Sugar addiction argh!

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    this thread is like a re-run of full house...

you know it sucks, but you cant help but enjoy the entertainment.

carry on...

hA9D30F3C
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sigh... Do you actually understand what you are saying?

Basically this article says that sucrose is cleaved into glucose and fructose by the enzyme sucrase in the body. Then it says that honey has enzymes that act like sucrase and cleave sucrose in honey into glucose and fructose.

So, once they are both cleaved into glucose and fructose, the body digests them identically. They both get absorbed into the blood by the small intestine.

By the way, the glycemic index has been debunked, and even so, honey at 55 is still considered high on the glycemic scale. Virtually identical from a health standpoint.

I was only providing a few items of research. Honey is natural, sugar is processed. By that point, your body metabolizes processed food differenly. Natural/Whole foods are what are best for your body, period.
    I have been studying this for some time and have done my own research. If you feel differently, fine.
    tigerpalm.jpg

OK first of all, a google search isn't "research." I'll start with the very basics. Sucrose is NOT a processed sugar, it's a naturally occurring sugar. In fact, sucrose occurs naturally in honey (honey contains about 1% sucrose, 7% maltose [another disaccharide,] 31% glucose, and 38% fructose) as well as EVERY fruit known to man. Honestly, as far as sugar ratios go, honey is very similar to high fructose corn syrup.

It's interesting how you only pick up what you want from my info. No my research is not based on a "google search". The references I made are related to sugar as a processed substance versus honey as a natural pure form of sugar.
    Please explain in biological and chemical terms how sucrose as table sugar differs from the sucrose in honey.
  • rr10473
    rr10473 Posts: 23
    Options
    When did sugar become a toxin??

post-18125-senor-chang-oh-snap-gif-sPWY.gif

I'm thinking it happened about the same time that polite conversation became "bullying" and when sensationalist lies became "news." I think this was about the same time when they decided that instead of giving a trophy to the winner, that all kids would get one. This correlates with the timing of the war on drugs going from rhetoric to actually bombing other countries.

Because it's so much easier to blame an inanimate object that has not harmed you than to find the root cause of your own destructive behavior and learn to be a better person.

*sigh*
    drag3.gif

Interesting thought. Calling me ascinine is polite conversation? Ok. Your opinion.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options

I really think you are the pot calling the kettle black, you are the bully, Interersting how you will not even post a picture of your face. You ruin these forums for me

I thank my lucky stars every time I see him post in these sugar nonsense threads.

EDIT: Dear God, you newbies need to figure out how to use the quotes properly!

I do not consider myself a newbie...since I have not missed a day in 3 months but whaever... I just KNEW some KNOW-IT-ALL was going to say somethig about the quote...lol. Do you feel better????
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    [___________________
    To whine about having a sugar addiction belittles those who have battled true addiction. Man up and put down the cookie. Quit making your excuses as to why you cannot lose weight or be healthy or coddling others as to why they are not succeeding by saying "its ok, its' your sugar addiction." This does not apply for those with health conditions. Also, a difference in opinion does not make one a bully.

Please note: I do not think this was the case of the OP!

I am not whining. I have overcome the battle with weight loss sucessfully. Thank you very much! I did have a true addiction and was trying to offer what I knew worked for me. Having a difference of opinion is not a bully. you are right. Calling people names after not understanding their point of view is!

So did you avoid all saccharides to overcome your addiction to them?

Yes!
    [/quote]

So you ate no vegetables? No fruit? No dairy products?

Anyway, your body breaks down everything you eat into glucose (a sugar) without which you would die. Sugar (all sugars) are naturally occurring, non-toxic, and definitely not addicting. Though I will admit to adding sugar and fat (maybe some carbs) together make some might fine goodies that are hard to put down.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Sugar is most definately addicting! You detox by only using natural sugars (i.e. honey, natural stevia) and only eating foods where sugar is the 5th ingredient - they are out there!!) I say stay away from diet soda and processed foods altogether. Drink plenty of water!!!! Any detox (caffiene, sugar) will give you headaches. Hang in their. They will go away.

So as long as sugar is the 5th ingredient, you'll magically detox?

winter2_zps5beb0742.gif
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I really think you are the pot calling the kettle black, you are the bully, Interersting how you will not even post a picture of your face. You ruin these forums for me

I thank my lucky stars every time I see him post in these sugar nonsense threads.

I do not consider myself a newbie...since I have not missed a day in 3 months but whaever... I just KNEW some KNOW-IT-ALL was going to say somethig about the quote...lol. Do you feel better????

Infinitely. Thanks for asking.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    To whine about having a sugar addiction belittles those who have battled true addiction. Man up and put down the cookie. Quit making your excuses as to why you cannot lose weight or be healthy or coddling others as to why they are not succeeding by saying "its ok, its' your sugar addiction." This does not apply for those with health conditions. Also, a difference in opinion does not make one a bully.

I am not whining. I have overcome the battle with weight loss sucessfully. Thank you very much! I did have a true addiction and was trying to offer what I knew worked for me. Having a difference of opinion is not a bully. you are right. Calling people names after not understanding their point of view is!

Yes!
    Uh huh. And now we know you have no idea what you are talking about. Unless you've been eating nothing but plain meat, as that's about the only way you can avoid all saccharides.
  • rr10473
    Options
    [___________________

Yes!

So you ate no vegetables? No fruit? No dairy products?

Anyway, your body breaks down everything you eat into glucose (a sugar) without which you would die. Sugar (all sugars) are naturally occurring, non-toxic, and definitely not addicting. Though I will admit to adding sugar and fat (maybe some carbs) together make some might fine goodies that are hard to put down.
    [/quote]

Disagree. But that is fine. We can agree to disagree don't worry I won't call you any names in the process.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm pretty sure honey is a processed sugar, bees mainly being the working force here.

I just watched a program on TV yesterday where they were showing the process. Processed is definitely the correct word. It took 30 minutes to show it all. Very interesting. :flowerforyou:
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Definitely caffeine withdrawal. There's no such thing as sugar addiction. That would be akin to "oxygen addiction," as the human body literally requires sugar to live.

Well, part of this statement is right.

The body does need glucose to live which is a sugar found in foods like fruits. You're right, in that.

But what the body DOES NOT need, is the highly processed sugar that is found in a lot foods that really don't need it, but it's a great cheap preservative.

And sorry, but you're wrong about the addiction part also. I am an addiction counselor [non-practicing] but yes, a person can be addicted to sugar, especially the type found in things like soda, candy, cookies, cake and that sort of thing. I am living proof of it. When I experience stress, I like to reach for chocolate, or other candy. I have actual physical cravings and they are similar to the nicotine cravings I used to have after I quit smoking. Yes, I did switch one addictive substance for another.

I would normally back this statement up with proof, and give you links, but I just got an emergency call and have to run but felt it important enough to finish this post to you.

To the OP, take it one day at a time. It will get better. I am fighting it myself. I gave up candy for Lent and it's been really rough, but I can tell you that each day it does get better.

P.S. I will come back later and edit this post with scientific fact (not bro-science) of sugar addiction.

After 72 hours, nicotine is out of your system. The cravings you have after that are purely psychological, not physical. It is the same for any physically addictive substance, more or less depending on how long it takes your body to detox from that substance.

Sugar is not physically addictive, but you may have a psychological pull to a food that provides you emotional comfort. if it were truly physically addictive, then you would not care that the food you were reaching for is chocolate. You would eat any food containing sugar you could get your hands on.

Don't need science here, just a little common sense.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    When did sugar become a toxin??

post-18125-senor-chang-oh-snap-gif-sPWY.gif

I'm thinking it happened about the same time that polite conversation became "bullying" and when sensationalist lies became "news." I think this was about the same time when they decided that instead of giving a trophy to the winner, that all kids would get one. This correlates with the timing of the war on drugs going from rhetoric to actually bombing other countries.

Because it's so much easier to blame an inanimate object that has not harmed you than to find the root cause of your own destructive behavior and learn to be a better person.

*sigh*
    drag3.gif

Interesting thought. Calling me ascinine is polite conversation? Ok. Your opinion.

Wait...what? If I had called you that, then I would have spelled it correctly. Also, ego much? This was directed at adowe, whom I quoted. I don't see anything about you here.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I got lost right around the point where someone's logic chain "proved conclusively" that an alcoholic could 'detox' by switching from beer to vodka or vice versa, and they confirmed that this was the case.

How does that work, again?

30547-Yeah-Mr-White-Yeah-science-bre-s84P.gif
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

carry on...
    Man I loved that show as a kid. Seeing an episode now? Heartbreaking. :frown:
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options

carry on...

I know, right? This thread comes up daily.

Although I'm pretty sure Michelle is a sugar addict and needs rehab.

Cant-Stop-Wont-Stop-Eating_zps5ce9c463.gif
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, cold turkey here I come! (packet of ibuprofen at the ready) I don't drink coffee, never thought of it as being a caffeine addiction, that's really useful, the advice not the addiction.

Do you drink tea? That has some caffeine and might help the headaches. Or can you wean yourself off of soda, drink less and less until there's none?

Good luck! I have gone off caffeine in the past and get ungodly headaches that last for a week. Hopefully yours will not be so bad!
  • rr10473
    Options

Yes!
    Uh huh. And now we know you have no idea what you are talking about. Unless you've been eating nothing but plain meat, as that's about the only way you can avoid all saccharides.

Why is that hard to believe? In that plan I was on, you elminiated just about everything for a period of time. Just eat rice and protein. Then incorporate them slowly to see how your body handles it. I had to go to this extreme. Why is that wrong?
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    ITT: strong quoting abilities

-Physical food addictions are not real. (caffeine is another story)
    -Mental "addiction" is a lack of willpower.
  • CarrieLubenske
    CarrieLubenske Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was a Diet Cherry Coke-a-holic and beat it! You can too! This is what I did. I cut myself back to one soda a day for a week. And if I got a headache I took aspirin (but I didn't really get one). The other MAIN thing I did that I believe helped me beat that need for something sweet to drink is I started drinking Zero Vitamin Water (but make sure it's the ZERO no calorie version). I try and drink 3 of them a day - minimum! If I get hungry, I drink my Vitamin Water because 9 times out of 10 you're not hungry you're thirsty. I buy them in a 20 pack from Sam's (a lot cheaper than the grocery store - only $12 - 14 a 20-pack vs $1+ a bottle at the grocery store).
    I SWEAR by Zero Vitamin Water. You're getting hydrated and you're kicking the soda habit!
    Good luck!! It's not easy at first but I guarantee you will be SO happy you did it in the end! :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

+1 billion to this!