Thinking about joining Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I wanna go to see if this workout outfit that I wear will get my fat butt kicked out... or if it's just the toned folks.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I like to lift heavy, work hard, proud of my accomplishments like you all and wouldn't join a gym without being able to squat and deadlift. But I still don't see the point of this ridiculous thread, besides some people making themselves look like idiots.

"Think I'll sign up and see how fast I get kicked out" "I'll put on my bad *kitten* bandana and get kicked out with you" "Stay at Planet "no gainz" so more weights for me, BRAH" "Getting a gift to help change your lifestyle and help you get healthy is like getting coal in your stocking" Really?

*shakes head, ponders what is wrong with people, why they care about something that doesn't matter to them, drinks sip of water, and realize some people just can't help looking like fools.*

Just go do you and worry about stuff that actually matters to you.

ironic post is ironic...

*shakes head and wonders why this posters 2nd post would be bashing people for making posts about things that don't matter to them when what we do shouldn't matter to this poster*
  • DianaGabriela2013
    DianaGabriela2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I get that Planet Fitness isn't going to meet the needs of everyone. But it works for me and seemingly lots of other people. And at $10 a month, the savings are substantial. 50 pounds gone and maintained for almost 2 years.

Maybe you could just be happy that it's helping others reach their health and fitness goals and find a gym that's a better fit for you?

I don't go to any gym. But I like what you said. ^ Do what is good for you and leave everyone else alone.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness because as a Widow and Single Mom its what I can afford. The stories are myths. The people at the one I go to are kind and encouraging.

I get you, mom. The "fitness snobs" (those people with credit cards who can afford $200.00 a month for a gym membership) sometimes irk me. I don't dislike them at all but they don't understand about not being able to spend what I don't have.

I have no problem with Planet Fitness because it suits my budget and my fitness needs for now. If I ever outgrow the Planet, well, I will cross that bridge when I get there. My Planet is in the heart of ghetto and although there are some hootchie and honchos, it's not a bad place.

Get your bells, get your bars and your bench and do the best with what you have.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Look at it from an economic perspective - at $10 a person per month, they are volume oriented, and therefore no single member is critical to retain, they don't rely on loyalty. A few will quit when they ding them on their ticky-tack little rule infractions, but most won't, because it isn't the budget to go to a gym that is $20, 30, 40 + that provides you with the freedom to wear do-rags, grunt, powerlift, etc.

I am completely generic and low key when I go into a gym, I don't socialize, grunt, wear goofy clothes, attempt to set world deadlift records, etc., so I would probably join a Planet Fitness if there was one in my area because a month's membership is probably going to be cheaper than my dinner bill tonight.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    not a gym for everyone?

Not a gym at all! lol.

Thats what the comercial says and it applies
    indeed- indeed-indeed.
    the thing that i object to is that fact that a 10 a month gym can only be sustainable if a large percentage of the people NEVER go, or almost never go.

I'm pretty sure there's something built in to the business model that ultimately discourages attendance.

or maybe its just the fact that it is ten dollars and this will attract some of those on the fringe of being dedicated shall we say. they come for a month, then stop with intentions of continuing, never make it back, but 10 bucks a month doesn't smart so bad.

they got my dad like that.

I guess i don't like the fact that the success ultimate hinges on the majority of members failing

I'm always curious to what happens when someone over weight and unhealthy becomes a star athlete or bikini model at their gym- do they kick them out after possibly years of dedicated membership?

it's a beautiful marketing plan- the whole 10$ thing it's easily over looked when monthly bills come around and people see things that need to be cut- it's just not a big $ that will jump out at people- so that in and of itself is a nice thing.

clearly they are doing something that works- or they wouldn't still be in business- but its' sad it's whole reputation is built on mocking other people.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    wow, I think I'll throw eggs at the next planet fitness i see. :noway: :grumble: :mad: :frown:
  • niclsarios
    niclsarios Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to lift heavy, work hard, proud of my accomplishments like you all and wouldn't join a gym without being able to squat and deadlift. But I still don't see the point of this ridiculous thread, besides some people making themselves look like idiots.

"Think I'll sign up and see how fast I get kicked out" "I'll put on my bad *kitten* bandana and get kicked out with you" "Stay at Planet "no gainz" so more weights for me, BRAH" "Getting a gift to help change your lifestyle and help you get healthy is like getting coal in your stocking" Really?

*shakes head, ponders what is wrong with people, why they care about something that doesn't matter to them, drinks sip of water, and realize some people just can't help looking like fools.*

read the whole thread..some of those responses were responding to people saying anyone that does not go to PF and lifts heavy is an Ahole by default...

but way to cherry pick with zero contex....

Apologies, you're right, my using your Planet "no gainz" quote was cherry picking. And I don't agree with the person who says people who lift heavy can be A-holes.

My thing is let people chose their own path, regardless if you (not you in particular) think it's wrong. I think it is awesome the amount of success a lot of people have had on here. BUT the success of someone lifting heavy to obtain their goals in no different than the success of someone who used the treadmill and leg extension machine to reach theirs.

The OP probably thought this was gonna be hilarious, but come on, isn't this played out already?
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

read the whole thread..some of those responses were responding to people saying anyone that does not go to PF and lifts heavy is an Ahole by default...

I suppose what bothers me is the hard line between the two camps. I've been to Gold's Gym before and the folks there were great. I went with a friend of mine who felt nervous going alone. Turned out just fine. Now over a decade later, my wife goes to Planet Fitness and I decide to join her. I get in free as a guest whenever I go with her so that's a win. I have no idea what I'm doing with weights and both patrons and staff have been very helpful. Why can't you be serious about fitness and go to either one? There are some muscle bound dudes in the Planet Fitness I go to. I guess it is the absolutes and generalities that bother me.

edited because the way I structured one of the sentences made it read funny
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness because as a Widow and Single Mom its what I can afford. The stories are myths. The people at the one I go to are kind and encouraging.

I get you, mom. The "fitness snobs" (those people with credit cards who can afford $200.00 a month for a gym membership) sometimes irk me. I don't dislike them at all but they don't understand about not being able to spend what I don't have.

I have no problem with Planet Fitness because it suits my budget and my fitness needs for now. If I ever outgrow the Planet, well, I will cross that bridge when I get there. My Planet is in the heart of ghetto and although there are some hootchie and honchos, it's not a bad place.

Get your bells, get your bars and your bench and do the best with what you have.

I refuse to pay anything for a gym membership...this isn't about being a "fitness snob" because I can pay 100$ a month (which is what I would have to pay if I joined the local 24hour gym)...I will continue to workout at home and spend the money on equipment at home....so what about those who can't even afford 10$ a month..does that make you the fitness snob????

I don't remember seeing anyone here slamming this poster or any poster for going to that gym..."we" are slamming the fitness center because of their rules...the only slamming done are PF members slamming those who well think PF needs to rethink what they are doing with the "clothing rules" etc...
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    are they geared toward serious lifters? maybe not.

are they marketing geniuses? definitely.

can some people get a great workout there? certainly.

going to pf beats sittin on a couch.

are they the cheapest? no. i go to golds...$10/mo.

PF is the nickelback of gyms...it's just trendy to hate it.

Brilliant! BTW, since when does Gold's cost $10.00 a month? Where have I been?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I suppose what bothers me is the hard line between the two camps. I've been to Gold's Gym before and the folks there were great. I went with a friend of mine who felt nervous going alone. Turned out just fine. Now my wife goes to Planet Fitness and over a decade later, I decide to join her. I get in free as a guest whenever I go with her so that's a win. I have no idea what I'm doing with weights and both patrons and staff have been very helpful. Why can't you be serious about fitness and go to either one? There are some muscle bound dudes in the Planet Fitness I go to. I guess it is the absolutes and generalities that bother me.

I get that Planet Fitness isn't going to meet the needs of everyone. But it works for me and seemingly lots of other people. And at $10 a month, the savings are substantial. 50 pounds gone and maintained for almost 2 years.

Maybe you could just be happy that it's helping others reach their health and fitness goals and find a gym that's a better fit for you?

I don't go to any gym. But I like what you said. ^ Do what is good for you and leave everyone else alone.

I'm going to stick with this, too many people are missing the forest for the trees...

If PF's marketing practice wasn't to caricaturize individuals who take their training seriously and call them a lunk: a dull or stupid person; blockhead....an awkward, heavy, or stupid person; while calling themselves a "judgment free zone"...they'd catch far less hell here.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I suppose what bothers me is the hard line between the two camps. I've been to Gold's Gym before and the folks there were great. I went with a friend of mine who felt nervous going alone. Turned out just fine. Now my wife goes to Planet Fitness and over a decade later, I decide to join her. I get in free as a guest whenever I go with her so that's a win. I have no idea what I'm doing with weights and both patrons and staff have been very helpful. Why can't you be serious about fitness and go to either one? There are some muscle bound dudes in the Planet Fitness I go to. I guess it is the absolutes and generalities that bother me.

I'm going to stick with this, too many people are missing the forest for the trees...

If PF's marketing practice wasn't to caricaturize individuals who take their training seriously and call them a lunk: a dull or stupid person; blockhead....an awkward, heavy, or stupid person; while calling themselves a "judgment free zone"...they'd catch far less hell here.

x2
  • Saphira291
    Saphira291 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had some issues with planet fitness when it came to billing and their customer service that dealt with that. The gym itself was alright, really nothing special imo. I was on the $20 a month plan that they had but never used any of the perks so it ended up being a waste. Was locked in for a year which ended up being a problem when my car broke down and I couldn't get there anymore cause it was like 10 miles away from me.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    the thing that i object to is that fact that a 10 a month gym can only be sustainable if a large percentage of the people NEVER go, or almost never go.

Is that a fact though? The gym I go to is $10/month. I believe it is a small business, and not any kind of franchise as I've never seen or heard of another one. There is a sign up fee, and also a yearly "maintenance fee" but that is pretty common.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

Is that a fact though? The gym I go to is $10/month. I believe it is a small business, and not any kind of franchise as I've never seen or heard of another one. There is a sign up fee, and also a yearly "maintenance fee" but that is pretty common.

I only know two things to be facts:

-if all the new faces i saw every New Years kept coming, you couldn't possible cram everyone into the gym. Its approaching that state every NY anyway.

-they hassle you when you try to end your membership and probably have an additional charge (but i'm just talking out of my butt on the extra charge lol)
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    that, and i got to be pretty good friends with one of the managers at one of the local PFs

what i said in that first post was pretty much word for word what he said to me. He didn't say it would not be sustainable if everyone came (thats just obvious), but he did say that he wanted there money and did not want to see them in the gym
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    when i first started going, it wasn't that bad.

They didn't have a squat rack, and thats bad enough.

but then they took out one of only two flat benches and deleted the only incline bench.

plus a gym with only two olypmic bars is just laughable, i'm sorry. and good luck finding the other one, i swear to god they hide it lol.

still better then nothing or driving 30 min in the opposite direction from home, which are the alternatives

buy a rig from roguefitness.com and everything ships free! i can dream