Don't eat vegetables

Options
Hi, I've started resistance training now to build muscle and I'm meeting my protein intake as well and not going over my calories, I do eat baked beans nearly everyday which is considered a vegetable, but apart from that I hate any other vegetable, will I still be able to build muscle doing this?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Out of the hundreds of vegetables in existence and the numerous ways there are to cook them, you've never found one vegetable you like?
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You will lack in other nutrients if you are only eating beans and meat which will hinder your progress in the long run. You might see some growth but if your overall goal is, for example, bodybuilding you will probably never get there without a balanced intake of nutrients. Calories or not.
  • Scottmufcrvp1
    Scottmufcrvp1 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Out of the hundreds of vegetables in existence and the numerous ways there are to cook them, you've never found one vegetable you like?
    Correct.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    not to split hairs but beans are legumes. pretty sure muscle building relies on protein (From what ive read) but your body would like a rounded diet. although for 20 years mine survived on pizza, pasta, bread and cheese.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Baked beans also have a lot of extras that take away from their benefits. Delicious, yes... not necessarily the healthiest. I'm also surprised you can't find one vegetable... corn even? What about adding some to smoothies?
  • Scottmufcrvp1
    Options
    You will lack in other nutrients if you are only eating beans and meat which will hinder your progress in the long run. You might see some growth but if your overall goal is, for example, bodybuilding you will probably never get there without a balanced intake of nutrients. Calories or not.
    My goal isn't to be a body builder, I just want a more defined chest and to lose the belly fat I have left to show my abs, I'm not aiming to look like a WWE wrestler
  • Scottmufcrvp1
    Options
    Baked beans also have a lot of extras that take away from their benefits. Delicious, yes... not necessarily the healthiest. I'm also surprised you can't find one vegetable... corn even? What about adding some to smoothies?
    I kind of like sweet corn.. And how often would I have to eat vegetables? Because there's no way I could eat them everyday
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    not supporting this, but yes, you can build muscle without eating vegetables...
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I kind of like sweet corn.. And how often would I have to eat vegetables? Because there's no way I could eat them everyday

What would you eat instead? For me, it'd be hard not to eat them everyday because I feel like my diet would be severely limited. It's hard enough for me to get enough fiber and minerals already. Just mixing some "tasteless" ones like spinach into a smoothie or into your cooking could benefit some.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The broad recommendation is to eat at least 5 portions of fruit and veg (but mostly veg) per day.

So while it may not have an impact on your weight loss or muscle building, your health will suffer without them.

I know you say you've tried them all, in all teh different ways they can be prepared. When my children were being picky about veg there were always SOME that they'd eat - tomato sauce with pasta, crunchy carrot sticks with a humous dip, little cherry tomatoes, cauliflower cheese, mushrooms on a pizza.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend therapy; your inner child is being given WAY too much power.

Or... You can just stay horrible. That's totally an option.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I hate veggies, but will eat just about any fruit.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    veggies.......yuckie:laugh:
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Suck it up, I used to hate vegetables until I forced them down a few times and now I love them. Also you should slap your parents for this!
  • fholley23
    fholley23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    With all the ways you can pair foods with other foods no to mention the variety in preparation I am sure there is a way to eat more veggies and enjoy them. You just have to broaden your palette a little. With that said I guess if you supplement your diet with a multivitamin you could still reach your goals with adequate protein intake...but I am certainly not recommending this.
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Try grating tho,gs up to add to sauces and such. I grate carrots into tomato sauce, and zucchini into mac and cheese for example. Grated zucchini is pretty tasteless, i add it to the pasta water 2mins before the pasta is done. The texture gets hidden with the noodles and the taste is hidden by the cheese. My kids never know hahahaa.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    V8

You can build muscle without veggies though.
  • janeishavingtrouble
    janeishavingtrouble Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A smoothie is a good idea. You can use fruit but slip in some carrots, and other veggies and you will not taste them.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Correct.

Not even potatoes?