Don't eat vegetables

Options

Replies

• blkane1984
    Options
    Actually, I used to hate veggies too. Meat and potatoes were my staples. As I started on a healthier lifestyle, I added in more fruit. Then, I decided that I didn't need all that sugar so started adding in veggies. It started out as mostly salads but I started expanding out and experimenting. I have learned to really enjoy veggies. It is all in the preparation. If you give them a try, I guarantee you at some point in the future you palate will crave them. You may reach your external physical goals with meat & baked beans but at what cost to what's on the inside? Not a judgement...just a caution.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Out of the hundreds of vegetables in existence and the numerous ways there are to cook them, you've never found one vegetable you like?
    Correct.

Not even potatoes?
    And I can't believe you won't eat grilled onions or mushrooms on a burger. You're seriously missing out.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Out of the hundreds of vegetables in existence and the numerous ways there are to cook them, you've never found one vegetable you like?
    Correct.

Not even potatoes?
    And I can't believe you won't eat grilled onions or mushrooms on a burger. You're seriously missing out.

Or steak...

grilled-t-bones-steaks.html
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Correct.

Sounds like you're doing it wrong!
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Correct.

Not even potatoes?

^this! I just had grilled mushrooms, onions and peppers with my eggs for breakfast, mmmmmm.

It can take awhile to develop a pallet for veggies, and there will be some you never like. I can't eat kale at all, so far can not find a way to cook it. But adding a cup to my smoothie with some fruit and protein powder, can't taste it at all!
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I think you need to suck it up and find some different ways to cook them. I used to hate them as well, actually hate is a pretty strong word, I just preferred to put other things in that spot on the plate. Anyways, over the last couple years i have tried different ways of cooking them and have started loving some of them. I even started to LOVE Brussels Sprouts. Just the smell of them cooking used to make me gag. Then I discovered baking them with a little olive oil and seasoning. OMG, something changed because now I can eat them raw or cooked.

I think you would be surprised on what a serving is as well. It actually isn't that hard to get 5 servings in. There are some days I have 4 servings of vegetables just with lunch.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pretending your fork is a chew, chew train?

That's what works for my son when he won't eat his broccoli.

Personally I pretend my fork is a jet plane! :smile:
  • ReniPeckham
    ReniPeckham Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Beans are a plant food. But they are legumes. Not the same catagory as green vegetables. You are definitely missing out on some very important nutrients.

http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/foodpyramid.aspx
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Actually, I used to hate veggies too. Meat and potatoes were my staples. As I started on a healthier lifestyle, I added in more fruit. Then, I decided that I didn't need all that sugar so started adding in veggies. It started out as mostly salads but I started expanding out and experimenting. I have learned to really enjoy veggies. It is all in the preparation. If you give them a try, I guarantee you at some point in the future you palate will crave them. You may reach your external physical goals with meat & baked beans but at what cost to what's on the inside? Not a judgement...just a caution.

There you go!

I've always been a veggie eater.....but preparation is HUGE. In another post someone hated veggies because of texture........they are NOT all the same. Preparation will change textures completely.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've started resistance training now to build muscle and I'm meeting my protein intake as well and not going over my calories, I do eat baked beans nearly everyday which is considered a vegetable, but apart from that I hate any other vegetable, will I still be able to build muscle doing this?

I would appeal to your health, but you're 18 and invincible so that won't help at all.

You sound like the type of person who will completely ignore the risks of your lifestyle until you have some major health event in your 30s, 40s, or 50s. And then it will largely be too late.

So... enjoy yourself.
  • anewdesign
    anewdesign Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pretending your fork is a chew, chew train?

That's what works for my son when he won't eat his broccoli.

Personally I pretend my fork is a jet plane! :smile:

hahahahahah!!
    i think this is my favourite reply to this post.

well done sir.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I would appeal to your health, but you're 18 and invincible so that won't help at all.

You sound like the type of person who will completely ignore the risks of your lifestyle until you have some major health event in your 30s, 40s, or 50s. And then it will largely be too late.

So... enjoy yourself.
    Exactly. In the words of the almighty Rush, "We are only immortal for a limited time."
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You can have baked cubed sweet potato topped with spicey black bean sauce. I always trick my family and chop 2 cups of spinach into the sauce... you cannot taste it at all.

Or maybe when you're over 21 and become a real big boy with adult taste buds you can try this:

http://kelseysappleaday.blogspot.com/2012/12/meatless-monday-southwestern-stuffed.html
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Correct.

You're not going to build a healthy, manly body by being a baby at the table. Quit whining and eat your veggies. You'll eventually develop a taste for them.

Note: Generally speaking, I like raw veggies better than cooked veggies. When I first started eating them I felt like I was grazing on the front lawn. Now, a couple years later, I like them and my diet feels incomplete when I don't eat them on any given day.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Is it a taste thing, such as bitterness? Or a texture/mouthfeel thing? If you think about WHY you don't like vegetables, you are probably likely to find some way of preparing specific types of vegetables which are OK with you, or be able to google ideas.

Do you like fruits? If so, tomatoes, bell peppers, chillis etc, are all strictly fruit and can be relatively sweet-tasting.
  • MarissaPalm
    MarissaPalm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    try multi-vitamins?
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options

There you go!

I've always been a veggie eater.....but preparation is HUGE. In another post someone hated veggies because of texture........they are NOT all the same. Preparation will change textures completely.
    Word. I hated cauliflower for YEARS. Then I had cauliflower gratin at a swanky restaurant, and I'm hooked. I roast it, put it in curries, bake it with parmesan, parboil it and mill it and turn it into pizza crust... UNF. Good stuff, maynard.

I wasn't allowed to not like veggies as a kid. Mom just said, "you simply don't like it -this- way. Let's try [x]!" It might take 8 tries, but darn if there wasn't -some- way I liked every veg she put in front of me.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Meat and beans. I'm constipated just thinking about it...

For real, put on your big boy pants and suck it up. When in doubt, butter.