Sugar addiction argh!

Options

Replies

• LoriLambPope
    Options
    I know where you are coming from. I'm proud of your for connecting through this forum. How many Cokes do you drink a day? What times of day do you drink them?

My suggestion is this...

First - reduce the portion you drink by 50% immediately, but don't change the time you drink them. Add lots of ice and take small sips. Make it last longer.

Second- Once you are not bothered at all by the reduction in portion, eliminate one portion entirely and replace it with water. So...if you are drinking a coke for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack, then eliminate snack and replace with an ice cold bottle of water.

Repeat this process after adjusting until you no longer feel the urge to constantly drink coke. It may be that you end up drinking just one a day.

Good Luck!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, cold turkey here I come! (packet of ibuprofen at the ready) I don't drink coffee, never thought of it as being a caffeine addiction, that's really useful, the advice not the addiction.

Caffeine withdrawal is much easier to deal with than cocaine withdrawal. Good luck, OP!
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying about sugar addiction and I've known people who have had headaches from drastically reducing their candy intake.

It works like an upper and when you crash you need more. Also certain forms can trigger overeating. It sounds like you want off that roller coaster. I am/ was very similar. I had to attack it from all angles. I did get help from a Therapy group for people with binge eating and compulsive overeating. Its is NOT about f** will power! Addiction is not freedom from responsibility or consequence and it is really disheartening to hear so many people say 'how about stop making excuses'. There is a difference between making excuses and trying to understand something better in order to find solutions. You sound like you want to find real solutions you can stick with.

I learned to reduce my 'sweets' to once a day with a 200cal max. and to have it with a meal. Sweets meaning things with refined sugar, honey, maple syrup, corn syrup and the like NOT whole fruits or whole grains.

I don't have them in the house.

I try to eat them socially where I won't binge on them.

I plan for them, meaning I have certain times during the day that I eat. If its not my time I wait. I never go longer then 4.5hr without food. Thus if someone brought cookies to work I can have one but I wait to have it with a meal. aka removing the impulse.

I eat my sweets closer to bed time so when the 'crash' comes I'll be in bed.

Just whats been working for me, lots of small steps.

Best Wishes!
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    To whine about having a sugar addiction belittles those who have battled true addiction. Man up and put down the cookie. Quit making your excuses as to why you cannot lose weight or be healthy or coddling others as to why they are not succeeding by saying "its ok, its' your sugar addiction." This does not apply for those with health conditions. Also, a difference in opinion does not make one a bully.

Please note: I do not think this was the case of the OP!

I am not whining. I have overcome the battle with weight loss sucessfully. Thank you very much! I did have a true addiction and was trying to offer what I knew worked for me. Having a difference of opinion is not a bully. you are right. Calling people names after not understanding their point of view is!

So did you avoid all saccharides to overcome your addiction to them?

Yes!
    Uh huh. And now we know you have no idea what you are talking about. Unless you've been eating nothing but plain meat, as that's about the only way you can avoid all saccharides.

Why is that hard to believe? In that plan I was on, you elminiated just about everything for a period of time. Just eat rice and protein. Then incorporate them slowly to see how your body handles it. I had to go to this extreme. Why is that wrong?

Doing an elimination diet isn't wrong. If that worked for you, then that's great, and I'm glad you are in a healthier place as a result.

Claiming that food is physically addicting, however, IS wrong. You may have felt that you couldn't stop eating a certain thing. Heck, there are plenty of foods that I can only buy in small quantities because I "can't stop" eating them. And yes, processed food is specifically made to be so good you don't want to stop. But none of that makes it addictive.
  • rr10473
    rr10473 Posts: 23
    Options
    I get what you are saying about sugar addiction and I've known people who have had headaches from drastically reducing their candy intake.

It works like an upper and when you crash you need more. Also certain forms can trigger overeating. It sounds like you want off that roller coaster. I am/ was very similar. I had to attack it from all angles. I did get help from a Therapy group for people with binge eating and compulsive overeating. Its is NOT about f** will power! Addiction is not freedom from responsibility or consequence and it is really disheartening to hear so many people say 'how about stop making excuses'. There is a difference between making excuses and trying to understand something better in order to find solutions. You sound like you want to find real solutions you can stick with.

I learned to reduce my 'sweets' to once a day with a 200cal max. and to have it with a meal. Sweets meaning things with refined sugar, honey, maple syrup, corn syrup and the like NOT whole fruits or whole grains.

I don't have them in the house.

I try to eat them socially where I won't binge on them.

I plan for them, meaning I have certain times during the day that I eat. If its not my time I wait. I never go longer then 4.5hr without food. Thus if someone brought cookies to work I can have one but I wait to have it with a meal. aka removing the impulse.

I eat my sweets closer to bed time so when the 'crash' comes I'll be in bed.

Just whats been working for me, lots of small steps.

Best Wishes!

Great points. Every one's journey with weight loss is their own.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    To whine about having a sugar addiction belittles those who have battled true addiction. Man up and put down the cookie. Quit making your excuses as to why you cannot lose weight or be healthy or coddling others as to why they are not succeeding by saying "its ok, its' your sugar addiction." This does not apply for those with health conditions. Also, a difference in opinion does not make one a bully.

I am not whining. I have overcome the battle with weight loss sucessfully. Thank you very much! I did have a true addiction and was trying to offer what I knew worked for me. Having a difference of opinion is not a bully. you are right. Calling people names after not understanding their point of view is!

Yes!
    Uh huh. And now we know you have no idea what you are talking about. Unless you've been eating nothing but plain meat, as that's about the only way you can avoid all saccharides.

Why is that hard to believe? In that plan I was on, you elminiated just about everything for a period of time. Just eat rice and protein. Then incorporate them slowly to see how your body handles it. I had to go to this extreme. Why is that wrong?
    Rice is full of oligosaccharides. You stated you eliminated ALL saccharides from your diet. Obviously you didn't, which shows that you don't actually know what saccharides are. Which proves that you have no business in this conversation trying to insist that you know better than others.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I'm 28, always naturally yoyo'd through childhood, went to uni, piled it on and my weight just keeps going up. Until now. I signed up nearly 2 weeks ago and I'm already feeling better, despite a glitch with the scales, I moved where I weighed myself and shot up a stone and a half overnight :( My main setback now is my addiction to Coke (the drink not the drug) I should probably say addiction to sugar as I do have a sweet tooth but when I try to cut back on the pop I get horrible headaches whereas I can do without the chocolate. If anyone has any advice on getting over that I'd greatly appreciate it :)

Instead of making excuses, buckle down and stay on track. Try diet soda if you like soda but don't want the cals

This. YOu have to go through SOME level of discomfort. It ain't gonna be easy but white knuckle your way through it. Like everything else, this will pass.
  • rr10473
    Options
    [Why is that hard to believe? In that plan I was on, you elminiated just about everything for a period of time. Just eat rice and protein. Then incorporate them slowly to see how your body handles it. I had to go to this extreme. Why is that wrong?
    [/quote]
    Rice is full of oligosaccharides. You stated you eliminated ALL saccharides from your diet. Obviously you didn't, which shows that you don't actually know what saccharides are. Which proves that you have no business in this conversation trying to insist that you know better than others.
    [/quote]

I am not insisting I know better than others. AT ALL. I was merely sharing my experience. When I said yes to no Saccharides I was talking about simple sugars. Why do like to feed off of one point that may be off? Does that make you happy? My journey is my journey. I was only giving OP advice on something that I belive fully based on extensive research.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I suggest therapy, a 12 step program, and a sponser for your hard days.

*hugs*

Sponsor and DON'T EVEN. I know it's a joke, and it's a good one. BUT, god help me these people will hang on to "Sugar addiction" like it's a real thing. Try kicking freebase, booze and cigarettes and then tell me about your sugar addiction. (hugs)
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I suggest therapy, a 12 step program, and a sponser for your hard days.

*hugs*

That WAS funny though! :)
  • rr10473
    Options

Yes!

Doing an elimination diet isn't wrong. If that worked for you, then that's great, and I'm glad you are in a healthier place as a result.

Claiming that food is physically addicting, however, IS wrong. You may have felt that you couldn't stop eating a certain thing. Heck, there are plenty of foods that I can only buy in small quantities because I "can't stop" eating them. And yes, processed food is specifically made to be so good you don't want to stop. But none of that makes it addictive.

I will agree to disagree with you on the addiction part. I believe the reseach I have read is true.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Sugar is most definately addicting! You detox by only using natural sugars (i.e. honey, natural stevia) and only eating foods where sugar is the 5th ingredient - they are out there!!) I say stay away from diet soda and processed foods altogether. Drink plenty of water!!!! Any detox (caffiene, sugar) will give you headaches. Hang in their. They will go away.

You realize that makes no sense, right?

Once again ACG knocks it outta the park. hahaha
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    [Why is that hard to believe? In that plan I was on, you elminiated just about everything for a period of time. Just eat rice and protein. Then incorporate them slowly to see how your body handles it. I had to go to this extreme. Why is that wrong?

I am not insisting I know better than others. AT ALL. I was merely sharing my experience. When I said yes to no Saccharides I was talking about simple sugars. Why do like to feed off of one point that may be off? Does that make you happy? My journey is my journey. I was only giving OP advice on something that I belive fully based on extensive research.
    [/quote][/quote][/quote]

Extensive research? What research did you do that told you there were no sugars in rice? You stated emphatically that you ate NO sugars for a period of time. Except, oops - you did. Time to go back to that 'research' thing you SAID you did.

And no one has called you any names. They are just pointing out that your advice is complete hornswoggle.

ETA: You don't need to move the quote boxes around when you reply to a message. Just post at the bottom of the box.

OK, I can't figure out how you managed to screw the quotes up so badly, so I'm just putting my reply in bold. *sigh*
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

[/quote][/quote]

Extensive research? What research did you do that told you there were no sugars in rice? You stated emphatically that you ate NO sugars for a period of time. Except, oops - you did. Time to go back to that 'research' thing you SAID you did.

And no one has called you any names. They are just pointing out that your advice is complete hornswoggle.

ETA: You don't need to move the quote boxes around when you reply to a message. Just post at the bottom of the box.

OK, I can't figure out how you managed to screw the quotes up so badly, so I'm just putting my reply in bold. *sigh*

[/quote]
    But any real advice is always just bullying! :grumble:
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Again as you so eloquently put, do some research. Sucrose? also a naturally occurring sugar. GI Index relevance to those without diabetes? Next to none

In sugar glucose and fructose bound together to form sucrose. In honey, glucose and fructose are independant of each other.

Thus my point.

Such ignorance , glucose and fructose are sugars and sucrose is also naturally occurring, in which case;

"Sugar is most definately addicting! You detox by only using natural sugars (i.e. honey, natural stevia) and only eating foods where sugar is the 5th ingredient - they are out there!!) I say stay away from diet soda and processed foods altogether. Drink plenty of water!!!! Any detox (caffiene, sugar) will give you headaches. Hang in their. They will go away. "

is still asinine

So what you are trying to say is someone who is truly addicted to beer cannot detox from alcohol if they drink vodka nor

can you truly "Detox" from sugar if you are subbing it with another type of sugar.

Genius!

Thank you! I think I am pretty smart myself.

Actually yes you can. If you haven't done so you wouldn't know what I was referring to. Seems like you know what to do with an addiction to sugar. Please advise.

[/quote]

"To whine about having a sugar addiction belittles those who have battled true addiction."

THANK YOUUUUUU!
  • rr10473
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes I was called ascinine and that was offensive. If I tripped up by saying I eliminate all saccharides and didn't really, well opps. M y profession is not in knowing exactly what all saccharides are. But I know that program worked and it's basis was eliminating processed foods especially processed sugar. I am able to give advice based on what my experience is. It worked for me and I live by it. I didn't lose close to 60 pounds by doing nothing.
  • ValGogo
    Options

I really think you are the pot calling the kettle black, you are the bully, Interersting how you will not even post a picture of your face. You ruin these forums for me

Acg67 does not need to post a pic of his face. It detracts from those abs!! :blushing:

I like the abs. Makes me want to drop into a plank!
  • tigersword
    Options

Rice has mono and disaccharides in it also (in other simple sugars,) so even if I agree to change the definition of the word saccharide to "what you meant(which I'm not doing,") you still didn't eliminate ANY saccharides. Nobody is calling you names, we are just pointing out that your "extensive research" is incorrect.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Yes I was called ascinine and that was offensive. If I tripped up by saying I eliminate all saccharides and didn't really, well opps. M y profession is not in knowing exactly what all saccharides are. But I know that program worked and it's basis was eliminating processed foods especially processed sugar. I am able to give advice based on what my experience is. It worked for me and I live by it. I didn't lose close to 60 pounds by doing nothing.
    You lost 60lbs from a calorie deficit, not from cutting out sugars.
  • tigersword
    Options

But any real advice is always just bullying! :grumble:

She keeps randomly deleting the first couple of [ quote ] codes for some reason.