... my weight skyrocketed. After five years of that life, I transitioned into banking and finance. That put me behind a desk. The inactivity sealed the deal. At my biggest, I was 340 pounds.

Last year, I finally decided enough was enough. Here I am today at 306. My goal is to just make it to 300 by September, then make a new goal.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I obviously know that ultimately I put the food in my mouth. So obviously me

But do you think that your childhood homelife and parents contribute to you being overweight as you get older? Like when you see a fat child ? Or parents who aren't educated in what and how to cook?

Or maybe partners who eat badly? Or do you just think its all your fault for eating too much?

Just curious:)
    I think its a bad idea to start doing the "blame game" and deny personal responsibility.
  • Coltsforlife
    Coltsforlife Posts: 124
    Options
    me myself and I ! Depression, beer and eating when depressed don't help !
  • Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    Me. Simple.

I don't expect anyone to listen to my excuses and I don't have time to tell them to myself either.
  • gnzlsg
    gnzlsg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    really....

as a child if your parents allow you to eat whatever, whenever they have to take some responsibilty for that but once you can make the choices yourself...then no it's all you...

My mom was a great cook and we were poor so I was a slim child...continued to be slim until I could make my own choices then I got fat...and stayed fat...

That is all on me...

As for your partners...unless they are force feeding you it's still on you...

Trying to blame others for your choices is not taking responsibility for your own behaviour..which is imho childish...
  • menojy
    menojy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My weight was normal up until I was 7 , my uncle at the time got very sick and my mum was out most of the days .. when you're that young you can't really know how to eat healthy, I just ate out of the fridge, a lot of rice over six months and I found myself already chubby ! when my mum got back home after that she tried to make me lose weight but I was a child and I felt that I am punished, I was the only one who is not allowed to eat want I want and everyone around me is eating what they want !
    Until then I really can't stop blaming my parents ...
    when I was 15 I decided to lose weight in a healthy way, I lost about 12 kg in 4 months which was amazing but I gained it all back an more over a period of 6 years, NOW THAT was honestly my fault !
    when I became 21 with 97 kgs (216 lbs) I realized there is something wrong and I began to put the possibility that I might be a food addict and I began to change my life style .
    I still ask myself though, if my mum had never neglected me and left for my sick uncle would any of that had happened ?
  • gnzlsg
    Options
    really....

as a child if your parents allow you to eat whatever, whenever they have to take some responsibilty for that but once you can make the choices yourself...then no it's all you...

My mom was a great cook and we were poor so I was a slim child...continued to be slim until I could make my own choices then I got fat...and stayed fat...

That is all on me...

As for your partners...unless they are force feeding you it's still on you...

Trying to blame others for your choices is not taking responsibility for your own behaviour..which is imho childish...

I love your explanation and outlook.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    someone just looked at me with their eye and i swelled up like a balloon
  • kdbnmd
    kdbnmd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ronald mcdonald and the taco bell dog
  • gnzlsg
    Options
    I take FULL responsibility

Perfect reply :)
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Me. Eating what I wanted and laying on the couch and drinking beer=fat *kitten*.