Is 160 pounds too fat to wear a bikini?

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Also, I have a mother who is constantly telling me I cannot do things -- I am 31 and very, very capable of most things and have done lots of interesting, fun things. If I listened to her... I would have missed out on a lot of amazing people and experiences. I do love my mom, but I have come to realize that aspect of her personality has more to do with her insecurities than the person I am.

Just say "Ok mom, that's your opinion" and do what you want.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I find it odd when people debate a bikini or a one piece. Is a few inches of fabric over or not over your stomach that big of a deal? I mean you half naked anyway. People can still see the shape of your body in a one piece.

Nudity for everyone.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi I am looking for your honest opinion. I am a 23 year old female. I am 5'5" and 160 pounds. Do I weigh too much to wear a bikini. My mom told me I don't have the body to wear a bikini. I just want the opinion from other women who weigh about the same as me or wore a bikini when they weighed 160 pounds.

I'm pretty sure if you had said "My husband told me I don't have the body to wear a bikini" then there would be uproar on here and cries of "DIVORCE HIM!"

Personally, it bothers me 100x more that a mother would say that to her daughter.

Unfortunately for a LOT of us, especially women, this is all too uncommon. A lot of the moms think they are being "helpful" and never get that they are causing way, way more damage than doing any good.

My own mom carried a few extra pounds through high school. Maybe a size 14-16 by today's standards which is not horrible but enough to be a struggle for her to deal with, and though she never talks about it i get the idea that her mother, while probably not outright mean, most likely made a LOT of passive-aggressive comments about it. You'd think that pain would make her think twice about the cruelty I endured from her as a fat kid, but maybe she just didn't know any better.

What I do know is, I will never, EVER make my daughter feel about her body the way the adults in my life made me feel about mine. Period.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread... just a sore subject, probably for many. :grumble:
  • I just wore one a couple of weeks ago at the God for Saken weight of 195...I wasn't the best looking, but I wasn't the worst, my husband, my good friend from MFP and his wife had to see me like this...And to accessorize my bikini I also wore my confidence because life is short....
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wear what you want.It doesn't matter how much you weight, but how you wear it. Self Confidence is the motto!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Not if the person wearing it loves doing so.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    How do YOU feel in a bikini?? No matter how skinny I get I will prolly never be in one again. I don't feel comfortable. If you do, then go for it!! The worse thing would be getting somewhere and staying in your cover up all day or walking around with your hands/arms trying to cover your body. then everyone knows how uncomfortable/self conscious you are.

Go suit shopping and try on EVERY style till you find the one that makes you feel like a million bucks and THAT's the one. No matter the type!

Good luck Honey!! You will rock whichever you choose!

+1
  • shangrilamama
    shangrilamama Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on wearing one on our cruise in January. I'm hoping to be under 160 by then but if I'm not but feel confidant in myself I'll probably still wear it.

If YOU feel confidant then you'll look marvelous!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you're comfortable with. Other people don't get to make those decisions for you.

Personally, I felt very uncomfortable in a bikini at 140 (I'm 5'4"), so I doubt I would wear one twenty pounds heavier, but that's just how I felt about my own body. It shouldn't influence how you feel about yours.
  • CuAlMc
    CuAlMc Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    if you feel comfortable in it wear one. last October I went and bought one for our honeymoon and I wore it all the time I was 198 at the time and im only 5'5. I felt comfortable in it and even though my tummy isn't flat and is covered in stretch marks from my 2 beautiful kids the only persons opinion that I cared about was my husbands and I know he loves me being in a bikini. he has been trying to get me into one since I had the kids. I wouldn't wear one everytime swimming especially with the kids god knows how much more skin could be shown with them around.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    What you should be asking here is, "Is 23 years too long to be criticizing your daughter?".
    Sounds like your mom has got a few demons to battle of her own...
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Hi I am looking for your honest opinion. I am a 23 year old female. I am 5'5" and 160 pounds. Do I weigh too much to wear a bikini. My mom told me I don't have the body to wear a bikini. I just want the opinion from other women who weigh about the same as me or wore a bikini when they weighed 160 pounds.

People carry weight differently. Also, height and body fat% both play an important role is what a certain weight looks like on different people. That being said, none of those things factor in confidence. If you put on your bikini and feel good in it, then wear it. If you don't, then wear something else. Either way, let the decision be your own, and based on how you feel.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My grandma used to say crap like that all the time. Wear what you want and own it. If anybody else doesn't like it they can look elsewhere.
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How-to-Wear-a-Bikini-for-Your--e1368302621966.jpg
  • blakeevan04
    blakeevan04 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • ovi212
    ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely not too large! Any body is a bikini body if you wear one and have confidence :) Enjoy your time in your bikini and show off that great body you own and have worked for!
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have worn a bikini at 249 lbs. on my 5'4" frame and I looked rll cute in it. Don't listen to your mom. (In this instance, anyway.)
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm your size and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to wear, if not a bikini? I haven't worn a one piece since I was a child. I'm 28 years old, if I want to wear a bikini, I'm going to and think you should too!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 150 lbs and I don't even own a one-piece. Wear whatever you're comfortable in. The only time you should refrain from wearing a bikini is if you think you'll be all self-conscious about it. If not, do it.
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    I find it odd when people debate a bikini or a one piece. Is a few inches of fabric over or not over your stomach that big of a deal? I mean you half naked anyway. People can still see the shape of your body in a one piece.

Nudity for everyone.

^^^^ LOVE IT!