Don't eat vegetables

Options

Replies

• swissmish
    swissmish Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pretending your fork is a chew, chew train?

That's what works for my son when he won't eat his broccoli.

Personally I pretend my fork is a jet plane! :smile:

^This. ahahaha :laugh:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Out of the hundreds of vegetables in existence and the numerous ways there are to cook them, you've never found one vegetable you like?
    Correct.

Sounds like you're doing it wrong!

Me - I love vegetables. I don't think I've met one I don't like. However, a good friend of mine eats no vegetables (other than grains). He's talked to his doctor who told him that taking a vitamin and some fiber is good enough and there's no *need* to eat veggies if you can't.

(Please don't take my 3rd party hearsay as medical advice. Ask your doctor.)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Out of the hundreds of vegetables in existence and the numerous ways there are to cook them, you've never found one vegetable you like?
    Correct.

So you've tried every vegetable prepared in every way it can be.

Doubtful. :huh:
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    No, technically you don't need vegetables to survive. If surviving is all you intend to do.
    As far as I'm aware, there's nothing to prove that if you don't eat a single vegetable your whole life, you'll drop dead at age 35.

Not a smart move though.

Listen to the advice given here, you might need to change perspective up or use a little imagination instead of looking for support to only eat what you feel like. Your body's requirements for good health are more complex than calories/ protein/ what you like the taste of.
  • kilsafari
    kilsafari Posts: 61
    Options
    Vegetables are so good and probably the most versatile of all the food groups..... shaking my head at veggie haters
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest are you still eating 1600-1800 cals day - because that will hider your muscle building more than a lack of veggies.
  • DJLMB
    DJLMB Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Do you like tomato sauces, the type you get on pasta or pizza? If so, you could try cooking up lots of peppers, onions, courgette etc in a big pan in the oven with a little oil and some garlic, and then whizz them up in a blender with a couple of cans of chopped tomatoes and a whole tube of tomato puree. You'll hardly taste the other vegetables AND it'll be healthy for you :)
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Like I tell my husband, nobody likes them, just choke it down.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You could try blending them into smoothies.

You could try getting one of those cookbooks that teach people how to "hide" vegetables from their kids.

You could try ordering vegetable sides at good restaurants, to experience how they can be prepared in a tasty way. That might be half the problem, because growing up in my family they were generally boiled or raw with little seasoning. That meant I mainly liked sweet ones, like corn.

You could experiment, pick up a different vegetable at the market, learn some recipes but don't make a big deal out of liking it or not. If you tolerate it, even if it's not your favorite thing, add it to your regular menu and remember it's a tool for health. Eating a serving of vegetable is like lifting a weight, a tool to get you where you want to go.

Personally, I asked a very similar question years ago on a different forum. Nowadays, I eat green veggies several times a week which is a big change. I also eat onions, they're sweet, and potatoes. I found a few veggies I tolerate raw, and then chop up my protein and mix together.
  • StarFit4Life
    StarFit4Life Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try hiding them in a smoothie. My go to fruit and veggie smoothie/juice is pineapple, strawberry, kale, parsley and carrots! No veggie taste at all! Yummy!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Like I tell my husband, nobody likes them, just choke it down.

Wrong, so many people love vegetables, maybe not all vegetables, as not all vegetables are created equally.

But i will not "just choke it down", I will enjoy every damn bite of my vegetables.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest are you still eating 1600-1800 cals day - because that will hider your muscle building more than a lack of veggies.

I was just going to say something like this. If you're trying to build muscle you need to be eating at a surplus (i.e. over your TDEE), so when you say you're "not going over your calories" I wonder if yr not doin it rong.

And, regarding the veggies...yes, you should eat them. Even if you don't "like" them. Suck it up, buttercup.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Not loving vegetables, either..plus they seem like a lot of work.

But, got to eat them...

I go for the "high impact" veggies like broccoli/cauliflower/carrots.

This sounds very weird, but I put frozen bags of one of these (or a mixture) on the top rack of the dishwasher, have my dishes on the bottom and run the dishwasher. This defrosts them.

I take two cookie sheets, spray with canola oil Pam, drizzle with no salt salt and spread the veggies evenly. Spray the top of the veggies the Pam again, drizzle with the salt.

Put in a preheated oven at 400 for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Now, this is not the "perfect" way to make veggies, but I've tried "perfect" (steaming, raw, organic home delivery) and the only thing we got was a neighborhood full of fat rabbits (since I hate to waste food....)

I get crunchier, flavorfull veggies which I eat as snacks or add to soup/casseroles/beans for texture.
  • MissMegannLee
    MissMegannLee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I hate vegetables....but I gotta do what I gotta do. I sneak spinach into almost EVERYTHING. If it's diced diced up or shredded and cooked, you hardly know it's even there. Have you tried making smoothies and sneaking veggies in? Like I said...I hate vegetables but I can find a few that I do like and I stick with those. It's better than none at all.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Baked beans also have a lot of extras that take away from their benefits. Delicious, yes... not necessarily the healthiest. I'm also surprised you can't find one vegetable... corn even? What about adding some to smoothies?
    I kind of like sweet corn.. And how often would I have to eat vegetables? Because there's no way I could eat them everyday

OP.... you are 18 now. You are an adult. If we did only stuff that we liked in life, we would most likely not go to work, clean our rooms or houses, drive the speed limit, etc. It's time to put your big boy pants on and start eating vegetables EVERY DAY.

They are more important than just for muscle building. You need them to live into your 40s and 50s without any serious diseases from being malnourished.

What you can do, and what I do to get a whole bunch down quickly is to just put 2-3 cups of broccoli, cauliflower, kale, spinach, or other GREEN vegetables in your blender, put water or milk in along with your protein, and blend it all and drink it down as quickly as possible. That'll get you quite a few servings of veggies in an easy way for you to handle.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    This sounds very weird, but I put a frozen bags of one of these (or a mixture) on the top rack of the dishwasher, have my dishes on the bottom and run the dishwasher. This defrosts them.
    Holy crap! I guess that's one way of "eating clean"! Those bags... they're not as sealed as you think they are. Lots of them are permeable so you can steam them in the microwave.

Also, I'd be afraid of the veggies spilling out and getting on my clean dishes. Or the food being in contact with the heated plastic bag for that long. I think a microwave is just fine for defrosting.
  • wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Dude. You may not want to look like a WWE wrestler but is it your intention to sound like a spoilt 5 year old...?

Jus' sayin' O.o
  • wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It's time to put your big boy pants on and start eating vegetables EVERY DAY.

They are more important than just for muscle building. You need them to live into your 40s and 50s without any serious diseases from being malnourished.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    I am now In my 30s and have never ate vegetables (only potato and corn).

Up until I hit 28 I was 108lbs ( 5'8 ) and could not gain weight. then over the last few years of eating huge meals and drinking way to much beer got to 180lbs but that was also due to quitting smoking and having some health issues.

Started limiting my diet and working out and surprise surprise I am loosing weight with out vegetables. Down to 157lbs since Feb 14

Not saying to not eat them, just that my body for one seems to do just fine with out them.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My goal isn't to be a body builder, I just want a more defined chest and to lose the belly fat I have left to show my abs, I'm not aiming to look like a WWE wrestler

You can't spot-reduct fact. Nor can you build muscle in one targeted area. That's why there are compound exercises. Muscles complement each other (i.e. chest and triceps; back and biceps).

I never liked veggies either. I used to hate broccoli, but now I have no problem eating it raw.

No one said it'd be easy. Do what you have to do.