Thinking about joining Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    can I come too????

we don't have one near here or I would be joining you...

I suspect it would take me all of 20mins..when I got to my Deadlifts...
  • 145fit
    145fit Posts: 7
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness because as a Widow and Single Mom its what I can afford. The stories are myths. The people at the one I go to are kind and encouraging.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of checking out the local Planet Fitness one day...not really knowing what it was about. There was a bowl of candies at the front desk and no barbells. O.O
  • kharral86
    kharral86 Posts: 63
    Options
    Ive been going to planet fitness for 3 months. I have yet to see or hear of anything ridiculous happen. I actually enjoy going. Ive lost 33lbs so far. Maybe im lucky and my gym is normal with normal employees and normal people. *shrug* :)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    you know I was discussing this with my husband and boy am I glad he's not on these forums...he would get kick off here faster than any of us would out of planet fitness...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If I knew you, I'd bet you the $10 that nothing would happen unless you were making a major effort to f'k with them. I'm no fan of PF, but they have hundreds of gyms and they're doing pretty well. My guess is most of their gyms don't go out of their way to piss on members.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    $10 down, $10 a month, I wish I lived near a planet fitness.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I am a member. Its $10 a month and fairly easy to ignore the tootsie rolls and free pizza once a month. Facilities are clean. No lines for the equipment. I dare say most gringas are there for the tanning.

It's better than the Anytime Fitness ($45/month) I was a member of who pushed 400 calorie "health" smoothies daily and had "lunk" type employees roaming around "encouraging" people to "push it! push it! push it!"

But I have never heard the lunk alarm and everyone, employees included, seem to be in on the joke. Weight lifters are left to do their thing without harassment or condescension.

Both places had questionable "trainers."

They all have their ups and downs.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    It sounds like some managers or franchise owners on a power trip. There are a lot of members who speak for and against PF. After reading several of these stories, and having a person on my friends list deal with PF, it seems to be individual locations. The franchise picks and chooses which rules to enforce and with who.

The last one with the girl dying is strange. Why not call 911 right away if you refuse to go in there? Or if the guy refuses to do anything why didn't the other members call right away? Seems odd, unless I misread the timeline. If the employees didn't seem responsive I would have grabbed a phone and called.

I think corporate needs to get some consistancy with their franchisees. Also, wardrobe seems to be a huge issue so why not corporate uniforms? Make them buy a PF shirt and shorts/pants when they join? It'd be one way to keep the consistency throughout.

YouFit is also $10/month and I have heard nothing but good about them, aside from their color scheme...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    well number one they are not a gym...

Gym allows deadlifts...they are a fitness centre.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    can I come too????

we don't have one near here or I would be joining you...

I suspect it would take me all of 20mins..when I got to my Deadlifts...
    I'm thinking they might turn me away at the door... I like to wear yoga pants, sports bra, headband, and a cut up/side slit wrestling Tee.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    well number one they are not a gym...

Gym allows deadlifts...they are a fitness centre.
    I don't get it, what's wrong with a deadlift? why is it "prohibited" at PF??
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Everyone craps on Planet Fitness but let's remember that they target the very crybaby complainers I don't want at my gym.

My gym doesn't have lifting platforms because there's "no space" but there's a women-only section for those who are too scared to use a treadmill with the general population. We need more Planet Fitness.
  • ChriJMitch
    ChriJMitch Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you can tolerate the loads d-bags hogging the gym equipment, it might be worth it for just $10 month.

I'm at the point in my fitness routine where I will outgrow the barbell racks (they only go up to 65lbs) within 6 months, but I joined knowing full well what I was about to deal with. 5 months there so far, and it is serving its purpose. Just remember you don't have to stay there forever (no cancellation fees). I kind of just grit my teeth and deal with it. My wallet has been thankful thus far.

Oh and as far as clothing goes, I wear fully cutoff t-shirt or tanks, and I have zero problems.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    planetfitnessnono-vi.jpg

wore this the other day at the gym. all I kept thinking is how I woulda been kicked out of a PF immediately.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym that's $10 a month. And it has all the weights (barbells and everything). So PF doesn't have a monopoly on really good prices.

OP - I'd join you, but I'd probably get kicked out first day. I wear a bandana on my head and a tank top every workout. If that didn't do it, they'd probably sound the lunk alarm with my first bench press or RDL. Assuming they have an Oly bar there to even try it with?
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Everyone craps on Planet Fitness but let's remember that they target the very crybaby complainers I don't want at my gym.

My gym doesn't have lifting platforms because there's "no space" but there's a women-only section for those who are too scared to use a treadmill with the general population. We need more Planet Fitness.

haha great point!
  • jshute71
    jshute71 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I workout at PF and never had a problem. I really enjoy going....:smile:
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I get that Planet Fitness isn't going to meet the needs of everyone. But it works for me and seemingly lots of other people. And at $10 a month, the savings are substantial. 50 pounds gone and maintained for almost 2 years.

Maybe you could just be happy that it's helping others reach their health and fitness goals and find a gym that's a better fit for you?
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym that's $10 a month. And it has all the weights (barbells and everything). So PF doesn't have a monopoly on really good prices.

OP - I'd join you, but I'd probably get kicked out first day. I wear a bandana on my head and a tank top every workout. If that didn't do it, they'd probably sound the lunk alarm with my first bench press or RDL. Assuming they have an Oly bar there to even try it with?
    if it involves weight lifting they most likely don't have it....cause you don't want to be bulky do you? "sigh"