Is 160 pounds too fat to wear a bikini?

Options

Replies

• gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Hi I am looking for your honest opinion. I am a 23 year old female. I am 5'5" and 160 pounds. Do I weigh too much to wear a bikini.

You will look just fine. Don't believe me? Put one on, hit the beach, listen for the whistles!
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Wear it! One thing I learned a long time ago is that there will always be someone who looks better than you. You will always look better then someone else.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you're asking. a)Whether or not we would wear a bikini at 160 lbs? Or b)whether or not we mind looking at 160 lb women in bikini's?

Either way, I'm not sure why it has anything to do with whether or not you feel comfortable in a bikini. If your mom doesn't think you look good in a bikini, tell her not to look at you, or go to the pool/beach without her. Wear what you want.

Anyway, to answer the questions I think you're asking: a) No, I wouldn't wear at a bikini at 160 lbs. I'm 5'7" and when I was last 160 lbs I did wear a bikini and I was mostly comfortable. My body composition was better then and even though I had about 20 lbs to lose, I didn't look bad. I'm only 9 lbs heavier than that now but my body comp is poor and I wouldn't feel comfortable with that much of my exposed body jiggling around. But even if I did have better body comp, I would still want to lose more before I would feel comfortable in a bikini. I'm 10 years older now and I just present myself differently now than I did in my early 20s. But I don't regret wearing a two piece back then. It didn't ruin my life or anyone else's.

b) I don't pay enough attention to other people at the beach/pool to care much about what they're wearing. Unless you've got asscrack nips or balls hanging out of a bathing suit, my eyes probably won't linger any more or less regardless of what you're wearing.
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Wear the bikini.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Hi I am looking for your honest opinion. I am a 23 year old female. I am 5'5" and 160 pounds. Do I weigh too much to wear a bikini. My mom told me I don't have the body to wear a bikini. I just want the opinion from other women who weigh about the same as me or wore a bikini when they weighed 160 pounds.

I'm pretty sure if you had said "My husband told me I don't have the body to wear a bikini" then there would be uproar on here and cries of "DIVORCE HIM!"
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Go for it. There are many, many styles of bikinis out there. The key will be to try a zillion on until you have that "Wow" moment in the dressing room mirror. Which you will, and then you will know your search is over.

I personally love the retro styles, they cover a little more for modesty's sake (and hold some stuff in) but still show off a lot of the important skin ;-) I do not and never will have little wispy, less-than-a-handkerchief string-bikini aspirations, but I am looking forward to the day l I feel confident to rock a good-fitting two piece and show off more than I ever dared.

This is one of a few I have my eye on... not anywhere near there yet, but eventually! :-)

http://www.inspiredinsanity.com.au/Womens-Clothing/Esther-Williams-50s-Vintage-Cherries-Two-Piece-High-Bikini-Swimwear-Plus-Size/prod_1506.html
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about yourself and don't care about what other people thing then wear a bikini. If you are worried about what other people think or staying within the social norm then I would probably go with a one piece. Hope that helps.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i wore a bikini in dominican at 5'2.5 and 172 lbs. Life is wayyyyy too short, and i wanted a nice tan!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    All shapes and sizes wear bikinis. I spent a year and a half living on a beach. I rarely saw one piece swimsuits.

Wear what makes you happy. Everyone else does.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Do you have a body? If so, you have a bikini body.

And anyone who says otherwise is self righteous and not worth worrying about. .

THIS.

If you are comfortable with yourself and feel confident in a bikini.....wear one! It's all about how you feel. Love yourself.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    p.s, I have been to the beach many times and I have seen all sorts of body shapes in bikinis, however I have never seen anyone remotely look like a runway model, or bikini/lingerie model.........the majority of women who wear bikinis are your average, everyday, confident women.......go rock one honey!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends on you really. And we all look different at 160 lbs. I would never wear a bikini at 160 lbs, but I won't wear one at 135 lbs either because of all the loose skin, stretch marks and whatnot.
  • Veronnie87
    Veronnie87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was on the beach last May in a bikini at 172lbs. There are even pictures to prove it! :P Did I look the way I wanted to look? Nope. Did I let it ruin my enjoyment of the feeling of having the sun warm my stomach and my back? Nope. It's all about your confidence. Look, you can be strutting your stuff in a bikini at 200lbs and be uber-confident. It doesn't make the wiggles and jiggles go away, but when you're smiling and enjoying yourself, you automatically will look better than a person who is the same size and shape but who is yanking at their shorts and keeping their arms crossed across their middle and looks miserably self-conscious.
    Don't EVER let other peoples' opinions dictate how much you're going to enjoy yourself. If you want the bikini, then get yourself the bikini that makes you feel like a curvy, sexy woman and ROCK IT!
  • Flossiesdoll
    Options
    There will be thinner people than you in bikinis and fatter people than you in bikinis, no matter what you weigh - and nobody will be paying them any attention. What your mum is really saying is she wouldn't be comfortable in a bikini - you're not her. Wear what you want.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3", currently weigh 179, hoping to be closer to 170 in June and I WILL be wearing a bikini when I go on my vacation then. If you want to wear one you wear it. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks except yourself!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Hi I am looking for your honest opinion. I am a 23 year old female. I am 5'5" and 160 pounds. Do I weigh too much to wear a bikini. My mom told me I don't have the body to wear a bikini. I just want the opinion from other women who weigh about the same as me or wore a bikini when they weighed 160 pounds.

I'm pretty sure if you had said "My husband told me I don't have the body to wear a bikini" then there would be uproar on here and cries of "DIVORCE HIM!"

Personally, it bothers me 100x more that a mother would say that to her daughter.
  • JorieM2005
    Options
    You're 23!!! If you like bikinis, wear one and enjoy it! (I'm 34 and there is probably no weight at which I will wear a bikini anymore...kids!! My belly button just isn't the cute thing it once was LOL!)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You are allowing yourself to be limited by your lack of confidence, OP.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Personally, it bothers me 100x more that a mother would say that to her daughter.

Yes but the 'anti-mum' comments are conspicuous by their absence. It would be the first things commented on if her husband had said that - probably quite rightly too
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Do you have a body? If so, you have a bikini body.

And anyone who says otherwise is self righteous and not worth worrying about. .

This.