Replies

• poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Aren't there more important issues to become indignant about?:ohwell:
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've been going to PF for about a year. It's close, cheap and open 24 / 7. So far I have yet to see anyone get tossed or even spoken to. I'm also usually ther around 4AM so maybe no one casre at that time of the morning. I don't partake in their candy, doughuts or pizza I'm just there to use teh treadmill and gat home in time for work.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    well number one they are not a gym...

Gym allows deadlifts...they are a fitness centre.

Mine allows deadlifts. I've never heard the lunk alarm, when clearly from what people say about them, I should have by now. And this is just another thread showing that not all PFs are the same. I go because it was a Christmas gift, but from the experience I've had at mine, if I haven't outgrown the weights by the end of my year, I'll probably renew it for another year. What happened to that girl in the last story shouldn't have happened, no matter where it was.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I get that Planet Fitness isn't going to meet the needs of everyone. But it works for me and seemingly lots of other people. And at $10 a month, the savings are substantial. 50 pounds gone and maintained for almost 2 years.

Maybe you could just be happy that it's helping others reach their health and fitness goals and find a gym that's a better fit for you?

Honestly, if PF's marketing practice wasn't to caricaturize individuals who take their training seriously and call them a lunk: a dull or stupid person; blockhead....an awkward, heavy, or stupid person; while calling themselves a "judgment free zone"...they'd catch far less hell here.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    If I recall correctly, I believe they have "pizza night" monthly.

I'll pass.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    dd31d39945c6baecd53896ab663a5044.jpg

^ THIS IS THE BEST!!
  • Reese2004
    Options
    I have been going to PF for about a month now and I actually enjoy it. There probably are other locations that people have problems with, but the one I go to is great!! I used to get intimidated at other gyms being "new" and all, but at PF, I can just go in, do my thing, and leave. I love it! And as for the pizza and candy, it's called self-control. Just bc they have it doesn't mean you have to eat it.
  • rworton
    rworton Posts: 28
    Options
    I like Planet Fitness and I appreciate the fact it's a gym for everybody. I guess when I lose all my weight and start bulking up then I'll want to join the A_ _ H_ _ _ Gym so I can be like the people I was intimidated by when I was just another fatty who needeed to lose weight and get in shape...NOT! FYI , every Planet Fitness I've been in has free weights, barbells and cages if you chose to use them, what it doesn't have is juiced up muscle heads, join it and enjoy it because it's a nice place to get in shape at a reasonable cost.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    They are not all the same. Depends on the franchise. I had nothing but positive experiences and would happily recommend them to anyone on a budget. There were plenty of people dead lifting and using the equipment but no one was obnoxious.

Sidenote: Work out attire... I personally don't enjoy it when people wear inappropriate clothing (such as only underthings like sports bras and hot pants), however, it's their right to look like an *kitten*. I know when I see men and women in outfits like that (at the gym OR at yoga) it's all about the show and not so much the work. And I just tune them right on out.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if PF's marketing practice wasn't to caricaturize individuals who take their training seriously and call them a lunk: a dull or stupid person; blockhead....an awkward, heavy, or stupid person; while calling themselves a "judgment free zone"...they'd catch far less hell here.

Very true. It's their marketing plan and it works to attract their target customer base of insecure, overweight folks. But everyone else laughs at them for being hypocritical and anti-fitness. Just part of the package.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I like Planet Fitness and I appreciate the fact it's a gym for everybody. I guess when I lose all my weight and start bulking up then I'll want to join the A_ _ H_ _ _ Gym so I can be like the people I was intimidated by when I was just another fatty who needeed to lose weight and get in shape...NOT! FYI , every Planet Fitness I've been in has free weights, barbells and cages if you chose to use them, what it doesn't have is juiced up muscle heads, join it and enjoy it because it's a nice place to get in shape at a reasonable cost

"juiced up muscle heads". The exact reasoning PF sucks.

judgement free zone...unless you're lifting a lot, really strong, or in good shape. then we'll judge the **** outta you.
  • catawbalovely
    catawbalovely Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had a membership there for a couple years before I moved. Now the closest one is 45 minutes away. I never had any problems there and the staff was always great. I'm not saying everyone has had my experience there. I know that no matter where you go you are going to have idiots, but for what my budget was being able to go to a nice uncrowded gym that was availably open was nice. It's not for everyone. A lot of my friends that are male weight lifters don't like it there because they are limited on heavier weights, but for me it worked.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    are they geared toward serious lifters? maybe not.

are they marketing geniuses? definitely.

can some people get a great workout there? certainly.

going to pf beats sittin on a couch.

are they the cheapest? no. i go to golds...$10/mo.

PF is the nickelback of gyms...it's just trendy to hate it.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

"juiced up muscle heads". The exact reasoning PF sucks.

judgement free zone...unless you're lifting a lot, really strong, or in good shape. then we'll judge the **** outta you.

Oh c'mon now. You know there is a difference between lifting and being a jerk. Screaming, being loud, hogging equipment, grunting excessively, or basically just being an *kitten* is very different than lifting. You can do any of those nasty behaviors on any piece of equipment. No ad says NO LIFTING or NO LIFTERS. It is basically saying leave the douche bag behavior at home.
  • vt78che
    vt78che Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't understand all the complaints, either. A year ago I was trying to talk myself into spending more by going to another gym because of the PF comments like these, but I found some people complained about every other gym I considered. I joined PF for $99 flat for 1 year, and no one has ever bothered me in any way when I go. $99 is the set-up fee at many other gyms! It's not a place to go socialize, you can't expect to get real professional advice from them, and they don't have everything there, but they have everything that I need, and that's all that matters to me.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    are they geared toward serious lifters? maybe not.

are they marketing geniuses? definitely.

can some people get a great workout there? certainly.

going to pf beats sittin on a couch.

are they the cheapest? no. i go to golds...$10/mo.

PF is the nickelback of gyms...it's just trendy to hate it.

Your gym is $10 a month? WTF mine is 77. But that is with childcare. I go to World's Gym.

Your points are valid sir! You tickle my heart. :heart: :love:

Meet me later?
  • rworton
    rworton Posts: 28
    Options
    That's exactly what I meant by juiced up Muscle Heads, thanks for your clarity & comprehension about this
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    TBH I think the idea of PF is great. It really gets people who wouldn't workout to get off their *kitten*. It just pisses me off that they actually kick people out for little things like tank tops or headbands (really?!). why can't you just give them a warning? then if they do it again cancel their membership.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    if its on the internet, it must be 100% true.

i wear running shorts and tanks every day to PF and its never a problem and everyone is nice and friendly to me and i treat them with the same respect back. I also use their free weights and do my lifting program just fine. going on my 2nd year and still losing weight and getting stronger. And if you dont like their atmosphere, go somewhere else. it's that simple.

I'm more concerned about L.A. Fitness, the one by me had the gym shut down because the hottub was dirty and spreading LEGIONNAIRES DISEASE!!

ETA: Never been stopped from doing any exercise including deadlifts, squats (of any nature) or any heavy lifting...