Sugar addiction argh!

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Of courseI make sense. Do some reserach before you tell me what I "don't know"!

So what toxins does sucrose from a sugar packet carry with it that sucrose from an apple does not, that one would be allowed on your detox program and one would not?

Oh telling me to research after pouting nonsense? Pot meet kettle
  • rr10473
    rr10473 Posts: 23
    Options
    Definitely caffeine withdrawal. There's no such thing as sugar addiction. That would be akin to "oxygen addiction," as the human body literally requires sugar to live.

Well, part of this statement is right.

The body does need glucose to live which is a sugar found in foods like fruits. You're right, in that.

But what the body DOES NOT need, is the highly processed sugar that is found in a lot foods that really don't need it, but it's a great cheap preservative.

And sorry, but you're wrong about the addiction part also. I am an addiction counselor [non-practicing] but yes, a person can be addicted to sugar, especially the type found in things like soda, candy, cookies, cake and that sort of thing. I am living proof of it. When I experience stress, I like to reach for chocolate, or other candy. I have actual physical cravings and they are similar to the nicotine cravings I used to have after I quit smoking. Yes, I did switch one addictive substance for another.

I would normally back this statement up with proof, and give you links, but I just got an emergency call and have to run but felt it important enough to finish this post to you.

To the OP, take it one day at a time. It will get better. I am fighting it myself. I gave up candy for Lent and it's been really rough, but I can tell you that each day it does get better.

P.S. I will come back later and edit this post with scientific fact (not bro-science) of sugar addiction.

WELL SAID!!!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Definitely caffeine withdrawal. There's no such thing as sugar addiction. That would be akin to "oxygen addiction," as the human body literally requires sugar to live.

The body does need glucose to live which is a sugar found in foods like fruits. You're right, in that.

But what the body DOES NOT need, is the highly processed sugar that is found in a lot foods that really don't need it, but it's a great cheap preservative.

And sorry, but you're wrong about the addiction part also. I am an addiction counselor [non-practicing] but yes, a person can be addicted to sugar, especially the type found in things like soda, candy, cookies, cake and that sort of thing. I am living proof of it. When I experience stress, I like to reach for chocolate, or other candy. I have actual physical cravings and they are similar to the nicotine cravings I used to have after I quit smoking. Yes, I did switch one addictive substance for another.

I would normally back this statement up with proof, and give you links, but I just got an emergency call and have to run but felt it important enough to finish this post to you.

To the OP, take it one day at a time. It will get better. I am fighting it myself. I gave up candy for Lent and it's been really rough, but I can tell you that each day it does get better.

P.S. I will come back later and edit this post with scientific fact (not bro-science) of sugar addiction.

How convenient!
  • asdowe13
    Options
    Sugar is most definately addicting! You detox by only using natural sugars (i.e. honey, natural stevia) and only eating foods where sugar is the 5th ingredient - they are out there!!) I say stay away from diet soda and processed foods altogether. Drink plenty of water!!!! Any detox (caffiene, sugar) will give you headaches. Hang in their. They will go away.

When did sugar become a toxin??
  • Acg67
    Options

Inb4 the Avena rat study
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    this thread is like a re-run of full house...

you know it sucks, but you cant help but enjoy the entertainment.

carry on...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OP - I would say it's the caffeine. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • rr10473
    Options

So what toxins does sucrose from a sugar packet carry it that sucrose from an apple does not, that one would be allowed on your detox program and one would not?

It is all how the body metabolizes the sweetner you use. Part of the explanation is below.

Digestion of Honey and Sugar
    The difference between the digestion of honey compared to the digestion of sugar lies in the composition of enzymes in each of these products.
    Sucrose (table sugar) passes through the stomach without any digestion happening because of its disaccharide (a sugar composed of two monosaccharides) composition. This means that the enzymes in the stomach cannot break down the glucose-fructose structure of table sugar until it reaches the small intestine. Then the liver utilizes a few enzymes to convert the molecules into glucose that is able to enter the bloodstream for further use.
    Honey is different because of the enzymes that are added to the nectar by bees that divide the sucrose into two simple sugars, fructose and glucose. These sugars are directly absorbed by our bodies and are easier to digest.

Some more info...

Glycemic Index of Sugar and Honey
    The glycemic index (GI) is a measure of how carbohydrates
    deal with glucose in the blood. A carbohydrate with a low
    GI allows for only a small increase in blood glucose, while
    a carbohydrate with a high GI leads to a high blood glucose
    level. The average glycemic index for honey is 55±5 and this
    can be compared to the glycemic index of sugar, which is
    68±5. Honey is a lower GI than sugar. Research has shown
    that foods with a low GI, a small increase in blood glucose,
    may provide reduced risk of coronary heart disease and type
    2 diabetes.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

1. Sugar is not a preservative. Bacteria LOVE sugar. That's why sugary foods need alternate preservative ingredients to stabilize them for the couple weeks they stay on grocery store shelves.

2. Sugar is not an addiction. Emotional eating is a psychological condition. Just because something "feels like" something else doesn't mean it's the same thing. That's a logical fallacy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm 28, always naturally yoyo'd through childhood, went to uni, piled it on and my weight just keeps going up. Until now. I signed up nearly 2 weeks ago and I'm already feeling better, despite a glitch with the scales, I moved where I weighed myself and shot up a stone and a half overnight :( My main setback now is my addiction to Coke (the drink not the drug) I should probably say addiction to sugar as I do have a sweet tooth but when I try to cut back on the pop I get horrible headaches whereas I can do without the chocolate. If anyone has any advice on getting over that I'd greatly appreciate it :)
    Congrats on dumping soda. You'll likely have the headache for a week or so, but then you'll feel great. You may also find that without the jolt of HFCS you crave sweets less. I know I did.
  • Acg67
    Options

So what toxins does sucrose from a sugar packet carry it that sucrose from an apple does not, that one would be allowed on your detox program and one would not?

It is all how the body metabolizes the sweetner you use. Part of the explanation is below.

The difference between the digestion of honey compared to the digestion of sugar lies in the composition of enzymes in each of these products.
    Sucrose (table sugar) passes through the stomach without any digestion happening because of its disaccharide (a sugar composed of two monosaccharides) composition. This means that the enzymes in the stomach cannot break down the glucose-fructose structure of table sugar until it reaches the small intestine. Then the liver utilizes a few enzymes to convert the molecules into glucose that is able to enter the bloodstream for further use.
    Honey is different because of the enzymes that are added to the nectar by bees that divide the sucrose into two simple sugars, fructose and glucose. These sugars are directly absorbed by our bodies and are easier to digest.

Some more info...

2 diabetes.

Again as you so eloquently put, do some research. Sucrose? also a naturally occurring sugar. GI Index relevance to those without diabetes? Next to none
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    nevermind.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    If you truly feel you have an addiction and want help, I'd recommend joining a 12 step group.

If you think this is something you can exercise self-control over, then do it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Some more info...

2 diabetes.
    Sigh... Do you actually understand what you are saying?

Basically this article says that sucrose is cleaved into glucose and fructose by the enzyme sucrase in the body. Then it says that honey has enzymes that act like sucrase and cleave sucrose in honey into glucose and fructose.

So, once they are both cleaved into glucose and fructose, the body digests them identically. They both get absorbed into the blood by the small intestine.

By the way, the glycemic index has been debunked, and even so, honey at 55 is still considered high on the glycemic scale. Virtually identical from a health standpoint.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Some more info...

2 diabetes.

Given that, High Fructose Corn Syrup is a better alternative than table sugar too .. Since it'd had the same enzyme added to it, and contains the same amount for fructose as Honey.

You could change a sentence above to accurately read:

HFCS is different because of the enzymes that are added to the nectar by factory workers that divide the sucrose into two simple sugars, fructose and glucose. These sugars are directly absorbed by our bodies and are easier to digest.

So HFCS all the way for me from now on.
  • rr10473
    Options
    Again as you so eloquently put, do some research. Sucrose? also a naturally occurring sugar. GI Index relevance to those without diabetes? Next to none
    [/quote]

In sugar glucose and fructose bound together to form sucrose. In honey, glucose and fructose are independant of each other.

Thus my point.
  • Julie61ann
    Julie61ann Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, I know how hard it is because I have been there. I also had to give up drinking Coke and found what works for me as far as giving up caffeine...I slowly switched out my Coke for a non-caffeine type pop (7-up, Sprite or Orange, maybe even Dr. Pepper, I'm not sure about that one). I finally got off all pop by switching from 3 cans Coke to 2 cans of Coke and 1 can of Sprite Zero for a week. For the second week I switched to 1 Coke and 1-2 cans of Sprite Zero. By the third week I switched to 1-2 cans of Sprite Zero. After about a month or so it was not a problem to give up the pop because I was no longer addicted to the caffeine. And now I find I can still have a pop every now and then (like when I go out for pizza!) but really have to limit that or just drink non-caffeine pop so I don't start craving it again. I also have a sugar addiction and still somewhat struggle with it so I can't give advice on that, sorry. Good Luck finding what will work for you!
  • rr10473
    Options
    [[/quote]
    Sigh... Do you actually understand what you are saying?

Basically this article says that sucrose is cleaved into glucose and fructose by the enzyme sucrase in the body. Then it says that honey has enzymes that act like sucrase and cleave sucrose in honey into glucose and fructose.

So, once they are both cleaved into glucose and fructose, the body digests them identically. They both get absorbed into the blood by the small intestine.

By the way, the glycemic index has been debunked, and even so, honey at 55 is still considered high on the glycemic scale. Virtually identical from a health standpoint.
    [/quote]

I was only providing a few items of research. Honey is natural, sugar is processed. By that point, your body metabolizes processed food differenly. Natural/Whole foods are what are best for your body, period.
    I have been studying this for some time and have done my own research. If you feel differently, fine.
  • Acg67
    Options

In sugar glucose and fructose bound together to form sucrose. In honey, glucose and fructose are independant of each other.

Thus my point.
    [/quote]

Glucose and fructose are sugars and sucrose is also naturally occurring, in which case;

"Sugar is most definately addicting! You detox by only using natural sugars (i.e. honey, natural stevia) and only eating foods where sugar is the 5th ingredient - they are out there!!) I say stay away from diet soda and processed foods altogether. Drink plenty of water!!!! Any detox (caffiene, sugar) will give you headaches. Hang in their. They will go away. "
  • asdowe13
    Options

Thus my point.

Such ignorance , glucose and fructose are sugars and sucrose is also naturally occurring, in which case;

"Sugar is most definately addicting! You detox by only using natural sugars (i.e. honey, natural stevia) and only eating foods where sugar is the 5th ingredient - they are out there!!) I say stay away from diet soda and processed foods altogether. Drink plenty of water!!!! Any detox (caffiene, sugar) will give you headaches. Hang in their. They will go away. "

is still asinine
    [/quote]

You sir make sense!
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

Thus my point.

Such ignorance , glucose and fructose are sugars and sucrose is also naturally occurring, in which case;

is still asinine
    [/quote]

So what you are trying to say is someone who is truly addicted to beer cannot detox from alcohol if they drink vodka nor

can you truly "Detox" from sugar if you are subbing it with another type of sugar.

Genius!