Odd assumptions

Options
I teach High School Chemistry and Physics, and it's interesting to me the number of assumptions my students make about me based on appearance. For example, yesterday a boy decided that I must be a vegan or, at the very least vegetarian, who does not eat anything unhealthy (good thing he didn't bring up my drinking habits :drinker: ). Several students who are selling gift cards for fundraisers choose not to ask me because I obviously don't eat out...that would be unhealthy. And, heaven forbid they're selling candy! I'd never eat that crap!

So, what about you? What silly assumptions do people make about you?

Replies

• BigBellyGoAway
    BigBellyGoAway Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    People assume that I'm an evil bastig that will pop them in the kneecap with a metal pipe.

Wait, that's not odd at all. :bigsmile:
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Most people assume I'm sweet and kind of stupid.
  • bunnypanther
    Options
    Most people think I'm girly and sqeaky and a bimbo.

I am girly and squeaky. I may have big boobs but also have brains. Most are surprised I'm actually a science geek :D
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Most people think I started eating healthy and getting fit because of my girlfriend, who is a nutritionnist.

Nope! She's the one who suggests who go and eat McDonald's, buy a bottle of wine or sit our *kitten* in front of the TV instead of going for a walk. She's thin, but not fit. Mostly because she doesn't eat too much. ^_^

tumblr_mi2y962oPa1rfsim9o1_500.gif
  • siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options

I am girly and squeaky. I may have big boobs but also have brains. Most are surprised I'm actually a science geek :D
    perfect combinations there!
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Most people think I'm sweet.... I've even been called Angelic! Ha, if they only knew :devil:
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    People assume I'm part white...

...when I'm half Hispanic....

THEN they assume I speak spanish.

...I don't. lol :noway:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Most people assume I am angry and/or mean. it's mainly because I don't smile a whole lot and i am often quiet in large social situations

I have had multiple people tell me that they thought I was a jerk, or they were intimidated by me until they got to know me. Just a couple weeks ago, I was just standing in a bar not doing anything and a guy came up to me and started telling me that he bets I am one bad mother (shut yo mouth). I honestly think he though about fighting me, but some how decided that it wasn't a good idea, and then, in a weird way, admired me... when I hadn't really done anything. But he was drunk, so...

And while I will stand up and/or fight if necessary, in general I'm pretty happy-go-lucky, laid back, amiable person. I just look like I am not.
  • BigBellyGoAway
    BigBellyGoAway Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Wanna do some experiments with the laws of thermodynamics?
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options

Seems like a great combination to me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Some people assume that I NEVER eat bread, pizza, or sweets and I strictly follow a diet that is Paleo, Atkins, or something along those lines since I've clearly lost a lot of weight in the past few years.

Most of the confusion though involves my husband being pescetarian. I also ate that way for 1 year just to try it out, but I missed beef and chicken (which I eat only occasionally). When you choose not to eat beef, pork, or poultry etc, but still eat seafood, dairy, eggs, people get very weird about that. Most people assume that he is a strict vegan and that he won't eat anything from a "regular restaurant" when in truth he can find a meal ALMOST anywhere.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Most people assume that I do drugs. I suppose it's because I have a few piercings and tattoos. Every time I get pulled for anything, they want to search my car.

The truth is that other than a little pot in high school, I've never so much as tried an illegal drug...and I've been offered everything from coke to opium. I've never been tempted.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Back in high school my locker was always picked "randomly" to be searched by dogs for narcotics and weed. I never even used my locker, I was too afraid to go to it because I was bullied and didn't want to give people easy opportunities to pick on me. I was always lumped in with the bad kids because I wore a lot of black. Had a squeaky clean record and was a good student, but that didn't matter at all.

A lot of people also think I must be a lesbian because I have short hair. The number has gone down the older I get, but it still amazes me how archaic and baseless peoples' assumptions are.

People also assume I'm a snob because I don't talk to them ... it's just because I have social anxiety. :(
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    Most people assume I am arrogant and mean.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Honestly people used to assume I'm super smart because I wear glasses and was kind of a loner. That all changed when I came out of my shell and started talking to people. Yeah, I'm average. Way average.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Many people assume that because I am a white southerner, drive a 4X4, and served in the Army, that I am an ignorant, racist redneck.
    While I do have a lot of southern in me, (the 4X4 part) I am actually a surfer who holds a full time job as a SQL analyst.
    And for some reason, most of my friends are minorities (although my wife is a ginger)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    People assume because I'm old I must also be sensible.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    A lot of people assume I'm dumb - I'm not.

A lot of people assume that since I am very nice when I meet people that I won't stand up for myself whether it's a coworker, friend, or a random crappy situation. I'm actually quite assertive and will fight for what is right.

Most people assume I would like to get dressed up and go out every night and be surrounded by people. Truthfully, my dream is to sit at home in peace with magazines, books, and a bottle of wine.

people also probably assume I like to eat - which I do :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Most people assume that I do drugs. I suppose it's because I have a few piercings and tattoos. Every time I get pulled for anything, they want to search my car.

The truth is that other than a little pot in high school, I've never so much as tried an illegal drug...and I've been offered everything from coke to opium. I've never been tempted.

Appearances are so funny that way! Grr, kind of annoying really.

When I was in high school, I tried pot ONE time with my mom (her only time to try it LOL) and drank maybe once a month. I had a beater car with band stickers all over it and dressed like a grunge/hippie/alterna-girl (it was the 90s!) and was constantly assumed that I was a huge stoner, people asked me to score them stuff, I got profiled by the cops frequently, etc.

When I was a sophomore/junior in college I smoked pot several times a day, drank every weekend at least, regularly transported friends to their illicit activities and so on. But I drove a grandma car and basically looked/dressed just like Monica Lewinsky and was on the debate team. No one ever assumed I did anything worse than order a margarita at dinner.