Thinking about joining Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    :yawn:

I go to PF because it's affordable, close and my husband has the black card so I go for free.

I am fit and in shape. I wear short shorts and tank tops. I lift heavy. I run hard and fast on the treadmill. I have never been told to leave.

I can count on one hand the amount of times the "lunk alarm" went off. The people who work at my PF are super nice. The issues with the gyms have to do with who owns them because they're franchises and individually owned. I've been to PF's that had squat racks and Olympic bars. Mine doesn't which is unfortunate but it's because the owner doesn't want them.

I don't take aerobic classes so that's not a necessity for me. I'm not training to be a power lifter so the amount of weights that they have works right now.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

"juiced up muscle heads". The exact reasoning PF sucks.

judgement free zone...unless you're lifting a lot, really strong, or in good shape. then we'll judge the **** outta you.

Oh c'mon now. You know there is a difference between lifting and being a jerk. Screaming, being loud, hogging equipment, grunting excessively, or basically just being an *kitten* is very different than lifting. You can do any of those nasty behaviors on any piece of equipment. No ad says NO LIFTING or NO LIFTERS. It is basically saying leave the douche bag behavior at home.

Wearing headbands, bandana's, skull caps, and sleeveless shirts is now "*kitten* behavior"?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    TBH I think the idea of PF is great. It really gets people who wouldn't workout to get off their *kitten*. It just pisses me off that they actually kick people out for little things like tank tops or headbands (really?!). why can't you just give them a warning? then if they do it again cancel their membership.

In every article I've read the staff has asked the person to either remove the item (headbands) or offered the person a PF shirt to wear (tank tops) in addition to explaining the policy, not just kicked them out straightaway.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    OP, your sarcasm amuses me. I especially love the gifs. I do believe I shall send a FR :flowerforyou:
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Here's how I see it: Take a look at what your LOCAL PF has to offer. They're not all the same. And they're not all run the same. The situations you see in the news are "outliers."
    $10 a month for a gym is a steal in my area. The cheapest gym membership I've ever had was $25 a month.

Also, you might want to look into what's available at your town's community center. Mine's is a hidden gem with very few people knowing that it exists. The people that do use it are senior citizens that come in around 2-4pm so I never see them. Also, my city's community center membership comes with pool access in the summer, open gyms (on most nights of the week) and mini golf.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I am a member. Its $10 a month and fairly easy to ignore the tootsie rolls and free pizza once a month. Facilities are clean. No lines for the equipment. I dare say most gringas are there for the tanning.

It's better than the Anytime Fitness ($45/month) I was a member of who pushed 400 calorie "health" smoothies daily and had "lunk" type employees roaming around "encouraging" people to "push it! push it! push it!"

But I have never heard the lunk alarm and everyone, employees included, seem to be in on the joke. Weight lifters are left to do their thing without harassment or condescension.

Both places had questionable "trainers."

They all have their ups and downs.

yea, but I can deadlift and squat at my anytime fitness..

and I only pay 30.00 a month and go to anyone at anytime...not a bad deal in my book ...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of those stories and whatnot are overblown and are outliers to be sure...I don't think people are getting tossed left and right from PF.

That said, the PF's I've visited when I was looking for a gym didn't have much in the way of free weights and dead lifting isn't allowed so that would not be the gym for me. I think it's just fine for people who primarily use cardio machines and do a little resistance work on resistance machines. If you're into free weights and in particular power lifting and/or Oly lifting, PF is a no go.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I get that Planet Fitness isn't going to meet the needs of everyone. But it works for me and seemingly lots of other people. And at $10 a month, the savings are substantial. 50 pounds gone and maintained for almost 2 years.

Maybe you could just be happy that it's helping others reach their health and fitness goals and find a gym that's a better fit for you?

Honestly, if PF's marketing practice wasn't to caricaturize individuals who take their training seriously and call them a lunk: a dull or stupid person; blockhead....an awkward, heavy, or stupid person; while calling themselves a "judgment free zone"...they'd catch far less hell here.
    +1
  • ndj1979
    Options
    well number one they are not a gym...

Gym allows deadlifts...they are a fitness centre.

Mine allows deadlifts. I've never heard the lunk alarm, when clearly from what people say about them, I should have by now. And this is just another thread showing that not all PFs are the same. I go because it was a Christmas gift, but from the experience I've had at mine, if I haven't outgrown the weights by the end of my year, I'll probably renew it for another year. What happened to that girl in the last story shouldn't have happened, no matter where it was.

I would equate A PF xmas gift with coal in my stocking...
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Sidenote: Work out attire... I personally don't enjoy it when people wear inappropriate clothing (such as only underthings like sports bras and hot pants), however, it's their right to look like an *kitten*. I know when I see men and women in outfits like that (at the gym OR at yoga) it's all about the show and not so much the work. And I just tune them right on out.

Or because it's hot (temperature wise).

I have never worn much when working out because I get warm quickly. And I live in a desert. If its 120 degrees out, I am wearing as little as possible. But I guess maybe I am just showing off?
  • Platform_Heels
    Options
    TBH I think the idea of PF is great. It really gets people who wouldn't workout to get off their *kitten*. It just pisses me off that they actually kick people out for little things like tank tops or headbands (really?!). why can't you just give them a warning? then if they do it again cancel their membership.

In every article I've read the staff has asked the person to either remove the item (headbands) or offered the person a PF shirt to wear (tank tops) in addition to explaining the policy, not just kicked them out straightaway.

And again it depends on the location because they are independently owned. There's some sign that says something about no jeans or head wear with the exception of baseball caps (or something like that) but I've seen people working out in jeans and skull caps and never have they been spoken to nor have they been asked to leave.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I like Planet Fitness and I appreciate the fact it's a gym for everybody. I guess when I lose all my weight and start bulking up then I'll want to join the A_ _ H_ _ _ Gym so I can be like the people I was intimidated by when I was just another fatty who needeed to lose weight and get in shape...NOT! FYI , every Planet Fitness I've been in has free weights, barbells and cages if you chose to use them, what it doesn't have is juiced up muscle heads, join it and enjoy it because it's a nice place to get in shape at a reasonable cost.

what did they do to intimidate you? Were you intimidated by them just being there, or did they actually threaten to harm you?

Because if you're feeling intimidated by someone just because they're *there* then the problem is with you, not them. And guess what...? nearly every new person to the gym feels like that when they first go. You just have to get on with it in spite of feeling scared.

The trouble is with planet fitness, is that it coddles people and makes the feeling of intimidation that nearly everyone feels just by being somewhere new among people who are much more experienced at something comes from the people there, and that they need to be protected from it, instead of enabling people to realise that this feeling is normal, comes from them, and that they'll get over it after a while if they stick at it. And sticking at it usually makes people realise that the ones they thought of as intimidating at first usually turn out to be really nice and friendly, and more experience people that they can learn from.

No-one ever opened up a university where professors and post-graduate students and straight A students are banned, in case they intimidate the new undergraduates, or make any undergraduates struggling with their grades feel bad just by being in the same place as them...
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of checking out the local Planet Fitness one day...not really knowing what it was about. There was a bowl of candies at the front desk and no barbells. O.O

Dido^^^ and they have pizza night, too!! What sense does THAT make??!!
  • Platform_Heels
    Options

Sidenote: Work out attire... I personally don't enjoy it when people wear inappropriate clothing (such as only underthings like sports bras and hot pants), however, it's their right to look like an *kitten*. I know when I see men and women in outfits like that (at the gym OR at yoga) it's all about the show and not so much the work. And I just tune them right on out.

:laugh: So wearing "hot pants" and a sports bra to workout is "looking like an *kitten*"? MMmmkay.

I have short shorts that I wear in the summer because they're comfortable. I also wear tank tops over my sports bra and sometimes I'll (gasp) pull my tank top up a bit and tie it on the side because it gets incredibly annoying when it's hanging down. It doesn't mean I'm working out any less or "showing off" nor do I "look like an *kitten*". I like to see my muscles working when I lift.

Based on what you said I'm guessing this is your workout attire:

th_bandfront_zps37f24dfa.jpg
  • fuzilojak
    fuzilojak Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I was going to World Gym last year but switched to PF when my wife did. For me, it's been fine. I'm not at a point where I'm wanting to start adding muscle and it's a bit cheaper. I might go to another gym once I change my route but for now it offers everything I need.

That said, while I don't like the candy on the counter or free pizza and donuts they give out two days of the month, it's hasn't really been any different than any other gym experience I've had. I'd say I see more older and out of shape people there, which is PF's target but their are also the same people I see in other gyms. Anything that gets people off their couch and becoming active is positive to me. :)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you're sweating, you're doing something wrong. Try to stay in the "fat burning zone" (with regular pizza breaks) and there will be no need for exercise clothes, exposed elbows, headbands, heavy breathing, or any other intimidating attire or behavior.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I like Planet Fitness and I appreciate the fact it's a gym for everybody. I guess when I lose all my weight and start bulking up then I'll want to join the A_ _ H_ _ _ Gym so I can be like the people I was intimidated by when I was just another fatty who needeed to lose weight and get in shape...NOT! FYI , every Planet Fitness I've been in has free weights, barbells and cages if you chose to use them, what it doesn't have is juiced up muscle heads, join it and enjoy it because it's a nice place to get in shape at a reasonable cost.

that's fine ..stay at planet "no gainz" so that I can continue to have unfettered access to the free weight area....
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options

what did they do to intimidate you? Were you intimidated by them just being there, or did they actually threaten to harm you?

Because if you're feeling intimidated by someone just because they're *there* then the problem is with you, not them. And guess what...? nearly every new person to the gym feels like that when they first go. You just have to get on with it in spite of feeling scared.

The trouble is with planet fitness, is that it coddles people and makes the feeling of intimidation that nearly everyone feels just by being somewhere new among people who are much more experienced at something comes from the people there, and that they need to be protected from it, instead of enabling people to realise that this feeling is normal, comes from them, and that they'll get over it after a while if they stick at it. And sticking at it usually makes people realise that the ones they thought of as intimidating at first usually turn out to be really nice and friendly, and more experience people that they can learn from.

No-one ever opened up a university where professors and post-graduate students and straight A students are banned, in case they intimidate the new undergraduates, or make any undergraduates struggling with their grades feel bad just by being in the same place as them...

tumblr_mryru373dK1qzo384o1_400.gif
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I was going to World Gym last year but switched to PF when my wife did. For me, it's been fine. I'm not at a point where I'm wanting to start adding muscle and it's a bit cheaper. I might go to another gym once I change my route but for now it offers everything I need.

That said, while I don't like the candy on the counter or free pizza and donuts they give out two days of the month, it's hasn't really been any different than any other gym experience I've had. I'd say I see more older and out of shape people there, which is PF's target but their are also the same people I see in other gyms. Anything that gets people off their couch and becoming active is positive to me. :)

TBH, you probably shouldn't be at a point where you want to add muscle (which is extremely hard). You should be doing the work to maintain what you have now.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    well number one they are not a gym...

Gym allows deadlifts...they are a fitness centre.

Mine allows deadlifts. I've never heard the lunk alarm, when clearly from what people say about them, I should have by now. And this is just another thread showing that not all PFs are the same. I go because it was a Christmas gift, but from the experience I've had at mine, if I haven't outgrown the weights by the end of my year, I'll probably renew it for another year. What happened to that girl in the last story shouldn't have happened, no matter where it was.

I would equate A PF xmas gift with coal in my stocking...

There's more to choose from than what's in my living room, and my bff knew I couldn't afford to join a gym yet. Coal would only help me reach my strength goals if I was trying to make a diamond out of it, so I'll stick with PF for now. :tongue: If my PF was like the ones I read about in the articles posted here, I would leave, but thankfully it's the complete opposite.